#1 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,760 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

:sl:

We Muslims repeat the 99 names of Allah :sw: in all occassions, and we listen to them in several beautiful nasheeds, but what's amazing, is that we didn't stop once to search the source of these names, who taught them to us?

A recent study by Dr. Mahmoud Abdul Razek Al Radwany, a professor in the faculty of sharia, Al Azhar university, showed that only 69 of those names are authenticated from the Quran and sunnah, while 29 of the names we repeat are not authentic.

Of these 29 names, 22 names are not names of Allah :sw: but they are 'af'aal and awsaaf' that no personal ijtihad should be used to extract names from:

Al-Khaafid
Al-Mu^iz
Al-Muthil
Al-^Adl
Aj-Jaleel
Al-Ba^ith
Al-Muhsee
Al-Mubdi'
Al-Mu^eed
Al-Mumeet
Al-Waajid
Al-Maajid
Al-Waaly
Thul-Jalali wal-Ikram
Al-Muqsit
Al-Mughni
Al-Maani^
Ad-Daarr
An-Nafi^
Al-Baaqi
Ar-Rasheed
As-Saboor

and of those 29 incorrect names, 7 names must be mentioned 'modafa' or added to, as it appeared in the context of the Quran:

Ar-Raafi^
Al-Muhyi
Al-Muntaqim
Aj-Jaami^
An-Noor
Al-Haadi
Al-Badi^

The hadith of the prophet :s: about the 99 names of Allah :sw: didn't mention what these names are. It was not proven that prphet Muhammad :s: specified the 99 asmaa alhusna in one hadith. What happened was that 3 of the hadith narrators, in the period from the end of the sencond hijri century, to the beginning of the third hijri century, tried to collect these names by ijtihad, either derived from the Quran or from sunnah, or transferring from others in their time. The first and more famous of those 3 is Al Waleed Ben Muslim mawla Bani Uma'ya. He managed to collect 98 names, in addition to lafdh al jalala 'Allah'. In most cases, when he was speaking to people about the hadith of the 99 names, narrated by Abu Hurayra, radey'Allahu anhu, he often followed it by mentioning the names he collected. This repeated connecting of the authentic hadith and his own collection of names made the people think that they were both mentioned by the prophet, so they memorized it, and it spread among people, up until today.

A summay of the study was published in the Egyptian daily, Al Ahram, in Nov 18, 2005, in Arabic. I tired above to translate a few paragraphs. If anyone found the translation of the full study published in the web, it would be useful to post the link here.

:j:

#2 DAWATEISLAMI.NET mustvisit

DAWATEISLAMI.NET mustvisit

• PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:33 PM

salaam brother the whole world is reading it and i have never heard from the ulamas that 29 names are wrong :D and please can u give the link aswell jazakallah

#3 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:48 PM

:sl:

Unfortunately, the web version is a subscription only link. Here is the link to the newspaper, but only today's edition is available for non-subscribers:
http://www.ahram.com.eg

Besides, the whole world saying it is not enough proof brother, it never was.

#4 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:07 PM

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Dear Dot

I would just like to add the following that I transcribed if I may:

Eemaan Made Easy: Knowing Allaah
By Dr. Muhammad al-Jibaly

Chapter 3: Allaah’s Names & Attributes

Knowing Him Through His Creation

When we see the great things that Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) created in this world, we know a great deal about Him:

* We know that He is great, because He created the great and huge world that we see.
* We know that His knowledge is great, because He knows exactly what to do.
* We know that His mercy is great, because He takes care of us and all of His creation.
* We know that His kindness is great, because He is kind to us and everyone else.
* We know that His wisdom is great, because He does things in the best way.

Knowing Him from the Qur’aan & Sunnah

Also, we learn a great deal about Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) from what He told us about Himself in the Qur'aan, and from what the Prophet Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) told us in his hadeeth’s. These are the only two ways to learn about Allaah properly.

This is how we learn Allaah’s names and attributes. Allaah (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) is known by His excellent names and supreme attributes. They tell us all we need to know about Him.

The Excellent Names

Allaah’s names are called the excellent names because they are all good and wonderful. Allaah’s excellent names are found in the Qur'aan and true (authentic) hadeeth’s of the Prophet (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). Nobody is allowed to make up names for Allaah.

