• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TonyJ

TonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Religion: Atheism

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have often heard Muslims say that the Koran in the original Arabic is so beautiful that it has to come from God.

What is the most beautiful verse or set of verses in the Koran in the original Arabic? And where can I get a good audio version of them online?

#2 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,247 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I find recitation of Alafasy very beautiful.

Link: (Without translation) http://www.mp3quran....fs_english.html

http://quranicaudio.com/quran/5

Link: (With translation) http://quranicaudio.com/quran/58

#3 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,247 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Out of Alafasy's recitation I mostly listen to Surah-1,31,36, 78, 89,
http://www.mp3quran....fs_english.html

An Alafasy Surah video of Al Mulk (67) is also very nice:

Edited by Saracen21stC, 23 April 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#4 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Recitation of Surah Ar Rahman (55) by Syed Sadaqat Ali is also beautiful.

In HD

#5 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,769 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Chapter: Al-Fajr (the dawn), recited by a young girl..

#6 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have often heard Muslims say that the Koran in the original Arabic is so beautiful that it has to come from God.

What is the most beautiful verse or set of verses in the Koran in the original Arabic? And where can I get a good audio version of them online?

I am sure it is very subjective which verses each Muslim believe to be beautiful because some verses touch us in different ways or we may relate to some more...however for me it would be surah al ikhlas which is just 4 verses yet really sums up the core message that is repeated throughout the quran which is to believe in One God..The prophet also told us that this chapter is equal to one third of the quran
Say He is Allah One and Only, The Eternal, The Absolute, He beggeteth not, nor is he begotten, and there is none like unto Him.

I personally just find it amazing how the verses rhyme yet in any other language as you can see above in english there is no rhyming, yet the meaning is still so deep.

Qul huwa Allah ahadun
Allahu alsammadu
Lam yalid walam yuladu
Walaam yakun lahu kufawan ahadun

As for where you can get a good audio recitation of the quran well there are many websites but I personally use a mixture of these..I prefer the first though because you have a lot of options of which verse you want to listen to incase you don't want to listen to the whole surah.
http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/
http://quran.com/

#7 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

More heart melting recitations from Syed Sadaqat Ali (May allah bless him)

A tip of mine is that listen to Surahs when the surrounding around you is silent. I mean there is no other sound to interrupt you.

Edited by Saracen21stC, 23 April 2012 - 07:34 PM.

#8 TonyJ

TonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks to both of you for posting such heartfelt responses. I watched and listened to most of them. I found them to be interesting as I had never really heard the Koran sung like that in the original Arabic, I have only read it in English.

Like all music, poetry, and even comedy in another language. To really appreciate it you need to not just understand the language fluently, but you also need to have been submerged within the culture for at least 5 years or so. I think this is also the case with this, if had lived in an Arab country for 5-10 years then probably I would begin to see the beauty of the recitations as well. But I do not even speak Arabic.

In terms of the content, some of the Koran is OK, but the Surah 67 that Saracen21stC linked to, when it starts talking about how the unbelievers will burn in hell for eternity (67.9 - 67.11). I find that stuff to be extremly childish and vulgar. Sounds like it comes from the mind of an angry little boy.

Edited by TonyJ, 26 April 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#9 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:02 AM

In terms of the content, some of the Koran is OK, but the Surah 67 that Saracen21stC linked to, when it starts talking about how the unbelievers will burn in hell for eternity (67.9 - 67.11). I find that stuff to be extremly childish and vulgar. Sounds like it comes from the mind of an angry little boy.

Even after receiving the message (of Islam) if someone does not believe, they will be punished. I think it's very fair because Allah only punishes someone after the clear message is put forward to them. It is the worst hypocrisy to live in this earth but propose some other theory to ignore God. Allah may forgive other sins, but will not forgive Shirk and disbelief in God.

#10 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

The Prophet (pbuh) once asked one his Companions, Ubay ibn K'ab (ra), which is the greatest verse in the Qur'an. Ubay (ra) replied, "God and His Messenger know best". The Prophet (pbuh) asked him to take a guess. Ubay (ra) then said that the greatest verse is Ayat-ul-Kursi. The Prophet (pbuh) told him that he was correct.

