Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo

If A 'non Muslim' Dies, What Are Muslims Supposed To Say?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sunni_muslim

sunni_muslim

• PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:37 PM

:D
general question i guess, reason i asked is because (as some might know)i watch wrestling, one huge wwe star passed away on sunday. eddie guerrero. i met him in person last october and it was just a shock to me as well as the wrestling industry and in america.
so are we supposed to show our respects or just 'ignore'? because i asked another person about this who also watches it and said

You saw him (not to make you sad or bad and please do not take any offence) and now you won't see him again. We should take a lesson from this, make effort on our faith in Allah and to pray to Allah that we die with the kalima. This story has even affected me and given me a wake up call with regards to religion and hopefully it lasts. So may Allah reward you well for this. Ameen.

i agree, it is a wake up call especially in media wise, because its not often you hear a big star passing away, especially someone who is quite known across usa and uk and around the world.

Edited by sunni_muslim, 14 November 2005 - 07:39 PM.

#2 friend of all

friend of all

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:36 AM

Can any one tell the dua to recite when non-muslim die.
I also want to know who our reaction should be when some non-muslim die. What about their funeral process, can we attain that?

#3 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 06:04 AM

I don't know what the strict law on this is, but I don't think Allah would mind us condoling the death of another human being, regardless of his faith. As far as reading a dua for him I see no harm in saying a simple prayer to Allah for him. After all, we are ALL created by Allah, whether we are Muslim, Jew, Christian etc. If a non-muslim friend of mine were to pass away I would certainly attend his/her funeral although I would not join in specific prayers if s/he were not Ahl-e-Kitaab. Again, just my opinion based on the fact that Allah is Ar-Rahman and Ar-Raheem.

#4 ***Mu'min***

***Mu'min***

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:24 AM

Please be warned dear Brothers and Sisters, we are forbidden in making any Du'a for the disbeliever when they die. This is fully supported in Quran, authentic Hadith, actions and teachings of the Salaf and all Scholars of our time. There is no difference of opinion in this respect.

We can make Du'a for their family and friends still living in asking Allah to guide them to Islam only.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

#5 friend of all

friend of all

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:30 AM

Please be warned dear Brothers and Sisters, we are forbidden in making any Du'a for the disbeliever when they die. This is fully supported in Quran, authentic Hadith, actions and teachings of the Salaf and all Scholars of our time. There is no difference of opinion in this respect.

We can make Du'a for their family and friends still living in asking Allah to guide them to Islam only.
---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

but there is a something to recite when non-muslim die. I remember that the part of translation include that he/she will be in the hell forever.....

Edited by friend of all, 20 November 2005 - 04:30 AM.

#6 Abdul-Karim

Abdul-Karim

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 06:34 PM

in'na lillahi wa in'na ilayhi rajeeoon. but we can not make du'a for those who have died outside of Islam.

#7 - IQRA -

- IQRA -

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  • Interests:ISLAM

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:37 PM

but there is a something to recite when non-muslim die. I remember that the part of translation include that he/she will be in the hell forever.....

yes...ive "heard" the same...

Wallhu Alim

#8 Paki Brother

Paki Brother

Got Imaan?

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

:D this will answer the question about attending funerals of non-muslims.

Question :

Attending a non-Muslim neighbor's funeral:
According to one hadith of the Prophet(pbuh)ralated by Tabarani regarding the rights neighbors it says: "The rights of the neighbor is that, when he is sick you visit him; when he dies, you go to his funeral;........"
Since this hadith is talking about neighbors and the neighbor can be a non-muslim, so is it permissible for the Muslim to attend a non-Muslim's funeral? Please shed light on this issue in accordance with the Qur'an and the Hadith.
Also this issue is very important for the new Muslims whose parents have not accepted Islam. Is it permissible to attend a funeral for the non-Muslim parents?
May Allah (swt) bless you. Ameen

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a Muslim to attend a kaafir’s funeral if the kaafir is a relative, such as a mother, father, brother or other relative, but it is not permissible to join in the prayers or any other rites of their religion.

Zakariya al-Ansaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “He may (i.e., it is allowed for the Muslim and is not makrooh) attend the funeral of a kaafir relative, because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood from ‘Ali who said, ‘When Abu Taalib died, I came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘Your uncle, the misguided old man, has died.’ He said, ‘Go and bury him.’” (Reported by al-Nisaa'i, 190). Al-Adhraa’i said: “It is possible that this includes permission to attend the funeral of a wife or slave…”

As for visiting graves, in al-Majmoo’ it says: “The correct view is that this is permissible, and most scholars said this, because of the hadeeth narrated by Muslim in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘I asked my Lord for permission to ask for forgiveness for my mother, and He did not give me permission; I asked Him for permission to visit her grave, and He gave me permission.’ It was reported that he also said: “Visit the graves, for they remind you of death.” (Asnaa al-Mataalib Sharh Rawd al-Taalib, part 1, Fasl: Mashiy al-Mashee’ li’l-Janaazah).

CONTINUED BELOW......

Edited by Paki Brother, 01 January 2006 - 11:40 PM.

#9 Paki Brother

Paki Brother

Got Imaan?

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 11:39 PM

One of the differences between going to a Muslim’s funeral and going to a kaafir’s funeral is what was mentioned by al-Mirdaawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) in his book al-Insaaf, where he says in a footnote: “ ‘Those who are walking should walk in front of it [the coffin]’ means that this is better, and this is the madhhab, and this is the opinion of most of the scholars [of that madhhab]. The author of al-Ri’aayah said: “He may walk wherever he wishes.” Al-Musannif said in al-Kaafi: “Wherever he walks, it is OK… and his saying, ‘The riders [should travel] behind’ means that this is better. So there is no dispute in this matter. If he is riding, it is makrooh for him to ride in front.” This is what al-Majd said. What was meant by “the riders [should travel] behind” is that this is how it should be done in the case of a Muslim’s funeral, but if it is a kaafir’s funeral, then the rider may go in front, as mentioned previously.” (al-Insaaf, part 2, Kitaab al-Janaa’iz).

This is provided that attending the funeral does not involve doing anything haraam, such as listening to musical instruments and so on; in that case attending the funeral is haraam. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.Islam-qa(contact admin if its a beneficial link))

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=2278&dgn=4"]SOURCE[/url]

#10 T. Farooqi

T. Farooqi

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 12:52 PM

in'na lillahi wa in'na ilayhi rajeeoon.

you are not supposed/allowed to say that for passed away kafirs, it's for Muslims only. for kafirs it was slightly changed I just saw it somewhere a few days ago but can't remember where.