Photo

[Fatwa]Can A Muslim Sister Read The Quran During Her Menses?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,757 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:46 PM

:sl:

Can a Muslim sister read from the Quran during her menstruation period, without directly touching it, using gloves to turn the pages?

#2 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:51 PM

This is the reply of a mosti from The Egyptian Dar Al-Fatwa:
During menstruation periods, women are not allowed to recite from the Quran, touching or not touching. Instead, they can listen to the Quran being recited by someone else, read tafsir books, and any Islamic books that lighten the heart. She can also do dhikr, tasbeeh, takbeer, tahleel, duaa etc.

#3 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:04 PM

The above was the fatwa that we have received from scholars of 'Dar Al Fatwa of Egypt'.
Members may discuss this issue by replying below. This post is a separator between the fatwa that we have officially received, and members' views and comments.

Readers are advised not to take the following posts as fatwa/ruling. They only represent the views of their posters.

#4 muzur

muzur

*happy*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts
  • Interests:Sufism, books, publishing, traveling, ice-skating, knowing new people, smiling

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:09 PM

Salam alaykum,

yeah women are not allowed to do so. Cuz in that case women dont have ablution, this way its a sort of unrespectful behaviour to touch or even read Quran. We muslims are aware of the value of what we have ALHAMDULILLAH and we are trying to be respectful as far as we can.

Edited by muzur, 01 September 2008 - 07:09 PM.

#5 Tamarbutah

Tamarbutah

'The Believer's are but a single Brotherhood' Quran

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:33 PM

I would just like to post another fatwa on this issue.

Taken from (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503547704"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503547704[/url]

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“Scholars and jurists of Islam have been divided in their opinion about the issue whether women who are menstruating are allowed to read the Qur’an or not.

The generally accepted view among them is that women are not allowed to read the Qur’an while menstruating. Among other things, they have based this ruling on a report attributed to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) which states, “Neither those who are sexually defiled nor those who are menstruating shall read the Qur’an.”

A group of scholars belonging to Maliki, Shafi`i and Hanbali schools, and others, however, have rejected the above position. As has been pointed out by Imam Ibn Taymiyah, there is nothing wrong for women to read the Qur’an either from their memory or from the mushaf itself, should they find it necessary to do so.

Even some of those scholars who are generally in favor of disallowing menstruating women from reading the Qur’an from the mushaf have considered it permissible for them to do so if they are teachers or students or they are afraid of forgetting what they have memorized.

Having cited the various views let me conclude by saying:
Should there be dire necessity for you to do so, you are definitely allowed to read the Qur’an, either from your heart or mind, or by holding the Qur’an itself. If there is no such necessity, then you can definitely listen to the Qur’an, for there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever in the sources to indicate that listening to the Qur’an in the state of menstruation is forbidden.

Therefore, you may listen to a recorded Qur’an without any inhibition; you may also read the du`a’s (supplications) from the Qur’an at all times without incurring any sin whatsoever.

May Allah inspire us to see truth as truth and follow it and inspire us to follow it. Ameen.”

Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: you are not allowed to post links yetmuslims.ca

Also another fatwa - Women Reading the Qur'an During Menses

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544678"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetislamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/servlet/Satelli...d=1119503544678[/url]

#6 dovey

dovey

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

i thought we were allowed to do wudu during menses?

#7 Ewany

Ewany

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

Eh? I'm confuse about the "read" do you mean by speaking or just by seeing? Can you just see the ayah, surah quran? On the internet? See the text of the quran on the internet? Because I sometimes do that, well not that I do that during my menses because I'm aware but confuse. Wait does that make sense? Or is there any evidence from Quran or hadith that this is forbidden? Seriously I've been this stuffs been going through my head for like forever.. Someone please explain to me.

Salam. Peace. v(^_^)

#8 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,757 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:28 PM

Dear sister,
The fatwa is clear, and it forbids reading from the mushaf. But it allows you to read tafsir books, which of course include verses from the Quran. Based on that, I guess there is nothing wrong if you read a verse online during your usual browsing. What is forbidden is in regards to handling or reading from the mushaf itself, not reading verses in tafsir books or online.

#9 Ewany

Ewany

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

Waalaikumussalam.
Yes well okay thank you brother for explaining. haha sorry my head is all mixed up sometimes. :sl:

#10 Aussie

Aussie

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Edited by Aussie, 03 January 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#11 Orthodox

Orthodox

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:All about Salah from Sh. Utaymeen:<br />http://understand-islam.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=23&amp;Itemid=49<br /><br />Fatwas from council of senior scholars:<br />http://www.alifta.com/Default.aspx<br /><br />Fatwas and articles:<br />http://www.islam-qa.com/es <br /><br />Highly recommended for anyone seeking guidence and sound, clear belief about Islam in all matters:<br /><br />http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/index.php

Posted 23 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

I doubt there is a Qur'aan without having Arabic text. Every translation I came across has Arabic on one page and the translation on the next...

Or is muhsaf purly Arabic.....Nah.....

#12 In War with me

In War with me

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Assalamu alaikum wrwb
I have one.

Its usually used to spread among non muslims .

#13 Orthodox

Orthodox

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:All about Salah from Sh. Utaymeen:<br />http://understand-islam.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=23&amp;Itemid=49<br /><br />Fatwas from council of senior scholars:<br />http://www.alifta.com/Default.aspx<br /><br />Fatwas and articles:<br />http://www.islam-qa.com/es <br /><br />Highly recommended for anyone seeking guidence and sound, clear belief about Islam in all matters:<br /><br />http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/index.php

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

O, JazzakAlalhu Khayr sis.

head is all mixed up sometimes.

