Islamic Forum
Marshman

Western Perceptions Of Islam

I am not a Muslim but I am very concerned that the way Islam is portrayed is not helpful to our communities. The teddy-bear naming controversy in Sudan is a case in point. Obviously, this case has aroused strong opinions but I think the way the argument is being conducted in Britain does not pay enough heed to the difference in our cultures and this is very damaging. I think this example from my local newspaper gives a very wrong impression of a 'blood-stained' religion. I know this is very far from the truth but is enough being done to challenge these ideas?

I can't post a link, but the article is here (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetthestar.co.uk/columnists/Paul-License-Speaking-Out-Muslim.3542375.jp"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetthestar.co.uk/columnists/Paul-L...slim.3542375.jp[/url]

link determined to be beneficial and allowed.

-seacow

PropellerAds

Some beliefs don't deserve respect. Thinking a woman should be executed because she allowed children to name a child's toy "Mohammed" is one such belief. From what I've heard, many Muslims in Britain are condemning the calls for execution too. Certainly, Muslims who endorse such barbarism are an embarrassment to anyone who believes Islam should be a religion of peace.

Nobody wants the muslims to clean up their religion more than non-muslims. I am not muslim but would love to see this faith first admit there is a massive problem with extremist then after admitting it find ways to clean it up. I would love to see a peaceful Muslim society but what I am seeing is the extremist side of the muslim faith taking over. Peaceful muslims all over the world are just rolling over and letting their religion get dragged through the mud by these extremist. Please clean up the muslim faith it is getting harder and harder to accept it

By the way I have looked on the forum and cant find one thread on how to fix the muslim faith, not 1 thread on what to do with all the people and groups killing in the name of Islam. these extremist are ruining your religion that has been around so long. Doesn't anybody here want to kick the extremist out and change the perception of Islam??????

Look here's my point, I don't agree with the muslim faith but i don't judge people for what they believe, I just don't understand why mulims are letting the extremist run wild under the muslim banner and ruining it for the "moderate" peacefull muslims. It almost makes me think there are no moderates and that the extremist point of view is the true Islam.

There is nothing to fix in religion itself. People interpret in different ways, and it depends on them if they want to interpret it in the worng way, then they just do it. And if you think logically, christians are no better. The US killing innocent muslims in Iraq, then it was Afghanistan. Is this not a Terrorism? Why do so many people attach the name 'terrorist' to muslims only? Do you think A very big part of christian political leaders dont deserve such a name??

We aren't talking about Christians here, I am talking about mulims cleaning up their image. 10,000 muslim related attacks around the world since 9/11

There is nothing to fix in religion itself. People interpret in different ways, and it depends on them if they want to interpret it in the worng way, then they just do it. And if you think logically, christians are no better. The US killing innocent muslims in Iraq, then it was Afghanistan. Is this not a Terrorism? Why do so many people attach the name 'terrorist' to muslims only? Do you think A very big part of christian political leaders dont deserve such a name??

How and why do you refer Christians to American army soldiers, how do you know they are Christian? Are they killing in the name of Jesus?

There cant be dialect if you keep blaming others for problems. You didn't even answer my questions.

Who are they, the USA, oficially, is it not a Christian country? what is the religion of its leaders? I do not refer to the army itsef, the leaders of the country send their soldiers to fight for what they believe it is wrong. The soldiers do their job, same like a doctor istreating a patient, or a teacher is teaching children. I think the US politicians refer to God quite often, they say something like 'God save America' or whatsoever, i am not sure... and naturally, they represent their religion, same as muslims represent Islam. The 'problem; here isthat muslims' faith is stronger than that of the christians, so they use the name of Allah more often than the christians use the name of Jesus. In religion itself, there is nothing to be fixed.

another question. Muslims have a strong sense of brotherhood. If you've noticed, in this forum and elsewhere, people call one another brothers and sisters. That is because we, people, believe, that our religion unites us. So immagine someone would be killing your real brother, would you be standing still then? Or would you try to save him or do sm kind of revenge to the murderer? answer yourself, and you will get the answer why muslims fight back.

Its All propaganda against the Muslims. Learn Islam. Peace.

May Allah (swt) Guide all of you.Ameen.

