Islamic Forum
Ibn_Khaldun

Islam in Somalia

Salaam Alaikum,

Yes, the 6 days of Shawwal are very rewarding indeed. I woke up really thirsty this morning, went down to the kitchen half-awake and was checking what time fajr started, it said 5.30am. So I was trying to focus my gaze on the clock to see what time it was, and it seemed to be 5.30am exactly. I stood there for a couple of seconds debating whether I should drink some water or not.. when I hear my mobile alarm going off in my room upstairs (for fajr). Ir turned out that it wasn't 5.30, but 6.30am! lol. SubhanaAllah. How disorientated I am in the mornings :S.

It's 1.15pm now and my throat is still very dry =(, only a few hours to go though, alhamdulillah.

100%_Muslim - Nemo's cute, but I love Dory. She's just the cutest and most hilarious thing ever, don't you think? It has to be one of my all-time favourite animated characters =).

I've been wanting to watch Shark's Tale too, but couldn't because of Ramadhan. That's meant to really funny too, I'm sure it is considering Will Smith is the main star.

Walaikum Asalaam.

PropellerAds

Salaam

LOL[at] afg!! Ahem, I mean pooooor poooor thirsty afg!

So sister 100% did you say something?? Hm? :D I was actually suspecting something like that.

Anyways not my fault I thought he was a young girl. I mean this thread was/is full of young girls.

I regret not watching Nemo last year....inshAllah I'll watch someday soon...

Really Will Smith is in Shark's Tale? Cool.....He's hilarious.:D

wsalaam

:D

It's been along time but i'm finally able to make a contribution to the forum...................I had all sorts of troubles with my log in and was unable to leave any comments for a long time..................but i'm back now.............and happy to be back.

Hope you all had a good Eid. I can't believe another Ramadan has just passed............it certainly went very quick.....................roll on Ramadan 2005!!!!!!!

It's a shame that we have had to start this thread from scratch again; we were previously doing quite well. Ma'alesh........... i'm sure we will soon regain our status as the longest thread in this section, all we need to do is to start discussing food again!!!!

Ma'asalama

Bismillah,

Good to have u back bro,

inshallah we will make this place hot!

we need a good topic to start with and we must keep that topic inshallah.

I'll let u all think about it first and inshallah we will see.

everyone post the topic u wish we can discus.

p.s imaan49 left :D i really hope she is doing well..she was happy with her posts.

wa.salaam

Lol…you mean just talk about the basic food eaten by most Somalia’s which consist of rice, pasta and banana! Let me attempt to write it in Somali...you know what…ain’t going to even bother attempting.

Considering i'm at the moment trying to learn written Somali...............i don't mind attempting to spell those three words. Here goes; rice is spelt bariis (i'm not sure if it's 1 i or 2 i's), pasta is spelt baasto and banana (the easy one out of the three) is spelt moos. Please correct me if i'm wrong folks.

Brother Guided heart: Glad to be back walaal, hopefully we can all set this place on fire!!! I haven’t got a clue what we should discuss; usually i just come in here and then go with the flow!!! Definitely something educative and obviously with a Somali theme...............i'll let more senior members of the forum decide!!!!

Ma'asalama

Correct spelling horn of africa:)

wsalaam

this threat isn't serving its purpose your suppose to be talking about Islam in your country for instance do somalis dress Islamically or western way, do the old generation eg your parents/grandparents practise Islam the same way as you do and so on.

brother guided heart is somali? (w00t)

Edited by sharihan

one more thing if you want to beat the england thread you need to talk about something interesting that can keep this thread alive and at the same time make people come back for more. :D

:D brother/sister sharihan

Didn't you know brother GH was somalian?

sis Qassab :P thank God he doesn't mind me saying this...they're getting engaged soon, she was a member here...sis Repentence, I will ask her to come back to gawaher again, maybe she doesn't know it has been fixed.

Food as our discussion subject? I don't know about that....is everyone here somali, I kinda forgot who is who :D

Glad to have you with us again bro HOF :P

Hey, does anyone know how somalia is right now? I mean is it peaceful? My future hus is going there this month and i'm kinda worried...is it true that if you go there, they force you to marry someone? :D

:w:

salaam aleykum

I have a question.