#5 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:08 PM

The Number of Names

The excellent names are very many. Only Allaah knows how many they are. Allaah taught us more than one hundred of them. We should learn as many of them as possible in order to know our Lord (subhaanahu wa ta’aala) better. Among Allaah’s names that we know, there are 99 that have a special importance. The Prophet
Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) said:

“Surely, Allaah has 99 names, one less than 100. Whoever counts these names will enter Jannah.” (Saheeh al-Bukhaaree & Saheeh Muslim)

Counting Allaah’s 99 names does not mean only to count their number. It means:

a) Knowing them.
b) Understanding their meaning.
c) Living in a way that shows that we know and believe in them.

For example, when we know that Allaah is as-Samee’ (the Hearing), we understand that He hears everything from everyone at all times. We would then be careful not to lie or say bad things. We would only say what pleases Him. This way, we have properly counted this name of Allaah - inshaa’Allaah.

Some Wrong Names

We should be careful about the list of 99 names that is often hung on walls or put on the inside covers of Qur’aan books. Some of those names are correct because they come from the Qur’aan. But not the whole list is correct because it is taken from a weak hadeeth. It contains some untrue names that are not correct in meaning. So we should teach the people around us to be careful with that list and tell them not to hang it in their houses or Masjid’s.

Another problem with that list is that some people hang it thinking that by that they have counted the 99 names. This is very wrong. Counting the names means much more than this, it means living all of our lives according to them, as we explained above.

[End of Extract...]

I have a list of authentic and unauthentic names that I will try to either post or upload inshaa'Allaah!

Was-salaamu 'alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

#6 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 01:12 PM

As-salaamu 'alaikum

Since the lists of the authentic and unauthentic names of Allaah are in a table format it is easier for me if I just upload the documnets, so here there are:

Attached Files

#7 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

:D

Thanks brother aboo uthmaan. But actually the list you uploaded is not 100% authentic, according to the new and precisee study, which was assisted by computer research of the Quran, authentic sunnah and electronic Islamic encyclopedias. Many names in the first list are among the incorrect ones.

Here is some more details about that imprortant issue:
For any Muslim to try and find asma alhusna derived from the Quran, there are several rules to abide by. The study used these rules to determine the correct names:
  • Authentecity of the context:
    Because there is no authentic hadeeth that details the names, then it is required in order to count them that the name is found either in the Quran or authentic sunnah. Allah :D said 'al asmaa al husna' notice the 'al' (the) meaning that these names 'exist' and so our role is only to 'count' them, not derive or extract from verbs. Counting is made only for things that exist, and so we cannot know other than that which is stated in the Quran or sunnah.
  • the name being a 'noun'
    this part is about Arabic grammar, and so hard for me to translate, but breifly, there are five conditions of names, that distigwish them from a verb or a harf. Ibn Maalek collected those conditions in his saying: "b'el jarr w'at'tanween w'al nedaa' wa 'al' wa musnad lel ism tam'yeez hasal"
  • Independance of the name
    this condition means that a name must not be dependant on any additional words, so that a name of Allah must have completeness and beauty on its own, in addition to thankfulness and praising.
  • the name must be descriptive of its meaning
    'an yakoon isman ala musam'ma'
  • desciption of of the name must lead to absolute completeness
Again, apologies for not being able to translate the whole thing, as there are many Arabic grammar terms that I don't know the English for.

#8 Arsalan

Arsalan

Slave of Allah.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Islam , Science, Maths.. cricket, trees clouds rain, sparrows, birds.. blah blah blah

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:52 PM

Bismillah..

Asalamulaikum

Aint seen this type of info before. JAZAKALLAH KHAIROUN for reminding us about the 99 names of Allah subhan'talah

Just to add an AUDIO recitation of the 99 names of Allah swt in mp3 ]format.

Download-Link for 99 names of Allah in mp3 format.

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_rapidshare.de/files/11108384/aAsma_ul_Husna.mp3.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_rapidshare.de/files/11108384/aAsma_ul_Husna.mp3.html[/url]
(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_rapidshare.de/files/11108384/aAsma_ul_Husna.mp3.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_rapidshare.de/files/11108384/aAsma_ul_Husna.mp3.html[/url]

OR

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_radio.indymedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/news/2005/02/3740_comment.php"]AUDIO LINK (Asma ul Husna) MP3 Format.[/url]

1 click link above.
2 right click mouse parton on (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_radio.indymedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/uploads/asma.mp3"]"MP3 at 3.2 mebibytes" [/url]which is the first one and click on "Save Target as" to download.
3 or just click to listen.

