Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
*MuSlIm*

Chained

as salaamualaikum!!

how important is it in Islam that women can cook and clean (i mean before AND after marriage!)?

your views are much appreciated!

:D

wa alaikumusalaam

PropellerAds

Asalamu'Alycom

In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful;

I believe it is important for the woman to be able to clean and cook.

BUT I believe it is equally important for the man to be able to clean and cook as well.

The man should equally help with the house work when he is not working etc.

It is wrong for the man just to sit down all day leaving everything up to the woman.

Helping each other for the sake of Allah=Happiness=Hasanat from Allah=Jenna together Inshah'Allah.

--------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

Edited by Mu'maneen

it would b really helpful if she did. es. if she's not goin to work & stay at home.

but the husband should help her out every now then in chores around the house.

can a couple live if the wife can't cook or clean? sure they can but i don't think i can. i don't want to come home after a working all day long to a dirty home. would hate to stand in kitchen for 2 hrs n cook dinner after work. i already do all that & it tires the hell outta me. it was very much managable when i went to school & worked part time but not cool anymore.

I don't have any plans of making my future wife work, :D i will provide her whatever she needs. all i expect in return is that she take care of me when i come home after work. hopefully, i m not asking for too much!

as salaamualaikum!

interesting!

where are all the women??!!!

guess im doomed then..........................

......unless my husband likes beans on toast :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D

wa alaikumus salaam

I think it's very important that women can cook and clean. I mean they are supposed to take care of the kids most of the time and therefor they should be able to cook and clean for them, and also the husband. I think men should know how to clean too (I can't stand messy people who can't clean up after themselves).

Don't lose hope sister, it's not so difficult to learn to cook. :D

Edited by sis Qassab

as salaamualaikum!

interesting!

where are all the women??!!!

guess im doomed then..........................

......unless my husband likes beans on toast :D  :D  :D

:D  :D  :D  :D

wa alaikumus salaam

hire a cook, but it can b expensive in the west (i m assuming u live in the west)

that's one good thing abt third world countries.. middle class income familes can afofrd all those luxuries. :D

Sister don't look down on housework. At the time of the Prophet :D the women were concerned that the housework and chores they did were not equal to men going out to in the way of Allah. However the Prophet :D assured them that housework for them was equivalent to that (I'd be grateful if someone can find exact refs). Add to that motherhood is highly respected, as you know. If society turns round and looks down on it (like in the West) then ofcourse women will feel inferior.

If both in the couple have to work, then whoever comes home first should cook. it's unjust to expect the wife to work and then cook and clean.

Sometime in the future I will be married, someday :D T_T *sniff* ... anywway, If we were in a situation where she had to work, then I'll make a deal where she cooks and I'll do the cleaning. Most likely I'll help her cook anyway, chop and peel stuff for her.

It is important to know how to cook, both men and women, so you can prepare decent healthy food for your family - instead of takeaways and readymeals. My dad can cook, if mum's unwell, he'll take over cooking.

If both in the couple have to work, then whoever comes home first should cook. it's unjust to expect the wife to work and then cook and clean.

yes, it's asking for too much.

n like bro slave & sis Qassab said it's the womans' responsilbity to to take care of her husband & children. i don't expect her do this & work too. that's one more reason y i don't want my wife to work.

Reward of everyday chores

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said; "Homemaking (Allah-willing) raises the station of a woman to the level of those who make Jihad “ (Kanz)

I don't know who "Kanz" is, does anyone?

Sharing domestic work with the wife.

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said; "Helping wives (in their domestic work) earns (men) the reward of charity." (Kanz)

Narrated Al-Aswad (radhiallaho anho): I asked A'isha (radhiallaho anha), "What did the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) do at home? " She said, "He used to work for his family and when he heard the call for the prayer, he would go out." (Sahih al-Bukhari)

When I was kid and didn't know how to cook yet and my mom was sick, my dad would cook. Hey sis, my little bro is 11 and already knows how to bake chocolate cake, you can beat that can't ya? :D

Reward of everyday chores

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said; "Homemaking (Allah-willing) raises the station of a woman to the level of those who make Jihad “ (Kanz)

I don't know who "Kanz" is, does anyone?

Sharing domestic work with the wife.

The Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) has said; "Helping wives (in their domestic work) earns (men) the reward of charity." (Kanz)

Narrated Al-Aswad (radhiallaho anho): I asked A'isha (radhiallaho anha), "What did the Prophet (sallallaho alaihi wasallam) do at home? " She said, "He used to work for his family and when he heard the call for the prayer, he would go out." (Sahih al-Bukhari)

:D sis

something both & men should remember

my little bro is 11 and already knows how to bake chocolate cake, you can beat that can't ya? :D

impressive :D

i can cook too, nothing too elaborate but can b rated good.

The Rights and Virtues of Women in Islam by Shaikh Mohammad Iqbal

Just as the foremost role of man within the context of his family is that of a provider, that of a woman in normal circumstances is the nurturing and management of domestic affairs. Despite this division of responsibilities being consistent with nature and optimal for maintaining the structure of a harmonious and organised society, Allah in His infinite mercy has blessed men and women with rewards for carrying out their respective primary roles.

