7 replies to this topic

#1 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

assalamu alaikum everyone.

I dont remember the day or the month i just remember that it was 2006 and i was 16 years old.
I had a muslim friend who i always debated religion with even though i wasnt really religious i believed in a god and used to pray at night but i always seemed to feel alone, suffered from severe depression and was generally quite spiteful towards the idea that there was a god that did nothing. Anyway skipping ahead a few years and many debates i realised that Islam seemed to appeal to me, no trying to understand why god needed a son, why he would kill his son for that matter, and just the general flaws i found in christianity and the idea of a holy trinity while debating with my friend against Islam. in 2006 i Reverted once i had weeded out my major problems with it, a few weeks later i told my parents and grandparents most of whom were disgusted. I was going well no drinking etc starting pray reading the koran. then bam i let the pressure of the people around me take over and i went back to normal depressing life, and did what my parents and friends wanted... met a girl, went to uni, blah blah blah. although i kept an active interest in Islam. later i was in a car accident which i felt the effects of for months after, and soon after my relationship with the girl ended and i was back to square 1. i deferred university, moved to the city and started attending Masjids and Islamic bookshops looking for information. When i returned back to university i met with another problem my bipolar disorder which had been troubling me undiagnosed since a young age. eventually i wore myself out emotionally, physically(days without sleep), finacially (people taking advantage and splurges), the mixture of my social awkwardness and general confusion separated me from my friends and family and I drifted between jobs and addresses trying to find a safe place, meanwhile returning to the emptiness of western life, parties drinking etc.
eventually I found Islam again this time lasting a bit longer, and managed to get my act together enough to be accepted into medical science at university, then financial issues came up(people owing me money) and i had to refuse my offer and take up work.
so i moved to a different city this time, was lucky enough to meet a doctor and finally had myself diagnosed and medicated(at a loss of witt lol) I had met a nice muslim girl who had said she would take me to her Masjid and long story short we ended up engaged. Then unfortunately i discovered that she was dishonest and called off the engagement . its been a while now but i am getting back on my feet and i am back at university and doing well (so far) i cannot remember much and i have alot of trouble learning in school /prayer etc while on these medications. still have trouble sleeping always tired but Allah gives me hope that things can always improve if you have faith. I have come along way from a suicidal teen and along the way there have been many bumps in the road but 6 years later i am still here and its because Allah never gives up on you as long as there is a seed of faith within you.

Allah is the most just, most merciful and most forgiving.

#2 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

wa alykom alsalam wa rahmat Allah, brother

gazak Allah khayer, for sharing your story, may Allah comlete his favor upon you and all the good people. Amen

hope you will enjoy and enrich the forum for the sake of Allah.

#3 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Wa alaykum As Salaam

Thanks for sharing your story. As a revert I always like to hear how people also came to the same decision I did and there always seems to be similarities even though there are differences in the journeys we take.

I do not know much about bipolar disease in relation to Islam but actually right now one of the topics I am researching is Islam and mental health so inshAllah if I have any beneficial resources I will let you know.

In relation to your past, everyone makes mistakes but the most important thing is to recognise them and try to change our lives as Allah says in the quran He will not change the condition of a people until they change themselves (13:11). And really in life it is only us who hold ourselves back from progressing in our journey of faith because Allah is always there and always will be, we just need to recognise this. And you are right that Allah is Most Merciful:

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) say:[indent=1]
"Allah the Almighty said:
'O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.'"

(Hadith Qudsi No.34)

InshAllah you will learn more about Islam from this forum and that we can help you with any issues.

#4 worshipper

worshipper

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

wa alaikumas salam , thanks for sharing your story , may Allah guide us and keep us on the straight path , ameen ..

#5 Nile_Salafy

Nile_Salafy

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

We alikum esalam

That's another great story to read brother. Jazak allah khair for sharing and insha allah you will be strong in imam and carry on your life :)

#6 SeekFreedom

SeekFreedom

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:21 PM

thank you everyone for your kind words.

#7 dot

dot

[email protected]

• Administration
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Assalamo alaikum

Allah never gives up on you as long as there is a seed of faith within you.

Allah is the most just, most merciful and most forgiving.

Indeed brother. This is one of the most beautiful phrases I've read.. Allah never gives up on you as long as there is a seed of faith within you.

I'll remember you in my prayers. May Allah The Merciful cure you fully, send good people your way, grant you happiness in both worlds, and keep you in the straight path. Amen.

#8 ismailatifk

ismailatifk

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Assalamo alaikum

Indeed brother. This is one of the most beautiful phrases I've read.. Allah never gives up on you as long as there is a seed of faith within you.

I'll remember you in my prayers. May Allah The Merciful cure you fully, send good people your way, grant you happiness in both worlds, and keep you in the straight path. Amen.

administrator of this forum dot, brother, i need a help from u, i hav posted in the reply section of the "need advice" inside the Islamic forum, can u plz delete my post in that, it wud be very helpful, since i am a new member, i cant contact u directly, so plz