Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo

Islam And Dogs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mookster

mookster

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

I ask these questions out of ignorance, so please don't take offense. I came to get a straight answer from Muslims. I am from the U.S.A.

I have heard that Muslims consider dogs to be "unclean" and never have them as pets.

So I am wondering:
  • Is this truly a belief in Islam, or is this is just a cultural norm from countries that happen to be predominantly Islamic. In other words, is there something in Islamic theology about dogs or is it just a cultural tradition from different countries.
  • Does this belief or tradition vary from place to place? I know Islam exists all over the world.
  • Do some Muslims have dogs for pets?
  • What does "unclean" mean?
  • What do Muslims think about dogs and how they should be treated?
I ask this because other than my family, there is nothing more important to me in this world than my dog. Every dog I have owned has been loving and very loyal and I find them to be magnificent, innocent, pure animals. There is nothing that makes me more angry than any kind of animal cruelty, especially regarding dogs.

I have read a couple things:
  • Muhammad had a cat.
  • Muhammad once protected a female dog who was giving birth so that no one would disturb her and her puppies.
I don't know if those are true.

#2 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,062 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:05 AM

I ask these questions out of ignorance, so please don't take offense. I came to get a straight answer from Muslims. I am from the U.S.A.

I have heard that Muslims consider dogs to be "unclean" and never have them as pets.

So I am wondering:

• Is this truly a belief in Islam, or is this is just a cultural norm from countries that happen to be predominantly Islamic. In other words, is there something in Islamic theology about dogs or is it just a cultural tradition from different countries.
  • Does this belief or tradition vary from place to place? I know Islam exists all over the world.
  • Do some Muslims have dogs for pets?
  • What does "unclean" mean?
  • What do Muslims think about dogs and how they should be treated?

Hello,

There is no need to apologise for asking questions, especially when you are polite.

The saliva of a dog is unclean in Islam. It is not a cultural thing. You come from a Judeo-Christian background. In the Torah, for example, certain things render you ritually impure and certain animals are impure. The saliva of a dog renders a person impure.

Muslims can have as dogs pets, i.e. guard dogs and hunting dogs. But because their saliva renders you impure, you can't have them as a pet in the sense you probably implying, i.e. a pet that lives you all the time.

Dogs are creatures of God. They should be treated well and definately not harmed. One famous tradition of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is of a prostitute from the children of israel. God admitted her into Paradise because she once saw a thristy dog. She felt compassion for the dog and took water in her shoe and gave the dog to drink. She was saved from Hell based on that deed despite being a prostitute.

I ask this because other than my family, there is nothing more important to me in this world than my dog. Every dog I have owned has been loving and very loyal and I find them to be magnificent, innocent, pure animals. There is nothing that makes me more angry than any kind of animal cruelty, especially regarding dogs.

Animal cruelty is sick and prohibited in Islam.

In Islamic culture (certain texts), the traits of a dog are highly regarded like loyalty.

I have read a couple things:

• Muhammad had a cat.
  • Muhammad once protected a female dog who was giving birth so that no one would disturb her and her puppies.
I don't know if those are true.

I don't what the original sources are. For example, I know the original source of the prostitute's and the dog's story. I don't know the original sources for these claims, although I read on wiki that William Montgomery Watt (who is a historian) say that Muhammd (pbuh) showed kindness to animals and mentioned the story about the female dog and her puppies. I don't what his first hand source is though. What I do know is that the Prophet (pbuh) forbade animal cruelty.

#3 mookster

mookster

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

Thank you for your learned reply.

Is the source for your answers the Quran or is it a later hadith?

#4 AbdulMuhd

AbdulMuhd

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Religion: Believer without religion

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

Why is the saliva of a dog unclean but the saliva of other animals is not mentioned? Can you quote the Quranic verse that says a dog's saliva is unclean?

