10 replies to this topic

#1 TonyJ

TonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Religion: Atheism

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have heard this quote of Muhammad a few times recently:

"Beware of extremism, for indeed the only thing that has destroyed those who came before you is extremism."

But I have not found anyone actually quoting where precisely it comes from, i.e. Koran, hadith, line number...

Does naybody know where it comes from?

#2 WeAreComming

WeAreComming

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I copy pasted that, and googled at madeenah [dot] com /article.cfm?id=1261 they explain it much further

#3 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

It was narrated that Abu Al-Aliyah said:
"Ibn Abbas said: "On the morning of Al-Aqabah, while he was on his mount, the Messenger of Allah said to me: "Pick up (some pebbles) for me." So I picked up some pebbles for him that were the size of date stones or fingertips, and when I placed them in his hand he said: "Like these. And beware of going to extremes in religious matters, for those who came before you were destroyed because of going to extremes in religious matters." (Sahih)

أَخْبَرَنَا يَعْقُوبُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ الدَّوْرَقِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ عُلَيَّةَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا عَوْفٌ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا زِيَادُ بْنُ حُصَيْنٍ، عَنْ أَبِي الْعَالِيَةِ، قَالَ قَالَ ابْنُ عَبَّاسٍ قَالَ لِي رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم غَدَاةَ الْعَقَبَةِ وَهُوَ عَلَى رَاحِلَتِهِ ‏"‏ هَاتِ الْقُطْ لِي ‏"‏ ‏.‏ فَلَقَطْتُ لَهُ حَصَيَاتٍ هُنَّ حَصَى الْخَذْفِ فَلَمَّا وَضَعْتُهُنَّ فِي يَدِهِ قَالَ بِأَمْثَالِ هَؤُلاَءِ ‏"‏ وَإِيَّاكُمْ وَالْغُلُوَّ فِي الدِّينِ فَإِنَّمَا أَهْلَكَ مَنْ كَانَ قَبْلَكُمُ الْغُلُوُّ فِي الدِّينِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Source: Sunan An Nasai Book 24 Hadith 3070

#4 Israa`eel

Israa`eel

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Just like to add, 'extremism' defined by Islaam is not the same as 'extremism' defined by the west [or anyone else].

#5 Scotia

Scotia

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Just like to add, 'extremism' defined by Islaam is not the same as 'extremism' defined by the west [or anyone else].

How would you define extremism then?

#6 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

I posted a thing a while ago about moderation etc summing up points from an article I read by Aisha Lemu..she talks a bit about extremism too and how its about a person remoting him/herself from their religion in thought and behaviour and she lists some points which I put in the post if you want to read it..
http://www.gawaher.c...e-is-important/

#7 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

alsalamo alykom,
sister, ParadiseLost, congatulations for the new postion,

i hope Allah will enforce your eman and knowladge and allow you to best use of them for his sake, amen

#8 Israa`eel

Israa`eel

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

How would you define extremism then?

I dont know the comprehensive definition, maybe someone else can give you that.

But one type of extremism [Ghuloo` in Arabic] the Prophet [pbuh] was referring to was how the Christians went to extreme in relation to Jesus [pbuh]. Although loving and elevating Jesus was, and still is, a religious duty, the Christians elevated him on the same level of God - that was their extremism.

Just for the record, how would you define an 'Extremist'?

#9 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

Also for the original poster TonyJ although I posted the one you were referring too...you may also be interested in the following hadith..

Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights."

Source: Sahih Bukhari Book 2 No 38

#10 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

alsalam-o Alykom wa rahmat Allah

narrated in Al-Bkhry, 3560, and others " NEVER, the prophet of Allah (pbuh) been asked to chose among two issues BUT he chose the easier (more comfortable for the one who ask), unless it's a sin. while when it's a sin he is the most far man from it. and NEVER, the prophet of Allah (pbuh) made revenge for himself, when a law of Allah being broken, he make revenge for Allah"

