Welcome to The Islamic Forum

We are pretty sure you will enjoy your stay with us here

We welcome all people from around the world, regardless of their faith system.

Our discussions cover a wide range of topics.

So, what do you want to discuss today?

Photo

Lucid Dreaming & Astral Projection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lucid Dream

Lucid Dream

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hey guys, I've been wondering this for a while, is Lucid Dreaming halal? and is Astral Projection Halal?

I've searched google for a while, but I didn't find any straight up answers.

Can anyone give me a simple yes or no for these two questions, and with a slight reason?

Is Lucid Dreaming Halal?

Is Astral Projection Halal?

#2 the sad clown

the sad clown

Here for your entertainment

• IF Guardian
  • 3,554 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, linguistics, writing (prose and poetry), reading, various other intellectual flotsam.
  • Religion: Non-religion

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

By lucid dreaming, do you mean being aware of being in a dream and perhaps exercising some conscious control over it?

As for astral projection, that would require an astral body, and I don't believe Islam ascribes astral bodies to humans, so that would seem to preclude astral projection from being consonant with a belief in the tenets of Islam. Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable Muslim members here will be able to address your questions with greater precision and depth.

#3 Wesley

Wesley

• PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • Religion: Other religion

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Here is my interpretation...

When the Seal of the Prophets was receiving Revelation, what was His condition? We know He received Revelation direct from the angel Gabriel, the Holy Spirit. This happened regularly for about 23 years, yet no one else saw or heard Gabriel. There are accounts the Seal of the Prophets would be in such a condition while receiving Revelation, that He seemed to be completely unaware of the world around Him. It seems He was not using his physical eyes or his physical ears, but instead something deeper. Was it like a dream? He was definitely aware that what was happening was not from our physical world, although the Revelation was for the physical world.

There are no actual rulings saying Lucid Dreaming or Astral Projection are possible or impossible, or allowed or prohibited. We are commanded to use our spiritual senses, the other ears and eyes we have but regularly do not use. Perhaps there are possibilities and opportunities God allows us in our exploration of Him and the development of our soul.

#4 Lucid Dream

Lucid Dream

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:34 AM

By lucid dreaming, do you mean being aware of being in a dream and perhaps exercising some conscious control over it?

As for astral projection, that would require an astral body, and I don't believe Islam ascribes astral bodies to humans, so that would seem to preclude astral projection from being consonant with a belief in the tenets of Islam. Hopefully, some of the more knowledgeable Muslim members here will be able to address your questions with greater precision and depth.

By Lucid Dreaming I mean exactly that, being aware of being in a dream.

And astral projection seems to be haram from what I see.

Can any Muslim members please confirm these?

Here is my interpretation...

When the Seal of the Prophets was receiving Revelation, what was His condition? We know He received Revelation direct from the angel Gabriel, the Holy Spirit. This happened regularly for about 23 years, yet no one else saw or heard Gabriel. There are accounts the Seal of the Prophets would be in such a condition while receiving Revelation, that He seemed to be completely unaware of the world around Him. It seems He was not using his physical eyes or his physical ears, but instead something deeper. Was it like a dream? He was definitely aware that what was happening was not from our physical world, although the Revelation was for the physical world.

There are no actual rulings saying Lucid Dreaming or Astral Projection are possible or impossible, or allowed or prohibited. We are commanded to use our spiritual senses, the other ears and eyes we have but regularly do not use. Perhaps there are possibilities and opportunities God allows us in our exploration of Him and the development of our soul.

Alright thanks.

#5 the sad clown

the sad clown

Here for your entertainment

• IF Guardian
  • 3,554 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy, linguistics, writing (prose and poetry), reading, various other intellectual flotsam.
  • Religion: Non-religion

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

By Lucid Dreaming I mean exactly that, being aware of being in a dream.

I don't think Islam says anything on this, so there shouldn't be a problem with it. But as you said, we really do need some of our Muslim members to step in here and give us their perspective.

#6 SafiaEls

SafiaEls

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:... reading instead of relying on heresay is the start of your journey to the truth, thinking its fuel, comprehending the first milestone achieved, acting upon the knowledge granted your test and wisdom its reward ...

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

"And astral projection seems to be haram from what I see"

why is that haram?

astral travelling might even happen without the traveller's intention
sometimes even without the traveller remembering what he has seen and resulting in so called deja-vu's