Islamic Forum
beardzrcool

Can We Kill Spiders?

Assalam O Alikum

Can we kill spiders in our homes? I know that a spider and its web helped the Prophet (S) hide from the disbelievers. From reading, I learnt that lizards can be killed...also if I'm not mistaken some snakes are Muslims Jinns. What insects and pests can we kill if they are in our homes?

JuzakAllah khair for all replies.

Salaam,

Muhammad.

PropellerAds

:D

Anything smaller than your fist/palm can be killed/swotted as pests. Because of tradition I tend to capture the spider alive and release outside.

Asalamu'Alycom

In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful

Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) said:

"I have forbidden you to kill the Ant, the Bee and the Hoopoe".

(I believe it is in Al-Bukhari or Muslim).

Inshahallah I will find out which Hadith.

Some Hadith include the Spider.

I follow the ruling that the insects mentioned in the Quran are forbidden to kill, such as the Spider. There was one nice story mentioned with the Spider and Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam).

I personally do not kill any insect, instead I put them under a cup and put them outside. We need as much help on The Day of Rising, so by helping the life of even small creatures of Allah, they will stand up for you on The Day you need help.

^well said, i am scared of spiders, so i capture them and Wthrow" them outside!

Salaam alaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) said:

(I believe it is in Al-Bukhari or Muslim).

Inshahallah I will find out which Hadith.

It would be better if you researched and found the hadith before declaring it is something Muhammad sallalahu alaihi wa salam said. That would be very dangerous ... if the hadith didnt exist or was da'eef or mawdoo.

Some spiders could be very lethal although I do not know a whole deal about them. If you are able to remove the spider without getting yourself hurt then that would be a solution. However if it is one of those poisonous ones and you would not want to risk getting bitten, I believe it can be killed.

This is not a fatawa. Lets see if we can get any statements from scholars regarding this.

wa alaikum as salam wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuhu

Asalamu'Alycom

It would be better if you researched and found the hadith before declaring it is something Muhammad sallalahu alaihi wa salam said. That would be very dangerous ... if the hadith didnt exist or was da'eef or mawdoo.

Alhamdulelah the Hadith exists. I need to find the exact location or it will lead to a whole heap of Fitna (arguments etc) and problems. But it does exist.

From the Scholars of Islam who have stated,

"Any sort of poisonous or dangerous insect, then the person has the right to kill it without question or judgment from Allah."

Asalamu'Alycom

ALLAHUAKBAR!

I found the exact location of the Hadith.

Narration from Abu Dawood, Ibn Abbass said that Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) said:

Assalamu Alaikum-

My dad said something about being able to kill ants if they're in the house but not if they're outside. If this isn't true, how would you get rid of the ants without killing them?

(i know they usually come to food, but what if there's nothing there)

Asalamu'Alycom

My dad said something about being able to kill ants if they're in the house but not if they're outside. If this isn't true, how would you get rid of the ants without killing them?

There are Hadith that Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) stated that it is forbidden to kill the ant. Since there are no Hadith to explain that killing Ants are allowed to certain situations, I follow the rule that ants should not be killed where ever they are.

Our kitchen during the summer is always full of Ants. Me and my family respect them so much that we are careful when dealing in the kitchen. I sometimes leave drops of honey outside, or small pieces of sweets that usually distract them from the kitchen. Mashahallah, they never give us trouble, and they are a miracle to watch how they work. I could sit down for ages watching an Ant. Subhanallah.

Edited by Mu'maneen

Question : Is it forbidden in Islam to harm bugs intentionally?

Answer :

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

It is permissible to kill insects that usually harm human beings, like mosquitoes, bugs, flies, spiders, lice and the like.

However, the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) forbade us to kill ants. Imam Ahmed and others reported that Ibn Abbas, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "The Prophet(Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) forbade killing four animals: the ant, the bee, the hoopoe and the shrike"

However, it is permissible to kill ants that harm the person or his belongings like the white ants known as termites.

It is also permissible to kill the mouse or rat. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said: "There are 5 animals which are noxious and should be killed outside or inside the sacred areas: a scorpion, a kite, a crow, a rat, and a biting dog. Reported by Bukhari and Muslim.

Allah knows best.

Source : Islamweb.com

Asalamu'Alycom

However, it is permissible to kill ants that harm the person or his belongings like the white ants known as termites.

From the Scholars of Islam who have stated,

"Any sort of poisonous or dangerous insect, then the person has the right to kill it without question or judgment from Allah."

Edited by Mu'maneen

Alsalam alikum

Actually the story about the spiders and the Prophit (PBUH) is not true and this is

the link in english

"http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=27224&dgn=4&ln=eng"]63.175.194.25/index.php?ds=qa&lv=br...24&dgn=4&ln=eng[/url]

and this is the link in Arabic

"http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=ara&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=27224&dgn=4"]63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=ara&ds=q...&QR=27224&dgn=4[/url]

:D :D

Assalaam Alaikum'

Wow I didn't know any of that, and am really terrified of spiders so i been killing them, every time i see one ekks. so thats haram?