#11 Ron Shirt

Ron Shirt

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  • Religion: Buddhism

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:53 PM

Even after receiving the message (of Islam) if someone does not believe, they will be punished. I think it's very fair because Allah only punishes someone after the clear message is put forward to them. It is the worst hypocrisy to live in this earth but propose some other theory to ignore God. Allah may forgive other sins, but will not forgive Shirk and disbelief in God.

And how will Allah punish them I wonder? Through the hand of man?

regards,

ron

#12 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Like all music, poetry, and even comedy in another language. To really appreciate it you need to not just understand the language fluently, but you also need to have been submerged within the culture for at least 5 years or so. I think this is also the case with this, if had lived in an Arab country for 5-10 years then probably I would begin to see the beauty of the recitations as well. But I do not even speak Arabic.

There are main three flows in the Quran, the words flow, the ideas flow and the rhythm flow that all of them have coincidence and coherence to transfer the meanings by exciting the feelings, convincing the minds and to enjoy the hearings at the same time.
If you heard the Arabic Quran and red the English translation you will have a good deal of the benefits, inshaa Allah.

But, it is a "serious/strong threatening/warning made by generous and powerful god to a weak, arrogant and blind servant to save him and his society"

I believe all of us will smoothly accept the next concepts:

1- "crime and punishment"
If you being late for your job!! You will be punished. That's seems intelligent concept not childesh!!
If you repeated that you will be fired. Fired for being late a couple of minutes is applicable and good idea as well.

for the one who will make fun of that, he will be the only loser!!
And finally appling that concept will be for the sake of the person and the whole society, isn't right?!?

2- "The increasing manner of the punishment according the crime nature and the authority Appling the law"
It's applicable every where, while it's more clear in the army regulations:

Crime: To be late for the formation

authority -------- punishment
E5 sergeant -------- 3 extra duties
E6 sergeant ------- 5 extra duties
------ -----
Lt ------- 10 extra duties and/or 3 days in jail

Major General ------- 100 extra duties and/or 30 days in jail and/or firing from service.

What could be the punishment of "sleeping in duty in war time?!!"
What could be denying the leader obedience right in war time/field?!"

3- "Denying the obedience rights of your superior/boss is a big crime"

If you are doing excellent in your job, but you say to your boss: "I don't have to obey you!!"
Or " you are not worthy to be followed/obeyed!!!" " you are not intelligent enough to be here!!!"

I believe mostly you will be fired

4- "Good person have to be thankful for those who do him a favor"
If some one light your cigarette up for you, you will say to him "thank you" if you didn't then you are not a civilized person.
What if you lost your sight, you can't see any more, what will be your feelings!!! one and the only one famous physician cured you and here you can see again….how can you see this man??
What about kidney, heart, hearing, lever ……problems, how much will you pay to have a new one???
How much will you pay if you are losing your soul/spirit/life, to get it back?

Believe or not 1000s and 1000s of Allah's favors are inside you only, and all of them are free gift from the one creator to you. What can you do to thank him??

5- "Punishments and/or promotions are the most important motives of human"

No doubt, it varies from a person to another but still both are applicable, and no doubt as well that there are persons who wouldn't be under control without punishment.

even in the jail punishment you will find some extra punishments, constraining from TV, …and isolated solely in a tight dark room.

for a sane person who have a self desipline and normally motivated by promotions, to stop critisizing the other method because it works will with some others.

let's assume the case of removing the punishment or threatening of punishment from the dictionary and see what the society will be?! oweful

if you summed all of the above up you will find that, every thing is just logic and reasonable and denying it is the only childesh mistake, man ever made.

* if any of the brothers/sisters can comprehend this into more understandable form, i'll appreciate that to him.

