Photo
- - - - -

Why I Turned To Islam (Long Rambling Ahead)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Night

Night

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

I think I first started to take a interest in Islam back 2005.  I had just dropped out of university and moved in with my father.  I was curious about the topic of arranged marriages that some of my classmates ended up having.  I was surprised that the process was nothing like what was being said via the western media.  From there I just started reading more and more about the religion.  Plus this wasn't too many years after 9/11 and the topic of muslims was still constantly on the news.

From then until now my life has been consumed by sin.   I finally took a look inward and saw how my environment was shaping all my actions. Everything about this ###### culture was making me physically, mentally, and spiritually ill!

I've been stopped going to church because these so called Christian ministers are just putting on a show in order to get paid.  There are very few churches that are doing the work of the Lord. My community was consumed by crack, out of wedlock pregnancy, ignorance, and poverty and the only thing the church cared about preaching about was tithing and gays.

I honestly felt cheated in life when I learned how in Islam marriage is encouraged and the muslim community actually puts forth an effort to building marriage.  That does not occur in the christian church or in my American family.  We don't encourage marriage.  We tell our young people to "live a little" and use birthcontrol because we know it's almost impossible to make it to 30 and still be a virgin.  If I were to go to my family and ask for help in finding a husband they would laugh in my face.

Casual sex is not frowned upon in society. Ready any women's magazine and they are constantly talking about having a "friend with benefits" and hooking up and one night stands and putting out on the first date.  They never talk about the drama and mental anguish that occurs afterwards.  I've know plenty of women who think that because they have sex with a man that that means he is now their man, and start freaking out when he tells or shows her that is not the case: slashing car tires, busting windows, showing up to his mama house causing a scene in the front yard, fighting his baby mama etc. 

Then everyone around you is drunk and high. At one time I felt like the only dork on the planet because I don't get drunk.  Why is everyone getting wasted?  I'm constantly seeing men loose GOOD PAYING JOBS because they can't pass a urine drug test. 

I feel that because America is such free society people feel that means they can do anything and everything they want too.  And because of this thinking America has turned into Sodom and Gomorrah.  The family unit is core to any society an in America it is slowly deteriorating.  People around me spend more time in the clubs instead of at home with their children. 

I really just felt a calling. I felt that Islam could provide me with a since of peace and order.  That all I want, some order in life!

Edited by Night, 15 August 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#2 ala'adin

ala'adin

• PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:00 AM

May Allah Bestow peace and tranquilty upon you and keep guiding you closer to him

#3 ParadiseLost

ParadiseLost

• IF Guardian
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:05 AM

Welcome to Islam sister. I can understand the frustrations with the culture you talk about it is the same in my country so many young people drink and get drunk. They are really lost inside and I once also felt lost in such a culture because I didn't feel I belonged. But when I found Islam my heart felt different and I finally realised there were other people in the world who don't think alcohol is such a good thing for society etc. May Allah keep you on the straight path. Ameen

#4 Younes

Younes

• IF Guardian
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

As-salamu 'alaikum

Quite an accurate observation of US society and society in general. Anyway, praise be to Allah for guiding you, and may He bless you, protect you from the evil around and help you to create a much needed change in your society.

#5 Wahidian

Wahidian

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

I think I first started to take a interest in Islam back 2005.  I had just dropped out of university and moved in with my father.  I was curious about the topic of arranged marriages that some of my classmates ended up having.  I was surprised that the process was nothing like what was being said via the western media.  From there I just started reading more and more about the religion.  Plus this wasn't too many years after 9/11 and the topic of muslims was still constantly on the news.

From then until now my life has been consumed by sin.   I finally took a look inward and saw how my environment was shaping all my actions. Everything about this ###### culture was making me physically, mentally, and spiritually ill!

I've been stopped going to church because these so called Christian ministers are just putting on a show in order to get paid.  There are very few churches that are doing the work of the Lord. My community was consumed by crack, out of wedlock pregnancy, ignorance, and poverty and the only thing the church cared about preaching about was tithing and gays.

I honestly felt cheated in life when I learned how in Islam marriage is encouraged and the muslim community actually puts forth an effort to building marriage.  That does not occur in the christian church or in my American family.  We don't encourage marriage.  We tell our young people to "live a little" and use birthcontrol because we know it's almost impossible to make it to 30 and still be a virgin.  If I were to go to my family and ask for help in finding a husband they would laugh in my face.

Casual sex is not frowned upon in society. Ready any women's magazine and they are constantly talking about having a "friend with benefits" and hooking up and one night stands and putting out on the first date.  They never talk about the drama and mental anguish that occurs afterwards.  I've know plenty of women who think that because they have sex with a man that that means he is now their man, and start freaking out when he tells or shows her that is not the case: slashing car tires, busting windows, showing up to his mama house causing a scene in the front yard, fighting his baby mama etc. 

Then everyone around you is drunk and high. At one time I felt like the only dork on the planet because I don't get drunk.  Why is everyone getting wasted?  I'm constantly seeing men loose GOOD PAYING JOBS because they can't pass a urine drug test. 

I feel that because America is such free society people feel that means they can do anything and everything they want too.  And because of this thinking America has turned into Sodom and Gomorrah.  The family unit is core to any society an in America it is slowly deteriorating.  People around me spend more time in the clubs instead of at home with their children. 

I really just felt a calling. I felt that Islam could provide me with a since of peace and order.  That all I want, some order in life!

Yes, I would concur with all of this. And I don't really believe that repression is the solution.

Therefore, I think that a free society is the only hope for mankind. If that fails perhaps Allah will think that we weren't really worth it anyway!

Allah will look after His own.

Salaam,

Wahid