Photo

The Story Of Prophet Nuh (noah ) (alayhi Asalaam)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zeinab

Zeinab

Muhammad Rasula’Allah!

• IF Guardian
  • 8,540 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

These are excerpts taken from a TV program on Iraq during Ramadan 2004

Noah's Mission on the Earth

23rd October 2004

by Amr Khaled

Translated by [img]daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)

Prophet Nuh

Today we will start the story of Prophet Nuh (Noah). According to an authentic Hadith of Prophet Muhammad, related by Imam Muslim, ten centuries passed between Adam and Nuh. The Prophet's companions asked him if Adam had been a Prophet, and Muhammad (PBUH) answered that he was a Prophet to whom Allah (SWT) talked, and that ten centuries separated, between him and Nuh's mission. Yet, does the word "century" here mean 100 years or does it mean generation? If it means "100 years", then there passed one thousand years between Adam and Nuh. But, if it means "generation", then this means that there passed more than a thousand years. In fact, it means that there passed more than 8000 years between Adam and Nuh's mission, as the average age of people in that old history was 800 years.

You might think, "Haven't you said that we should not focus on things that make no difference with us?" I know, but this information is of high importance. Do you know why? Because this means that during those thousands of years between Adam and Nuh's mission, Islam was spreading throughout the earth, and worshipping Allah (SWT) was dominating. There was nothing but Islam and worshipping Allah during all these years. Does this mean that whenever man gets elevated in technology and science, he gets away from Allah and denies His (SWT) divinity? Through all those years between Adam and Nuh, man was performing the task and mission he was created for, i.e. reforming the earth and practicing the succession in earth.

What happened to the earth? You know, we are all responsible for what happened and what is happening. Muslims have forgotten their mission. Despite this, if the whole earth gets filled of pride before Allah, we, Muslims, can never be proud, because we know the meaning of humiliation, and we have been stressing it since the beginning of Ramadan.

Hence, throughout those long years there were no Prophets, because life was full of good. Bani israel, the tribe, were proud of having many Prophets sent to them, but actually, having a lot of Prophets in a nation indicates that there have been many problems. This is why the Muslim nation has only one Prophet till the Day of Resurrection, i.e. Prophet Muhammad, the last of Prophets. But there are already a lot of problems now! Well, the Muslim nation were favored by Allah (SWT), as the whole nation is responsible for shouldering the responsibility left by Prophet Muhammad till the Day of Resurrection. Hence, the Muslim nation is highly elevated to the rank of the Prophets. Being responsible for our religion is not restricted only to scholars and religious people. This is the real role to be played by the Muslim nation. This is the purpose Allah has set for us. This is why Muhammad (PBUH) was the last of Prophets.

The Muslims' Mission

O Muslims! You are delinquent, although it is really hard to stand before Allah and be asked to give an account for one's deeds. Reforming the earth and preaching for Allah is our responsibility. Even if you have lack of knowledge, by love and affiliation you can perform your mission. Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) knew very little about Islam when he stood defending Islam and Prophet Muhammad. Do you believe that your religious knowledge is much more than what he had then?! Abu Bakr acted through his sense of responsibility and enthusiasm and concern toward Islam. Our responsibility is really a big honor before it being an assignment.

If Muslims do not play their assigned role, everything would be a mess. There are no Prophets any more we are responsible and we have to work on our own. You have to help people and guide them toward the right path:

"You [true believers in Islamic Monotheism, and real followers of Prophet Muhammad and his Sunnah] are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind; you enjoin Al-Ma'a»f (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam has ordained) and forbid Al-Munkar (polytheism, disbelief and all that Islam has forbidden), and you believe in Allah" [Qur'an 3:110].

The best nation indicates that the whole nation is assigned to reform, not only scientists and scholars; "you enjoin Al-Ma'a»f and forbid Al-Munkar" means reforming earth and people; reforming was mentioned before having faith in Allah, because reformation increases faith. If you ever think that your faith is complete, this means you are being proud, which signifies that you are lost.

Satan succeeded in making us forget our mission, hence, we got lost, and so was the earth. This is the status of morality nowadays.

Each and every person is responsible and should play his/her assigned role: women in their homes and work, young children at schools, young men among their peers, even the Portman is responsible.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, that we, Muslims, must report to others what the Prophet (PBUH) said. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) used to end his speeches to Muslims saying, "Let the present tell the absent". He (PBUH) prays to Allah to enlighten your face if you hear his words and report them to others. Try to preach to people for Allah by all means and all of your efforts, yet, with wisdom and peace. Don't ever feel shy! Will you still be shy on the Day of Judgment, when Allah asks you why didn't you play your assigned role using your potentials?

"Say (O Muhammad): "This is my way; I invite unto Allah (i.e. to the Oneness of Allah - Islamic Monotheism) with sure knowledge". [Qur'an 12:108].

Ibn Alkayem says that preaching for Allah and reforming the earth is on the highest rank, because it is the rank of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

The Devil's Plan

Back to Prophet Nuh's story¦the earth kept in good shape and worship for 10 centuries, following the path of Allah, until something happened which was the reason of Nuh's mission. Usually, when evil started to spread, Prophets were not sent instantly. This was to give reformers a chance to appear and perform their mission, and so, would take great rewards for reforming the earth and people's life. But, when the earth had reached the peak of evil and everything got lost, Allah sent a messenger or a Prophet.

