#2 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

http://www.ft.com/cm...t#axzz1ovaRFg6r

Dozens of civilians were killed in the Syrian city of Homs overnight on Monday, opposition activists and Syrian state media said, in a massacre committed just hours before the UN Security Council renewed its wrangling over the country’s crisis.

Photos of the purported victims posted on the internet showed the badly mutilated and bloodied corpses of men, women and children, part of a killing spree allegedly carried out less than 24 hours after Kofi Annan’s peace mission to Damascus

ended without agreement

I don't know how long this needs to go on for before someone does something...

#3 Yank

Yank

Christian American

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,026 posts
  • Interests:History, debating on forums.
  • Religion: Christianity

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

As long as Assad has powerful allies (Russia, China, Iran) willing to block his removal, this will unfortunately go on.

#4 kellygreen

kellygreen

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Our muslim brothers and sisters don't seem to care too much about what's going on in syria. Not much comment.

#5 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Our muslim brothers and sisters don't seem to care too much about what's going on in syria. Not much comment.

That's not true. Muslims do care. There have been discussions about Syria. Just because there is no comment in this particular thread, it does not mean that people do not care.

#6 Ron Shirt

Ron Shirt

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Religion: Buddhism

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

I was wondering if there is some basic conflict going on here, regarding the upholding of 'law and order'?
Assad says that the insurgents are basically 'armed terrorist gangs'. I personally can see his point of view but very defiantely don't agree with it because of his reputation, clinging on to power and particularly the lack of democratic elections. Although Islam has nothing do do with democracy, as according to what I've learnt here on this forum. Not that Assad appears to represent any particular form of Islam or democracy.
But it's almost interesting regarding the riots in London last year. These could well have been considered by foriegn powers to have indicated that the British system is not popular and should be overthrown. Even to the extent of assisting the 'rioters' with air support! As was done in Libya by the UN backed resolution.

Or perhaps it is simply that people are more aware of their own lack of knowledge about the situations that exist in foreign countries, including myself. It is all too easy to believe what one reads in the newspapers.
Power play is a rather distasteful phenomenon I think, and certainly often far removed from any actual reality taking place, on the ground, as it were. But then again, on a global scale, the 'proof of the pudding is in the eating', I think. Whether one likes it or not.

regards,

ron

#7 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Well I personally have been following the events in Syria closely for quite a while. Seriously, comparing the London riots to Syria is just bogus. Last I checked the British goverment didn't send tanks, soldiers, snipers, cut electricity, etc. to supress the riots. The Syrian goverment shoots at peaceful protesters. There simply is no comparison. (I know you didn't compare them, I am just speaking generally here)

#8 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Or perhaps it is simply that people are more aware of their own lack of knowledge about the situations that exist in foreign countries, including myself. It is all too easy to believe what one reads in the newspapers.

You are right it is hard for outsiders to know the full reality of what is really going on however even if the regime is right that it is 'terrorists' they are going the completely wrong way about it. There is no doubt that innocent civilians are being killed and tortured. No government should be allowed to pull out the 'terrorist' card in order to justify the killings of innocent civilians or to cling onto power.

#9 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

You are right it is hard for outsiders to know the full reality of what is really going on however even if the regime is right that it is 'terrorists' they are going the completely wrong way about it. There is no doubt that innocent civilians are being killed and tortured. No government should be allowed to pull out the 'terrorist' card in order to justify the killings of innocent civilians or to cling onto power.

As-salamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you. I think the reality of the situation in Syria is quite clear, if one has followed the situation closely.

#10 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

As-salamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with you. I think the reality of the situation in Syria is quite clear, if one has followed the situation closely.

Wa alaykum as Salaam
Well yes you are also right...with YouTube videos it is easy to see - I definitely am not saying there is not a humanitarian issue in Syria.

#11 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Wa alaykum as Salaam
Well yes you are also right...with YouTube videos it is easy to see - I definitely am not saying there is not a humanitarian issue in Syria.

As-salamu alaikum

I am also speaking of the bogus claims of terrorists. If a goverment kills peaceful protesters and then people start fighting back, is that a really big suprise? Is it a suprise when your own soldiers start defecting? The Syrian goverment has no credibility. I might add that it is harder for outsiders to know the full reality of what is really going on due to a simple reason: the Syrian goverment does not allow outside reporters to enter the country.

#12 Ron Shirt

Ron Shirt

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Well I personally have been following the events in Syria closely for quite a while. Seriously, comparing the London riots to Syria is just bogus. Last I checked the British goverment didn't send tanks, soldiers, snipers, cut electricity, etc. to supress the riots. The Syrian goverment shoots at peaceful protesters. There simply is no comparison. (I know you didn't compare them, I am just speaking generally here)

Don't get me wrong here. I was speaking purely as a distant observer and also with regard to the principles of law and order which, surely you would agree, any state must have to take into consideration, as any government who is supposed to be in charge of runnung a country would be.
I 'm just wondering how you have been following the events in Syria? I mean I probably believe what you believe (and can see from video footage taken on the ground) But I don't KNOW anything much for sure because, like Tunisia and Libya any knowledge - so called - I have comes through the media, which, as I have seen can be very one sided.

