Photo
- - - - -

How Do You To A Give Salaam?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you reply to someone who says "As Salaam Alaikum" to you? I'm spelling it by sound pronounciation. (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you reply to someone who says "As Salaam Alaikum" to you? I'm spelling it by sound pronounciation.

1. Walaikum Ahs Salaam (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

2. Walaikum Moo Salaam (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Walaikum Salaam (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

4. Other (tell us how you prouunce it?) (1 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 --**MinorityOpinions**--

--**MinorityOpinions**--

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:26 PM

As Salaam Alaikum,

How do you reply to someone when they "As Salaam Alaikum"?

I have heard that the only two correct ways to say it are, Walaikum Ahs Salaam or Walikum Moo Salaam. But some poeple say Walaikum Salaam.

My mom says, "Walaikum Moo Salaam" (like "mu" but no u sound, more like an o sound)

I say, "Waliakum Ahs Salaam".

What about you?

#2 Hasib

Hasib

Community Leader

• IF Guardian
  • 14,595 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

:D

I just reply with :D hehe..

"Walaikum Salam"

#3 Dominique

Dominique

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:29 PM

But some poeple say Walaikum Salaam.

What's wrong with that? That's how I say it most of the time; w'alaikum salam. :D

#4 --**MinorityOpinions**--

--**MinorityOpinions**--

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

As SAlaam Aliakum,

What's wrong with that? That's how I say it most of the time; w'alaikum salam.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I'm not really sure.... but this is what soemone was trying to explain to me (i may not explain right)...

Well there's the meem in it and when it's written out with the vowels, above the meem there is a vowel above it that looks like a swirl (i'm not sure what it's called).

That swirl above makes you add a "u" sound. like meem would turn into "mu".

Now I guess if you carry the "Mu" sound then the "Ah" sound will go away and you'll just flow into the "salaam" part. But if you don't carry the "mu" and just say "walikum" then I guess you have to add the "Ah" to it and it turns into 'Ah Salaam".

I'm not an arabic speaker, nor am I a good arabic reader... so maybe someone else knows what I am talking about?

Basically if anyone is an arabic speaker and a good arabic reader (or at least know what I'm speaking about).... why exactly is the "Ah" sound dropped if you say "Walaikum Salaam"? (why can you?)

salaam

Edited by DemaChanRas, 27 June 2005 - 06:19 PM.

#5 rofi

rofi

SubhanAllahi wa bihamdihi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • Interests:www.as-sabiqoon.com

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:27 PM

I think you are meant to say WalaikumASsalam

#6 Princess Mujahada

Princess Mujahada

Stranger In This Life

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,751 posts
  • Interests:If I have offended you in anyway, please forgive me.<br /><br />If you see me doing something Islamically wrong/inappropriate, please let me know as soon as possible!<br /><br />Jazak Allahu kheir

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:03 PM

Walakum mas'salam

or

Walakum ahs salam

I think I say both.... not much different tho

Allahu alam

#7 desertdweller

desertdweller

"...We are nearer to him than (his) jugular vein."-Qaf

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts
  • Interests:do not waste time. this life is only temporary.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:57 AM

I just reply with :D hehe..

"Walaikum Salam"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D i knew some one would post a reply like that

#8 jk_89

jk_89

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

Wa 'alaykum assalam :D

#9 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

As-salaamu 'alaikum

I thought it would be nice to share some relevant [img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/glossary/glossary_a003.html#ayah"]aayaat[/url] and [img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/glossary/glossary_a000.html#ahadith"]ahaadeeth[/url]:

Allaah said:

Adn (Eden) Paradise (everlasting Gardens), which they shall enter and (also) those who acted righteously from among their fathers, and their wives, and their offspring. And angels shall enter unto them from every gate (saying): "Salaamu Alaikum (peace be upon you) for that you persevered in patience! Excellent indeed is the final home!" (13:23-24)

When you enter the houses, greet one another with a greeting from Allaah, blessed and good. (24:61)

When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) respond to it equally. Indeed, Allaah is ever a careful Accountant over all things. (4:86)

The Prophet (sall-Allaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said:

Allaah created Adam, making him 60 cubits tall. When He created him, He said to him, “Go and greet that group of angels, and listen to their reply, for it will be your greeting (salutation) and the greeting (salutations) of your offspring.” So, Adam said (to the angels), “Assalaamu Alaikum (i.e. Peace be upon you).” The angels said, “Assalaamu Alaika Wa Rahmatullahi (i.e. Peace and Allah's Mercy be upon you).” Thus the angels added to Adam's salutation the expression, “Wa Rahmatullahi.” Any person who will enter Paradise will resemble Adam (in appearance and figure). People have been decreasing in stature since Adam's creation. (Saheeh al-Bukhaaree).

When one of you reaches an assembly (of Muslims), let him give them Salaam. When he wishes to depart, let him give them Salaam as well. Indeed, the first (Salaam) is not more rightful than the last. (Abu Daawood, at-Tirmidhee & others)

You shall not enter paradise until you believe, and you have not believed until you love one another. Shall I tell you of something you can do to make you love one another? Spread the greetings of Salaam (peace) amongst yourselves (i.e between each other). (Saheeh Muslim)

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

abu suhaylah

#10 *eli*

*eli*

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

I say "wa'likum assalam"...

Your muslim sis

#11 Sister_Truth

Sister_Truth

QuEeN Of MuNcHKiN LaNd

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

I say Walaikum assalam...
JazaakAllah brother abu_suhaylah for the ayaat and ahadith
sis Verity :D

#12 Jawharah

Jawharah

. . . amatullah . . .

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts
  • Interests:Bugging you...
    Annoying you...
    Irritatating you...
    Basically, anything that doesn't make you too happy. ;) Unless you're weird, and you get happy by the above, in which case, I advice you to seek help. Fast!

Seriously though...my interests are anything to do with the Quran and Sunnah. :) And sewing and crocheting. :)

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:13 AM

lol...its at 50/50 right now.

Anyways, I say Wa alaikum salaam. :D

Jazakallah khair brother abu_suhaylah. :D

#13 soulja-ess

soulja-ess

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:23 PM

wa'alikum ahs salaam :D

EDIT- typo

Edited by al-islam_huwa_al-haq, 29 June 2005 - 09:23 PM.

#14 Paki Brother

Paki Brother

Got Imaan?

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:37 PM

I usually respond Walaikum Asalaam Wa Rahmatullah.

What I can't stand is when Indo/Paks say Slaahlikoom. What the heck is that? Ticks me off everytime my mom and sisters say that!

Or after you give initial greetings they will say Slaahlikoom back instead of Walaikum Asalaam or they will VAHLAIKUM ASALAAM.

Why can't they say it with a W?

#15 Jawharah

Jawharah

. . . amatullah . . .

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts
  • Interests:Bugging you...
    Annoying you...
    Irritatating you...
    Basically, anything that doesn't make you too happy. ;) Unless you're weird, and you get happy by the above, in which case, I advice you to seek help. Fast!

Seriously though...my interests are anything to do with the Quran and Sunnah. :) And sewing and crocheting. :)

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:46 AM

I usually respond Walaikum Asalaam Wa Rahmatullah.

What I can't stand is when Indo/Paks say Slaahlikoom.  What the heck is that?  Ticks me off everytime my mom and sisters say that!

My own family doesn't do that.. my omg, mannny tell me that, and I'm like :D :D . Tried explaining it to them..but they brush it off sayin I'm tryna be Arab. :D