What happened to the earth after the 10 centuries of reforming and worshipping? Satan played his typical role. We have to realize that, though Satan is an unbeliever, he is serious in performing his mission in making people lose the right way. We have to be more serious in worshipping Allah. We have to help people and guide them; send messages (SMS), send mails, do everything you can because our mission is a worldwide one. Do everything you can and Allah will let the hearts be open to this mission.

Whenever there are reformers who work hard to practice their assigned task, Satan keeps away, watching the situation and waiting to find an entrance for himself to mess with such reformers and people. Remember what Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, that Allah sends every 100 years a reformer to the Muslim nation. Can you see how Allah (SWT) favors our nation. Long before Nuh, there were five reformers; they were normal people, not Prophets. They kept working hard, but Satan could not affect them or mess with their work. When those five reformers died, no other reformers appeared, hence, it was Satan's opportunity to whisper evil to people. He whispered to people, "The reformers died, and you have to visit their graves regularly". He found an entrance to affect them through the religious aspect. Afterwards, he told them he was afraid that the following generation would forget about those late five reformers, and so they must build statues to embody those reformers. When the generation, who built the statues all died, Satan whispered to the successive generation that their ancestors built those statues so that they would get closer to Allah by praying to those statues. Hence, polytheism started to prevail.

Note that, sometimes you keep doing something wrong for a long time, but without moving to any further step. Satan keeps waiting for the suitable moment, as he knows that it is easy for you to step forward to a worse phase. For example, usually drug addicts start by smoking cigarettes. Most of them kept smoking only for several years, then, at some point they moved to addiction. Also Satan whispers to women, pushing them to smoke the water-pipe (shisha), first at home, then in the streets, implying that is a fashionable habit. Satan knows well that it is the beginning of losing woman's shyness and modesty, which will in turn lead to further corruption.

As for pious people, Satan finds a way to them through the path of religion. Satan doesn't want any reformers or reform actions, so he tries to keep people away from it. He keeps whispering to a pious man, "Dedicate yourself to worshipping Allah. Keep away from such hassles of reforming", and so, such a man keeps away from everything else but worshipping. Satan did the same with the worshipper of Bani israel. Satan whispered evil to him, until he got himself isolated from people, dedicated himself to worshipping Allah, and kept away from reforming. After that Satan kept away from him for 10 years, so as not to distract him from worshipping, and to guarantee that he wouldn't concentrate on anything else.

One day, a group of men were traveling and they wanted to let their only sister live close to the worshipper. At first he refused, but eventually he agreed. Satan came back to him, and started whispering evil, until the worshipper committed adultery with the men's sister. The woman got pregnant and had a baby, but he committed another crime, as he killed her and the baby, and buried them. See how many crimes he committed? When her brothers returned and asked about her, he told them she was dead, but they opened the grave and found her body beside the baby's. They decided to avenge and kill the worshipper. At this moment, Satan appeared to the worshipper and told him that he (Satan) caused all this to happen to him, and that he whispered to him to quit reforming, and to commit all those sins. Satan told him that if he (the worshipper) prostrates before him, Satan would save his life. Surprisingly the worshipper did prostrate to Satan, but at the same moment his soul was taken and he fell dead. Do you see the result of leaving the role of reformation?

We are trying to get the Muslims back to life through reforming the earth and Muslims' life.

Prophet Nuh's Mission

As for Prophet Nuh, he was sent when people worshiped the reformers. Nuh kept inviting his people to believe in the oneness of Allah for 950 years (a thousand years minus fifty years). His life is divided into three stages: the first stage from his birth until his mission; the second stage is the duration of his mission; the third stage is after the flood until his death. Nuh lived more than all the other Prophets, even more than Adam.

But in the Spider chapter in the Holy Qur'an, Allah (SWT) says, "And indeed We sent Nuh (Noah) to his people, and he stayed among them a thousand years less fifty years" [Qur'an 29:14]. In Arabic, Allah says "Alf sana ela Khamseen Aaman", i.e. Allah uses two another synonyms to the word "year". What can this indicate? The old Arabs used the first word "sana" to indicate hard years, while they used "aam" to indicate happy and good years. Hence, Prophet Nuh spent 950 hard years in inviting his people, and only 50 good years with them. Despite the long duration Nuh spent in inviting people to worship Allah, only a few people believed him and responded. According to most of the books, only 80 people believed in Allah with him, which means that every 15 years only one person believed. How patient he was!

Nuh's Patience

Nuh's story is the story of patience. We have to be patient and reform our lives... Nuh didn't give up. He knew his mission well, and so he kept inviting people and reforming. He performed his mission with patience, love, and tenderness.

Allah (SWT) loves patience, and appreciates His patient slaves. In order to make life, we have to be patient when inviting people to play their assigned role in life, "Only those who are patient shall receive their reward in full, without reckoning".

