Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Zakariyah

Heeeeeeeellllllp

:D

subhannallah i hate this subject soo much i,m gonna fail it bad! mecry.gif

i need help on this, i know the answer but i just dont know how you get it. heres the question:

Ammonium salts are widely used as fertilisers. one standard method for the analysis of ammonium salts is to react them in solution with methanal, HCHO. this forms a neautral organic compound together with an acid which can be titrated with standard alkali. for ammonium nitrate the equation for this reaction is:

4HN4NO3 + 6HCNO -----> (CH2)6N4 + 4HNO3 + 6H20

15.0 g of a fertilser containing ammonium nitrate as the only ammonium salt was dissolved in water and the solution made up to 1.00 dm3 with pure water.

25cm3 portions of this solution were then treated with saturatted aqueous methanal solution and allowed to stand for a few mintures.

the liberated nitiric acid was then titrated with 0.1 mol dm-3 NaOH solution. the volume of Naoh solution used was 22.3cm3.

what percentage by mass of the fertiser was ammonium nitrate?! spineyes.gif

PropellerAds

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.anysubject(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/chemistry-a-level.asp"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.anysubject(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/chemistry-a-level.asp[/url] ?

I understand, nothing of what you said....lol...and probably never will be able to, because I have never been interested in chemistry..

May Allah make it easy for you to understand.

May Allah give you the best.

salam alikum lol May Allah reward you sis'

jazakallah khair bro but i,m not that desprate for the working out to pay for it.

i,m kinda waiting for sister elif inshallah to help me out seeing as she is a chemistry teacher i think,

I thought it was a free helpline. Anyway I'll ask someone I know doing A Level Chemistry.

subhannallah i hate this subject soo much i,m gonna fail it bad!

Ammonium salts are widely used as fertilisers. one standard method for the analysis of ammonium salts is to react them in solution with methanal, HCHO. this forms a neautral organic compound together with an acid which can be titrated with standard alkali. for ammonium nitrate the equation for this reaction is:

in my country they usually makes students to memorize the lecture instead of learning it. i feel like in europe or in america does it the same. but russia what i heard is different when teaching students science...

anywaay about ur question:

in such questions first of all u should check the equation. is it true or not and then r they equal. you should equate the numbers if they are not the same as prodxts and reactants.

you cant equate this, bec. it is not true.

the ammonium is NH4 not HN4 and methanal -this is first time i heard this name i prefer to use formaldehyde- HCHO

and the equation is :

4NH4NO3 + 6HCHO ----> (CH2)6N4 + 4HNO3 + 6H2O

i am not sure (CH2)6N4 as the product but i guess the eqxn should be like that...

otherwise -like u do- you cant equate the eqxn...

to equate it you should add the number of moles in eqxn:

8N --> 8N

6C-->6C

18 O --> 18 O

28H --> 28 H

first of all you should check others at last H and O before H.....

and then you should write the second rxn :

HNO3 + NaOH --> NaNO3 + H2O

and bec. of the existence of 4 HNO3 at first rxn. i prefer to write 4 HNO3 in second one.

4HNO3 + 4NaOH --> 4NaNO3 + 4H2O

check this , i ll continue later. am a bit busy now...

Edited by elif74

ahm, you say i am wrong??? i dont think so, but again i ll check it...

oh i forgot to say inshaAllah

Edited by elif74

No, I'm wrong I pasted it from someone else, I was hoping it might be useful...

Chemistry seems quite mathematical.

if you check the words after it is said methanal there is formula of it HCHO this is true. but at the equation's reactants part it is written HCNO they should be same. this is also what slave did write brother. and HCHO is true as methanal but not HCNO

and before i did write it down , i ve searched my book. and again looked at the sites about this.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:zDGheINGhTUJ:qtdemo.dylias(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/1632/1632Tech_200301/msg00348.html+hexamethylenetetmine+ammonium+nitrate+formaldhde+&hl=tr&ie=UTF-8&inlang=tr"]hexamethylenetetramine[/url]

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.bigbangfireworks.co.uk/2562/info.php?p=3&pno=0"]ammoniumnitrate and methanal-or formaldehyde-[/url]

you can control if i am rite or wrong...

15 gr. and 1dm3 solxn and we take 25cm3 of it.

and 0.1mole 1dm3 NaOH we take 22.3 cm3 of it.

as u c sodium hydroxide and nitric acid we used are at the same amount so if we find the mole of sodium hydroxide this is the same amount w/ the nitric acid.

make a ratio: if 1dm3 = 1 000 cm3 is 0.1 mole NaOH and then 22.3 cm3 NaOH is how many mole ?

1000cm3 0.1mole

22.3cm3 x

----------------------------------

x= 0,00223 moles of NaOH and HNO3

and this is the same mole of ammonium nitrate so we have this amount of ammonium nitrate.

for 25cm3 fertiliser we have 0,00223 moles of ammonium nitrate

for 1dm3 (1000cm3) fertiliser we have 0,0892 moles of ammonium nitrate.

and find the gram of ammonium nitrate of 0,0892 mole.

and divide it 15 to find the percentage.

i guess the answer is almost %50

Erm... should you be linking / visiting such sites?

[at]_[at]

is this a joke if not i didnt understand????????????

Ok, doesn't matter. It's just that Muslims in the UK have been arrested for possessing too much fertiliser, as with fertiliser something else can be made [at]_[at]

yep you did it! the answer is 47.6%

you cant equate this, bec. it is not true.

the ammonium is NH4 not HN4 and methanal -this is first time i heard this name i prefer to use formaldehyde- HCHO

:D opps that was a typing error. it was NH4 has you have said,

i,m gonna need some time to understand how you worked it out, will get back to you later on inshallah kinda busy now.

Ok, doesn't matter. It's just that Muslims in the UK have been arrested for possessing too much fertiliser, as with fertiliser something else can be made [at]_[at]

LoL, but i dont think this goes against "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_forums.gawaher(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/index.php?act=boardrules"]forum rules[/url] lol its educational purposes.

:D for the help, :D

What year A Level are you and what text book are you using for chemistry?

salam alikum

how did you get 0.0892 ?

i have another question the RMM of ammonium nitrate is 80, but in the equation it was x4 (4Nh4no3)? i would have thought we should times it by 4? e.g 80 X 4

but yeh 0.0892 x80 gives 7.136g of amoninum nitrate so your answer is correct

47.57 :D

just wanna know how do you get 0.0892. :D i need to get a B in this subject :D

What year A Level are you and what text book are you using for chemistry?
2nd year, i,m using the advance chemistry for you book (with a rocket in the front) very good book, but this is first year skill.

wa salam,

Edited by slave

1000cm3  0.1mole

22.3cm3    x

----------------------------------

x= 0,00223 moles of NaOH and HNO3

and this is the same mole of ammonium nitrate so we have this amount of ammonium nitrate.

for 25cm3 fertiliser                0,00223 moles of ammonium nitrate

for 1dm3 (1000cm3) fertiliser  x moles of ammonium nitrate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

x=0,0892 moles

and find the gram of ammonium nitrate of 0,0892 mole.

and divide it 15 to find the percentage.

i guess the answer is almost %50