#5 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

my dog scooter licks me all the time and I still feel clean. :D

#6 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Brother Younes pretty much addressed everything I just wanted to add some sources from the hadith.

Showing compassion to dogs will bring us rewards:

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A man felt very thirsty while he was on the way, there he came across a well. He went down the well, quenched his thirst and came out. Meanwhile he saw a dog panting and licking mud because of excessive thirst. He said to himself, "This dog is suffering from thirst as I did." So, he went down the well again and filled his shoe with water and watered it. Allah thanked him for that deed and forgave him. The people said, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving the animals?" He replied: "Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate (living being). (Bukhari Book 43 No646)

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "While a dog was going round a well and was about to die of thirst, an Israeli prostitute saw it and took off her shoe and watered it. So Allah forgave her because of that good deed." (Bukhari Book 56 no 673)

While Allah prefers that we do not keep a dog as a pet in our home Allah created dogs for other purposes. Allah has given dogs a great sense of smell and hearing. Police forces all around the world use dogs in hunting for drugs etc in many places of society such as Airports and Post Offices. Dogs also are used by farmers to herd and protect sheep. So just because dogs aren't meant to be as pets does not mean we should disregard dogs and think they are some sort of unnecessary animal because Allah created them for a purpose.

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "If somebody keeps a dog, he loses one Qirat (of the reward) of his good deeds everyday, except if he keeps it for the purpose of agriculture or for the protection of livestock. " (Bukhari Book #54, Hadith #541)

Edited by Lost_In_Paradise, 27 February 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#7 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

i understand and respect Islams stance on dogs. that is between you guys. for me, I just couldn't imagine not having a dog for a pet. i ve had them all my life. i like cats too. but dogs are where its at. and dog is god spelled backwards :D

#8 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

I know the koran states dogs are 'unclean' but does it tell you why ?

#9 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

first, it's not in the Quran, but the Hadeeth.
Second I believe, science is about to prove it,

1- dealing with dogs increases the probabilities of breast cancer for women, in a research made by University of Munich. i got this from an Arabic forum with out the reference, you can check it,
2 - I believe too, from social point of view, releasing a great dosage of familiarity, time, emotions and love to these animals will affect the rights of the husband or children who are in more need to these emotions. That could be a slippery way for more bad consequences too.
3 - when my wife was pregnant, the doctor warned here against cats.

Islam Creditability is proven: When Allah warned us against adultery 1400 years ago, the science kept proving day after day and century after another how many bad consequences related to it. In health care, More than 30 STDs, many of them are un-curable, AIDS and may be cancers too or at least some sorts of it, Besides the social and economic consequences.

#10 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I NEVER heard anything MORE STUPID in my life !!! Causing cancer ??!! How 8th century !! University of Munich my foot. It figures... 'an arabic forum' WITHOUT reference'. Another 8th century fountain of superstition. Pets in general teach kids responsibility. Dogs even more so. They are taken to hospitals and nursing homes to brighten the patients lives. Pregnant woman are told to avoid cats because of the bacteria they hold under their nails from the litter box. They are perfectly fine for healthy, non pregnant people.

Dogs Smell Cancer in Patients' Breath, Study Shows

Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
January 12, 2006
Dogs can detect if someone has cancer just by sniffing the person's breath, a new study shows.
Ordinary household dogs with only a few weeks of basic "puppy training" learned to accurately distinguish between breath samples of lung- and breast-cancer patients and healthy subjects.

Posted Image

"Our study provides compelling evidence that cancers hidden beneath the skin can be detected simply by [dogs] examining the odors of a person's breath," said Michael McCulloch, who led the research.
Early detection of cancers greatly improves a patient's survival chances, and researchers hope that man's best friend, the dog, can become an important tool in early screening.
The new study, slated to appear in the March issue of the journal Integrative Cancer Therapies, was conducted by the Pine Street Foundation, a cancer research organization in San Anselmo, California.