Nuh's story was mentioned in several chapters in the Qur'an, most of them were revealed in Makkah. His people tortured him; they used to hit him till he fell unconscious, then they would wrap him in a carpet and throw him, thinking that he would die. The following day he would come to them and invite them again. See how patient he was? They said he was mad, numskull, liar, and deceitful. They used to mock at him, and threatened to kill him. This is not a fairy tale! Do you know that such hurt and harming is nothing when compared to your mission and role? Don't just stand and watch… sacrifice with all that you have and can. Don't say, "My dignity allows me not to", sacrifice your time, money and everything. Islam was presented to us on a golden plate. The earliest companions are the ones who really suffered from extreme torture. Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) was subject to harm and was hit by shoes till he fell unconscious, but when he became conscious again he was so keen to ask about Prophet Muhammad.

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself was subjected to a lot of harm from the Arabs. They used to throw dust on him, and called him "Muzamam" (defamed) instead of Muhammad. When hearing this, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said, "Leave them. They are insulting "Muzamam" and I am Muhammad".

Wouldn't you sacrifice anything for the sake of your son? If our passion toward Islam is less than that toward our families, then it's all in vain, nothing can be achieved ever!

Let's learn even from the non-Muslims. Nelson Mandella was jailed for 26 years because he believed in the case of Blacks' rights. What could be said then about the case of reforming earth and life?

Let's read the chapter of Nuh in the Holy Quraan tonight and contemplate the meanings of patience, sacrifice, and perseverance. Let's say, "I will do like Prophet Nuh did."

In the Nuh chapter, Allah (SWT) says, "Verily, We sent Nuh(Noah) to his people (saying): "Warn your people before there comes to them a painful torment." He said: "O my people! Verily, I am a plain warner to you". This chapter is very beautiful; it embodies the whole scene, as if Nuh is standing before Allah (SWT), giving Him a report of his mission and tasks. Do you know that Prophet Nuh was called "Nuh" because it is derived from the Arabic verb "weep", as he used to weep because of his fear from Allah? What will you say when you stand before Allah to give your report? Will you find words to speak about your role and mission?

"He said: "O my Lord! Verily, I have called to my people night and day (i.e. secretly and openly to accept the doctrine of Islamic Monotheism)". In this verse, Nuh said "night" before "day", to show that he kept inviting them all the time, and in the night before daylight, thus, showing that he exerted all his efforts. Imagine yourself entering to speak and report your tasks after Prophet Nuh! What will you say?

"But all my calling added nothing but to (their) flight (from the truth)." This shows that Prophet Nuh was very tender with them, and called them to Islam in a merciful way, not like some people who make others repel.

"And verily, every time I called unto them that You might forgive them, they thrust their fingers into their ears, covered themselves up with their garments, and persisted (in their refusal), and magnified themselves in pride." Although they thrust their fingers into their ears so as not to hear his voice, he kept inviting them and calling them to believe in Allah using signs, which lead them to cover themselves with their garments in order not to see him.

"Then verily, I called to them openly (aloud). "Then verily, I proclaimed to them in public, and I have appealed to them in private." Prophet Nuh exerted all his efforts with his people, because he feared Allah.

Tomorrow we will discuss what Prophet Nuh told his people.

"Nuh (Noah) said: "My Lord! They have disobeyed me, and followed one whose wealth and children give him no increase but loss. "And they have plotted a mighty plot. And they have said: 'You shall not leave your gods: nor shall you leave Wadd, nor SuwÃ, nor Yaghth, nor Ya'q nor Nasr' (these are the names of their idols)."

At the end of the chapter, Prophet Nuh said, "My Lord! Forgive me, and my parents, and him who enters my home as a believer, and all the believing men and women. And to the Zan (polytheists, wrong-doers, and disbelievers) grant You no increase but destruction!" He started by praying for himself, and then he gradually widened the circle. He was so organized, even in his prayers.

Imagine yourself standing before Allah, when He asks you why didn't you reform the earth after Muhammad, the last of all Prophets? You were responsible to do whatever you can, according to your potentials and capabilities.

Dear All, come on, you have to start working, so that after Ramadan it is easy for us to keep on the right track: "You are the best of peoples ever raised up for mankind" and "And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth."

Task

Let's set the project of today. Let every one of us awakens two people every day for the dawn prayer, and each one of the two will awaken other two people, and so on. If this is done in this way, we will all perform the dawn prayer. Let's benefit from Ramadan, while the devils are chained. O Reformers! Start working.

Supplicate to Allah to make us all reformers on earth, and that He (SWT) employs us and does not replace us by other people to do this mission. We are able and we can do it!

[img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules.php?name=Lectures&action=display_lecture&lecture_id=55"]Source[/url]

Edited by Zeinab, 16 March 2007 - 01:24 PM.

#2 Zeinab

Zeinab

Muhammad Rasula’Allah!

• IF Guardian
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:25 AM

Nuh's Story Part II

24th October 2004

Nuh's Story

Now let's go back to Nuh's story and do a brief review of what we discussed yesterday. He spent 950 years calling people to Allah. His main concern was only to help people.

