The Creation of Adam (alayhi asalaam)
16th October 2004
by Amr Khaled
Translated by [img]daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)
At the very beginning, there was nothing in this universe except Allah (SWT). Allah, the Lord of all creatures and the only Creator, created everything and commanded that everything and all creatures in the universe submit to Him. He then put rules to everything in this world and universe.
Imagine if you existed at that moment when Allah created everything, and imagine if you found the whole universe prostrating to Allah. It's not strange to find everything prostrating to Allah; the strange thing is when YOU don't prostrate to Allah. How could you feel if you witness this? How far do you love Allah to know all this? How could you feel if you witness the skies suddenly replacing space?
Yet, where was Adam at that time when Allah created the whole universe? Why wasn't he created yet? Because there were still some abstract things that were to be created. Four things were yet to be created. "When Allah created the skies and the earth, the 'Kinship' got attached to Allah's throne and said, "O Allah! this is the rank of the one seeking your protection because of kinship rupture". Allah (SWT) then said, "Would you be satisfied if I connect those who connect you and rupture those who break you off?"
Hence, "Kinship" was born with the creation of the universe. On Judgment Day, Kinship talks, with a tongue, from under Allah's throne saying, "O Allah! I was ruptured and I was suppressed" and Allah repeats what He said at the beginning of the universe, "Would you be satisfied if I connect those who connect you and rupture those who break you off?"
Hence, dear all, you have to maintain your kinship relations and keep them strong. Allah's mercy was to create "kinship" before we were created.
When Allah (SWT) created the skies and the earth, He created a door so widely open, with a distance of 70 years. Allah created that door on the west side. The Prophet (PBUH) asked his companions, "Do you know what this door is?" they replied, "O Messenger of Allah! We do not know". The Prophet (PBUH) said, "It is the door of Repentance. When the sun rises from the west, this door will be closed". That door is so widely open, so you should all try to pass this door and get through it, take the chance and get in! You can repent today! Enough guilt, enough sins, and enough illicit money!
Allah then created another thing, bigger than the skies and earth: His Mercy. Allah created mercy between each and every sky and earth. He created one hundred mercies. Allah is so kind and generous with us. After Allah- be He exalted and glorified- commanded the universe to submit to Him, He wrote in a book above His throne, "My mercy prevails over My wrath". Be He Glorified and Exalted!
Can you realize how precious the human being is, and how dear he is to Allah (SWT)! Allah created everything and prepared everything before creating man. Adam was created from mud, and then Eve was created out of Adam. Allah ordered the angles to prostrate to Adam, but Satan, who was a Jinni, was the only one who refused to prostrate. In fact, this is the story of all of us. It is important to know the details of this story, and to analyze it, because it is the story of your existence. You have to know the components from which Adam was created, because each of them carries a specific feature that is reflected on you personality. We will anatomize Adam and ourselves.
The outer frame
Allah created us walking on two legs, with a raised vertex, or head, so as to lead the world with all of its creatures. Don't you ever bow because you fear your future or your livelihood! Don't you ever humiliate yourself, as Allah (SWT) created you as a noble creature. You hands are free to build and to innovate. O Muslims! Where are your creativity and innovation? O Life makers! Where is your production?
Anatomizing Adam in details
Adam was created out of dust, mud, clay, and sticky clay. He was created in seven phases:
1) Dust: Allah created Adam from a handful of dust with all colors; hence, people are of different colors in this world. Besides, people are of different characteristics: some are easy going, like fertile land; some are hard and tough like solid ground. Thus, human psychology comes in harmony with geology. Man's characteristics are like those of the earth. If you analyze the human skin, and the components of earth, you'll find them the same. The name 'Adam' is derived from the Arabic word that means the surface of earth. You have to know that you are so weak like the earth; therefore, you have to submit to Allah. Can you make the dust or clay talk? Never, you cannot do that! According to the Hadith Qudsi (Holy Hadith), Allah raises those who submit to Him. This is the only means by which you can have a quick entrance to Allah. The Prophet (PBUH) refused to be a haughty person, and demanded to be a slave to Allah. Submitting to Allah is actually achieved from the inside, and not by appearance. You are just a handful of dust, so how can you say "No" to Allah?
