Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo

What To Say/do When Someone Passes Away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Muslim-for-Allah

Muslim-for-Allah

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:30 PM

Asslamo alykom,
I am not sure what to say to someone (who are muslims) when their close ones or friends dies. what do we tellthem or duaa we say when we meet them. i know that my culture raises their hands and read Surat Alfatiha. but since i never seen anyone else do it i think it might be bidah.
Jazakom Allho Khayr
Salam

#2 Umm e Sarwat

Umm e Sarwat

• IF Guardian
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:My only interest is Islam. <br />Working on my Imaan<br />Learning Islam<br />Teaching Islam <br />Worrying for The Ummah<br /><br /><br /><br />I search ways to Please Allah Subhana wa Ta'ala and how to Refute the tactics of Shaitaan .. <br /><br />May Allah guide me and be please with me and May i meet Him soon with a smile.. aaameen <br /><br /><br />&quot;O Allah! If I worship You for fear of Hell, burn me in Hell,<br /><br />and if I worship You in hope of Paradise, exclude me from Paradise.<br /><br />But if I worship You for Your Own sake,<br /><br />grudge me not Your everlasting Beauty.” (Rabiyah Basriyah)<br /><br />Taqabbal Allah

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Walaikum salam wa rahamtullahi wa barakatuhu

When Some Muslim passes away u say Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhirr rajioun,

now with regards as to what do u say to their closed ones, you console them, ask them to be patient, Tell them that this is Allah's will and the deceased was Allah's and we all have to leave one day, and ask them to pray for the deceased, may he/she be forgiven and May Allah bless him/ her soul ..

Jazak Allah khairan wa ahsanul jaza

La Tans min al dua

was salam

#3 umAhmad

umAhmad

Community Leader

• Support Team
  • 5,582 posts
  • Interests:To Learn and Teach knowledge of the Deen of Islam. I love Children.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:01 PM

Assalamu Alaikum, These days there have been a lot of funerals here among my friends families. Really it is hard to say anything to the close family, but as friends or family we have to console them. I tell them I am sorry for their loss, but inshaAllah this is a temporary place, inshaAllah I pray to Allah that you and the one you lost and all of your loved ones will by joined together in Jannah and live happily with each other there for ever. I also tell them that I will and they should also make duaa that Allah forgives any sins that they might have done, and make the grave a step towards Jannah.

If circumstances allow then I try to explain to them the normal cultural traditions that are connedt to death ceremonies that they should avoid doing, and to acquire patience, because our patience can help not only us but the younger ones that are around and also the decesed one.

Let me tell you though, since I am 52, then I can talk to them as an adult, and they listen to me, but if someone is young, then maybe it would be hard for them to talk in that way, but you can comfort them by saying that you will make duaa for them and the decesed one, and ask them if there any way you can help them, then you will be happy to.

I hope it will be easy for you to deal with the situation if and when you are faced with it.

Salaam.

#4 muzur

muzur

*happy*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts
  • Interests:Sufism, books, publishing, traveling, ice-skating, knowing new people, smiling

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Salamu alaykum,
we (Turks) consider the death important. In funerals we say "May Allah give remaining people longer life" or something like this. I think i cant translate it into english, it sounds weird :sl: also we say something much more common but i am afraid i cannot ever translate it cuz it sounds ridiculous in english.
But a very good comment by umAhmed. :sl:

#5 Muslim-for-Allah

Muslim-for-Allah

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Asslamo alykom,
Jazakom Allaho khayr for the reply everyone. InshaAllah I will say the Duaa from the Quran. Yeah its really tough to say anything to those who their relatives/friends passed away.
May Allah make it easier for them
Salamo Alykom