Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bajabar

Terri Schiavo's Case

PropellerAds

:D

Could you add a bit more info, like who Terri Schiavo is and what the case is about?

wow coool i am doing a paper on her weird i wouldnt mind some Islamic point of view i can write them down inshallah

this could b interesting. the poor woman has been brain damaged, confined to bed, has no idea what's happening around her.. can't even eat.. needs a feeding tube.

Perosnally, i think 15 yrs of this kind of pain is enuf & since the docs have given up all home of her ever recovering. i think she should b removed off the feeding tube.

i have known cases of ppl being removed off breathing equipments but that was mainly coz these families had no other option... was costing em $1000 a day in a country like India, they couldn't afford it anymore. :D n docs also said that these ppl r way too old to recover.

Hope this helps inshaAllah.

Question of Fatwa

Dear scholars, As-Salaam `Alaykum. I would like to know the Islamic stance on euthanasia. Jazakum Allah khayran.

Name of Mufti Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi

Content of Reply

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother, thanks for your interesting question, which reflects your deep belief in the fact that Islam has answers for every problem facing mankind. Our utmost wish is just for all of us to adhere to the teachings of this great religion which came to save mankind from the peril of succumbing to the material life, to rescue them from darkness of following whims and self inclinations to the light of guidance and eternal prosperity.

Regarding your question, following is the fatwa issued by the prominent Muslim scholar Sheikh Al-Qaradawi on this issue:

Euthanasia or Mercy Killing is the act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, through lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

This act is Islamically forbidden for it encompasses a positive role on the part of the physician to end the life of the patient and hasten his death via lethal injection, electric shock, a sharp weapon or any other way. This is an act of killing, and, killing is a major sin and thus forbidden in Islam, the religion of pure mercy.

As for the suspension of medical treatment via preventing the patient from his due medication which is, from a medical perspective, thought to be useless, this is permissible and sometimes it is even recommended. Thus, the physician can do this for the sake of the patient’s comfort and the relief of his family. Nothing is wrong in this, Insha’ Allah (Allah willing).

It is highly stressed here that medical treatment is deemed non-obligatory by the majority of Muslim scholars and the founders of the famous schools of Islamic Jurisprudence. Rather, to them, it is permissible. Only a few number of Muslim scholars maintain that it is obligatory, as said by some followers of Imam Ahmad and Ash-Shafi`i. Also, others maintain that applying medical treatment is commendable and preferable.

Moreover, some scholars disputed over which is better for the patient: treatment or showing endurance. Some who maintain that showing endurance is far better base their judgment on the narration of Ibn `Abbas in the two Sahihs that `Ata’ Ibn Abu Rabih said: Ibn `Abbas said to me: “‘May I show you a woman of Paradise?’ I said: ‘Yes.’ He said: ‘Here is this dark-complexioned woman. She came to Allah’s Messenger, peace and blessing be upon him, and said: ‘I am suffering from epilepsy and convulsive seizures make me naked; supplicate Allah for me.� Thereupon, the Prophet, peace and blessing be upon him, said: ‘You can show endurance and win entry to Paradise, but if you like, I’ll pray to Allah for your recovery.’ She said: ‘I am prepared to show endurance but I get naked due to convulsions, so supplicate Allah to spare me getting naked.’ And the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, did pray for her.’� (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

These are the views of the scholars of the Ummah on treatment and medication; most of them maintain that it is permissible; some maintain that it is recommended; and a few number of them deem it obligatory. I myself agree with those who deem it obligatory in case the pain gets unbearable, and the illness is curable, by Allah’s Grace.

This is also compatible with the guidance of Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, who sought treatment for himself and ordered his honorable Companions to seek treatment as well; this is confirmed by Ibn Al-Qayyim in Zad Al-Ma`ad (Provision of the Hereafter).

But in cases when sickness gets out of hand, and recovery happens to be tied to miracle, in addition to ever-increasing pain, no one can say treatment then is obligatory or even recommended. Thus, the physician’s act of stopping medication, which happens to be of no use, in this case may be justified, as it helps in mitigating some negative effects of medications, and it enhances death. But it’s different from the controversial “Mercy Killing� as it does not imply a positive action on the part of the physician; rather, it is some sort of leaving what is not obligatory or recommended, and thus entails no responsibility.

To conclude, the physician can practice this for the sake of the patient’s comfort and the relief of his family. Nothing is wrong in this, Insha’ Allah.

Switching off the life support:

If a patient is medically presumed dead through what is known as brain death, in the sense that he no longer has any feelings, switching off the life support may be permissible, with due consultation and care, especially when it’s clear that the life support machine becomes of no use for the already-dead patient.