There is no need to give excuse sister. Never allow fear, shyness, and awareness of the creation prevent you from knowing your obligation to your Lard.

#14 Umar^111

Umar^111

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

Question:

Noble Shaykh, it is a habit of mine that I recite certain chapters of the Qur’aan before I go to sleep, but there are days when I cannot do this because of my monthly period. May I write the chapters I wish to read on a piece of paper, so that I can read them during my period?
Answer:

Menstruating women and women experiencing post-natal bleeding may recite the Qur’aan, according to the most correct view from the scholars, since there is no authentic proof that points to the contrary. However, they may not touch the Mushaf. what they can do is hold it indirectly, by placing a cloth, for instance, between the hand and the Qur’aan, and the same ruling applies for a piece of paper upon which is written parts of the Qur’aan. And with Allaah is the facilitation to do what is right.

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz
Fatawa Islamiyah, vol.7, p.47, DARUSALAM

Question:

I read books of Tafseer of the Qur'an when I am not in a state of purity... such as during my monthly period, is there any objection to this, and am I committing any sin by doing so? Please deliver a verdict, and may Allah reward you.
Answer:

There is no objection to the menstruating woman or the one who has postnatal bleeding reading books of Tafseer nor reciting the Qur'an, without touching the Book according to the most correct of the two opinions held by the scholars.

As for the one who is Junub, he may not recite the Qur'an at all, until he makes Ghusl, but he may read the books of Tafseer, Hadith and the like, without reciting the Verses they contain, as it has been authentically reported from the Prophet salallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam that nothing prevented him from reciting the Qur'an except Janabah. [Abu Dawud no.229, Ibn Majah no.594 & Ahmad 1:84, 124].

And in another version narrated by Imam Ahmad, with a good chain of narrators, he said:

ÝóÃóãøóÇ ÇáúÌõäõÈõ ÝóáÇó æóáÇó ÂíóÉð

”As for the one who is Junub; no, not even an ayah." [Ahmad 1:110]

Shaykh `Abdul-`Azeez Bin Baz
Fatawa Islamiyah, vol. 1, p112-113, DARUSSALAM.

Question: Is it allowed for a menstruating woman to read a book of supplications on the Day of 'Arafah, given the fact that the book contains Qur.aanic verses?

Response: There is no harm in a menstruating or post-partum bleeding woman reading the books of supplications that are written for the rites of the pilgrimage. In fact, there is nothing wrong with her reciting the Qur.aan according to the correct opinion. There is no authentic, clear text prohibiting a menstruating or post-partum bleeding woman from reciting the Qur.aan. The thing that is narrated is concerned with the sexually defiled person only, as such should not recite the Qur.aan while he is sexually defiled. This is based on the hadeeth of 'Alee.

As for the menstruating or post-partum bleeding woman, there is the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Umar which states, "Neither the menstruating woman nor the sexually defiled person is to recite anything from the Qur.aan." However, this is weak. This is because it is from the narrations of Ismaa'eel ibn Iyyash on the authority of people from the Hijaaz and he is weak when he narrates from them. However, she may recite from her memory without touching the Qur.aan. As for the sexually defiled person, he/she may not even recite the Qur.aan from memory or touch the mushaf until he/she makes ghusl. The difference between the two is that the amount of time one is sexually defiled is very short as he may make ghusl as soon as he has done the act with his spouse. The amount of time is not long and he is in control of its length as he may make ghusl whenever he wishes. Even if he cannot find water, he can make tayammum and pray or recite the Qur.aan. However, the menstruating or post-partum bleeding woman does not have control over their lengths, such control is in the hand of Allaah. Menstruation and post-partum bleeding take days.

Therefore, it is allowed for them to recite the Qur.aan so that they do not forget what they have memorized and so they will not lose the merits of reciting it. It is also so they may learn the laws of the Sharee’ah from the Book of Allaah. Therefore it is even more so permissible for her to read the books of supplications that have verses and hadeeth intermixed with them. This is the correct view and is the correct opinion of the scholars- may Allaah have mercy on them- on that point.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz
Fataawa al-Mar.ah

#15 chelsea89

chelsea89

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

can a sister read a translation of the Quran during menses? like the English or Spanish translations.

#16 Mercyonmankind

Mercyonmankind

• PipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

I think it should be fine because you are reading the translation..which is not the original Quran revealed in Arabic..
As said by dot in post 8..

Edited by Mercyonmankind, 14 December 2011 - 11:47 PM.

#17 chelsea89

chelsea89

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

How about the transliterated Arabic? Such as instead of writing ـ صباح الخئر it's written sabahu alkhair.

#18 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

######style_emoticons/default/sl.gif[/img]
This is the reply of a mosti from The Egyptian Dar Al-Fatwa:
During menstruation periods, women are not allowed to recite from the Quran, touching or not touching. Instead, they can listen to the Quran being recited by someone else, read tafsir books, and any Islamic books that lighten the heart. She can also do dhikr, tasbeeh, takbeer, tahleel, duaa etc.

as i know, we may add the exception of the obligatory need to read from the "Mushaf", in case of students in religious schools or any other schools, or the one who is memorising the Quran with groups or on a scheduale basis with sheikh. they have the permission to touch the "Mushaf" through a barrier, gloves or others. they can have helper to open the "Mushaf" to them and change the pages or they can do it using the Miswak or a pincel.

#19 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

How about the transliterated Arabic? Such as instead of writing ـ صباح الخئر it's written sabahu alkhair.

alsalamo alykom, sister

as in post 2, it's allowed to read from the Arabic books of Tafseer which defenetly have the Arabic verse then the interpretation of it which many times comtains another verses in the same subject.

the pan is only about touching and reading from the "Mushaf", excluding the emergency cases.