6 replies to this topic

#1 wat7315

wat7315

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:02 PM

:sl:

whats the Islamic way to clean yourself.......

1.i see people goto the bath room with a little water jug....do you pour the water on the toilet paper then clean yourself?

2.if your far from home, what would you do? clean yourself then when you get home get the water jug ready?

#2 M. Siddiqi

M. Siddiqi

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:17 PM

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullah,

Bathroom Ettiquette:

# Say before entering the toilet: In the name of Allah, O Allah! I seek refuge with You from all offensive and wicked things (Al-Bukhaaree)
# One should enter the toilet with the left foot and leave with the right foot.
# It is not permissible to enter the toilet whilst carrying or wearing anything bearing the name of Allah, such as the Quran, or any book with the name of Allah in it, or jewelry such as bracelets or necklaces engraved with the name of Allah.
# One should remain silent whilst on the toilet. Talking, answering greetings or greeting others is forbidden.
# One should not face nor turn your back on Al-Qiblah whilst relieving yourself.
# One should be out of sight of people when going to the toilet
# It is considered forbidden to relieve oneself whilst standing up, lying down or if you are completely nude.
# One should avoid going to the toilet anywhere where people may take rest or gather for any purpose.
# Do not raise clothes until you get close to the ground and do not uncover the body any more than is needed.
# One should sit on the feet (e.g. squat) keeping thighs wide apart with the stress on the left foot.
# Do not look to the private parts of the body nor the waste matter passed from the body.
# Do not sit more than needed.
# Do not spit, blow nose, look hither and thither, touch the body unnecessarily nor look towards the sky but relieve oneself with the eyes downcast in modesty.
# After relieving oneself it is essential to perform Istinjaa (washing with water) of the anus and/or genitals with the left hand and water. The precise mode of performing Istinjaa has also been defined by religious leaders: "At the beginning of Istinja, it is preferable to use toilet paper three times. If Istinjaa is being done on a hot day, then the person should start from the front to the back and then from the back to the front and the third time from the front to the back. If Istinjaa is being done on a cold day, then he should begin from the back to the front. After wiping, he should wash his hand first and then he should cleanse himself with two fingers and three fingers if necessary together with ‘pouring’ water. When using the two fingers, one should keep the middle finger in front and the ring and index finger behind it. After beginning with the fingers in this position, he should bring the ring finger forward and rub with the middle finger and ring finger. Thereafter, he will wipe with the index finger, if necessary. He should continue until all the impurity and smell is removed. The left over water after Istinjaa is paak only if there is no impurity in it." (Mufti Ebrahim Desai) And further: "To wash the orifice with water, even though no filth is stuck to it after relieving oneself, is desirable. If the filth is sticking to it (less than a Dirham or equal to it) then the use of water is 'Sunnah' (optional) and in the case the filth stuck to the orifice is more than a Dirham then its washing with the water is 'Fard'. (obligatory)"
# Other than toilet paper, water and the left hand Istinjaa can be performed with earth, grit, stones and worn-out cloths provided they are all clean. It is forbidden to perform Istinyaa with bone, any edible item, dry dung, baked brick, potsherd, coal, fodder, writing paper and anything which has even a small value.
# After this process the hands should also be washed.
# When leaving the toilet one should also say a prayer, "Praise be to Allah who relieved me of the filth and gave me relief."

[size=4]Istinjaa[using large font size is not allowed]

Q. What is meant by istinjaa ?
A. Getting rid of uncleanliness, which one gets when one goes to the toilet, is called istinjaa.

Q. How to do istinjaa after urinating?
A. After urinating, dry the urine with a clean piece of mud or toilet paper and then wash with water.

Q. How to do istinjaa after excreting feces?
A. Clean the private part with three or five clean mud pieces or toilet paper and then wash.

Q. When to do istinjaa ?
A. If urine or the excreta does not soil parts other than the private parts, istinjaa is mustahab. If uncleanliness has spread to other parts but covers a space of about a dirham, area of the circle of an inch diameter or less than that, it is sunnah. And if it is more than that, then istinjaa is fard.