2) The dust was mixed with water, and thus, became clay. Allah (SWT) says, "(Remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Truly I am going to create man from clay"". Yet, why did Allah create Adam from these two elements? What if man was created from lead and oil? Or rubber so as not to be broken? You have to recognize that each part in Adam carries a message for you.
Dust and water are the symbols of purity and transparency. We use water in ablution, and we use dust instead, if there is no water. It's as if Allah (SWT) says that He created man from the purest two elements on earth; therefore don't defile them by committing sins. Keep yourself pure, and if ever you defile yourself, repent as soon as you can. Do you see how beautiful is Islam's view to us? So a lewd person defiles his original purity, and the same applies to anyone who watches immoral scenes etc. Allah (SWT) says, "And it is He Who has created man from water, and has appointed for him kindred by blood, and kindred by marriage. And your Lord is Ever All-Powerful to do what He wills." This is because the kindred relations are characterized by transparency, which is the same characteristic of water. Thus, you have to be as transparent and easygoing.
As for clay, it is the symbol of growth. This is why Satan acted stupidly, as he considered that he is better than Adam, just because he was created from fire. On the one hand, fire symbolizes imprudence, evil and fury. On the other hand, clay is full of grace and good, so basically clay is full of benefits. Can you see that you are full of grace and good, like Adam? So blessed is Allah, the Best of creators.
Have you ever thought that you were created in this way?! You are a weak creature, yet full of good and purity. Look at yourself in the mirror, and contemplate.
3) In the third phase, the clay was left in the air till it became sticky clay. From this characteristic, you can realize that man is originally a creature with a strong will and firmness. Hence, don't defile yourself.
4) In the fourth phase, the sticky clay became dried clay (argil). Allah, be He Exalted and Glorified- formed man with His hands. Allah ordered Satan and the angels to prostrate to Adam, but Satan refused: "(Allah) said: "O Iblis (Satan)! What prevents you from prostrating yourself to one whom I have created with Both My Hands" You have to prostrate to Allah with all humbleness.
5) In the fifth phase, the dried clay turned into altered clay. It was left for some time, and so its smell and color altered. This represents the instincts and desires that came upon man's purity.
6) Sounding clay (like the clay of pottery) represents the sixth phase in human creation. A cavity was formed in the clay body, and so the human body became hollow. This is how you are now. Could you believe that pottery clay can think and innovate?
One of the companion's followers said, "I kept knocking on Allah's doors, but I found all of them crowded with people. Hence, I knocked the door of humility, and I found it empty, therefore I call you all to enter from this door".
7) The seventh phase turned the human body into a live one. After the whole body was formed, Allah (AWT) breathed into it, which caused the soul to enter into the human body. Blood ran in its veins, the heart started beating, and all the body functions started working.
If it was not for Allah's breath, you would have been just an object like any other thing around you. This breath confused doctors and scientists for long time.
Allah (SWT) glorified man three times, as He says, "So, when I have fashioned him completely and breathed into him (Adam) the soul which I created for him, then fall (you) down prostrating yourselves unto him." Allah's breath is the origin of everything beautiful and good in you. When the soul entered Adam's body, he sneezed, so the angels told him "Say 'Thank God' (Alhamdulilah)". When he said this, Allah (SWT) said (Bless You). Thus, Allah's blessings and mercy are around you all the time, and at the same time, you are ordered to thank Allah. Don't defile your purity with sins. Allah's breath elevated you over everything, even the angels.
According to a Hadith Qudsi (Holy Hadith), everyday the mountains ask Allah to allow them to fall on Man; the seas ask Allah to allow them to absorb Man, and the earth asks Allah to allow it to sink down Man, because Man is never thankful to Allah, although he is enjoying all of Allah's graces. Yet, Allah replies "Leave them, if you created them, you would have mercy on them".
In another Hadith, Allah (SWT) speaks to Dawud and says, "If those who are driven away from how much I long for them to come back to me, and how eagerly I want them to repent, they would have longed for me fervently".
[img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules.php?name=Lectures&action=display_lecture&lecture_id=38"]Source[/url]
Edited by Zeinab, 16 March 2007 - 01:50 PM.