Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo
- - - - -

Sahaba Quiz

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kai Thaabit

Kai Thaabit

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

salam

1. What is the requirement of a person to be counted as a Sahaba of the Prophet?

2. All the Sahaba are righteous, but they are categorized into ranks of status. Please, name the first five categories of Sahaba?

3. Who is the Sahaba who had a wet dream and died as a Shaheed in the battle of Uhud without ghusl? What happened when he died?

4. Who was the Sahabi who was killed by the transgressing side in the battle of Siffin between Mu'awiyah ibn Abi Sufyan and Ali abi Talib?

5. Which Sahabi is going to return again in the end of time? Please explain the reason why.

#2 Sampharo

Sampharo

• IF Guardian
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

Dear Yusha,

Let me take part in this even though I have reservations on some of the questions:

1- A Sahabi means companion, and it referred to the companions of the prophet. The requirement is that the person have seen and met the prophet directly, joining Islam during the prophet's life, and dying as a muslim. Those who joined Islam and then apostated, or knew the prophet and only reverted to Islam after the prophet's death are not considered Sahaba.

2- Ranks of status were not firmly or formally established except in case of Ahl El-Bait, who are members of the house of the prophet as in his direct family and relatives, they were highly regarded. However, the following are descriptive categories of Sahaba based on their deeds or groups they belonged to:

a- Ahl El-Bait: just explained.
b- Ten foretold of their entry into Paradise: Those include the four Kholafa Rashedeen (Guided Califs) Abu Bakr El-Seddiq, Omar Ebn El-Khattab, Othman Ebn Affan, and Ali Ebn Abi Taleb, that is along with Talha Ebn Obaid Allah, Zubayr ibn al-Awwam, Abd al-Rahman ibn Awf, Abu Obeida Ebn Al-Jarrah, Saad Ebn Abi Waqqas, and Saeed Ebn Zaid.
c- Muhajirin: Those who left their homes in Makka and travelled with the prophet to Medina.
d- Ansar: Those who supported those Muhajirin and the prophet -PBUH- and received them in Medina and especially the ones who made the Bayaat Al-Ridwan (Pact of Ridwan).
e- Those who witnessed Badr: Special appreciation was mentioned by the prophet regarding those who went out for the very first raid in Islamic history as mujahedeen.
Imam Suyuti says some scholars liked to rank Sahaba as per the following: The four Califs, followed by the other six in the Ten foretold of entry into paradise and including Hasan and Hussein ebn Ali the grandchildren of the prophet -PBUH- , followed by the 313 others who fought in Badr, followed by the 700 who fought in Uhud, followed by the One and a half thousand who commited to and made the Bayaat Al-Ridwan.

3- Hanthala Ebn Abi Aamer, but he did not have a wet dream, he was with his wife as a newly wed and left without doing Ghosl (washing) as soon as the call was made. The companions found his body on the field intact and drenched in water. When they asked the prophet he told them the angels washed him instead.

4- This is a strange question in its language, many Sahaba died in this unfortunate battle between Ali and Mu'awiyah, so why refer to "Sahabi" as single? Also what exactly WOULD you call transgressing side? Ali's army was the attacker but it was the Calif's army and therefore cannot be regarded as "transgressing". Ammar Ebn Yaser and Hisham Ebn Utba are amongst the Sahaba who dies in this battle.