Q. By what things should istinjaa be done?
A. By clean mud pieces, stones, or toilet paper.

Q. Use of what things in istinjaa is makrooh ?
A. The use of bone or eatables, or coal or cloth or paper[1] for istinjaa is makrooh.

Q. By which hand should istinjaa be done?
A. By left hand – istinjaa by right hand is makrooh.

[1] It is not appropriate to use paper for istinjaa when you also use it for writing and printing and reading. But with toilet paper, it is different. It can be used for istinjaa since it was made only for that purpose, not for writing or printing.

#3 wat7315

wat7315

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

:sl:

let me get this straight....use toilet paper, then pour water on the orifce? how...pour the water in to my left hand making my fingers wet, then use my fingers to clean?

#4 M. Siddiqi

M. Siddiqi

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

Wa Alaikum Salam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu,

That is correct. The goal is to make sure no excrement is left on your body or clothes.

#5 mcpriz

mcpriz

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

holy smoke :sl:

#6 believer6

believer6

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:23 AM

I hadnt clean myself like that i followed a book that tells me in one paragraph on how to clean myself of inpurities.. Firts it said, clean all unpure areas and then make wadu and then wash your hole body three times.

am i still pure? or do i need to re do the hole shower thing and if you are inpure can you still pray?

#7 M. Siddiqi

M. Siddiqi

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

I hadnt clean myself like that i followed a book that tells me in one paragraph on how to clean myself of inpurities.. Firts it said, clean all unpure areas and then make wadu and then wash your hole body three times.

am i still pure? or do i need to re do the hole shower thing and if you are inpure can you still pray?

As Salamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah,

I think what your talking about is ghusl, not the washing of yourself after defecation or urination.

GHUSL

Ghusl is an Arabic term referring to the full ablution (wudu) required in Islam. In order to enter a state of purity before salat, a Muslim usually performs the partial ablution, or wudu. In some cases, it is mustahab (recommended) to perform ghusl. These cases include:

1. Friday prayer
2. Entering ehram for hajj
3. Being unconcious
4. Burying a mushrik
5. Before going out for the Eid prayer
6. After a new Muslim takes shahada for the first time

In other cases a ghusl is obligatory. These cases are:

1. After having sexual intercourse or any discharge of semen or sexual fluids.
2. After a woman completes her menstrual cycle.
3. Death away from the battlefield

METHOD OF PERFORMING GHUSL

It is reported from Aisha bint Abi Bakr that,

"When Allah's Messenger bathed because of sexual intercourse, he first washed his hands; he then poured water with his right hand on his left hand and washed his private parts. He then performed wudu as is done for prayer. He then took some water and ran his fingers in the roots of his hair. And when he found that it had been properly moistened, he poured three handfuls on his head and then poured water over his body and subsequently washed his feet."

In addition, it is reported from ibn Abbas on the authority of Maimuna, his mother's sister, that she said:

"I placed water near the Messenger of Allah to take a bath because of sexual intercourse. He washed the palms of his hands twice or thrice and then put his hand in the basin and poured water over his private parts and washed them with his left hand. He then struck his hand against the earth and rubbed it with force and then performed ablution for the prayer and then poured three handfuls of water on his head and then washed his whole body after which he moved aside from that place and washed his feet, and then I brought a towel (so that he may wipe his body), but he returned it."

In another hadith, ibn Abbas stated that Maimuna said that the Messenger of Allah was given a towel (after ghusl), but he did not rub (his body) with it, but he did like this with water (i.e. he shook it off).

Similarly, Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen said, "Sufficient ghusl means that you rinse your mouth and nose, then you wash your entire body with water, even if that means plunging yourself into deep water in one go. Complete ghusl means washing your private parts and anywhere else that is contaminated with traces of impurity, then you do full wudoo’, then you pour water over your head three times, making sure that it reaches the roots of the hair. Then you wash the right side of the body then the left side."

Additional information about ghusl

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetusc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fus1_03.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetusc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/fus1_03.html[/url]

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetusc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/hadithsunnah/bukhari/005.sbt.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetusc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamentals/h...ri/005.sbt.html[/url]