We are not created just to get married and have children and then die. We are created to help people and to awaken them. We shall make mistakes because we are humans, but still our main concern is to help people and awaken them. For 950 years, people called Nuh a liar, misguided and mentally disturbed. They threatened to kill him, and they harmed him, in addition they made fun of him for years. So if you become veiled and people made fun of you, don't be sad, and if you become more religious and your friends tell you that you have become old fashioned, don't be sad. For 950 years, Nuh had been exposed to more than that and yet he was strong and still called people to Allah. Imagine, years passed and people were still calling Nuh crazy and a liar. After all the effort that Nuh had exerted in calling people night and day for 950 years, only a few became believers. It was said that a few meant eighty people which means that every 15 years, only one became a believer. Can you imagine all this patience?

Did you notice something? There were no miracles associated with Nuh. You might say that the flood was a miracle. But no, this happened at the very end when people became totally disobedient and they were going to be punished. This is because Nuh was set as an example, for all reformers so they wouldn't make the excuse that Nuh made miracles and they are unable to. This will encourage reformers to give a hand to people and to be patient, because after all these years, Nuh didn't have any miracles. Thus he is set as an example for us to follow. We are responsible for earth. We are created on Earth to be successors.

I know that a lot of the women who are listening are saying to themselves that they are helpless and cannot do anything. However, this is not true. You can call people to Allah. Can you imagine the reward of giving a hand to a person until she/he becomes guided to Allah's path? How about saying that you will give a present to Islam in Ramadan, which is helping a friend to become religious? You will pray for her/his guidance and talk about Islam and give her/him Islamic tapes. Imagine yourself on the Day of Judgment following the path of Nuh (may Allah be pleased with him) and the Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) which is calling people to Allah. If you were able to guide a person, what do you think your reward is?

Calling to Allah (Da'wah)

Your guidance for one person is much better than all the things of which the sunrise shines on.

This means that if you guide one person, you would be rewarded by getting the most beautiful thing on which sun rises on; something better than treasures, cars, gold, etc. This has nothing to do with if you are a scholar or not. However, it has to do with your feelings and with your sincere desire to guide people to Allah's path, or not.

Do you know that if you guide someone to Allah's path, you would have the rewards of all the good deeds he would perform until the Day of Judgment? Moreover, if this person guides someone else, they would have the reward of all the good deeds of this other person as well, and so on. This means that you and the person whom you guided would die, and still have rewards added to your balance until the Day of Judgment. In addition, your faith will increase. This is because in your mind, you are convinced that Islam is beautiful, but you are not affiliated to Islam. It doesn't run in your blood. So how does one switch from being convinced to being affiliated?

Give a hand to another person. When you do so, you will try to persuade him with the idea and while doing so, the idea will change from persuasion to affiliation. This is what the psychologists say. This is why the following verse says:

"Ye are the best of Peoples, evolved for mankind, enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong, and believing in Allah"

This means when you try to guide people, your believing in Allah will increase.

A pious believer once said "whenever I call someone to Allah and this person responds, I feel full and don't want to eat or drink anymore"

Imagine yourself on the Day of Judgment standing behind Nuh who talks about all the people he guided, and then your turn comes to answer Allah's question about what you have done in your life. Would you rather stand there feeling embarrassed and have nothing to say, or would you rather say that in Ramadan 2004, 'I guided a friend of mine until she became religious'?

Ways to Call to Allah

A lot of people would say that they don't know how to call to Allah. So Allah shows us, by giving us a practical training, through the verses of Nuh Chapter:

"Saying, `Ask forgiveness from your Lord; for He is Oft-Forgiving;" Talk to people about God's mercy and show them how compassionate He is. Tell them that all their sins could be forgiven in one night. Don't intimidate them. If you don't know how to talk, give them a tape or a book that talks about God's mercy.

"`He will send rain to you in abundance; Give you increase in wealth and sons; and bestow on you gardens and bestow on you rivers (of flowing water)." Show them the worldly rewards and not the rewards of the afterlife only.

"See ye not how Allah has created the seven heavens one above another. And made the moon a light in their midst, and made the sun as a (Glorious) Lamp?" Contemplate and show them Allah's power.

"And Allah has produced you from the earth, growing (gradually), And in the End He will return you into the (earth), and raise you forth (again at the Resurrection)?" Remind them that they are returning to Allah on the Day of Judgment.

You might still say that you are not capable of doing all this. But I would say that go ahead and give it a try, you might fail on your first trial but keep trying until you succeed. I made a mess on my first trial. The guy that I tried to guide became so far from being religious. But I learnt from this experience. We have a very good chance that we should benefit from; that is Satan is chained in Ramadan so people can easily be guided.

Nuh's Calling to Allah

Back to Nuh's story, we said that after 950 years, only a few became believers. This teaches us an important lesson; that is to follow Allah's orders, regardless of the consequences. Prophet Mohamed kept calling to Allah for 13 years, and only 70 people became believers. You should do your best, and then not be overwhelmingly concerned if they become believers or not. What counts is that you did your best and then Allah decides what happens next.