Can Somalia be an Islamic State sooner than later?? How do you think the population will take it??

Shouldnt people take this chance now??

In response to sharihan.

The reasons many of us in here are unable to discuss the situation of Islam in Somalia are twofold. Firstly we have never been asked by outsiders the specific questions that you have now asked, and the questions you do ask have been answered previously in this thread before the website crashed. Secondly we are all members of the large Somali diaspora who are scattered across the globe who have either been born outside the country, have never visited it or have not been back for many years. Therefore we are only able to give a short description of the situation instead of a more in-depth summary which would be more educative to a non-Somali.

So if we do sidetrack and start discussing issues which do not have relevance to Islam in our country then please excuse us, and bare in mind that the questions you do ask have been previously touched on, which can be re-answered if necessary.

Lastly, our aim is not to beat the England thread.................. we were just joking. Anyhow to beat that thread we'll have to start discussing issues such as whether Wales is apart of England, loooooooooooooooool which i'm sure you don't find productive or interesting.

Sis Qassab................i new i'd get those spellings right. To be honest they weren't that difficult so i shouldn't be so impressed with myself :D

100% Muslim: Whether your husband will be safe or not depends on the region he'll be visiting, inshaAllah he'll be o.k. And on your last comment...........loooool, i don't think so.......... where did you here that? Must be a Somali sheeko that has totally been changed from its origins!!!!

Ma'asalama

salaam aleykum

I have a question.

Can Somalia be an Islamic State sooner than later?? How do you think the population will take it??

Shouldnt people take this chance now??

Interesting question.

Unfortunately i'm not very knowledgeable about Islamic state structures, but i have a few questions which maybe someone will be able to answer that will hopefully lead us to answer the original question as to whether Somalia can produce such a state.

-Firstly what constitutes an Islamic state apart from the obvious inclusion of Sharia Law?

-Has a 'true' Islamic state ever been in existence since the time of the prophet (saw), if so, where, and is it still in existence, if not what lead to it's disintegration or demise?

Ma'asalama

The England thread is not competing against this thread :D anyways i don't think you can discuss Islam 24/7 on these types of thread because i don't think any of the somalian people actaully live in Somalia therefore their knowledge on certain things are very limited.

:w:

-Firstly what constitutes an Islamic state apart from the obvious inclusion of Sharia Law?

Accordin' to my knowledge, there is no other constitution apart from the Shariah (constitutional law)

-Has a 'true' Islamic state ever been in existence since the time of the prophet (saw), if so, where, and is it still in existence, if not what lead to it's disintegration or demise?

Offcourse!, The Caliphs (Khulafaa Al-Rashidoon) ruled the Islamic empire and expanded it after the death of the Prophet (P). They liberated many nations and conquered the holy places (i.e. Jerusalem) from the Crusaders. However, after the death of the last rightly guided Caliph (Ali); the Islamic system (for choosing the Caliph) was replaced by hereditary kingship, But, because the system instituted by the Prophet (P) still had its momentum and influence, the Islamic empire (ruled by the self-proclaimed Caliphs) continued to flourish and grow.

And as for the decline of the Muslim civilization, -- it's quite an broad subject and I cannot summarize it. Nonetheless, I do advise you to visit this link:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimheritage(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/uploads/QuestionIs1.pdf"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.muslimheritage(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/uploads/QuestionIs1.pdf[/url]

which expounds the major reasons regardin' the decline.

Wa'salaam

Shukran bro horn of africa for explaining to the people.

We are not competeting against the England thread...if we were I'd spend much more time here.

Please do not take our jokes about that seriousley.

Bismillah,

Thanks brothers and sisters for starting good topics inshallah.

Brother kadafi, thanks for the intro...hope we keep this up.

To my knowlegde, Somalia is like Medinah before Islam came. If you don't belong to a tribe...then ur like a dog...meaning...everyone will take advantage of you. Islam is part of life but there is no leadership...just war-Lords running around fighting and dying for a name(May Allah guide them...like He guided the tribes of Madinah.)