Assalam-O-Alikum

DrIslam,

Allah knows best. JuzakAllah for the url...however concering your wording. The site says that "The scholars differed concerning this [the spider at the cave enterance] hadeeth". Which implies that some scholars disgree and others agree with the hadeeth. Not all scholars consider the hadeeth weak or false. Thus making a statement of "Actually the story about the spiders and the Prophit (PBUH) is not true" is inflammatory.

Once again, JuzakAllah khair for the link and reply.

Salaam,

Muhammad.

P.S. Please don't take this as a personal attack, we are all here to learn and teach (what little we know). Please correct me in the future if you see that my postings are wrong. Allah knows best.

Asalam Alaykum.. I'm confused. I'm so afraid of spiders that I can't even go near them to kill them let alone take them back outside. What to do?

Salaam,

Kill no creature unless you need to lawfully for food or for your own safety. If they pose no risk, why kill them?

Peace

Asalamu'Alycom

Asalam Alaykum.. I'm confused. I'm so afraid of spiders that I can't even go near them to kill them let alone take them back outside. What to do?

Remember Dear Sister, that the spider is more scared of you than you are scared of it. I am also scared of spiders. I just quickly put a cup over it and carry it outside. If it is raining, I make sure I put them in a protective area, away from the puddles and rain.

--------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

err.. what is Hoope?? is that spider??

Asalaamulaiykum,

yes i was going to ask the same thing, what is Hoope?! Also can we kill ####roaches? They're just so :D ....

Allahfiz

Salaam,

sorry didn't know the first bit of word was inappropriate, but im sure you know what insect im talking about.

Allahfiz

A hoopoe is a type of bird. I think it was mentioned in the story of Sulaiman (Alayhis salaam) and Bilqis. :D

In reply to your roaches question:

"Harmful insects may be killed with insecticides [or other means, but not by fire]. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘There are five pests that may be killed whether one is in ihram (state of consecration) or not: rats, scorpions, crows, kites [a hawk-like bird], and mad dogs.’ (Reported by Muslim). Another report adds a sixth, snakes. Thus the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) told us that they are harmful pests, and that they are unlike other animals which do not do harm, and so he told us to kill them whether we are in ihram or not. If other creatures such as ants, roaches or dung-beetles cause harm, they may also be killed with insecticides [or other means, but not by fire]."

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=102959"]Source[/url]

If an insect, like a spider, causes you no harm, there is no reason to kill. Being scared of it and killing it is not fair. Like brother Mu'maneen does, put it in a cup or something and take it outside. :D

Edited by mm_ca04

Asalamu'Alycom

There are Hadith that Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) stated that it is forbidden to kill the ant.  Since there are no Hadith to explain that killing Ants are allowed to certain situations, I follow the rule that ants should not be killed where ever they are.

Our kitchen during the summer is always full of Ants.  Me and my family respect them so much that we are careful when dealing in the kitchen.  I sometimes leave drops of honey outside, or small pieces of sweets that usually distract them from the kitchen.  Mashahallah, they never give us trouble, and they are a miracle to watch how they work.  I could sit down for ages watching an Ant.  Subhanallah.

Subhan'Allah they truely are amazing...

I was actually about to make a thread asking if it was ok to kill ants..

Like you, usually in the summer we get ants in our kitchen..

It doesnt really bother me to see an ant crawling around every now and then, but our upstairs bathroom has like 2 in it everytime I enter!!

I have been soooooooooooooooo nice to ants all my life, and they have been like my favorite bug all my life.....I even used to take crumbs of food or sugar to them and lay it by their ant hills OUTSIDE! I always feel sooo bad when I am sweeping off the porch and sweep one of them off...

but omg...I cant stand them lately! They are even attacking me! Seriously!

I woke up with 2 dead ones on me....and I remember before I went to sleep feeling pinching on my back....and things like this have happened several times!

What am I supposed to do about that ?

I killed 2 the other day (I thought it wasnt haram if they were in your house) and then I got my sister to kill like 6 more astagfur'Allah (I hate the poping sound of when you kill them....thats why I made my sister do it)

Like brother ahm said...usually I just take a tissue or something and scoop them up and drop them outside....and I did that a couple times (I felt a little bad because I thought they probably froze in the cold weather but...)

I dont know...

What should I do (sorry for rambling on)

I think I heard that if you the suratul An-Naml (the ant) the ants will leave?

Allahu alam

Asalamu'Alycom

They are even attacking me! Seriously!

If you are being attacked by the insects, then you have the right to defend yourself from them. Are they red ants that are attacking you Sister?

Reciting Surat An-Naml is good to recite over them, also parts of Surat Bakarah, and the last three Surah's of the Quran.

--------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

whenever i see anything that crawls or flies in my bedroom, i always remove it, because i'm just scared that it might crawl onto my face (even into my mouth) whilst i'm asleep. i try not to kill it and throw it outside but i usually squash it :D it isn't a major sin, is it?

This question made me think a while about my previous actions

Before I had a fear of them - I just found it scary the way they moved, acted etc etc (crazy I know :D , there probably more afraid of me!)

However after thinking about it (eg. referred to religous writings etc etc), I felt guilty and have tried to correct my behaviour. I generally try and leave them alone now. .