5- There is no such thing as a Sahabi who will return at the end of time before judgement day. Only Jesus -pbuh- who was raised to God's heavens alive in body would return at the end of time to slay the anti-christ, and that is not a Sahabi. Outside of Islam, some Shia believe in something called the Occultation, which is that the Mahdi was already born and disappeared, and will return at the end of time, and even still that is not a Sahabi let alone to be fabrication and has no place here. On another note, Ebn Majah told that at the death of Abdullah Ebn Haram in the battle of Uhud, his son Jaber was crying so hard over his body, uncovering his face over and again, and all but the prophet were trying to get him to stop. The prophet -pbuh- then told Jaber: "Do you want to know what God said to your father?", then Jaber said yes, the prophet -pbuh- said that God speak to men from behind a veil, but spoke to Abdullah directly, saying "Ask me anything you want and I'll give it to you", and Abdullah said "send me back to fight and die for you again". God said "I would have, but I already foretold that "none who passed shall return (to life)", "Ãäåã ÅáíåÇ áÇ íÑÌÚæä", and Abdullah said "then let those left behind know", and God sent his verses "Do not think that those who are killed in the way of God are dead, but alive with God and provided for", "æóáóÇ ÊóÍúÓóÈóäøó ÇáøóÐöíäó ÞõÊöáõæÇ Ýöí ÓóÈöíáö Çááåö ÃóãúæóÇÊðÇ Èóáú ÃóÍúíóÇÁñ ÚöäúÏó ÑóÈøöåöãú íõÑúÒóÞõæäó".

Anyway, it's good to have quizzes.

#3 Aussie

Aussie

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:25 PM

5- There is no such thing as a Sahabi who will return at the end of time before judgement day. Only Jesus -pbuh- who was raised to God's heavens alive in body would return at the end of time to slay the anti-christ, and that is not a Sahabi. Outside of Islam, some Shia believe in something called the Occultation, which is that the Mahdi was already born and disappeared, and will return at the end of time, and even still that is not a Sahabi let alone to be fabrication and has no place here. On another note, Ebn Majah told that at the death of Abdullah Ebn Haram in the battle of Uhud, his son Jaber was crying so hard over his body, uncovering his face over and again, and all but the prophet were trying to get him to stop. The prophet -pbuh- then told Jaber: "Do you want to know what God said to your father?", then Jaber said yes, the prophet -pbuh- said that God speak to men from behind a veil, but spoke to Abdullah directly, saying "Ask me anything you want and I'll give it to you", and Abdullah said "send me back to fight and die for you again". God said "I would have, but I already foretold that "none who passed shall return (to life)", "Ãäåã ÅáíåÇ áÇ íÑÌÚæä", and Abdullah said "then let those left behind know", and God sent his verses "Do not think that those who are killed in the way of God are dead, but alive with God and provided for", "æóáóÇ ÊóÍúÓóÈóäøó ÇáøóÐöíäó ÞõÊöáõæÇ Ýöí ÓóÈöíáö Çááåö ÃóãúæóÇÊðÇ Èóáú ÃóÍúíóÇÁñ ÚöäúÏó ÑóÈøöåöãú íõÑúÒóÞõæäó".

Isa (as) is a sahabi because he is a companion and will not returning as a prophet. He will have to follow the revelation of Muhammad (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ) as we do. This is the opinion of my teacher and he is better then me so I am sticking to it.

#4 Aussie

Aussie

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

3- Hanthala Ebn Abi Aamer, but he did not have a wet dream, he was with his wife as a newly wed and left without doing Ghosl (washing) as soon as the call was made. The companions found his body on the field intact and drenched in water. When they asked the prophet he told them the angels washed him instead.

Maybe he is referring to the companion who woke up after a wet dream and then consulted the sahabi about having ghusl despite his head wound. They told him he had to ghusl and the wound opened up killing him. When the Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وسلم ) heard about this he blamed the death on the sahabi who advised him to ghusl. Please confirm this as my memory is not good and could of made a mistake. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the companion (ra)

Edited by Aussie, 02 April 2009 - 10:35 PM.

#5 Kai Thaabit

Kai Thaabit

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

I think that the questions seem to be confusing so I answer them now:

1. A Sahabi means companion, and it referred to the companions of the prophet. The requirement is that the person have seen and met the prophet directly, joining Islam during the prophet's life, and dying as a muslim. Those who joined Islam and then apostated, or knew the prophet and only reverted to Islam after the prophet's death are not considered Sahaba.

2. This is the list I came across very often:

a) Abu Bakr
b) Four Khulafaa Rashidoon
c) Ten who were given glad tidings of Jannah while in dunya.
d) Those who participated in the battle of Badr
e) Those who participated in the Pledge of Ridwaan

3. 3- Hanthala Ebn Abi Aamer, but he did not have a wet dream, he was with his wife as a newly wed and left without doing Ghosl (washing) as soon as the call was made. The companions found his body on the field intact and drenched in water. When they asked the prophet he told them the angels washed him instead.