Peace.

I am a revert to Islam, and in my humble opinion something should be done to make these extremists understand that what they are doing is wrong. I don't like that they walk around doing terrible things in the name of Allah. And they say that their acts are just. :no:

There are same problems in christian and jewish groups. Not only in Islam. We should keep that in mind too. :sl:

I think that it will be really hard to stop such groups because they think they are doing right, and if one goes to tell them "brother, shouldn't u do this instead of that?" well, I don't know what would happen. I could go and say it to some of that kind of groups leaders if I would have a chance! But obviously I am not a terrorist and I don't know any, so it's hard to say anything to them. :j:

If you have an idea how this thing could be fixed, then share it please. :sl:

I have only made videos about Islam and wrote articles and stories and posted things about Islam which are true. I don't know what else could I do.

Allah knows the best. May Allah open peoples hearts for Islam. Ameen.

Peace.

I am a revert to Islam, and in my humble opinion something should be done to make these extremists understand that what they are doing is wrong. I don't like that they walk around doing terrible things in the name of Allah. And they say that their acts are just.

There are same problems in christian and jewish groups. Not only in Islam. We should keep that in mind too.

I think that it will be really hard to stop such groups because they think they are doing right, and if one goes to tell them "brother, shouldn't u do this instead of that?" well, I don't know what would happen. I could go and say it to some of that kind of groups leaders if I would have a chance! But obviously I am not a terrorist and I don't know any, so it's hard to say anything to them.

If you have an idea how this thing could be fixed, then share it please.

I have only made videos about Islam and wrote articles and stories and posted things about Islam which are true. I don't know what else could I do.

Allah knows the best. May Allah open peoples hearts for Islam. Ameen.

I totally agree with you dear sister , May Allah lights your life with happiness : )

By the way I have looked on the forum and cant find one thread on how to fix the muslim faith, not 1 thread on what to do with all the people and groups killing in the name of Islam.

The best way to clean up, as you put it, the Muslim community is to establish a rightfully Islamic nation. But do you think that anyone would allow this to happen? See Somalia and the Islamic Courts as an example. After 15 years of complete anarchy in which the country was controlled by warlords, where crime prevailed and the weak had absolutely no rights or power, the Islamic Courts finally managed to take over and then began to rebuild the country from scratch. Less than 6 months later, the U.S urged Ethiopia to attack Somalia for fear of "extremism". What is happening now? The country is worse than it was to begin with.

If you want us to make changes, convince your governments to quit interfering with our lives.

Salam.

I think we have to remember that 99% of Muslims are not like this. There are extremists in every religion - Christianity has them, too. They make the rest of the religion look bad, because a few people happen to hold a belief not shared by the majority.

By the way I have looked on the forum and cant find one thread on how to fix the muslim faith, not 1 thread on what to do with all the people and groups killing in the name of Islam. these extremist are ruining your religion that has been around so long. Doesn't anybody here want to kick the extremist out and change the perception of Islam??????

Look here's my point, I don't agree with the muslim faith but i don't judge people for what they believe, I just don't understand why mulims are letting the extremist run wild under the muslim banner and ruining it for the "moderate" peacefull muslims. It almost makes me think there are no moderates and that the extremist point of view is the true Islam.

One way to help fix the problem would be if people didnt make the word terrorism synonymous with Islam or muslim. Any degree of terrorism is wrong and sinful. I knew this a a teenager. When I learnt that Norman Tebbit"s wife had been blown up by the IRA. I didnt think any less of Christianity or Christians. That may have been because i had read both the Bible and the Qu"ran. Whilst I accept that I dont know either of them 100%, I know in principle they offer the same guidance.

The fact that all societies are made up of extremists, fighting for or against one cause or another, doesnt mean they represent views or actions of everyone else. Each book teaches you to learn yourself and teach others.

I recently read a quote that may put things into perspective

"How do you feel about Hitler sharing yours?"

Alleged response by Muhammed Ali, to a reporter who asked how he felt about sharing the Islamic faith with the suspects of the World Trade Center terrorist attack.