#13 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

And how will Allah punish them I wonder? Through the hand of man?

regards,

ron

hmmm, automatic, self sustained, self operated, self tunning punishment, ....be sure Allah is capable " when he, almighty wishes some thing, he just tells "be" and it is"

the Japaneese built the first fully automated car's factory in the 80s, where there is not a single man, it's easy

#14 Ron Shirt

Ron Shirt

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

hmmm, automatic, self sustained, self operated, self tunning punishment, ....be sure Allah is capable " when he, almighty wishes some thing, he just tells "be" and it is"

the Japaneese built the first fully automated car's factory in the 80s, where there is not a single man, it's easy

I take that means no then, or wait a minute yes?
Now I've got it, it could be either! Unfortunately men are acapable of believing almost anything it seems ..

regards,

ron

#15 dot

dot

e-SL@vE

• Administration
  • 16,769 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Unfortunately men are acapable of believing almost anything it seems ..

Dear Ron
Out of all non-believers, the older of them astonish me the most. Young non-believers could possibly have many years of chances to find the truth, correct their lives and find the right path. But old people like you and me have definitely less chances, and the time to stand before our creator comes nearer each day. This is not a wise time to make fun of our fate. Time is ticking, and it will be up one day, or night. Once we die, there is no way we can do anything about this..

Think man, think..

(I wish you a healthy long happy life)

#16 Ron Shirt

Ron Shirt

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Dear Ron
Out of all non-believers, the older of them astonish me the most. Young non-believers could possibly have many years of chances to find the truth, correct their lives and find the right path. But old people like you and me have definitely less chances, and the time to stand before our creator comes nearer each day. This is not a wise time to make fun of our fate. Time is ticking, and it will be up one day, or night. Once we die, there is no way we can do anything about this..

Think man, think..

(I wish you a healthy long happy life)

I'm not making fun of anyone or anything. What never ceases to amaze me is not only man's capability for self delusion but Muslim's (and other's) self certainty and self righteousness. Not any person nor any religion has all the answers. There will always be the unknown and it's the unknown which interests me.

Regards,

ron

#17 TonyJ

TonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Does the Koran in Arabic rhyme like poetry?

If so, what is in your opinions, the best one or two lines from the Koran that have both a beautiful rhythm / rhyming and a beautiful meaning?

#18 TonyJ

TonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

surah al ikhlas which is just 4 verses yet really sums up the core message that is repeated throughout the quran which is to believe in One God..The prophet also told us that this chapter is equal to one third of the quran
Say He is Allah One and Only, The Eternal, The Absolute, He beggeteth not, nor is he begotten, and there is none like unto Him.

Interesting choice. I actually don't find it very poetic, it does appear to sort of rhyme but in an akward rather than flowing way. The "ahad" sound at the end appears to be just added in without really flowing all the way along.

But that maybe because I have been raised listening to western poetry and music which tends to have a totally different sort of rhyming style.

And as far as the message, well, it is not a Universal message as it is clearly intended specifically for the Christians:

"He beggeteth not, nor is he begotten, and there is none like unto Him."

I.e Jesus is not the son of God.

If you were to take this message to the Mayans, or the Chinese, it would not have any meaning because they do not have any sense in their traditions that a supreme God ever begot a son on Earth.

I was more looking for a specific couple of lines that rhyme beautifully in Arabic, are really moving, and have a universal message for all peoples rather than a particular sect.

#19 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

Well the question you asked is very subjective so peoples answers may not be what you agree with. However as for the actual meaning of the verses of surah al ikhlas I think you have really skipped over them and not looked at them well enough because you believe that is only intended for Christians when the whole chapter deals with the uniqueness of Allah something all people need to learn. It makes it clear that there is nothing in this world like Allah so for all the people who worship things and people in this life this verse deals with that. It deals with the oneness of Allah and how He is the Eternal and the Absolute. It also makes it clear that this is not a new being that is being introduced because he is the One and Only who has always existed and is the only one who deserves worship.

For me it is a rhymes and has a deep meaning with a universal message but anyway others have provided you with alternatives too.

#20 TonyJ

TonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Yeah well I need something short and powerful.

My Arabic is not good enough at this stage to try to read and understand a long Surah.

Anyway the part that says ""He beggeteth not, nor is he begotten" is definately a message to the Christians, as are many other parts of the Koran specific messages to a specific people at a specific time. I am looking for something more universal.