4. The Prophet told in the hadith that Ammar ibn Yasir will be killed by the transgressing party:

5. The Sahabi who comes in the end of time is Isa bin Maryam alayhissalam.

He is a sahaba of the prophet because he fulfills the requirement described above. Remember, that Muhammad met with Isa in Isra and Miraj in the second heaven and Isa was alive body and soul.

#6 Sampharo

Sampharo

• IF Guardian
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hi Yusha,

Well thanks for the quiz. As for Isa ebn Mariam -pbuh-, well the word Sahabi is an Arabic derivative of friend and companion, and messengers or prophets cannot be regarded as another's companion because they are individually charged with a message to deliver. Haroon -pbuh- was a prophet and despite his time with Musa -pbuh- he was never Naseer or Hawary. Jesus had his own hawareyyeen and ansar "ãä ÃäÕÇÑí Çáì Çááå" and so did most of the messengers. Furthermore it was firmly established that the meeting on the Isra was a miracle from God in transcending time and that the messengers were carried across time to pray together, Sahabi refers to a man who embraced Islam and met the prophet in his time and came under his following.

That as a subject however that has not been exactly exhausted in research by anyone as it is marginal and neither elevates nor delegates anything onto Jesus -pbuh-. But if you're gonna ask a question about a Sahabi Yusha I'm sure you can agree it's tricky at best to mean a prophet. :sl: Like I said though, good quiz. Get some more up here but make them harder, will you? :no:

Isa (as) is a sahabi because he is a companion and will not returning as a prophet. He will have to follow the revelation of Muhammad (Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÓáã ) as we do.

No, Aussie, you need to review this. Isa ebn Mariam returns as Isa el-Masseeh, Jesus Christ, as a standing prophet and messenger and with miraculous abilities. Also Jesus is, like messengers are, infallible in his message. He will lead mankind at war, killing an unstoppable anti-christ with nothing more than sight and breath, and later on he will lead the World through an unprecedented era of peace. Jesus's message and charge was not different than any other messenger (Moses, Abraham, and Mohamed) and does not differ from the revelation of Mohamed, it is the perfection and completeness of our book that sets us as muslims apart from those who manufactured man-made religions around the earlier messengers, why do you think we say "reverting" to Islam? Islam was since Ibrahim and followed by all, it is the people who changed it and hid its parts and destroyed the messages across time.

Anyway if you're not convinced that is ok, you won't take it like this here if as you said your teacher told you this and you believe in him. My advice is check other important things with other learned scholars to make sure you learn from several authentic sources, this is crucial in studying Islam.

As for the sahabi who dies from ghosl, I remember that story too. I am not sure if it was Abdullah ibn Bishr or not though! However Yusha said the one in question died as a shaheed in battle of uhud without ghosl, and that was definitely Hanthala. The story you mentioned the sahabi was hurt in his head during travel and at prayer time he asked whether he should do tayammum instead of ghosl, and they said no, but it ended up causing him complications and hence the rest of the story. But what's his name?! research time. :sl:

#7 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

:sl:

Jesus(pbuh) is a Prophet and will return as one. He will follow the Law given to Muhammad(pbuh) though, he will not rule by Torah and the Gospel anymore. Every Prophet(peace be upon them all) would have to follow Muhammad(pbuh).

#8 Sampharo

Sampharo

• IF Guardian
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

:sl:

Jesus(pbuh) is a Prophet and will return as one. He will follow the Law given to Muhammad(pbuh) though, he will not rule by Torah and the Gospel anymore. Every Prophet(peace be upon them all) would have to follow Muhammad(pbuh).