Salaam,

ron

#13 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

Don't get me wrong here. I was speaking purely as a distant observer and also with regard to the principles of law and order which, surely you would agree, any state must have to take into consideration, as any government who is supposed to be in charge of runnung a country would be.

Definately. But I don't think that sending tanks, soldiers, snipers, cut electricity, etc. to supress peaceful protests is a part of that.

I 'm just wondering how you have been following the events in Syria? I mean I probably believe what you believe (and can see from video footage taken on the ground) But I don't KNOW anything much for sure because, like Tunisia and Libya any knowledge - so called - I have comes through the media, which, as I have seen can be very one sided.

You must look at the evidence as a whole to come to a conclusion.

#14 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

As-salamu alaikum

I am also speaking of the bogus claims of terrorists. If a goverment kills peaceful protesters and then people start fighting back, is that a really big suprise? Is it a suprise when your own soldiers start defecting? The Syrian goverment has no credibility. I might add that it is harder for outsiders to know the full reality of what is really going on due to a simple reason: the Syrian goverment does not allow outside reporters to enter the country.

Wa alaykum as Salaam
I also do not believe that it is an issue of terrorism. In my country protesting against the oppressive nature of a government would not qualify as terrorism but in the eyes of Asaad it obviously is and even since there is no internationally agreed definition on the word it is easy for Asaad to put anyone into that category who opposes him... Of course I don't agree with this view of Asaad and any claim he makes wouldn't justify the things we have seen such as children being killed.. What I was agreeing with Ron was that yes we cannot always know what is really going on inside a country we do not live in - we only have the media to rely on, but yes I definitely do not agree with the terrorism claims also.

#15 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

As-salamu 'alaikum

Obviously we cannot always know what goes on in a country, or all that goes on. However, certain evidence is too compelling to ignore. However, I don't think your stance and Ron's is the same. He says "I don't KNOW anything much for sure". I am confident that a lot of things can be known for sure. Plus this not just the media. We are talking of human right groups, youtube-footage, the UN, other nations such as Turkey who were previous allies of the Syrian goverment before this mess, thousands of refugees, thousands of defectors etc.

Besides, the media is not that one-sided. For example, I have read the BBC-site and it has provided great analysis on the situation, not one-sided. A lot of news sites have not provided one-sided views. In fact, I think a lot of the reporters who have went into Syria are quite brave and they want to document what is going on. The only way I would say that there is a problem with the media is if it lied.

#16 Ron Shirt

Ron Shirt

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

As-salamu 'alaikum

Obviously we cannot always know what goes on in a country, or all that goes on. However, certain evidence is too compelling to ignore. However, I don't think your stance and Ron's is the same. He says "I don't KNOW anything much for sure". I am confident that a lot of things can be known for sure. Plus this not just the media. We are talking of human right groups, youtube-footage, the UN, other nations such as Turkey who were previous allies of the Syrian goverment before this mess, thousands of refugees, thousands of defectors etc.

Besides, the media is not that one-sided. For example, I have read the BBC-site and it has provided great analysis on the situation, not one-sided. A lot of news sites have not provided one-sided views. In fact, I think a lot of the reporters who have went into Syria are quite brave and they want to document what is going on. The only way I would say that there is a problem with the media is if it lied.

Yes, but we are looking at a situation we do not truely understand, are we not? I tend to believe in the BBC analysis, but that doesn't make it true or absolute knowledge. Confidence is not actually 'certainty'.

I am actually quite surprised that somebody such as yourself has such faith in 'Western Media' anyway, given your expressed beliefs in the past. Presumably, now you have a great faith in 'Democracy' in spite of this being debunked by your fellow 'brothers and sisters' and yourself, in favour of the respectibility of minorities taking over countries in the name of Islam.

ron

#17 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

I think the main thing is we all agree that the Syrian regime is bad :)

#18 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Russia, a staunch ally of President Bashar al-Assad, which raised earlier reservations over the draft, backed the vote for the first ever resolution on Syria since the uprising against Assad broke out 13 months ago.

UN Resolution 2042 approved sending the first 30 unarmed military monitors, who are expected to leave within days.

http://www.rte.ie/ne...ia-mission.html

#19 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

The military monitors have now arrived at Syria..

#20 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

Syrian troops pushed a campaign to crush anti-regime opponents Thursday, activists said as France held out the threat of military action to halt the bloodshed that has persisted despite a ceasefire.

Two weeks into the truce, at least two people were killed in the town of Maree, near the northern city of Aleppo, and one man died in the village of Mohsen, northeastern Deir Ezzor province, said the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Loud blasts and heavy gunfire were reported in Harasta, a suburb of Damascus, said the Britain-based watchdog, adding that regime troops carried out raids between Harasta and Barzeh, a district of the capital.

Source: http://www.google.co...bb079b023cf8.91