Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo
- - - - -

Exercise Is More Important Than Diet

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 opik

opik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

Hmm, let's see. so far, opik have read these topics
but opik is very suprised that there are little(to not mention no one) mention about Exercise
this is because in the lecture of my university

Exercise alone can contribute more to reducing body fat than diet alone
athlete's for example, many of them eat very much and for many people are considered unhealthy
don't forget many boxers are overweight, but they can still keep up their health
why?
this because exercise, instead of keeping and rotten the supplies from food,
they use it to do activities and build their bodies
as you can see, many of them are overweight but not obesity
it's a waste if the food that goes in comes otu because the body doesn't need and use it

obesity and overweight are two words that are often confused each other
but their meaning is differen, overweight is for body weight, and obesity is for fat
being overweight doesn't mean you have obesity, and also for the opposite

to be continued

#2 multezem

multezem

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:reading books

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

thank u brother!!!

peace,,

#3 Ewany

Ewany

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

Salam. mashaAllah thank you dear brother for sharing. I don't know how to jog around in the park while everybodys staring at me since I don't know what clothes to wear so I only wear sports attire (of course I wear hijab too) but sometimes wearing pants is like exposing how legs look like. So yea I feel weird. (out of topic) xD

#4 geewhiz

geewhiz

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:06 AM

Assalammualaikum,

This topic catches my attention because my resolution this year is to lose weight and be more healthy.

Ewany, if you feel weird exercising in the park (I wear hijab too and sometimes it is weird), I would suggest you do aerobic in the comfort of your home.

I usually follow this easy aerobic program from youtube, Micah Bo (just search his name) and I enjoy it very much. His steps are easy and make you sweat!

#5 opik

opik

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

hmm, my lecturer once observed exercise activity
and concluded, for normal people

exercising about 30 minutes three times a week
with your pulse about 70% max pulse(220-age(year))
is enough

combine with good diet, please eat enough, don't be silly and eat nothing
eat rich carbohydrate food for energy, and it's best that in the 2 hour's after
exercise, you immediately eat, because that is the time your muscle storage is
developing rapidly (the glikogen)

#6 ãõÍóãóøÏ

ãõÍóãóøÏ

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

:sl:

An obese person can exercise all he wants but If he has a calorie surplus he is going to remain obese. Sure, you can have a calorie surplus and not gain fat but that is done by eating properly and excersie, but clearly this isn't the case for the obese person otherwise he wouldn't be obese.

If you want to lose weight then you need to find out how many calories your body needs per day and subtract 500 from it to lose a pound a week.

You can use this calculator to work it out:

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcalculator(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/calorie-calculator.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetcalculator(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/calorie-calculator.html[/url]

Is what I have said correct? Having studied the subject you can correct me.

#7 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Actually, calories main concern when it comes to losing weight. Losing weight is related to insulin sensitivity. Calorie restriction and physical excercise make people's cells more sensitive to insulin which enables them to lose weight.

The reason why athletes, and in this case, I am talking about lean ones, can a lot of food and not gain fat is because their cells are very receptive to insulin. You do not have to excercise to lose weight, nor do you have to eat less calories.

Like I said, excercise and calorie restriction do help lose weight, but it is not a necessity. What you need is a diet that restricts carbohydrates. That means no bread, pasta, sphagetti, sugar, milk. Then eat protein and good fats such as olive oil and coconut oil. If you want carbohydrates, then you can eat foods such as cucumber and salad. They contain carbohydrates but not a lot.

I personally have lost a lot of weight on my diet which consists only of eggs, tuna, olive and coconut oil and occasionally meat. On this kind of diet you can lose weight very quickly and if combined with excercise it's really excellent. The thing is you probably won't be able to excercise in the beggining until you get accustomed to the diet because you have been used to so much carbohydrates, but the diet really does the trick, you really don't have to excercise. I also take supplements such as vitamin C, Omega-3's, vitamin A, D and E, magnesium and calcium. I have lost a considerable amount of weight in a very short and feel a lot better. I also eat two times a day, previously I used to eat 4 or 5 times a day which is not really good if you want to keep insulin levels down.

Do a search on insulin sensitivity to find out more, or ask me questions if you want to.

#8 ãõÍóãóøÏ

ãõÍóãóøÏ

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

You do not have to excercise to lose weight, nor do you have to eat less calories.

How are you going to lose weight if you have an excess of calories? If you are consuming more calories than your body can use then that is going to turn into fat, no?

I don't understand how this diet would work for someone who is considerably obese... then again maybe it's my lack of knowledge.

Are you going to continue with your diet once you have reached your desired weight? What about when it comes to building muscle, this diet wouldn't be suitable for that or would it? And, how many calories are you consuming a day and how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking.

#9 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,062 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

How are you going to lose weight if you have an excess of calories? If you are consuming more calories than your body can use then that is going to turn into fat, no?

I don't understand how this diet would work for someone who is considerably obese... then again maybe it's my lack of knowledge.

Brother, I suggest you search the net for "insulin sensitivity" and "insulin resitance" because quite frankly this topic is not such that can be explained in a few sentences. This diet would especially good for a person who is obese whose diet usually consists of too much carbohydrates. By restricting their carbohydrate intake, they would increase their insulin sensitivity a lot. Also they would lose a lot of water weight because carbohydrates make your body store excess water, too. This is diet is not about calories, it's about eating good calories and avoiding bad calories.