7:180

"And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allah, so call on Him by them, and leave the company of those who belie or deny (or utter impious speech against) His Names. They will be requited for what they used to do. "

Surah Al-Ghaafir (40:60)

"And your Lord says: Call upon Me, I will answer you; surely those who are too proud for My service shall soon enter hell abased."

#9 Al Farooq

Al Farooq

Qul Huwalla'hu Ahad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

Al-Bukhaari (2736) and Muslim (2677) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever learns them will enter Paradise.”

Some of the scholars (such as Ibn Hazm – may Allaah have mercy on him) understood this hadeeth as meaning that the names of Allaah are limited to this number. See al-Muhalla, 1/51

But what Ibn Hazm said is not supported by the majority of scholars. Rather some of them (such as al-Nawawi) narrated that the scholars are agreed that the names of Allaah are not limited to this number. It seems that they regarded the view of Ibn Hazm as odd and as something that should not be paid any attention.

In support of the view that the beautiful names of Allaah are not limited to this number, they quoted the report narrated by Ahmad (3704) from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no-one who is afflicted by distress and grief, and says: ‘Allaahumma inni ‘abduka ibn ‘abdika ibn amatija naasyati bi yadika, maada fiyya hukmuka, ‘adlun fiyya qadaa’uka. As’aluka bi kulli ismin huwa laka sammayta bihi nafsaka aw anzaltahu fi kitaabika aw ‘allamtahu ahadan min khalqika aw ista’tharta bihi fi ‘ilm il-ghayb ‘indaka an taj’al al-Qur’aana rabee’ qalbi wa noor sadri wa jalaa’ huzni wa dhihaab hammi (O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave, son of Your maidservant; my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You, that You make the Qur’aan the life of my heart and the light of my breast, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety),’ but Allaah will take away his distress and grief, and replace it with joy.” He was asked: “O Messenger of Allaah, should we learn this?” He said: “Of course; everyone who hears it should learn it.”

Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah, 199.

The phrase “or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You” indicates that there are beautiful names of Allaah that He has kept with Him in the knowledge of the Unseen, and which none of His creation has come to know. This indicates that there are more than ninety-nine Names.

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] said concerning this hadeeth in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (6/374):

This indicates that Allaah has more than ninety-nine names.

And he said (22/482):

#10 Al Farooq

Al Farooq

Qul Huwalla'hu Ahad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:56 PM

Al-Khattaabi said: This indicates that He has names that He has preserved with Him, and that indicates that the words “Allaah has ninety-nine names, whoever learns them will enter Paradise” mean that there are ninety-nine of His names which whoever learns them will enter Paradise. This is like saying, “I have one thousand dirhams which I have prepared to give in charity,” even if his wealth is greater than that. In the Qur’aan Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (all) the Most Beautiful Names belong to Allaah, so call on Him by them”

[al-A’raaf 7:180]

Allaah has commanded us to call upon Him by His names in general terms, He did not say that He has only ninety-nine names.

Al-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) stated in Sharh Saheeh Muslim that the scholars were unanimously agreed on that, and he said:

The scholars are unanimously agreed that this hadeeth does not mean that Allaah has only ninety-nine names, or that He does not have any other names apart from these ninety-nine. Rather what the hadeeth means is that whoever learns these ninety-nine will enter Paradise. The point is that one may enter Paradise by learning them, not that the number is limited to these names.

And Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about that and replied:

The names of Allaah are not limited to a certain number. The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) in the saheeh hadeeth: “O Allaah, I am Your slave, son of Your slave… I ask You by every name belonging to You which You have named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the Unseen with You.”

What Allaah has preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with Him cannot be known and what is not known is unlimited.

With regard to the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Allaah has ninety-nine names, one hundred less one. Whoever learns them will enter Paradise,” this does not mean that He does not have any names apart from these, rather it means that whoever learns these ninety-nine of His names will enter Paradise. This is like when the Arabs say: “I have one hundred horses which I have prepared for jihad for the sake of Allaah,” which does not mean that the speaker has only these hundred horses, rather these hundred are prepared for this purpose.

Source Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 1/122.

#11 *Dreamer*

*Dreamer*

• PipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:Learning and trying new things everyday........reading....swimming...shopping..

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:04 PM

you hear something new everyday........