Read also

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fatwa/english/FatwaDisplay.asp?hFatwaID=120075"]Euthanasia: Types and Rulings[/url]

Allah Almighty knows best.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/fatwaapplication/english/display.asp?hFatwaID=59464"]Source[/url]

yeah, but with her it's not exactly an assisted suicide, its more of just taking her off of life support. she's already in a hospice, which is basically the last stop... they're not given anything to make them better, just to ease the pain.

i personally think she deserves peace, whatever form it may come in.

In Star Trek, Dr McCoy's father was terminally ill. The father said to his son, "Stop the pain..." The week after he killed his father (a mercy killing), a cure was found...

In Star Trek, Dr McCoy's father was terminally ill.  The father said to his son, "Stop the pain..."  The week after he killed his father (a mercy killing), a cure was found...

How bout 15 years of trying to find a cure...oh but thats nothing as long as we still have tomorrow huh.....

It had to be the next week to add some irony/dramatic effect.

I always thought that if we killed people because we couldn't heal them, then it would discourage developments of new medicine and treatment, as what would be the point - any hardship and you can just end your life etc. ?

Asalaamalikum...

my presumption is that it would be wrong to remove the feeding tube beacuse in essence you will be killing her by starvation, its not up to us when to end a life, that decision belongs only up to Allah as we are all aware am sure. But it is defo a complicated case as its belelived she is dead already not in the literal sense ofcourse. But i am against any sort of mercy killing, yes sure she doesn't no who she is, where she is etc.... but it would be wrong for a man to decided when her life should end.

walikumsalaam

Edited by Entropy

Asalamu'Alycom

In the name of Allah Most Gracious Most Merciful;

Dear Brothers and Sisters of Islam.

By carrying out an action you are helping in suicide of a person. This is completely forbidden in Islam.

Remember how long Ayub ('AlyheeSalaam) suffered? He suffered from a terrible, terrible disease. Not once did he ('AlyheeSalaam) say that there is no hope and now he must die. He ('AlyheeSalaam) kept patient and kept supplicating to Allah, and Subhanallah, because of that paitence and trust in Allah, He ('Azzajal) cured him after many years of absolute suffering. Because of that Allah honoured him in the Quran many times, and he ('AlyheeSalaam) will be honoured on The Day of Judgment.

No matter how much one suffers, Allah will never place a burden more than one can bear. We are now, by saying that she must die, are going against the Shari'a of Islam. This could end in Kufr.

She must live and as the Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam) said:

"for sure there is a cure for every disease except death".

Al-Bukhari.

I pray that she will be cured and then she will become a Muslim by Da'wa, because unfortunately she got the disease while she was living as a Kafer.

--------------------

Vist my new Islamic Site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_hstrial-besmail.homestead(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/Islam.html[/url]

Edited by Mu'maneen

so what abt the the example of taking the person of the the resporitory (sp?) device i had give in my last post? they didn't have any choice, esp... monetary wise. :D

i'm sorry but isn't suicide the INTENTIONAL killing of one's self?

and to you, bro mansoor, i really don't know. it's obviously hard, but if they absolutely cannot afford it, what can they do?

some people have started making these living wills, i think thats what they're called anyway, where they state what they want to happen to them if they become terminally ill and the family can't afford to continue trying to fight for them... but even with these, there's a lot of gray area in the interpretation of certain things.

the problem, as i see it, is there's no way they can pass a bill that would be able to cater to ALL of these cases, because they're all different in their own right.

It had to be the next week to add some irony/dramatic effect.

I always thought that if we killed people because we couldn't heal them, then it would discourage developments of new medicine and treatment, as what would be the point - any hardship and you can just end your life etc. ?

While your arguement is valid in many cases it is not in the case of Terry Schiavo.

Her cortex is so damaged that it is actually liquid. The only way to save her would to be to replace many parts of the brain, which is not possible with current technology.

Asalaamalikum...

my presumption is that it would be wrong to remove the feeding tube beacuse in essence you will be killing her by starvation, its not up to us when to end a life, that decision belongs only up to Allah as we are all aware am sure. But it is defo a complicated case as its belelived she is dead already not in the literal sense ofcourse.  But i am against any sort of mercy killing, yes sure she doesn't no who she is, where she is etc.... but it would be wrong for a man to decided when her life should end.

walikumsalaam

I have thought about this from a religious standpoint. Your point is valid and makes sense, however my question would be that wouldn't she be dead already if we left such cases up to Allah and nature? Since it was human intervention in the first place that put her on life supporting devices. Is that going against the will of nature?