After 950 years had passed, Nuh invoked to God against his own people. Is it acceptable that a prophet invoke to God against anyone? Nuh did this only after Allah informed him that there would be no more believers. So he said

"O my Lord! Leave not of the Unbelievers, a single one on earth!" and then he said

"For, if Thou dost leave (any of) them, they will but mislead Thy devotees, and they will breed none but wicked ungrateful ones" This shows that he invoked to God against his people, only because he was afraid that they would have a bad influence on those who became believers, and mislead them, not because of all they had done to him throughout the 950 years.

A Companion's Example

A reformer loves the good for people. He never wishes anything bad to happen to people. Prophet Mohamed asked Tofayel bin Amr to go to his own people and call them to Allah. Tofayel kept calling his people to Allah for three years. Only one person became a believer. He went back to Prophet Mohamed and told him that he called his people for three years and only one became believer. So Prophet Mohamed held up his hands to the sky. Tofayel thought that he would invoke to Allah against his people, but instead Prophet Mohamed prayed to Allah that He would guide Tofayel's people. Then Prophet Mohamed told Tofayel to go back to his people and not to come back until they became believers. So Tofayel returned to his people and kept working hard for ten years, until he made all his people become believers.

You should work hard. You are created to work for God. And when you do that, you will lead a better life with more blessings.

Nuh's Ark

It was revealed to Nuh! "None of thy People will believe except those who have believed already!

Here, Allah is telling Nuh that there will be no more believers, so his people will be punished. So Allah (SWT) says

"And construct an Ark"

Do you know what does this means? They lived in a desert, so there were no trees. So to construct an Ark, they would have to start to plant trees to get wood. They must learn to grow seeds of solid woodened trees. They should grow an enormous amount of trees. They lived in a desert at the very beginning of history, which means there were no Arks before, so this was considered an invention, and the proof to this is Allah's verse in which He says

"But We bore him on an (Ark) made of broad planks and caulked with palm-fibre:" So Allah here explains to Nuh what an Ark is. He tells him that it's made of wooden planks tied together.

Why do you think Allah made them go through all that, while Allah could have easily punished the disbelievers? This is to test the stamina and the convention of the believers, because they will be responsible for earth. The scholars said that it took them about 100 years to construct the Ark. So these 100 years were considered a learning phase for the believers.

This means that Allah is testing the girl who is veiled and wants to obey God and yet her parents keep pressuring her. And that Allah is testing the lady who is so obedient to Allah and yet her husband is so cruel to her.

Imagine yourself with Nuh, you are in a desert constructing an Ark and growing trees for 100 years because Nuh says that there will be a flood that will drown everyone, although you are in a desert and there is no water. But you are doing this; just for the sake that Nuh said that Allah told him so. This was a real test for the believers.

There is another crucial point. How was Nuh saved? He was saved by the flood. No, not only that. It's not enough to pray to God to save you. You should work hard for it. Nuh was saved by an invention, as the Ark was a new invention at that time. This means that Nuh was a scholar, a prophet and an inventor. Don't ever think that you should be religious without succeeding in life. Nuh was a religious man who was successful in life. He knew how to build an Ark, and how to grow trees. He was not like the Muslims nowadays who don't know how to build a car. Nuh was a prophet who insisted on calling to Allah and at the same time, he was an inventor.

So if you are a lazy student, then you don't understand what Islam is, and if the rate of illiteracy in Mohamed's nation is about 60% then this means we don't understand Islam.

Nuh was considered the most knowledgeable person among his people. He knew that wood floats, while at his time no one knew any of these scientific theories. So pay attention to this, God taught Adam the name of things which is considered a science, Nuh was saved by an invention and Mohamed started his verses by "read".

Now do you understand why we should be life makers and why we should succeed in life? All these meanings lie in the verse

"And construct an Ark"

Try to imagine the different means of torture to which they were exposed to in those 100 years. But Allah (SWT) didn't leave them alone, He said

"And construct an Ark under Our eyes and Our inspiration," He is telling them not to be afraid, He is with them. They are not alone. Try to imitate Nuh's followers, they worked for 100 years without seeing any outcome, and yet they had a lot of faith in Allah. I am telling you to pray to Allah in humility, so you would be worthy of Allah's protection and mercy.

The following verse says

"and do not speak to Me in respect of those who are unjust; surely they shall be drowned."

This is because after Allah informed Nuh that his people will be destroyed, Nuh kept asking God to forgive them. They tortured him for 950 years, and yet he asked for their forgiveness. See, how much he loved the good for others. Similarly in Uhud battle, the disbelievers dug a hole for Prophet Mohamed to fall into. So Prophet Mohamed fell into it and his face got hit by a rock. A quarter of his front teeth fell and his mouth became filled with blood. And then when the Prophet tried to stand up, Abu kamiaa hit him brutally by a sword on his helmet, making his whole face bleed. Prophet Mohamed held up his hands to the sky, so everyone thought that he would invoke to God against the disbelievers, but instead, Prophet Mohamed asked God to guide his people. Try to imagine the Prophet; his face is filled with blood, and yet he is praying for their guidance. See how much he loved the good for people; see how much he wanted to reform the earth.

Conclusion

We will get a present for Ramadan. We will help a person to become religious. The lesson we learned, that we should be patient. You should love the good for people. You should work hard. You should trust God. You should have more faith.