Biochemical Markers
Dogs can identify chemical traces in the range of parts per trillion. Previous studies have confirmed the ability of trained dogs to detect skin-cancer melanomas by sniffing skin lesions.
Also, some researchers hope to prove dogs can detect prostate cancer by smelling patients' urine.
"Canine scent detection of cancer was something that was anecdotally discussed for decades, but we felt it was appropriate to design a rigorous study that seriously investigated this topic to better evaluate its effectiveness," said Nicholas Broffman, executive director of the Pine Street Foundation.
Lung- and breast-cancer patients are known to exhale patterns of biochemical markers in their breath.
"Cancer cells emit different metabolic waste products than normal cells," Broffman said. "The differences between these metabolic products are so great that they can be detected by a dog's keen sense of smell, even in the early stages of disease."
The researchers used a food reward-based method to train five ordinary household dogs.
Encountering breath samples captured in tubes, the dogs gave a positive identification of a cancer patient by sitting or lying down in front of a test station.
By scent alone, the canines identified 55 lung and 31 breast cancer patients from those of 83 healthy humans.

The results of the study showed that the dogs could detect breast cancer and lung cancer between 88 and 97 percent of the time.
The high degree of accuracy persisted even after results were adjusted to take into account whether the lung cancer patients were currently smokers.
"It did not seem to matter which dog it was or which stage cancer it was, in terms of our results," Broffman said.

Different Wiring
According to James Walker, director of the Sensory Research Institute at Florida State University in Tallahassee, canines' sense of smell is generally 10,000 to 100,000 times superior to that of humans.
It is unclear what exactly makes dogs such good smellers, though much more of the dog brain is devoted to smell than it is in humans. Canines also have a greater convergence of neurons from the nose to the brain than humans do.
"The dog's brain and nose hardware is currently the most sophisticated odor detection device on the planet," McCulloch, the study leader, said. "Technology now has to rise to meet that challenge."
Researchers envision that dogs could be used in doctors' offices for preliminary cancer detection.
"There are lots of experimental treatments," Walker said. "This could be an experimental diagnostic tool for a while, and one that is impossible to hurt anyone with or to mess up their diagnosis with."
Broffman, the Pine Street director, hopes to build on the current study to explore the development of an "electronic nose."
"Such technology would attempt to achieve the precision of the dog's nose," he said. "Such technology would also be more likely to appear in your doctor's office."

Free E-Mail News Updates
Sign up for our Inside National Geographic newsletter. Every two weeks we'll send you our top stories and pictures.

Edited by kellygreen, 19 March 2012 - 10:11 PM.

#11 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

Would you lick your private parts or lick your skin or fur if you had fur? Would you lick a dogs private parts or it's fur...Well that is what dogs do...and then for a dog to have done that and then lick a human is not very hygienic.

Nowadays of course we have vaccinations for animals but back then I don't think there was any remedy for dogs so as you can imagine they may have carried more diseases then such as rabies and tetanus which could have been passed on from the saliva of the dog to the human.
Also if a person is bitten by a dog they are advised to get an injection called tetanus.Tetanus is the bacteria found in the stomach and feces of animals and is transmitted by the saliva that is why after been bitten humans are advised to get this injection.

Also with regards to the above article - I am not a scientist but I did say earlier that Allah did create dogs for a purpose and gave them a great sense of smell which is why many police forces around the world need dogs. So while He did not create them for humans to use as pets it does not mean He created them for nothing.

#12 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Would you lick your private parts or lick your skin or fur if you had fur? Would you lick a dogs private parts or it's fur...Well that is what dogs do...and then for a dog to have done that and then lick a human is not very hygienic.

There's an old joke about that, but I'll skip it. ALL animals 'lick' themselves. Even cats. And didn't the 'prophet' own one ? Muslims eat chickens and they are some of the filthiest animals around. More people get sick from chicken than any other animal. Avian flu ? But there isn't a 'Canine flu". I like chicken, myself.