Are you going to continue with your diet once you have reached your desired weight? What about when it comes to building muscle, this diet wouldn't be suitable for that or would it? And, how many calories are you consuming a day and how much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking.

I am not on this diet to lose weight, I am on it due to health reasons, i.e. to build up immune system. The supplements and the foods build up my immune system. The reason why I mentioned it is because the subject is weight loss. I don't have any desired weight goal in mind.

I will be for ever on this diet, Insha Allah. However, I will be strictly on this diet for about a year or until I deem myself healthy enough to reintroduce carbohydrates. But I won't be eating them like I previously did, I will only eat them at some special social venues like if I'm invited for dinner or at a party and in very minute quantities like for example a couple of dates which is a Sunnah of the Messenger of God(pbuh) - minute quantities compared large quantities which I had like bread for breakfast and two servings of either rice, pasta, or sphagetti a day and I would drink a lot of commercial juice which is full of sugar - and I would drink them too frequently throught out the day.

Yes, this diet is suitable for building muscle because you get a lot of calories from the fats I mentioned and you get a good amount of protein. But then again building muscle has got a lot of other variables, more important in my opinion, such as the way a person trains and recovery.

I weigh 150 pounds. I don't know how many calories I consume. I eat four table spoons of coconut oil, six spoons of olive oil, ten eggs and 160 grams of tuna a day. Plus, I use two big table spoons of coconut oil to cook my food. This is what I generally eat, it can vary a bit, i.e. when I buy meat I will only have 5 eggs and 80 g of tuna. Plus I eat the supplements, but their amount from a calorie point of view is insignificant.

#10 ãõÍóãóøÏ

ãõÍóãóøÏ

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for clearing that up brother ...10 eggs a day - Masha'Allah! :sl:

#11 Orthodox

Orthodox

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:All about Salah from Sh. Utaymeen:<br />http://understand-islam.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=23&amp;Itemid=49<br /><br />Fatwas from council of senior scholars:<br />http://www.alifta.com/Default.aspx<br /><br />Fatwas and articles:<br />http://www.islam-qa.com/es <br /><br />Highly recommended for anyone seeking guidence and sound, clear belief about Islam in all matters:<br /><br />http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/index.php

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:52 PM

1, Fast every Modays and Thursdays.
2. Don't eat non-halal foods, especially meat! That leaves us with old vegetables!
3. I rather get fat than do research on this stuff.
4. What about 10 eggs? Does that help gain weight? Because it's hard to find good foods without meat. Eggs and vegetables is all that's left.

Edited by Orthodox, 19 April 2010 - 07:07 PM.

#12 ãõÍóãóøÏ

ãõÍóãóøÏ

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

I rather get fat than do research on this stuff.

That's a little extreme, no? Look after your health.

What about 10 eggs? Does that help gain weight?

Eggs are a good source of protein.

#13 Orthodox

Orthodox

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:All about Salah from Sh. Utaymeen:<br />http://understand-islam.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&amp;view=article&amp;id=23&amp;Itemid=49<br /><br />Fatwas from council of senior scholars:<br />http://www.alifta.com/Default.aspx<br /><br />Fatwas and articles:<br />http://www.islam-qa.com/es <br /><br />Highly recommended for anyone seeking guidence and sound, clear belief about Islam in all matters:<br /><br />http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vbe/index.php

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Look after your health.

Yea, that is the reason I don't fast as often !

Scholars do say that we have to make up fast and Salat that we missed. There are different views on how to.

There was a narration, but I'm not sure, in where the Prophet,saws, said that we only need a few... to survive, or be healty. I should look it up.

Edited by Orthodox, 19 April 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#14 ãõÍóãóøÏ

ãõÍóãóøÏ

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

There was a narration, but I'm not sure, in where the Prophet,saws, said that we only need a few... to survive, or be healty. I should look it up.

“The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to eat a few mouthfuls, to keep him going. If he must do that (fill his stomach), then let him fill one third with food, one third with drink and one third with air.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1381), Ibn Maajah (3349); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (2265).

Yea, that is the reason I don't fast as often !

You can still fast every Monday and Thursday, that isn't going to be detrimental to your health. Or, do you feel you are underweight?

Edited by ãõÍóãóøÏ, 19 April 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#15 Orthodox

Orthodox

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

JazzakAllahu khayr

do you feel you are underweight?

I don't care :sl:

Edited by Orthodox, 19 April 2010 - 07:32 PM.

#16 al faqeer

al faqeer

Community Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,385 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

we have a saying in Arabic which simply means , Movement ( as in the body ) is Barakah :sl: .

So i think both go hand in hand eating habits and regular workout , be it walking daily or working out in a gym and i dont care how old u are .

#17 Kai Thaabit

Kai Thaabit

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

Salam

According to a lecture, the main factors of obesity are:

1. Over-eating = filling up the stomach until it hurts
2. Stationary Lifestyle

I also learned that coffee is bad for loosing weight because caffeine prevents the enzymes that burns the fat cells from being burned. Caffeine protects the fat cells from being burned.

#18 Kai Thaabit

Kai Thaabit

• PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

Please, listen to the following lecture by Yaser Issa Birjas about Fitness in Islam which was posted by another board member.

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=372019.html&"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetgawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?showtopic=372019.html&[/url]

#19 Zahra1

Zahra1

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Reading islamic books

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, it is.
Thank you for good information.

#20 fajr_tear

fajr_tear

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

I thought it's 70% about what you eat, and 30% about exercises?

Edited by fajr_tear, 20 July 2011 - 09:00 AM.