#12 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:16 AM

As-salaamu ‘alaikum

Dear brother Dot

In the article that you posted, the respected Shaykh, Dr. Mahmoud ‘Abdul-Razek al-Radwany stated that certain names cannot be counted as names of Allaah because they are actions and/or descriptions, but later on you stated some of the rules that must be abided by when deriving the names of Allaah, one of which was descriptions. Have I understood this right?

Dear all

There is no specific number for Allaah’s names; the proof for this is the saying of the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) in the well-known du’aa:

“I ask you by every name that you have named Yourself with, or which You revealed in Your Book, or which you taught to anyone from amongst Your creation, OR WHICH YOU KEPT TO YOURSELF IN THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE UNSEEN.” (Ahmed & Ibn Hibbaan, Saheeh)

So whatever Allaah has kept to Himself of His names, it is not possible for anyone to count their exact number.

As for the hadeeth: “To Allaah belong 99 names, whoever enumerates them will enter Paradise”, then this is not a proof that Allaah only has 99 names. The hadeeth says that there are 99 specific names of Allaah which if enumerated, memorised and acted upon etc. will cause a person to enter Paradise. It did not say: “The Names of Allaah are 99 whoever enumerates them will enter Paradise.”

To illustrate this, If I said: “I have 100 pounds which I have kept aside for charity.” This does not prevent the fact that I also have other pounds which I did not keep aside for charity.

It is not established from the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) that he listed the 99 names mentioned in the above hadeeth. In fact all the hadeeth’s which have the above wording, but then go on to list the names are all da’eef, as explained by Shaykh-ul-Islaam in Taymiyyah (see Majmoo’ ul-Fataawaa, Vol.6).

Languages consist of verbs and nouns. Nouns are objects, like a table, cat, planet, car, a person, etc. In school we learnt that a noun is a ‘place, person, or thing’. As for verbs, then they are ‘doing words’ as we learnt in school. In other words, verbs represent actions. Verbs are of 2 types:

1. Verbs which require another object to complete the meaning, or to give a meaningful sentence. For example: The verb ‘to meet.’ If I want to use this word I must also mention that thing or object which my action relates to. If I said: “I met” and then stopped my sentence there, it does not make sense and it does not give a meaningful sentence. I must add something to the end to complete the meaning. For example: “I met the Sultan of Brunei’” or “I met the local postman.”

2. Verbs which give a complete meaning in themselves. For example: The verb ‘to sleep.’ If I said: “I slept.” That’s all I need to say, because to sleep I don’t need another object or thing to do this action.

Can you see the difference between the 2 different types of verbs?

#13 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 08:17 AM

So we should know and realise the difference between a verb that relates to something, and needs that something to complete the meanings and a verb which does not need anything else and has a complete meaning in and of itself.

Some of Allaah’s names are from verbs, so...

If a name of Allaah is verb which needs something to complete its meaning then we affirm 3 things:

1. The Name itself
2. The attribute or quality it gives evidence to
3. How this quality or attribute relates to the creation and its ruling and what it necessitates

An example of this is the name Ar-Razzaaq (The Provider), so we:

Affirm the name: Ar-Razzaq
Affirm the attribute: Allaah Provides
Its ruling and implication: Allaah provides for and sustains the whole of creation. He sends the rain, splits the seed and causes the herbage to grow etc. and by all this, He feeds and clothes the whole of creation.

And if a name of Allaah is a verb that does not needs something else to complete its meaning then we only affirm 2 things:

1. The Name itself
2. The attribute or quality it gives evidence to

An example of this is the name is the name As-Samad (The Self Sufficent), so we:

Affirm the name: As-Samad
Affirm the attribute: Allaah has the quality of being ‘self-sufficient, independent of everything else

The Names of Allaah are both names or identities and also Descriptions. What this actually means is that when we have a name of Allaah. It actually consists of:

1. A name or something which acts as an identifier. Just like a person may have a name such as Zayd. So we know that this person is known by this name. And if we were to say ‘Zayd’ everyone would know who we are referring to.

2. The quality or characteristic it indicates or gives evidence to. To illustrate, if we take the name ‘Al-Aleem’ (All-Knowing), we know from this that Allaah has the title or name of ‘Al-Aleem’ firstly, and secondly that He must therefore have the quality or characteristic of ‘knowledge.’

And the same goes for all of the names of Allaah. They are names firstly, and they indicate certain qualities or characteristics.

