Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo

Do Muslims Tithe?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Megan

Megan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 17 April 2007 - 03:55 AM

Do muslims have to tithe or give money to the Masjids? What percent? Do Muslim leaders have other jobs or are they supported by their "congregation"?

#2 umAhmad

umAhmad

Community Leader

• Support Team
  • 5,582 posts
  • Interests:To Learn and Teach knowledge of the Deen of Islam. I love Children.
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:17 AM

Hi Megan, welcome to Gawaher. I will try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.

No, Muslims do not have to Tithe or give Money to the Masjids, but if they want they can donate any amount they want to the Masjid on a monthly basis or once in a life time, but this is not compulsory, it is up to the individual, there is no hard and fast rule that the muslims HAVE TO.

As for the second question, it is not clear what you mean by Muslim leaders? If you mean the Imam of the Masjid, it could be either, there are Imams who have other source of Income and they fulfill the masjid duties solely for the pleasure of Allah without any monetary benifits from the congregation of individuals. There are other mams, who are paid from the Masjid funds, which are collected through donations from the congregations. Then there are places where some well to do members of the Muslim community may take the responsibility of looking after the needs of the Imams of the Masjid, so that the Imam can take care of the Masjid's religious needs without worrying about their earnings.

I hope this has answered your questions, if not.

umahmad.

#3 vishah

vishah

I was born 727 years after Ibn Taymiyya on the same day

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Islam and comparative Religion
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:19 PM

Do Muslim leaders have other jobs or are they supported by their "congregation"?

Are you meaning the person who is leading the prayer in congregation? or for presidents or kings?

As per the person who is leading the prayer in congregation which is called the Imam, well according to my knowledge, many have other jobs. It is not an obligations on muslims to pay a price for leading the congragation or for leading a prayer like Christians do. It is a duty towards Allah, and He will give a high reward for them, in the hearafter.

As far as charity is concerned, Islam encourages muslims to do it. Islam says that there will be a high reward for those who give charity. (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetjannah(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/charity.html"]Some more information about charity[/url]

Vishah