Nowadays of course we have vaccinations for animals but back then I don't think there was any remedy for dogs so as you can imagine they may have carried more diseases then such as rabies and tetanus which could have been passed on from the saliva of the dog to the human.
Also if a person is bitten by a dog they are advised to get an injection called tetanus.Tetanus is the bacteria found in the stomach and feces of animals and is transmitted by the saliva that is why after been bitten humans are advised to get this injection.

Just about every animal, and cats. too. And again, didn't the 'prophet' own cats ?

Also with regards to the above article - I am not a scientist but I did say earlier that Allah did create dogs for a purpose and gave them a great sense of smell which is why many police forces around the world need dogs. So while He did not create them for humans to use as pets it does not mean He created them for nothing.

Maybe YOUR 'god' didn't create dogs to be pets, but MY God did !! And you and your medieval prejudice against them are in the vast minority in this world.

Edited by kellygreen, 19 March 2012 - 10:58 PM.

#13 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

Maybe YOUR 'god' didn't create dogs to be pets, but MY God did !! And you and your medieval prejudice against them are in the vast minority in this world.

I am a bit bored of this - people are being nice to you here and answering your questions and just because you get the answer you don't like you start with this type of talk - why should I bother reading through your answers and taking the time to reply and help you with your questions if all you are going to do in every reply to say Islam is a medieval religion etc.

#14 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

I NEVER heard anything MORE STUPID in my life !!! Causing cancer ??!! How 8th century !! University of Munich my foot. It figures... 'an arabic forum' WITHOUT reference'. Another 8th century fountain of superstition. Pets in general teach kids responsibility. Dogs even more so. They are taken to hospitals and nursing homes to brighten the patients lives.

first, i believe if you just jot down "university of munich - dogs - breast cancer" in the GOOGLE, you would find some 100,000s of sites, instead of all of this..... here is some of them

Do dogs harbour risk factors for human breast cancer?‏

breast cancer? B. Laumbacher, B. Fellerhoff, B. Herzberger, R. Wank *. Institute
of Immunology, Klinikum Innenstadt, University of Munich, Goethestrasse 31, ...

168.105.175.200/katz/dogs%20and%20breast%20cancer.pdf‏ - نسخة مخبأة - مماثلة

http://intl.elsevier...m/journals/mehy

Do dogs harbour risk factors for human
breast cancer?
B. Laumbacher, B. Fellerhoff, B. Herzberger, R. Wank *
Institute of Immunology, Klinikum Innenstadt, University of Munich, Goethestrasse 31,
80336 Muenchen, Germany

http://www.dailymail...ually-true.html
Both dogs and humans carry the same virus that can induce cancer
Analysis of breast cancer cases by researchers at the University of Munich showed that patients with this type of cancer were significantly more likely to have kept a dog than a cat.
In fact, 79.7 per cent of all patients had intensive contact with dogs before they were diagnosed.
Only 4.4 per cent of the patients did not have pets at any time compared to 57.3 per cent of a healthy control group ? so there was a 29-fold increased risk for pet owners.
Another study in Norway reported a very high level ? 53.3 per cent ? of breast cancers in 14,401 dogs.
In looking for a reason, scientists found a virus common in both dogs and humans.
The one they homed in on is the mouse mammary tumour virus (MMTV), which triggers breast cancer in mice and which has been investigated for possible links to human breast cancer.
The theory is that dogs, and possibly other pets, harbour and transmit MMTV or MMTVlike viruses that can induce human breast cancer.
The researchers say the theory may help to explain why women from Eastern countries are at increased risk of breast cancer when they move to Western nations ? Asian or Oriental women seldom keep dogs as pets.
Migration to Western countries may cause them to alter their lifestyle, including keeping pet dogs.

second: for me as aMoslem, i will not have a dog for fun, and if i had it for guarding or hunting i will keep it out the house. i will not wait for the science to prove that, because the creator of me, the dogs, the science and scientist obligated me t do so, i'll do so.

