47 replies to this topic

#41 Lia

Lia

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

What would the other person answer if I asked: "Are you a liar?"

If the first answers: No then that means the first person is truthful.
If the first answers: Yes then that means the first person is liar.

Then you can ask the next people which door is the safe one...

Assalaamu Alaikum Wr Br

To Liberte:

if the first answers No, then they could be telling the truth that they aren't a liar or they could be lying by saying that theya re not a liar...you get me??

and it is the same thing for if they answer yes they are a liar because the answer itself is being truthful to the question...as in yes they are a liar meaning that they just told you that he is so he told the truth...

it works bith ways...that question would have a tricky answer...get it??

Inshallah tell me if u dnt understand my thinking..

Salaams

#42 abukhaleel

abukhaleel

ABUKHALEEL

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

i guess the question ought to be"are you a munafiq"...a yes answer means the person is truthful and a no answer means the person is not truthful.(saying of umar razi allahu anhu,"a person who does not doubt him/her self to be a munafiq is truly a munafiq")..this will show who the truthful is/are....next just say out loud,"i wish i knew which door lead to Islam"...the muslim among the 5 will have no choice but to show the correct door(that is how Islam is by definition: a muslim knows that 'mashvara/consultation is an 'imaanaa'...so the muslim among the 5 will be forced for his/her own sake to show the way)....salaam.

Edited by abukhaleel, 26 September 2008 - 10:27 PM.

#43 Sampharo

Sampharo

• IF Guardian
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hmmm. OK I think I got it.

What I would do is ask the first person: "Would the NEXT person say that door number one is the one we want if I ask him that?" And whatever the answer I get , I simply reverse it.

Basically if the man says "YES" then I should consider it as "NO", and if it's a "NO" I should take it as "YES". Reason being that if the person I ask is truthful, he will think regarding the lie that the next person is going to tell me and truthfully tells me the liar's answer, which is something I want to go against (For example if door number one is safe, the truthful man knows the liar will say it's NOT safe, and he will say "No" to me, so if I reverse it then it is "Yes" which is correct since it is safe). If the person I am talking to is a liar, he will think about the truthful answer the next man will tell me, and then HE will lie about it when telling me, so again the correct answer is the opposite of what is being said (If the door is safe, the liar knows the truthful man will say it is safe, but because he is a liar he will say it is not safe, so if I reverse it then it is "Yes" which is correct again)

By this method I establish a correct answer every question. I just ask them one by one regarding different doors one by one, and will know whether that door is safe or not every time.

The only remaining obstacle here is that we get to ask four questions, and there are five doors. I think the answer to that lies in the fact that if after 4 questions I get three yeses and one no, the door that I was told about to be a "no" is the safe one that I should use (after reversing the answer), and I don't need to know any other door. If the four doors I ask about are all yeses, then in reality they are all "no", and therefore the only remaining door is the truly safe one.

Did I get it right? :sl:

Sam

#44 Sampharo

Sampharo

• IF Guardian
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Oops, I just went through the messages on page two and realized the answer was already found. Ok, so now the challenge is three questions. Let's give this a try:

How about using door deductions?

Ask person number 1: "If I ask the next person about doors 1, 2, and 3, if the safe door is amongst them, what would he say?" and again reverse the answer. If the man says yes, then I know it's a no and the door is either 4 or 5, if the man says no, then I know it's yes and that it's indeed one of those three.

There you go, now we have two questions left and maximum three doors left. Another question to the next person would be breaking down the current list of doors we know the door is in. If it was 4 or 5, we just ask like before about them individually and use the safe one. If it was indeed amongst 1, 2 and 3, then we ask about individual doors, and if we get two yeses, or in reverse would mean two "no", it means the third door left is the only left option.

How is that one?

#45 Iraq11

Iraq11

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:14 PM

Oops, I just went through the messages on page two and realized the answer was already found. Ok, so now the challenge is three questions. Let's give this a try:

How about using door deductions?

Ask person number 1: "If I ask the next person about doors 1, 2, and 3, if the safe door is amongst them, what would he say?" and again reverse the answer. If the man says yes, then I know it's a no and the door is either 4 or 5, if the man says no, then I know it's yes and that it's indeed one of those three.

There you go, now we have two questions left and maximum three doors left. Another question to the next person would be breaking down the current list of doors we know the door is in. If it was 4 or 5, we just ask like before about them individually and use the safe one. If it was indeed amongst 1, 2 and 3, then we ask about individual doors, and if we get two yeses, or in reverse would mean two "no", it means the third door left is the only left option.

How is that one?

Awesome !

That's the correct answer. Thank you.

Iraq11

#46 Foxgarden

Foxgarden

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Religion: Non-religion

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:47 AM

Even though it's been solved, very unique riddle!

#47 umAhmad

umAhmad

Community Leader

• Support Team
  • 5,582 posts
  • Interests:To Learn and Teach knowledge of the Deen of Islam. I love Children.

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

Salaam, I wonder how much time theyspend in making the Riddles in the first place. solving the Riddles using logic reals spins my brain around and still I cannot solve them.

Salaam.

#48 Israa`eel

Israa`eel

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Although this was posted in 2006 i wanted to still have a go ... in page 2 it says they solved it, but i didnt understand the answer...

here's a way of doing it though:

1st Q: Ask person one: Is there any Muslims in any of the rooms.
if he is a Liar, he would say no
If he is truthful, he would say yes..

If he says yes, then you no that person:
1 is truthful,
2 is liar,
3 is truthful,
4 is liar
5 is truthful

2nd Q: point at door 1 and ask person 2 if that's the correct door [who you know is going to lie],
if he says no, then that is the correct door - and you solved the problem in 2 questions!
if he says yes, then door 1 can be totally ignored, which leads us to question 3 [and there are 4 possibilities now]:

3rd Q: ask person 3 [truthful] 'is the correct door in either door 2 or 3?'
if he says yes, then all you have to do is point at door 2 and ask the next person [liar] if its the correct one. if he says yes, then you know the right door is door 3. If he says no then its door 2... [so thats total of 4 Q's]

but if the truthful person says no, then you know that it is either door 4 or 5. now you can point at door 4 and ask the next person if its that one and....[same as above]

So in this method, you can get it in either 2 questions or 4. Also changing question 2, would allow you to get it in 3 questions and I can think of 2 different way altogther...but its gna be to long to type