#14 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

This shows that all the names of Allaah are similar in the sense that they refer back to Allaah, but they are different in the sense that they each carry a different meaning. To explain what this last sentence means. If I said: ‘Al-Aleem’, ‘Al-Aziz’, al-Qawiyy’ (The All-knowing, The Mighty, the Strong), then all of them refer back to Allaah, so they all refer to one thing. The essence of Allaah!

However they all carry different meanings. So the meaning of ‘Al-Aleem’ is not the same as that of ‘Al-Aziz’ and so on for all of the other names.

To show this further, we know that the Messenger (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) had different names: The Messenger of Allaah, ‘Abul-Qaasim, Muhammad, Ameen, etc. So if I said to you ‘Abul-Qaasim’, you know I am referring to the Prophet Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). If I said to you ‘Messenger of Allaah’, you know I am referring to the Prophet Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), if I said to you ‘Ameen’ you know I am referring back to the Prophet Muhammad (sall-Allaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam)

So in this sense the different names and titles all refer back to the same person. However, they all carry different meanings because they give evidence to different qualities or attributes.

So Allaah is called ‘Al-Aleem’ (All Knowing) and He has the characteristic of knowledge
Allaah is called ‘Al-Hakeem’ (All Wise) and He has the characteristic of wisdom
Allaah is called ‘Al-Ghafoor’ (All Forgiving) and He has the characteristic of forgiving
Allaah is As-Samee (All Seeing) and He has the characteristic of seeing.

And the same for all of the Names of Allaah, they are: 1) Names firstly; and 2) they give evidence to the attributes or qualities behind them.

For the creation, they might be given a name but they might not necessarily have the quality that it indicates. For example someone might be called ‘Saadiq’ (truthful), yet he could be a liar, or someone might be called ‘Ameen’ (trustworthy) yet he might not be trustworthy, or someone could be called ‘Raheem’ (merciful) yet he could be really harsh and mean. So for humans, they can be called by a name, but they do not necessarily have the quality which the name indicates.

As for Allaah, then He is called by His names because He has the qualities that they indicate in a most perfect and complete way, with no deficiency whatsoever. So Allaah’s actions arise from His Perfect names and attributes. He forgives because is the All-Forgiving and He has the quality of forgiveness. With the creation however, we give them names based upon their actions. What this means that we can only call someone ‘truthful’ if he really is truthful. We can only call someone ‘generous’ if his actions prove that he is generous. So people receive these titles and descriptions when they prove in their actions that they have these qualities. So the perfection of people lies in their actions. However, for Allaah, His actions come from His Perfection, from His names. In other words it is the other way around.

#15 Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

Aboo Uthmaan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

I hope all of this makes sense and I know that the respected Shaykh, Dr. Muhammad al-Jibaly would have also painstakingly researched to ensure all the names he stated are authentic are and all of the names that he stated are unauthentic are. But he, like everyone else is only human and none of us are free from erring, so it may also be worth reading the following:

(www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.al-meezaan(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ebooks/explanation_names_attributes.p"]An Explanation of the Beautiful & Perfect Names & Attributes of Allaah by Imaam Abu ‘Abdur-Rahmaan Naasir as-Sa’dee[/url]

Imaam Abu ‘Abdur-Rahmaan Naasir as-Sa’dee (d.1376H) is one of the most respected scholars of his era, and he is from the major scholars (Kibaar-Ulamaa) of his time. The above link is an extract from his ‘Taysir al-Karim al-Rahmaan’ in which the respected scholar mentions 89 names of Allaah from the Qur’aan alone, he then brings the aayah in which that name is mentioned as proof. The list grows to 103 names from the Qur’aan alone when the works of other scholars are added to the list.

May Allaah guide us to what is good and correct!