Yes, that is true, there will be no ruling by gospel or torat. I have a question though Younes: isn't the law one and the same in the original form? I mean the gospels and torah as it exists today are nothing but fabrications of misguided individuals to sinister architecturers of self-service. Aren't they in original form matching what we were given as law and sharia? I remember the story when the prophet Mohammed -pbuh- was walking once and saw a man tied to a pole, when he asked the jewish people answered that he is an adulterer, so he called to the head of their Ahbar (grand rabbi) and asked him to speak the truth whether that was the punishment as in the torat, and the rabbi confessed that it was stoning as is in Islam but his people felt it was too harsh, to which Mohammed's reply was that this was the heart of the corruption, and that God's law was all one, whether that which was delivered by Musa or by him.

Another question: In judgement day the prophets will lead their umam and stand at their head (those of whom believed and deserve to enter paradise of course) and Mohammed will lead the muslim ummah. Since Isa is the only one who will ever return before judgement day, what do you mean by "Every prophet would have to follow muhammad"?

#9 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Yes, that is true, there will be no ruling by gospel or torat. I have a question though Younes: isn't the law one and the same in the original form? I mean the gospels and torah as it exists today are nothing but fabrications of misguided individuals to sinister architecturers of self-service. Aren't they in original form matching what we were given as law and sharia? I remember the story when the prophet Mohammed -pbuh- was walking once and saw a man tied to a pole, when he asked the jewish people answered that he is an adulterer, so he called to the head of their Ahbar (grand rabbi) and asked him to speak the truth whether that was the punishment as in the torat, and the rabbi confessed that it was stoning as is in Islam but his people felt it was too harsh, to which Mohammed's reply was that this was the heart of the corruption, and that God's law was all one, whether that which was delivered by Musa or by him.

No, the Law in the Torah (Law of Moses) and the Gospel (Law of Jesus) are different from the Law given to Muhammad. For example, the Law of Moses (both the real and the corrupted version) contains the Sabbath, yet we do not have Sabbath. Furthermore, God says, "And of the oxen and the sheep forbade We unto them the fat thereof save that upon the backs or the entrails, or that which is mixed with the bone.", in verse 6:146, yet we do not have that in Islam.

I don't know where you got that narrative from, but Moses(pbuh) and Muhammad(pbuh) definately do not have the same Laws. They have similarities in them, sure, but they are not 100% alike.

Another question: In judgement day the prophets will lead their umam and stand at their head (those of whom believed and deserve to enter paradise of course) and Mohammed will lead the muslim ummah. Since Isa is the only one who will ever return before judgement day, what do you mean by "Every prophet would have to follow muhammad"?

It isn't really me who said that "every Prophet would have to follow Muhammad", it is actually the Prophet(pbuh) himself. Umar(ra) ibn Khattab, who was once popular among the Jews before they turned against the Muslims, once came to Muhammad(pbuh) with a copy of a piece from the Torah given to him by a Jew and started reciting it. During that incident Muhammad(pbuh) said that even Moses(pbuh) would be a disbeliever were he not to follow him. It means that Muhammad(pbuh) is the last Prophet and Messenger and everybody has to follow his Law. Before Muhammad(pbuh)'s Law, the Jewish Prophets(pbut) judged by the Torah and after Jesus(pbuh) people were obliged to judge by the Gospel. Now, everything will be judged by Islam. As you know all believers have to obey Muhammad(pbuh), well, the same applies to the rest of the Prophets(pbut).

Edited by Younes Ibn Abd' al-Aziz, 03 April 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#10 Kai Thaabit

Kai Thaabit

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

I am always ready to learn more and what Sampharo said makes sense. If Isa bin Maryam, alayhissalam, comes in our lifetime and I am alive and meet him then I will ask him insha'Allah. If not then insha'Allah, I have to wait until I meet him in Jannah.

I believe that the people of Eesa bin Maryam such as Waraqa bin Naufal or others will follow Isa ben Maryam on the Day of Judgement, although I am not sure if Waraqa bin Naufal is a Sahabi.

The fact that Abu Bakr As Siddiq is the first of Ummah Muhammad to enter through the gates of Jannah probably shows that Eesa ben Maryam will have his own followers leading them as an Imam to Jannah.

I don't want a big debate happening concerning this topic.

The next quiz "Sahaba Quiz II" will be more difficult

#11 Kai Thaabit

Kai Thaabit

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

We may close this thread unless you find it more beneficial to leave it open.