Where is your confidence in Allah? Is it because Muslims are in a bad state, you lose your confidence in Allah and in yourself? Didn't you hear God when He told Nuh to build the ark and He shall save him? Allah tells us the same thing

"We will, without doubt, help Our Messengers and those who believe, (both) in this world's life and on the Day when the Witnesses will stand forth," He says that we are the winners. What more do you want to ask for? Why the loss of confidence? Have faith in Allah. Work, reform and invent. Worship and pray to Allah in humility. Give a hand to your friends and live for Islam.

What are you going to say to Nuh's followers when you meet them? I really wish to see them on the Day of Judgment. I wonder how they look like, those people who stood still for 100 years and constructed an ark in the desert and believed that they would be saved by it. They believed strongly in Allah.

What's the matter with you? Believe in Allah.

"Allah has promised to those of you who believe and do good that He will most certainly make them rulers in the earth as He made rulers those before them" What more can you ask for? Allah promised us good, so build Nuh's ark, and reform the earth. Be an inventor.

[img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules.php?name=Lectures&action=display_lecture&lecture_id=56"]Source[/url]

#3 Zeinab

Zeinab

Muhammad Rasula’Allah!

• IF Guardian
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:28 AM

Noah's Story Part III

Monday 25th of October 2004

Introduction

Today we will carry on with the story of Noah. Noah spent 950 years on earth, preaching and spreading the word of Allah. Let's ask ourselves why we were created? To develop and work on the earth; all the Prophets' stories give this same meaning. Our religion is not only about the five basic prayers, fasting, and charitable work; it is also combined with the development of the earth. By development, we mean in education, technology, medicine, architecture, and farming etc. But one cannot develop all of these without developing the base first, which is our prayers, fasting and good deeds.

Noah's story Part III

Noah's 950 years of preaching Allah's word teaches us patience, why? Because, in those 950 years, only 80 people believed (as discussed in the previous lecture)! Almighty Allah gives an account of Noah's trials in chapter Noah: "He said: O' my Lord! Verily I have called my people night and day (i.e. in secret and openly to accept the doctrine of Islamic Monotheism). But all my calling added nothing but to (their) flight (from the truth). And verily! Every time I called unto them that you might forgive them, they thrust their fingers into their ears, covered themselves up with their garments, and persisted (in their refusal), and magnified themselves in pride."

Noah noticed that the number of believers was not increasing, while that of the disbelievers was increasing. Noah grieved but he did not lose hope. He continued to call upon his people and argue with them. His people however continued in their pride, disbelieve and rudeness. Noah was sad for his people but he never reached the point of despair. He continued to have hope for 950 years, then came a day when Allah revealed to Noah that no one, except those who already believed, would believe in his message.

Allah revealed that he should not grieve for them. At the same time, Noah prayed that the disbelievers be destroyed. He said: "My Lord! Leave not one of the disbelievers on earth." The matter was over and Allah passed His judgment on the disbelievers in the form of the flood. Allah ordered Noah to build an ark with Allah's knowledge and instruction, and with the help of the angels. Bear in mind that at that time they had no arks, ships or any previous knowledge of any construction methods, so the whole experience, to Noah's people, was a massive learning curve. Noah started to plant trees in order to build the ark. He waited a few years and then he cut the trees and used them as timber. This again shows his level of patience. While Noah and the believers were building the ark, the disbelievers used to pass by and mock at them, asking "where will this ship sail?" "Where is the water on which it will sail" they laughed and called him crazy.

Allah Said: "If you mock at us, so do we mock at you likewise for your mocking. And you will know on whom will come, a torment that will cover him with disgrace and on whom will fall a lasting torment." [Chapter 11:38-39]

The ship was built and Noah sat waiting for Allah's command. Allah informed him that when the hearth in his house overflowed, this would be the sign of the start of the flood and Noah should act.

The horrible day arrived, Noah hurried to open the ark and call in the believers. Angel Gabriel (PBUH) descended to earth and carried into the ark a pair of each type of animal and bird, a male and a female. Noah had made cages for the beasts when he built the ark, to ensure their survival on earth; it's as if Allah were telling us that the ark was the safe, holding the equipment for the redevelopment of life.

The believers were few in number. Allah said "(So it was) till then there came Our command and the oven gushed forth (water like fountains from the earth). We said: 'Embark therein, of each kind two (male and female), and your family, except him against whom the word has already gone forth, and those who believe.' And none believed with him except a few." [Chapter 11:40] Noah's wife and one of his sons did not believe in him, so they did not board the ark, along with all the disbelievers. There was not a crack in the earth which water did not rise from. Rain poured from the sky in large quantities never been seen before on earth. The water rose hour after hour, the seas lost their calm and started to invade the land. The earth's interior was moving in an unusual way, the bottom of the oceans rose in sudden bursts and the waves flooded the earth. Allah said in the Moon Chapter: "So we opened the gates of heavens with water pouring forth. And we caused the earth to gush forth with springs. So the waters (of the heavens and the earths) met for a while. And we carried him on a (ship) made of planks and nails." [Chapter 54:11-40]

The water rose, to a higher level, then above the people and even higher then the peak of the mountains, until the whole earth drowned. Allah drowned the disbelievers, it did not matter how important they were or what their relationship with the Prophet was (i.e.: his son, wife etc.)

