Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo

Do Plants And Animals Have Souls?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 atha

atha

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

Assalam-u-Alaikum
Would someone kindly provide evidence from Quran and/or Sunnah as well as philosophical arguements to prove the following thesis. "Plants and animals both have a soul"
I have been debating this issue with a muslim brother and I feel that I need some assistance in proving my thesis. So kindly help out. I have been searching the net and reading the Quran. I have found some relevant text in the Quran.
Surah 41. Verse 11: "Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been
(as) smoke. He said to it and to the Earth, "Come together, willlingy or unwillingly. They said, "We come (ogether) in willing obedience"
Also I read this hadith. I don't know how strong it is. Would someone find out if this is a strong or a weak hadith. :-) Here it is. "Ibn Masud and other companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that Allah the Almighty sent Gabriel onto the earth to get Him clay therefrom. The earth said: “I seek refuge in Allah from your decreasing my quantity or disfiguring me.” So Gabriel returned and did not take anything. He said: “My Lord the earth sought refuge in you and it was granted.” So Allah sent Michael for the same purpose, and the land sought refuge with Allah and it was granted. So he went back and said to Allah what Gabriel has said before him. Then Allah sent the Angel of Death, and the land sought refuge in Allah, the angel said: “I also seek refuge in Allah for not returning without carrying out his command”. So he took the clay from the face of the earth and mixed it. He did not take from one particular place, rather he took white, red and black clay (from different places)."
So if we see from here, Earth does have a will, doesn't it. Extrapolating from this, one can say that plants and animals also have one.
There are more arguements which I can add here but right now I am running out of time. I eagerly await an intelligent response. :-)
take care
Assalam-u-Alaikum

#2 Joseph

Joseph

aka Yusuf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts
  • Interests:Islam, spirituality, philosophy, science, medicine, sports entertainment, and whatever kills time.

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:03 PM

As-Salamu alaykum WR WB

All I know is that in Islam, images of living things are Forbidden for the sole reason that they have a soul. Does this not refute the idea that almost all things contain souls? Sister Atha, you are correct when you say that animals do in fact have a soul, but I'm not so sure about plants and the rest.

#3 talha aj

talha aj

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

well...

#4 strider

strider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

Assalamu alaikum

Is having a soul equal to having a conscience? :D

Ma'assalama

#5 brother_in_islam

brother_in_islam

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:computers and ...........................................................................................................................................i don't know....................................................................................

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:32 PM

Assalamu alaikum

Is having a soul equal to having a conscience? :D

Ma'assalama

yes as far as i know, because when u look at a bad person dying their uncontious (is that how u spell it?) but the yell and want to keep living but their soul must be taken so u see when u are conscience then u must have a soul :D

#6 strider

strider

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,698 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:36 PM

Assalamu alaikum

If that is the case then animals do not have souls. Right?

Ma'assalama

#7 TheBurk

TheBurk

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:12 AM

Assalam-u-Alaikum
Would someone kindly provide evidence from Quran and/or Sunnah as well as philosophical arguements to prove the following thesis. "Plants and animals both have a soul"
I have been debating this issue with a muslim brother and I feel that I need some assistance in proving my thesis. So kindly help out. I have been searching the net and reading the Quran. I have found some relevant text in the Quran.
Surah 41. Verse 11: "Moreover He comprehended in His design the sky, and it had been
(as) smoke. He said to it and to the Earth, "Come together, willlingy or unwillingly. They said, "We come (ogether) in willing obedience"
Also I read this hadith. I don't know how strong it is. Would someone find out if this is a strong or a weak hadith. :-) Here it is. "Ibn Masud and other companions of the Prophet (peace be upon him) said that Allah the Almighty sent Gabriel onto the earth to get Him clay therefrom. The earth said: “I seek refuge in Allah from your decreasing my quantity or disfiguring me.” So Gabriel returned and did not take anything. He said: “My Lord the earth sought refuge in you and it was granted.” So Allah sent Michael for the same purpose, and the land sought refuge with Allah and it was granted. So he went back and said to Allah what Gabriel has said before him. Then Allah sent the Angel of Death, and the land sought refuge in Allah, the angel said: “I also seek refuge in Allah for not returning without carrying out his command”. So he took the clay from the face of the earth and mixed it. He did not take from one particular place, rather he took white, red and black clay (from different places)."
So if we see from here, Earth does have a will, doesn't it. Extrapolating from this, one can say that plants and animals also have one.
There are more arguements which I can add here but right now I am running out of time. I eagerly await an intelligent response. :-)
take care
Assalam-u-Alaikum

while i cant provide any evidence from the quran as i havent memorized it yet, (ive gotten about a third of the way through reading though) but, since humans are living things, and we have a soul or spirit, it follows that animals and plants do to as they are very much alive, i look at it this way, what is a soul? its commonly refered to as a spirit, spirit comes from the term for breath, it refers to what makes you alive, now, humans, and plants, and animals all have one thing in common, they rely on small magentic and electrical pulses to survive, even the smallest of animals has a electical charge of some kind, this is what essentialy keeps one alive, in the case of a plant its a little different, but they do have a small static charge, and the bacteria inside them do as well, so, what happens when you die and lose your soul from your body? you loose your electrical charge, your brain stops functioning, and looses its charge, this is what i believe ghosts are, is a sort of imprint in the fabric of the universe of someones magnetic image, that didnt follow over when their body lost its charge, i personaly believe that god, and all spirits do exist, in another demension, one that while seperate from our demension can act upon it. its all very hard to explain, but anyway this is the stance from my scientific knowledge.

#8 TheBurk

TheBurk

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:21 AM

Assalamu alaikum

If that is the case then animals do not have souls. Right?

Ma'assalama

no no no, being concious and being self aware are two different things, and most animals are self aware. what is conciousness? it is the ability to process input, and react to different input, a tree will grow toward light, and go away from darkness, so in a since it is concious, on a very low level, but still. even the most basic of organisms will do this, humans basicly do the same thing, only of course on a much higher level. when i look at my cat, i know hes thinking, hes smart, he understands to an extent what i am saying, slighly less then a child, but still, he knows what im saying and can understand my intent and show it, so id say he is not only concious, but on a level to where i can understand him. (infact hes whineing for food right now, because he knows as long as he yowls ill feed him, hes got me trained :D ) now, the reason some animals are more able to think, is because they have more things to respond to, a cat has to be pretty smart to kill a bird, as birds in order to fly had to develop a rather complex brain. this is why i know humans evolved from apes, (i see evolution as a means to an end, evolution was the means and man was that end, but i believe the objective of god starting evolution was that an aware creature would eventualy come out of it, from one of many things, but in our case we came from apes) apes are very intellegent, id liken them to a 2 year old human, in intellegence, they are very smart, and have personalitys, but are still juvinile, and not as in control or as inginuitive as humans, but, they had to develop large and complex brains to deal with swining through the trees, and not falling or crashing in to anything, that is how evolution works, the bird that flys around the tree has babys, and its babys fly around trees, but the bird that hits the tree dosent have babys, and those babys dont fly into trees.