Was-salaamu ‘alaikum

Aboo Uthmaan

#16 daud

daud

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Now, in 2009 this topic is revived for there is a page on Wikipedia (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Names_of_God_in_the_Qur'an"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Names_of_God_in_the_Qur'an[/url] that says “A recent scholar, Dr. Mahmoud Abdel-Razek, made an attempt of this kind and explained in detail why he differs in opinion with al-Waleed about enlisting some of the names.”
Here Wikipedia gives a link to (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetasmaullah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetasmaullah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)[/url], but I am aggrieved to find this site doesn't seem to now have anything to do with this Divine subject, and I am disappointed in not being able to read Dr. Mahmoud Abdel-Razek's explanations and reasoning.
Is there another site that is online on which I could read his discourse? Or has it been published elsewhere?
Because of the importance of this subject to Islam it would be much better to have a correct link in Wikipedia not an eronious one

#17 daud

daud

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

Evidence leads me to believe that Dr. Mahmoud Abdul Razek was too narrow minded. I conclude there are only two such names: 96 Al-Bāqi and 99 Aṣ-Ṣabur. All the other 30 Divine Names that he asserts are “not in the Quran” have nevertheless been given Quranic references, even in Wikipedia!
It may be true that computer searches for these 32 names will not find them. But that is because computers cannot search for synonyms, condensations of phrases, or implications.
As ‘Dot’ in this forum on Jan 15 2006 wrote “For any Muslim to try and find asma alhusna derived from the Quran, there are several rules to abide by … ‘Independence of the name.’
 This condition means that a name must not be dependant on any additional words, so that a name of Allah must have completeness and beauty on its own, in addition to thankfulness and praising …”

EXAMPLE
I have looked up the first on the list, number 22, Al-Khāfiḍ, The Abaser, which the compiler of the list in Wikipedia says comes from Quran 95:5 “Then We send him back to the lowest of the low. (Thumma radadnahu asfala safileena)
In this case a name could be derived from the verb Radd which means to send back or return. But following the rule ‘Independence of the name.’
 Radd cannot be used because it does not necessarily result in lowness. Radd can just as well mean to reinstate someone to a high position. So Radd depends on the rest of the sentence for its meaning. Al-Waleed ibn Muslim therefore summed up the whole sentence in one word: Al-Khāfiḍ The Abaser.

I wonder if the rest of these names listed are like that?
You could check some out and let us all know,

22, Al-Khāfiḍ, The Abaser, 95:5
23, Ar-Rāfiʿ, The Exalter, 58:11, 6:83
24, Al-Muʿizz, The Giver of Honour, 3:26,
25, Al-Mudhill, The Giver of Dishonor, 3:26,
29, Al-`Adl, The Just, 6:115
41, Al-Jalīl, The Majestic, 55:27, 39:14, 7:143
49, Al-Bāʿith, The Resurector, 22:7
57, Al-Muḥṣi, The Accounter, 72:28, 78:29, 82:10-12
58, Al-Mubdi', The Originator, 10:34, 27:64, 29:19, 85:13
59, Al-Muʿīd, The Restorer, 10:34, 27:64, 29:19, 85:13
60, Al-Muḥyi, The Giver of Life, 7:158, 15:23, 30:50, 57:2
61, Al-Mumīt, The Bringer of Death, 3:156, 7:158, 15:23, 57:2
64, Al-Wājid, The Finder, The Unfailing, 38:44
65, Al-Mājid, The Noble, The Magnificent, 85:15, 11:73,,
77, Al-Wāli, The Governor, 13:11, 22:7,
81, Al-Muntaqim, The Avenger, 32:22, 43:41, 44:16
85, Dhū-l-Jalāli wa-l-'ikrām, The Lord of Majesty and Bounty, 55:27, 55:78
86, Al-Muqsiţ, The Equitable, 7:29, 3:18
87, Al-Jāmiʿ, The Gatherer, 3:9
88, Al-Ghaniyy, The Independent, 3:97, 39:7, 47:38, 57:24
89, Al-Mughni, The Enricher, 9:28,
90, Al-Māniʿ, The Preventer, 67:21
91, Aḍ-Ḍārr, The Distressor, The Afflictor, 6:17
92, An-Nāfiʿ, The Propitious, The Benefactor, 30:37
93, An-Nūr, The Light, 24:35
94, Al-Hādi, The Guide, 25:31
95, Al-Badīʿ, The Incomparable, 2:117, 6:101
98, Ar-Rashīd, The Guide to the right path, 2:256

…………………

The compiler of the list in Wikpedia only agrees with Dr. Mahmoud Abdul Razek on two names. The compiler says only these two are not in the Koran:

96, Al-Bāqi, The Ever Enduring and Immutable
99, Aṣ-Ṣabur, The Patient, The Timeless.

But perhaps you can find them implied therein?
I hope the entry about Dr. Mahmoud Abdul Razek in Wikipedia will be modified.

As-salaamu 'alaikum