The flood continued until every moving, breathing creature on earth had died, except those who were in the ark. Then a divine order was given to the sky to stop the rainfall, and to the earth to settle and absorb the water, and to the ark to harbour at Judi, the name of an ancient place said to be a mountain in Iraq.

With that order came peace on earth. The water retreated, and the earth's mainland shone once again under the rays of the sun. The flood cleansed the earth. Allah said: "And it was said: O earth swallow up your water, and O! sky With hold (your rain)".

After that, Noah remembered his son who drowned, until that moment Noah did not know his son was a disbeliever. He thought that he was just a stubborn believer who preferred to save himself in a mountain. The waves ended their conversation before it was over. So Noah never knew the extent of his son's faith. Fatherly feelings rose in Noah's heart. "And Noah called upon his lord and said, 'O my Lord! Verily, my son is of my family! And certainly, Your Promise is true, and You are the most just of the judges." [Chapter 11:44] This verse teaches us a very important lesson; Allah wanted to tell Noah that his son was of the disbelievers, and that blood is not the true bond between people. The son of the prophet is not his son in faith; it's who ever follows Allah and the Prophet. Not those who disbelieved in him, even if it was his own flesh and blood.

Noah disembarked the ark, he released the birds and beasts and they scattered throughout the earth. After that the believers came out, Noah prostrated on the wet ground and after his prayer he dug the basis for building a temple dedicated to Allah. There followed a day of fasting in thankfulness to Allah.

The Qur'an closed the curtain on Noah's story; we do not know what happened between him and his people after this point. All we know is that Noah asked his son on his death bed to worship Allah alone. Noah then passed away.

Today's Practical Work

Please guide someone this Ramadan and be patient like Noah. Try to look for good company to be with, to ensure you stay on the right path after Ramadan, just as Noah was with good company on the Ark, and established a temple after the flood for the believers to worship in.

[img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules.php?name=Lectures&action=display_lecture&lecture_id=60"]Source[/url]

#4 Zeinab

Zeinab

Muhammad Rasula’Allah!

• IF Guardian
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

Noah's Story Part 4

26th October 2004

The Family

Today we will complete Prophet Nuh's story. I often start with the story and then discuss the aim or the benefit of it. Now I'm going to talk about our condition; where we nowadays?

The most important thing I should concentrate on is that we can't reform our society without solid families. When you see broken families and broken homes, you will know that the whole society is breaking up too. Western societies are better than Arab societies in many aspects, but we have something better! We have the institution of the family. However, for the last 10 years, this special institution we have has been neglected and destroyed.

Many problems have now appeared; the lack of love between married couples, love and mercy that the Quran talks about is rarely found! The divorce rate has increased, betrayals have increased, the love which is the basis of every home does not exist as before, and the relationships between parents and their children have become very weak.

The father's main issue is that he provides the money and gives orders to the family. The children want to be isolated from their parents. Unfortunately, the result is that we can't see a big family driven apart, not knowing that their son takes drugs, or that their daughter has married secretly. Parents are the last to know, while the friends are the first. The influence of the friends have is stronger than the influence of the parents in regards to the behaviour of our children.

Now I am imagining that the parents return as companions, the return of the warm bond between families to make a reform, since we can't reform without the bond of the family. All these problems are according to the isolation between the youth and the parents. Everyone has his own world. The home is consisted of heavy walls or isolated rooms, as if "I don't need my family except to provide me with money or food." We need to let friendship return between the children and their parents.

Let's imagine, for example, how the father can accompany his son? He can invite his son for dinner together and give him the chance to open his heart to him. Then the father or mother can share with the son or daughter, their experiences. The picture of the whole family sitting together thinking and discussing their son's future, together in co-operation. We hope to return to this lovely picture which is missing from our society now.

Prophets' Example of the Family

I wish we can repeat the example of Prophet Jacob and his son Prophet Yusuf. His father accompanied him since the age of 3, and then Yusuf saw a dream at the age of 12. He told no one except his father. He didn't go to confide in a friend, or his brothers. He told his father that he had seen 11 planets and the sun and moon bowing to him. So his father advised him not to tell his brothers about the dream. See how the relation is so strong between the father and son despite the fact that the son is only 12 years old.

The other example is about Prophet Abraham and his son Prophet Ismail. When Prophet Abraham saw a vision that he was slaughtering his son, and that it was an order from Allah (SWT), the father went to his son, asking him his opinion! See how the father included his son in that decision?! Ismail was so young too, and his father wanted him to have a say in this important matter. This shows that both father and son were raised well, able to discuss important issues with one another, and not have to discuss such issues with friends first.

Before we apply all of these examples to Prophet Nuh's story, I want to say there was a close relation between Yusuf and his father Jacob, and also between Abraham and his son Ismail. However, some parents have failed to make this close relation with their sons, due to fathers not opening their hearts to their sons, or sometimes sons are very uncooperative.