third: the USA have a very high percentages of cancers (15 milion cases with 1.5 million new case a year), especialy breast for women (30%), prostate for men (30%) and resperatory systems for both (30%).....which the science don't have a final answer for it. you may need to take seriously, any reasonable research in the field.

forrth: when ever the science proves what Allah told 1400 years ago,just like adultery effects, just stand in front of yor self and say...."amazing, it seems the Moslem's god have a good prediction" , and wait for another evedince

#15 Padre5

Padre5

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Politics, religion, the Boston Red Sox, my family and wine.
  • Religion: Atheism

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Modern science has investigated the danger of dog kisses!

In the name of science, Kyle Manger and Joel Cladouhos sat down in front of Kyle's Labrador retriever, Yogi, and started to eat dinner. Almost instantly, gelatinous icicles of drool began dripping from the dog's jowls.
Instead of being grossed out, the two sophomores at Juneau-Douglas High School held a sterile glass tube under the stream and collected Yogi's saliva for use in their science fair experiment, titled "Dog Saliva: The Next Wonder Drug?"
Seven-hundred miles north, in Fairbanks, West Valley High School senior Patryce McKinney was busy reaching inside the mouths of 102 dogs to complete her award-winning science project, titled "Antibiotics and Dog Saliva."
Each of the students, who hadn't heard of one another's projects, became interested in the rumored ability of dog saliva to kill bacteria. Joel said his father works at a health clinic where a nurse said that wounds inflicted by human bites get infected more often than dog bite wounds. Patryce had heard that a wound will heal faster if you let a dog lick it.
They went about their experiments a bit differently. Kyle and Joel, both 15 and students of John Norton's introductory biology course, used sterile cotton swabs to collect samples containing bacteria found at their school. They swabbed a hand, nose, ear, mouth, and a table, and placed their samples in a petri dish on a bed of agar, a seaweed-derived substance that acts as bacteria food.
After the bacteria had flourished a few days, they made a broth of each type. They then simultaneously placed the bacteria broth and dog saliva in new agar dishes, and let them react for two days.
Patryce, 18, a student of Don Peterson's biotechnology class, obtained millions of Escherichia coli, a disease-causing bacteria commonly found in human and dog feces, from a biological supply company. She made an E.-coli broth, from which she grew a "lawn" of the one-celled organisms on a petri dish.
On her saliva quest, Patryce advertised in the West Valley teacher's lounge for volunteer dogs, and she also went to the animal shelter. Including her border collie, Oreo, she sampled 102 dogs. She chose dogs of different breeds and ages so no particular breed trait would skew her results.
Patryce went straight to the source; wearing latex gloves, she touched a tiny circle of sterile filter paper directly to the rear upper gum of the dogs, back by the molars.
Two of a dog's four saliva ducts, the zygomatic and parotid, empty saliva from glands of the same name at the points from where Patryce sampled. She said she wanted "fresh stuff" as opposed to saliva off the tongue.
After gathering three samples from each dog, Patryce placed the saliva-drenched paper on the E. coli lawns, and, as Kyle and Joel did, looked for "rings of inhibition," where the saliva slowed or stopped the growth of bacteria.
Their findings: Kyle and Joel found that dog saliva did inhibit growth, especially on nose mucous bacteria, but they also found many types of bacteria in the dog saliva itself. They concluded perhaps dog saliva is not the next wonder drug.
Patryce found that in 16 percent of her samples, E. coli growth was inhibited by the dog saliva, which to her was significant enough to show that the antibiotic properties of dog saliva merit further study.
"But it wasn't enough for me to start mass production of dog spit and marketing it," she said.
In a 1990 study done at the University of California, Davis, researchers found dog saliva killed E. coli and Streptococcus canis, another harmful bacteria. The scientists concluded that when mother dogs licked their nipples it helped keep puppies free from disease, and that dogs licking their own wounds accomplished the same goal.
I'll never turn my head from my dog's kiss again. http://www2.gi.alask...ASF12/1234.html

#16 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:00 PM

first, i believe if you just jot down "university of munich - dogs - breast cancer" in the GOOGLE,...