* it's my poor translation

3560 - حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ يُوسُفَ أَخْبَرَنَا مَالِكٌ عَنْ ابْنِ شِهَابٍ عَنْ عُرْوَةَ بْنِ الزُّبَيْرِ عَنْ عَائِشَةَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهَا أَنَّهَا قَالَتْ مَا خُيِّرَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ بَيْنَ أَمْرَيْنِ إِلَّا أَخَذَ أَيْسَرَهُمَا مَا لَمْ يَكُنْ إِثْمًا فَإِنْ كَانَ إِثْمًا كَانَ أَبْعَدَ النَّاسِ مِنْهُ وَمَا انْتَقَمَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ لِنَفْسِهِ إِلَّا أَنْ تُنْتَهَكَ حُرْمَةُ اللَّهِ فَيَنْتَقِمَ لِلَّهِ بِهَا

#11 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

alsalamo-Alykom wa Rahmat Allah

narrated in Al-Bkhry, 5063, and others:
"Three groups of people came to the homes of wives of the Prophet, peace and blessing of Allah be upon him, asking about the way (how frequent/kinds) that the Prophet (pbuh) worship Allah. when they been told about it, as if they saw it not big enough. they said, Where are we from the Prophet of Allah (pbuh), Allah has forgiven his past and future sins. said one of them I will pray all night and never sleep, said another I will fast all my life and never stop fasting, and another said, I keep away from women and never get married. (When the prophet (pbuh) knew about that) the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) came to them and said: are you the ones who said such and such!! I've the most fear and Taquah (pious) of Allah among you, but I fast and break my fast and I pray and I sleep and I marry women, who turns away from my Sunnah is not of me"

5063 - حَدَّثَنَا سَعِيدُ بْنُ أَبِي مَرْيَمَ أَخْبَرَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ جَعْفَرٍ أَخْبَرَنَا حُمَيْدُ بْنُ أَبِي حُمَيْدٍ الطَّوِيلُ أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ أَنَسَ بْنَ مَالِكٍ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُ يَقُولُ جَاءَ ثَلَاثَةُ رَهْطٍ إِلَى بُيُوتِ أَزْوَاجِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ يَسْأَلُونَ عَنْ عِبَادَةِ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ فَلَمَّا أُخْبِرُوا كَأَنَّهُمْ تَقَالُّوهَا فَقَالُوا وَأَيْنَ نَحْنُ مِنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ قَدْ غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِهِ وَمَا تَأَخَّرَ قَالَ أَحَدُهُمْ أَمَّا أَنَا فَإِنِّي أُصَلِّي اللَّيْلَ أَبَدًا وَقَالَ آخَرُ أَنَا أَصُومُ الدَّهْرَ وَلَا أُفْطِرُ وَقَالَ آخَرُ أَنَا أَعْتَزِلُ النِّسَاءَ فَلَا أَتَزَوَّجُ أَبَدًا فَجَاءَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ إِلَيْهِمْ فَقَالَ أَنْتُمْ الَّذِينَ قُلْتُمْ كَذَا وَكَذَا أَمَا وَاللَّهِ إِنِّي لَأَخْشَاكُمْ لِلَّهِ وَأَتْقَاكُمْ لَهُ لَكِنِّي أَصُومُ وَأُفْطِرُ وَأُصَلِّي وَأَرْقُدُ وَأَتَزَوَّجُ النِّسَاءَ فَمَنْ رَغِبَ عَنْ سُنَّتِي فَلَيْسَ مِنِّي

That hadeeth fights a kind of extremism in the worshipping mannar (mostly it's beyond any human capabilities) some thing that if the human endure, for a short period of time he won't endure the longer. And in both cases it will negatively affect his health, family and society. and sho that, the prophet way of worshipping is the ultimate ideal example, we should target , no more and no less, as possible.

Allah has obligated us (17 Raka'a, Fardh, a day/night), and the prophet highly recommended us (10 Sunnah Raka'a) we can call them as a safety margin. now who tries his best to follow the prophet will be as save and fulfilling Allah's orders as possible. If you trained your self to do 17 + 10 a day/night, whenever you have some emergencies, busy, laziness,…you may lose 2 -4-6 sunnah raka'a, while will be so difficult to lose the Fardh. For example if you are studying and targeting the 100% if you loose some you will reach 95% or 90% still excellent, while On the contrary if you are targeting the 50% if you missed for a reason or another you will get to the dangerous area. Another example, if you are athletic person and you plays the 5000 meters, you may train, in some cases, to the 15,000: 20,000 then you will see the 5000 is so easy.

Allah knows best