11 replies to this topic

#1 AmeerNajib

AmeerNajib

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

Assalamu Alaikum

I just recently reverted to Islam, after a year and a few months of researching, thinking, and taking time to actually understand the religion in general. I was a Christian, I was not born into Christianity but I did "accept" it while I was living with my father for a while. I felt like I understood and enjoyed being a Christian but at one point, I knew i had to find something else that suited me. I researched Buddhism, Judaism, and even Hinduism. I wasn't pleased with any of them. Then I came across a program that aired on Nat Geo that documented muslims going to Makkah for the first time. It amazed me simply becuase it showed how much muslims in general respected Islam, compared to many other religions I came across (not saying others don't) but Islam just felt right for me. I took some time researching Islam on youtube and numerous other websites and I've learned a lot. The one thing I need to learn most importantly are the prayers, and how they must be done and when. Inshallah I will graciously learn everything within a matter of time. I'm sixteen years old by the way and I'm very glad I came across Islam at this age. I know I still have a lot to learn and I will with time. I already have an English Translated Qu'ran but I believe the original one in Arabic text is definitely the one to read. Although I still haven't learned to read or write in Arabic I hope I do soon.

#2 dot

dot

[email protected]

• Administration
  • 17,158 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Wa alaikum Assalam wa rahmat'Ullahi wa barakatu

Congratulations dear brother. Masha'Allah, you made the perfect decision in a young age, when others 3 and 4 times your age still couldn't find the right path!

My advice to you is to take it easy on yourself. Learn Islam one step at a time.
Leaning Arabic is probably not that urgent at that stage, so its best to delay that goal for a while.
You only need to learn how to say a few verses in Arabic. Those are nessesary for performing daily prayers, but its very easy to learn them.
Right now, as you said, what's important is to learn how to pray.
I suggest that you start by browsing this easy Quick How-to Guide For New Muslims

I wish you all the best. May Allah Al-Mighty keep you in the right path, and grant you happiness in both worlds, amen.

#3 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

:j:. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Ask question in the related section if you need any help.

#4 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

What a nice story and it is great that you have found Islam early in your life. As brother dot said take it step by step. But it is great that you have aims to learn arabic and more about Islam because faith is a journey. By the way apart from pdf documents teaching you how to pray there are also videos on youtube which make it easier because it is more visible ..also might be a good idea if you can make a journey to the mosque and certainly someone will teach you.

#5 Padre5

Padre5

• PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Politics, religion, the Boston Red Sox, my family and wine.
  • Religion: Atheism

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

WELCOME, young man. You will find lots of good people here, and even a few like me who are not Muslim. I'm an old atheist, but believe it is vital to lead a moral life and have a positive impact on the world and upon those who cross your path. Good Muslims seem to do that, and I hope you do, too!

#6 AmeerNajib

AmeerNajib

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Thank you everyone! I'm glad to of had signed up on this Islamic forum.

#7 ala'adin

ala'adin

• PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

and we are glad to have you here, like everyone else has said feel free to get involved and ask questions. :)

#8 Forall

Forall

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Wa Alaykum Assalam. I'm so much happy to have a new brother. May Allah help you and guide your steps.

#9 Absolute truth

Absolute truth

• IF Guardian
  • 803 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Masha'Allah bro, May Allah help u in your journey- welcome in ur home :)

#10 Nile_Salafy

Nile_Salafy

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

we alikum esalam

Its great to hear your story brother .. may allah keep you strong in faith :) thanks for sharing .. and we all got a lot to learn

#11 Amna4

Amna4

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:39 AM

Mashallah!
Welcome brother :)
I'm a revert as well! I reverted when I was 18. We're glad to have you.

May Allah continue to guide you.

#12 Aa'dil

Aa'dil

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Wa alaykumus salam wa rahmatullah, masha'Allah...... Only sixteen alhamdulillah.

I'm also a revert back to the way of all the Prophets/Messengers (peace unto them all), alhamdulillah.