You guys buy into all the goofy stuff. When you look at the paper this story was taken from it was a study of just 69 patients in one hospital, and the 79% of the patients that had experienced contact with a dog had done so at some point over a 30 year period. AT SOME POINT IN 30 YEARS !!!!

#17 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

I am a bit bored of this - people are being nice to you here and answering your questions and just because you get the answer you don't like you start with this type of talk - why should I bother reading through your answers and taking the time to reply and help you with your questions if all you are going to do in every reply to say Islam is a medieval religion etc.

DON'T read my posts and DON'T post answers to them. I could not care less about you. If someone posts something that is patently stupid, I'll say so.

#18 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

You guys buy into all the goofy stuff. When you look at the paper this story was taken from it was a study of just 69 patients in one hospital, and the 79% of the patients that had experienced contact with a dog had done so at some point over a 30 year period. AT SOME POINT IN 30 YEARS !!!!

Summary: We ask consulting patients regularly whether they keep pets in order to identify zoonotic factors. It

became apparent that patients with breast carcinoma (N = 69) owned significantly more often dogs but not cats

compared to age matched female controls.

We compared the frequencies of dog and pet ownership with data from public available statistics on women

(N = 1320) of the same age group in Bavaria. The most striking result was that more than twice the number of patients

kept dogs permanently in the last 10 years and at the time of interrogation as compared to control individuals at the

time of interrogation (p = 0.0000003, relative risk 3.5). Further internet search on the morbidity of breast carcinoma

showed in dogs a protracted course of disease and metastases into lung, liver and bones, resembling the course of

disease in human breast cancer. In contrast with this, breast cancer presented in cats a dramatically short course and

the main but unusual location of metastasis presents in the hind legs. A recent publication in Norway reported on a high frequency (53.3%) of breast carcinomas in 14,401 investigated dogs.

i'm not professional neither in English nor in medicine, while i can see many numbers here, 69, 1320, 14401...along with 32 different references, it is stell have a good probability.

i believe if the issue isn't worthy, those scientists won't bother publishing it. if the issue is only about some easy statistics some trustworthy orgnisation should begin investigating it.

#19 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

...i believe if the issue isn't worthy, those scientists won't bother publishing it. if the issue is only about some easy statistics some trustworthy orgnisation should begin investigating it.

I believe that if a sliver of this was true, you'd have EVERY major cancer researcher and institute looking into this BIG-TIME. Especially given how many dogs are owned in the U.S. alone. People in the U.S. spend 41 BILLION dollars a year on their pets. 77% on their dogs. But there is much more published that states just the opposite.

P.S. Today is my dog Scooters second birthday !!! :thumbsup:

Edited by kellygreen, 23 March 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#20 Padre5

Padre5

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Politics, religion, the Boston Red Sox, my family and wine.
  • Religion: Atheism

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

'ParadiseLost said: "' I am a bit bored of this - people are being nice to you here and answering your questions and just because you get the answer you don't like you start with this type of talk - why should I bother reading through your answers and taking the time to reply and help you with your questions if all you are going to do in every reply to say Islam is a medieval religion etc."
With all due respect, it is clear to me that it is a basic tenant of Islam is that it really IS "a medieval religion!" I have been trying for years to understand why so many Muslims resist the idea that modern study and ideas could not improve the faith. One of my disappointments while visiting here is hearing the same, old tired "party line" from people who are obviously bright, educated and religious, but seem afraid to ever question dogma. Sorry if this comment offends, but I'd still love to hear a hint of good healthy skepticism from somebody here. Note that I have the same desire from Orthodox Jews and Christians. Everybody should want to think for themselves!