My whole family is in Somalia, i have been in Canada for 14 years...but Mash'Allah my family is very strong in deen. My brother who is 15 years old memorized the Quran and teaching to my 2 young brothers inshallah..so yes Islam is there.

The only solution today for the whole world not just Somalia...is Islamic state that ruels with the Sharia Law so people can stop killing each other for tribe names (I really hate it.!) The elders are into politics 2 much...all they talk and care about is tribes (this does not mean all of them.)

Man is like an animal without the rules and Laws of Allah (why cant we just follow whats good for us?)

Islam is strange again,

people fighting over tribe names,

we are weak because we are divided and fight each other.

-----------------------------------------

Its history rebeating itself again.

Islam inshallah will bring us peace inshallah.

p.s may Allah forgive me if i have said wrong...may Allah forgive us all.

wa.salam

Asalamu Alaykum!

Tribe has over blinded people’s views and the followings of Allah (swt) and our beloved prophet (pbuh). The thing is the older generations are too obsessed with tribe that this has influenced the younger generation and this ignorance still runs in the majorities. I think people should vote for a leader on what they can offer for the country rather than on their tribe…honestly do they not know that Allah (swt) does not discriminate one from another due to tribe and nationality? I hope they are guided to the straight path.

Mashallah brother guided heart that your brother is hafid Qur’an but I fear that he has like the majority who do not know the meaning….do correct me if I’m wrong..

Assalamu Alykum

how can one person be considered a hafid if he/she doesnt contemplate on what they read?? This would merly make them into parrots, copying, whereas the Quran is supposed to be a Mercy to the Alamin

Bismillah,

brothers and sisters, let us not jump over the bridge!

There are diff methods to be hafit and know its meaning.

some just memorize from young age and by the time they reach 10 or 15...they start learning the meaning which is easier for them. Some people do both at the same time...so it all depends one the teacher and the student.

just be cus u memorized does not mean...ur done. My brother and others like him..are only half way. So he is working on the meaning. He is only 15, might not understand the meaning fully...but by the time he reachs 18 inshallah he is done and plus..he can now understand the message still being young.

brothers and sisters, let us never judge others for what they do for Allah's sake. We should look at ourselfs and judge.

p.s give them credit and wish them the best..dont judge which way they choose to meet Allah (swt)

wa.salaam

Edited by guided_heart

horn of africa :D for explaining the situation in somalia.

it was a friend of mine's idea to write the bit which i sounded complete nutter oh well if you haven't read it thank god but if you did please accept my apology if i sounded pathetic. :P

Sharihan...that is quite alright. Dont worry about it.

Going back to Somalia and Islamic state....I found interesting the fact none of the guys who were nominated to be a president in the somali election in kenya were quite religious. This is from my understanding. I dont want to go into politics of Somalia but i hear my dad and his friends talking. NOne of them even try to talk about anything religious when it comes to politics.

I want a leader who will rule us according to Islam, where men and women dont mix, eradicate tribalism (unless we use it to recognise one another), where every one is aware of their roles and their responsibilities to Allah and his family, where all troublemakers are punished accordingly, where the uniform in schools is included wearing the hijab for girls and men to hide their cawrah...and the most of all to ABOLISH/DESTROY DIRAC!!

what do you think?? Is this going to happen in my lifetime?? Allah knows.

Assalamu Alykum

sorry brother Guidedheart, if I seemed to be jumping to conclusions....its just it makes me soo mad when I see fellow huffad not acting upon the quran (not your brother ofcourse! :D ), its such a mockery of the blessing Allah has bestowed upon you. And I aplogies once again :D

Edited by Ibn_Khaldun

Bismillah,

Bro Ibn_Khaldun, there is no reason to aplogies..but there is a reason to give our brothers and sisters 70 excuses as our beloved prophet (peace be upon him) said. This also helps us not to assume wrongly.

May Allah bless them and make them reach where they wish to read inshalllah.

wa.salaam