• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Unity

Unity

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:01 AM

Salaam alaikum. I am a revert to Islam, and to tell you my story I will begin with a little bit of background of events and a bit about myself leading up to my reversion.

I was always a fairly religious and God-fearing person. A kid, who always prayed when faced with adversity and prayed for success, mostly in academics prior to test, "Please God, I'm sorry for everything I've done wrong, please help me ace my science exam."
And it seemed to work, alhamdulillah.

But even as a Christian I saw issues in Christianity. The Bible has some really good stories and life lessons, but is one of the most changed and corrupt pieces of literature in the West, and the Christians are usually by name only, ignoring religious practices mentioned in the Bible or it's rules and teachings. If Jesus taught compassion, forgiveness, and tolerance, then these weren't his people. Speaking of Jesus, I always wondered how you could possibly worship a human being. I knew God, known in Christianity as 'the Father', to be the only thing worthy of worship, not his supposed 'son', which is taken by many to be a metaphor, and by some as a literal son. This whole trinity idea seemed bogus to me. You know who else worshipped a human being? The people of Egypt who worshipped Pharaoh, and look how they were dealt with.

So there I was, 11 years old when the two towers fell. I was in 5th grade and had heard that it was these terrorists called Muslims who had attacked us. Naturally I was both afraid and angry, like many of my peers and millions of other Americans. I wanted to know who these people were and why they attacked us. Some teachers taught that it was because they're jealous of America, and others taught that they hated freedom. I could tell these were all simple-minded explanations intended to foster hate, even if the attacks on civilians cannot in any way be justified it should at least be understood, but I was in the deep South and couldn't really expect an honest look at parts of the world outside of America.

I went on over the next few years I would go on having my head filled with this American definition of Islam in school, and an perspective in the Church intended to say why Christianity is right and Islam isn't, but every faith claims this. By age fourteen I was curious enough and found a few books in the Church on the subjects of different religions, one book titled, "Why So Many Gods?" gave a page by page listing of many different world religions including many Christian sects, a description on their deity, figureheads such as Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, etc., histories, and practices, and then it would go on to explain why that religion was wrong from a Protestant Christian viewpoint. Most of these religions were certainly interesting to read about at the least, but nothing was more intriguing than Islam.

The book didn't appear to have any clear or sufficient reason to suggest Islam was wrong or disproven. Since then I never have found any compelling evidence to suggest this. The books description on Islam was to me fascinating. Pure monotheism, just as I had believed but didn't see in Christianity. Righteous teachings and practices intended to keep individuals and society on the straight path. A final prophet, Muhammad(saaws) in a line of many other prophets and messengers with which I was already familiar, who was given from God a revelation known as the Qur'an, pure and uncorrupted by man. From the moment I saw from this source a description of Islam that wasn't totally ignorant or baseless my interest was sparked.

I went on to find other sources including finding a copy of the Qur'an, speaking online with Muslims, and listening to khutbahs and lectures. It didn't take long for me to realize the beauty and truth of Islam, and within a few months I had decided to revert, alone, having never visited a masjid or even seen another Muslim. I took shahadah with Allah as my witness, and would later begin visiting the Islamic Center of Savannah and take shahadah in public. For me, Islam's theology, is the driving force behind my choice to revert, it's actual teachings about Allah, His prophets(pbut), and His laws.

This was 8 years ago in the Winter of 2004-2005 that I took my shahadah. May Allah accept it and continue to guide me on the path of belief and righteousness.

#2 Unity

Unity

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

I belonged to a Protestant church, Presbyterian to be exact which shares the concept of pre-destination coinciding with free-will, however due to my private rejection of the trinity I could not identify with any particular sect at that time.

#3 dot

dot

[email protected]

• Administration
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

:sl:

Allahu Akbar, masha'Allah a fascinating story brother. Subhan Allah, you brother represent another clear example that we were all born Muslims (submitted to the one who created us). Its a natural instinct. That is why people with clear minds like yourself find it hard to worship a human being, and easy to see the truth in Islam, being the only un-corrupted divine message today.

I love you for the sake of Allah brother. May Allah Al-Mighty keep you in the straight path, and bless you with eternal happiness.

#4 muzur

muzur

*happy*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts
  • Interests:Sufism, books, publishing, traveling, ice-skating, knowing new people, smiling

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:23 AM

Salam Alaykum,

Mashallah brother, your story was inspiring. Alhamdulillah Allah made you see the truth, and you strived for it. Thanks for your sharing!

#5 adam27

adam27

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

"Whoever works righteousness - whether male or female - while he (or she) is a true believer (of Islamic Monotheism) verily, to him We will give a good life (in this world with respect, contentment and lawful provision), and We shall pay them certainly a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do (i.e. Paradise in the Hereafter)" - al-Nahl 16:97

#6 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Salaam alaikum. I am a revert to Islam, and to tell you my story I will begin with a little bit of background of events and a bit about myself leading

This was 8 years ago in the Winter of 2004-2005 that I took my shahadah. May Allah accept it and continue to guide me on the path of belief and righteousness.

:wa:

Congratulations brother. Very good story. Pure monotheism is indeed very beautiful. And Ameen to the Du'aa.

#7 Unity

Unity

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

What made you reject the Trinity?

Well John, to answer your question, I never really accepted it. I've always found the OT to be slightly more interesting imo, and I've never seen any reason to worship anything separate from the one God. He never revealed himself to any previous prophet as being a trinity so why should that ever change?
Additionally, in following with the ten commandments, I saw the trinity as being at odds with the first commandment, and often times Christians go against the second commandment with their depictions of Jesus which they worship.

A Christian is free to worship as he chooses, but I simply cannot accept it.

#8 Absolute truth

Absolute truth

• IF Guardian
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:06 PM

The New Catholic Encyclopedia

The formula [one God in three Persons] itself does not reflect the
immediate consciousness of the period of origins; it was the product of
3 centuries of doctrinal development
The formulation ‘one God in
three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully
assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to
the end of the 4th century
. But it is precisely this formulation that
has first claim to the title the Trinitarian dogma. Among the Apostolic
Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a
mentality or perspective

#9 Saracen21stC

Saracen21stC

• IF Moderator
  • 3,259 posts
  • Interests:Studying Islam (and other religions), Learning different languages and cultures, reading (e)books (preferably religious and history books).

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:19 PM

You guys can start discussions related to christianity here in this section: http://www.gawaher.c...stern-dialogue/

Make a new thread.

#10 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:31 PM

wa alaykum as salaam 

great to have you as a brother in islam! I am also a revert. Wow 8 years as a Muslim I bet your life has really changed. I am happy that you have kept your faith for this long and may Allah always guide you, Ameen. 

#11 Unity

Unity

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

Alhamdulillah it has always been a great source of guidance and a way to live my life. Of course I've had my own set backs, and have made huge mistakes in my life since then, but that's for another discussion. Coming to Islam has been the greatest decision I have ever made.

#12 Nightingale

Nightingale

• IF Guardian
  • 676 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Movies, Writing, Learning, Soccer, Traveling

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:58 PM

Wa alaykum assalam,

I am also a revert who was Christian before. In fact, I was a ministry team leader in a Southern Baptist church before coming to the truth last year. I pray that Allah continues to help guide you brother.

#13 Nuzha

Nuzha

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:22 AM

Welcome to Islam bro. :thumbsup:

May Allah guide more people to the right path. Ameen.