Islamic Forum
guidance

Journalism...

Bismillah..

Asalamou Alaicom wr wb,

hoping that you all are in the best of health and Iman.

we're currently doing media studies, and we've got .. let's say.. a :D major :D english asignment. It's more of a presentation.

we are required to research an aspect of media, and i've chosen journalism.. our teacher says that we have to inform the class thoroughly about our topic, in another words, we're the teacher.

for that reason, it needs quite a lot of research and we only have a week.

searching things like what it is, the history of it, e.g. of journalists, how to become one, different aspects of it etc are all to be covered in samarised form.

To do all that, i for sure need the help of my beloved sisters and respected brothers.. if possible :D

had any of you studied journalism or is actually a journalists?

Jazakom Allahu Khair :D

PropellerAds

:D sis,

Well I'm studying to be a Journalist :D and wow, there're so many fields and areas in Journalism - wouldn't know where to begin.

I'd suggest giving a brief synopsis of the history of journalism (ie. when print media began) and the various types, including Broadcast Journalism, Print Journalism, Advocacy Journalism, Yellow Journalism, Investigative (muckracking), etc etc. :D The list never ends.

Also, you could concentrate on the ethical controversies that have always surrounded it. Like the mission to be 'objective' and to report 'the whole truth', which isn't exactly possible because every reporter/organization has its own biases and these are definitely portrayed, intentionally or otherwise. One look at CNN will prove that. :D

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_en.wikipedia(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/wiki/Journalism"]This[/url] is a good place to start collecting info. :D I'll check in if I can help further!

:D

WOW... i prefer to go basic as a year nine student :D

okay, let's go step by step..

what's "ethical controversies "

----

Well I'm studying to be a Journalist

pheww.. that sure gave me confort :D alhamdulilah :D

BTW: may Allah help you out with the studies :D

Oops, I think I went overboard with the info! :D Okay sis, one step at a time. :D

When I did an introductory course in Journalism earlier, one of the basic things they taught us (besides the writing stuff) was our responsibility toward the public, ie. ethics. Every profession follows a code of ethics - you can read about Journalism's here: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_spj(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/ethics_code.asp"]click![/url] Every journalist is supposed to report the truth as he knows it, without omission of facts and fabrication of details [this idea comes from Aristotle].

Sometimes, reporters do things which are legal (in that, there's nothing that prohibits their actions in the Code of Ethics) but the actions are still highly questionable and spur major controversies worldwide. For example, one kooky debate that's been on for decades is how much personal space celebrities are expected to have. Of course they'd love some privacy but the paparazzi always reminds them that they're "public property" once they're in the entertainment business, and it's very difficult for them to get out of (public) sight. :D This is just one of 'em controversies; there're much, much serious ones out there - just flipping open a newspaper and reading will give you a good idea.

I'll be back sis! All the best with your research.. lemme know if there's anything more I can help with! :D

Asalamou Alaicom wr wb

i'm sorry for my late replies sister.. my internet got disconnected for a couple of days and alhamdulilah, its now back on..

about the assignment, i got stuck on journalism so i shifted to advertising. I done my pressentation successfuly alhamdulilah and recieved 19 and a half out of 20 :D

May Allah reward you for you help anyway sister :D

Your sister in Islam, now and always

Mujahidah Fi SabilIllah :D

Heyyy that's great sis :D ! Mabrook! :D

Yeah advertising is so much more interesting to write about. :D Good job!