Photo
- - - - -

[Contest] Name The Longest And Shortest Verses In The Qur'an

Contest Longest and Shortest Verses Shortest Verses Longest Verses Shortest Verse Longest Verse

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

:sl:

Name the Longest and Shortest Verses in the Qur'an

-----------

#2 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

As-salamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh

The verse in Surat-ul-Baqara which talks about writing down the contract when one takes a debt. I would say that the shortest verses are the ones with two letters like Ta-Ha, Ya-Sin and Ha-Mim. I would say Ta-Ha is the shortest since prouncing it takes the least amount of time, lol. I can't think of a verse with one letter. I thought of the letters Qaf and Nun but they are apart of verses, which contain an oath.

#3 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

As-salamu alaikum wa rahmat-o Allah,

i agree with brother Younos, the longest verse is "a'iat al-dayen, dept verse" in surat Al-Baqarah [2:282], while the shortest either Ta-Ha [20:1] , or ya-seen [36:1], or haa-meem [40-46:1]

#4 AhmedTi

AhmedTi

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

I agree for the first part of the answer. However, I have to disagree for the second part as the shortest verse in the Koran is ( Mudhammatan -مدهامتان ) Surah 55-64

What you did stated about are letter which no one know their meaning except Allah.

#5 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

:sl:

That was a very good contest. When I asked the question, I had this answer in my mind:

Spoiler

Mudhammatan مدهامتان is a word with more than two letters. That's why I believe that the verses with only two letters are the shortest verses. But Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala) knows the best.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest, Longest and Shortest Verses, Shortest Verses, Longest Verses, Shortest Verse, Longest Verse