• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

What is Islamic view on bipolar disorder? The drugs used to treat this have an effect on mental capacity and alter the mind but without it is very hard to stay in control. Mood swings, hyperactivity, depression, suicidal thoughts, taking risks that one would normally avoid.
But with them there is still depression, tiredness, complete lack of motivation and a massive loss of cognitive function.
What is the Islamic view on this disorder and the medications used to treat it?

#2 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:30 PM

Someone on this forum has to know something about mental health in Islam...

#3 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

You should really try get in contact with a Muslim doctor. I don't think anyone here is medically qualified to give such advice. Alternatively there is a fatwa section on the forum where you can post your question and brother dot will pass it on and you should get an answer after a few days.

The following is not about bipolar but about taking medication for mental health in general http://islamqa.info/...ef/69766/mental

However, I think as Islam is a religion about balance you must remember that it is important for you to focus on your mental health but also on your spiritual and physical well being also. By disregarding our spiritual or physical well being can also cause us problems.

#4 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

i dont believe there are any muslim doctors in my area... i have actually had doctors tell me to stay away from muslims and the religion of Islam as apparently its a brainwashing cult.

#5 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

i dont believe there are any muslim doctors in my area... i have actually had doctors tell me to stay away from muslims and the religion of Islam as apparently its a brainwashing cult.

Well firstly you should use the internet to be sure there are no Muslim doctors in your area or least an area nearby. Many doctors surgeries put their contact information online. If this fails then search for a Muslim doctor anywhere and email them - tell them about the situation you are in.

#6 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:39 PM

i have tried but i cannot afford to travel to see a doctor and i am limited to those that accept my health care

#7 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

but i will try emailing... and anyway thank you