So nowadays the youth don't want to talk with their parents or confide in them, instead they prefer their friends. Perhaps the parents are the cause of this breakdown of communication, or the media, which has affected youths' minds.

Nuh's Relationship with his Son

In Prophet Nuh's story, we see the terrible death of his son, who isolated himself from his father and refused to listen to his advice.

Allah (SWT) says "And Nuh called out to his son, who had separated himself (from the rest)" [Qur'an 11:42].

What is the meaning of the word [separated] here? It means his son separated his time and place with his father. So Nuh said: "O my son! Embark with us, and be not with the unbelievers!" [Qur'an 11:42]

Nuh's son said, "I will betake myself to some mountain: it will save me from the water." Then Nuh said "This day nothing can save, from the command of Allah, any but those on whom He hath mercy!" And the waves came between them, and the son was among those overwhelmed in the Flood. [Qur'an 11:43]

The Qur'an draws a perfect picture for us here. What is more awful, than to see your son drowning in front of you, and you can do nothing about it? We are afraid to see this type of relationship between the parents and their children nowadays.

Reforming our Families

I urge parents to understand and implement their real role. You're not only providing money, every father and mother's role is to accompany their children, be their close friends. Let's do it today, everyone, go to your parents and open your heart to them! Even if you find it a hard task, just try and don't loose hope! Let your family come together and worship Allah together. A good idea is choose one day every week to recite the Quran together. Previously I wondered when I saw some parents who don't want their children to be religious…If your son or daughter becomes religious and that builds on calm and mature principles, be sure that this will protect them. Not only that, but they will treat you very well.

The Prophet (PBUH) was so keen to strengthen family bonds. For instance, once he went to one of the companion's home, asking all the family members to come together and sit around him, so that he could pray for them. Why did he do this? Because he wanted that gathering, he wanted the whole family bonding together. If we miss that wonderful gathering, we will drown.

Close relationships are not only meant for parents and their children, it is also meant for husbands and wives! Search for the wife who will take you to the ship, the right path, and search for the husband who will take you to the ship, to the right path, to be together near Allah (SWT). Another example is from an Azhar professor who was with me in London. He loves his wife, to the extent that he is like an 18 year old youth in a romance! This good man woke up early in the morning, as he wanted to buy a gift for his wife, so that when she would wake up, she would be happy to see it. When I heard this I was so amazed because they are over 50 years old, and they still have deep love for each other! So when I visited them in Egypt, I found that they used to dedicate one day of the week where the whole family gathered to recite the Quran.

The Prophet said, in its meaning, keep the love of Your father, don't loose it, or Allah will darken you. 'Darken' means that your life will be dark if you stopped loving and showing respect for your father. Open your hearts and don't be shy! I warn you from bad companions! Be good to your parents. When one of the Prophet's companions asked about the one whom he must accompany well in life, he replied "your mother" three times, and then "your father" one time. They are the only greatest companions to us in our life! So if we see that a healthy relationship exists between our parents and ourselves, we will all be happy. It's easy to take this opportunity in Ramadan, as it's a holy month! Pure hearts exist, besides the devils are chained in Hell now. Let's do this before our death, before our parents pass away, and we will be crying for the time we missed with them.

Nuh's Example

When Prophet Nuh asked Allah that his son was from his own family, asking forgiveness for his son, Allah (SWT) said that his son was not a good human.

The main message I am sending today is for all the families to be close and maintain their bonds. Satan's main mission is to break up families and then break up society as a whole. Prophet Nuh didn't divorce his wife, she wasn't that bad, but she was a weak wife. Look at how he was keen on not breaking up the home. Divorce is not an easy word, but we see that it is now spreading, and it happened for trivial things.

My great hope and my precious demand is the return of a close relationship between family members. If we want to reform our society, we must have two important characteristics:

1) Patience

2) Sacrifice

The story of Nuh is full of these two characteristics. Look at the last verse in Chapter Nuh which says for us to be patient, as this is the good end for those who fear Allah. So this verse summarises the whole story. Patience is a virtue behind all the good characters.

In his dying moments, Angel Gabriel descended, asking Nuh how he sees life now. Prophet Nuh said that life for him is like a house that has 2 doors; he entered from one, and left from the other. Life is really short. We can't reform Islam's situation without patience. Patience has been mentioned 90 times in the Qur'an, more than any other characteristic.

The second characteristic is sacrifice. However, frankly, no one wants to sacrifice anything! But in human history, no one reached their dreams without scarifying something. Unfortunately, we as Muslims now lack these 2 characteristics. If you really love the Prophet (PBUH) and you want to follow his way, you must possess these characteristics. He suffered a lot till he reached the reformation Allah sent Him for. Please have patience in Ramadan, have patience in satisfying Allah and in avoiding sins. Without patience and sacrifice, there will be no hope.

Today's Practical Task

How can we do that? How can we possess these 2 great characteristics? By totally submitting ourselves to Allah, crying, prostrating, praying a lot, asking for His help, and asking for His aid. Ramadan is our chance to reform, and if we succeed in Ramadan we will succeed after Ramadan, and in the coming years.

[img]"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.daralislamlive(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/modules.php?name=Lectures&action=display_lecture&lecture_id=63"]Source[/url]