• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

as salaam alaiykum,

I am wanting to learn about the different schools of madhab and what they teach so that I might choose one to follow

#2 dot

dot

[email protected]

• Administration
  • 17,185 posts
  • Religion: Islam

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:45 PM

:wa:

Its not recommended to follow any specific madhab brother, because this will limit you to a specific set of rulings, while being just a Muslim allows you more freedom in following what's best from each madhab.

#3 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

I respect your opinion but the brothers here that are educated on Islam tell me it is better and I have to go based on first hand accounts.  My imam for example has a degree in Islamic studies and spent years studying sharia and fiqh.  He advices a madhab as do many of the scholars I have seen online.  I am just trying to figure out how to go about following those.  I do not believe in the salafi mindset that has been engrained in the mindset of many of the Middle Eastern countries.  I am trying to follow the example of the more educated brothers that have spent years studying these issues as they know more than me. 

#4 AHMAD_73

AHMAD_73

Advanced Member

• IF Guardian
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

I respect your opinion but the brothers here that are educated on Islam tell me it is better and I have to go based on first hand accounts.  My imam for example has a degree in Islamic studies and spent years studying sharia and fiqh.  He advices a madhab as do many of the scholars I have seen online.  I am just trying to figure out how to go about following those.  I do not believe in the salafi mindset that has been engrained in the mindset of many of the Middle Eastern countries.  I am trying to follow the example of the more educated brothers that have spent years studying these issues as they know more than me. 

assalamo alykom, brother

what will be your CRITERIA to compare between Madhabs to chose the best (according to your understanding)?

will you see the other Madhabs as lower according to your criteria?

willn't you identify the person who follow a specific Madhab as "he follows Islam according to ..... such ... scholar understanding? 

I believe it will be good to know how the knowlagable Scholars reach this and that, how to compare, choose the proposed benefits, put the periorities, ........the different tools all good Muslems utilized to find out the more right. and use these tools to be sure of the most right among them. some other thing, all these Madhabs are limited to the circumstances and conditions were lived almost 1000 years ago, while many of the concurent life situation is not studied yet.

#5 anisafatima

anisafatima

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

If one asks to a scholar, who strictly follows Quran and Hadith is asked about "different schools of madhab". He will certainly answer that according Holy Quran there is no place of any distinguish that separates Ummah. As Holy prophet described in his last sermon that there is distinguish between Arabic and non-Arabic so it equally applicable in this case also.

#6 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Thank you but no reply on here yet has actually answered the question

#7 Arsalan

Arsalan

Slave of Allah.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts
  • Interests:Islam , Science, Maths.. cricket, trees clouds rain, sparrows, birds.. blah blah blah

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

Every muslim should fall a certain madhab. This is necessary for consistency in application of fiqu rulings rather than a scatter gun approach.

#8 fathi

fathi

• PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Thank you brother.  Although the other brother did bring up a good point that I am worried about.  Which madhab is updated for current times?

#9 Suhaib85

Suhaib85

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thank you brother.  Although the other brother did bring up a good point that I am worried about.  Which madhab is updated for current times?

What should be clarified is the fact that a madhhab is dynamic, not static. It is an ongoing process. A madhhab is the collection of the rulings of qualified scholars from the times of the earliest generations up to the modern days. These qualified scholars use the evidences and weigh them according to the usul or foundations of the specific madhhab, i.e. their rules and methodology in deriving rulings, and this includes weighing them according to contemporary issues which weren't seen or dealt with in the past.

The modernist narrative whereby the madhahib (plural form of madhhab) are static, merely being the opinion of the Imam after which they are named (which couldn't be further from the truth), and indeed "closed the door to ijtihad" until suddenly they were "re-opened" by some self-proclaimed scholars in the 18th and 19th centuries, is patently false. They are a dynamic process and undergo evolution, at least on the subsidiary issues and the various nuances we encounter as Muslims living in a modern, secularist, predominately non-Islamic environment. The fundamentals remain the same however.

And Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala) knows best.

#10 Suhaib85

Suhaib85

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

:wa:

Its not recommended to follow any specific madhab brother, because this will limit you to a specific set of rulings, while being just a Muslim allows you more freedom in following what's best from each madhab.

Are we qualified to "follow what's best" from each madhhab? What are our qualifications to determine the rulings, weigh the evidences, etc.? This is some shaky ground being tread here, because we simply are not mujtahids able to derive rulings directly from the evidences. The ongoing processes known as the four madhhabs are tried and tested, having withstood the test of time. There used to be numerous other schools, but as time went by only these four schools reigned supreme and the giants of Islamic knowledge (including the compilers of the hadith books) restricted themselves to these schools as well....men who were MUCH more knowledgeable than any scholar nowadays, much less we lay people!

The fact of the matter is that the process was already done. The evidences have already been dealt with, examined according to their authenticity and based on the methodology used by the schools. So what behooves us to come forward over 1400 years later and claim we are given some special insight where we have more knowledge and wisdom than these scholars?!

True salvation stands with following one of the schools and restricting oneself to it, while great disunity and confusion has resulted from the growth of this la-madhhabi ideology, which indeed coincided with the historical decline of the Umma.

#11 Zruce Lee

Zruce Lee

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:56 PM

Mazhab Tsalafiyyah is from Mazhab of Al Imam Az Zuhri RA . Thank Thee Very Much .

#12 Z'Ijma

Z'Ijma

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

No, but from Mazhab of Al Nabi SAW and Mazhab of Al Abu Bakar Ash Shiddiiq RA .

#13 dot

dot

[email protected]

• Administration
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

:sl:

IF does not allow discussions of different sects in Islam. This complex issue will require more than ordinary Muslim's knowledge to engage into various theological differences and interpretations of Islam. All Muslims should make Quran and Sunnah their only source of guidance. Therefore, we advise everyone to stay away from all sects. Please read about them in our 'Avoid All Sects and Cults' forum, here:
http://www.gawaher.c...ects-and-cults/