Although this exceedingly great reward is a tremendous favour, the wife is at liberty to forego it and is fully entitled to ask the husband to arrange for domestic help. The wife's maintenance is not in lieu of any household services. Thus according to Shariah, housework or attending on the husband and children cannot be imposed on the wife as her religious obligation. On the other hand, remedial disciplinary recourse exists within the legal framework of Islam against husbands who deliberately abandon their primary responsibilities to the detriment of their wives.

i can cook too, nothing too elaborate but can b rated good.

MashAllah bro. :D

What are you doing on the internet making these posts? GET BACK TO THE KITCHEN!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

haha j/k :D

Anyway, housework, well, depends. If the husband works and the wife stays home, it's only fair imo that the wife does the housework. If they both work, maybe in shifts.

Assalamu Aleikum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

It is also important for the husband to be content and to make it easy for their wives.

Salam

as salaamu alaikum

hmm.....jazakallah for all your comments. (*THINKS* mum was right; she told me so!!)

i can actually clean and cook (nothing elaborate, but itll do i suppose).

i just wanted to know what everyone thought; it is really good that no one has suggested that it should only be the women that do all the household stuff (believe me, i know people who even in THIS century think that women are slaves :D :D :D -i suppose its all about going out and educating your self about Islam, no?)

finally, i dont think im going to post any more questions like this and make myself look stupid and incompetent :D :D

i guess not everyone has the same sense of humour :D

hope you all have a really good day today (depending where you are in the world!!)

wa alaikumus salaam

*pulls out hoover and starts hoovering with one hand and cooking chicken with the other* :D

Even if the wife stays home all day she needs a break once and a while from cleaning and cooking. You should be able to go to a restaraunt once and a while. I think that at least once in a while the husband should help...I could understand if the husband comes home exhausted but otherwise I think guys should help too. But they say a way to a mans heart is through his stomach. :D

Interesting....

We both work, and i still cook and clean..because simply i am good at it. If i come home and my husband start cooking, we will never leave the kitchen even after 10pm, cos men take long to cook and dirty everything. If he wants a spoon, he will use a clean spoon rather than the dirty one. So by the end of the meal, there are so many dishes to wash as well as dirty kitchen. Whereas when i come home from work, i cook and clean with 30minutes.

Men cant hack it. It is simple as that.

While men are the physically stronger sex, the woman's biological make-up has made her excel as the homemaker. She alone can be impregnated, carry and deliver the child, and then le the baby. Her gentle, caring and selfsacrificing temperament is best suited to bringing up children and looking after the home. To say that she should also earn a living is an unacceptable injustice and implies that everything she does for her home and children is worthless and needs to be supplemented by an outside cover. A woman already has to play in society a great and noble role as mother of a new generation, a role for which no man can claim the honors. It is because of her supreme role as mother that she is entitled to three times the devotion given to the father from the children. .

The roles of men and women in the Qur’ân are dealt as:

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend from their means. Therefore, the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in the husband's absence what Allah orders them to guard." (V. 4:34)

This Divine injunction describes the man as Qawwam (maintainer) and the woman as Qanitah (obedient) and Hafizatun lil-Ghaib (preserver of the secret). The Verse gives two reasons as to why men are described as maintainers. Firstly, because "Allah has made the one of them to excel the other," which means that He has excelled men to be physically stronger and more inclined to have a career outside the home. The history of mankind has always shown that men, from the most primitive to the most technologically minded, have assumed the role of providing food, maintaining law and order in the community, waging war against enemies, and going on expeditions in search of new lands, adventure, food and even hidden treasure. The women have primarily stayed at home to provide a stable environment for the children. .

The second reason is that "they spend from their means." It is the man's duty to provide financially for his family, and it is also the man who is required to give a dower to his wife at the time of their marriage. In the castle of his home, the husband is the ruler and the wife is his pillar of support. As in any establishment, there can only be one ruler; a car with two drivers, a country with two kings or an army with two generals would all be in utter chaos and disarray. The husband has thus been put in charge of his home, but this is a responsibility and not a privilege.

Both Sexes have Rights over each other:

The different roles of the sexes means that never is one sex burdened with all the duties while the other enjoys all the privileges. Instead they both have individual duties and privileges. The Qur’ân says in this regard:

"And they (women) have rights similar over them to what is reasonable, but men have a degree over them. And Allah is All-Mighty, All-Wise." (V. 2:228)

Assalamu alaikum,

Cooking is fun so i don't mind it even if i worked i'd still do it. As for the cleanin....well not so fun....but i can't stand mess so yep i do that aswell.

Wa'alaikumu salam

Asalam Alaykum I can't stand messes either so sometimes I just clean it up myself. Cooking is fun but cleaning up afterwards isn't. Everytime I leave the house for a few hrs I come back and there are tons of dishes so I ask my husband how many meals he had and he will say ONE. Sometimes its just better to do it on your own.

lol............

evey clean dished everyday but we see the kitchen after dinner.. the sink is full. this is just one meal. :D

in regards to the question; i think it is fair if both partners contribute to the household chores. this way one cannot moan and groan that it is unfair.