Some beliefs don't deserve respect. Thinking a woman should be executed because she allowed children to name a child's toy "Mohammed" is one such belief. From what I've heard, many Muslims in Britain are condemning the calls for execution too. Certainly, Muslims who endorse such barbarism are an embarrassment to anyone who believes Islam should be a religion of peace.

Hello

The idea of someone wanting to name a object for any reason after a religious figure is questionable.

They have the right to do it if they want, but it will in no way hurt real Islam.

There are many people interpreting many things incorrectly, do you really think we should give them so much attention.

food for thought.

By the way I have looked on the forum and cant find one thread on how to fix the muslim faith,

The faith or religion is not in question here, so you will never find such a thread.

what to do with all the people and groups killing in the name of Islam.

There are people and groups killing in the name of many things, should we give them so much publicity.

They are only trying to attract attention to themselves, and if you killed them then you start a conspiracy theory, probably even create false martyrs..think about it.

these extremist are ruining your religion that has been around so long

NO ONE can fustrate Allah (swt), NO ONE can ruin Islam, but they can ruin your perception of Islam, because you judge religion by people and thier actions.

Doesn't anybody here want to kick the extremist out and change the perception of Islam??????

You also sound like a extremist, there is no black and white in ignorance, people will continue to do what they want until the last day...read your christian prophecies.

It almost makes me think there are no moderates and that the extremist point of view is the true Islam.

It does not almost make you think this, you do this this, if not you would not even mention it. but nice try there.

Listen my friend, there are many things happening in the world, you must forget all that garbage and take time to learn, then you can find the motives (or the why) and somethings you will learn to just hate in your heart, because no action on that issue is better than action.

Please study a little Islam for real..and you will come to understand what I am talking about.

Take care

One way to help fix the problem would be if people didnt make the word terrorism synonymous with Islam or muslim. Any degree of terrorism is wrong and sinful. I knew this a a teenager. When I learnt that Norman Tebbit"s wife had been blown up by the IRA. I didnt think any less of Christianity or Christians. That may have been because i had read both the Bible and the Qu"ran. Whilst I accept that I dont know either of them 100%, I know in principle they offer the same guidance.

The fact that all societies are made up of extremists, fighting for or against one cause or another, doesnt mean they represent views or actions of everyone else. Each book teaches you to learn yourself and teach others.

I recently read a quote that may put things into perspective

"How do you feel about Hitler sharing yours?"

Alleged response by Muhammed Ali, to a reporter who asked how he felt about sharing the Islamic faith with the suspects of the World Trade Center terrorist attack.

Salaam walaikum

my dear brother, ther is no compulsion in Islam

One way to help fix the problem would be if people didnt make the word terrorism synonymous with Islam or muslim.

People will do and say what ever they want, let them, we believers know the truth, Islam does not need defending.

Any degree of terrorism is wrong and sinful.

This is absolute truth.

That may have been because i had read both the Bible and the Qu"ran.

This does not need to be said, there is no comparison, Allah (swt) promised to protect the Quran only.

I know in principle they offer the same guidance.

When the bible was in its original form.

The fact that all societies are made up of extremists, fighting for or against one cause or another, doesnt mean they represent views or actions of everyone else.

They already know this, most non believers like to run in circles, instead of learning.

Each book teaches you to learn yourself and teach others.

This is not the aim of non believers, this would actually jepodize thier true intensions.

Please brother, becareful of the motives that the non believer uses to insite you into useless conversations.

Walaikum Salaam

Its All propaganda against the Muslims. Learn Islam. Peace.

May Allah (swt) Guide all of you.Ameen.

Salaam Walaikum

Please try to wet thier appetites alittle more than that, speak words that reach thier souls.

Walaikum Salaam

Who are they, the USA, oficially, is it not a Christian country? what is the religion of its leaders? I do not refer to the army itsef, the leaders of the country send their soldiers to fight for what they believe it is wrong. The soldiers do their job, same like a doctor istreating a patient, or a teacher is teaching children. I think the US politicians refer to God quite often, they say something like 'God save America' or whatsoever, i am not sure... and naturally, they represent their religion, same as muslims represent Islam. The 'problem; here isthat muslims' faith is stronger than that of the christians, so they use the name of Allah more often than the christians use the name of Jesus. In religion itself, there is nothing to be fixed.

another question. Muslims have a strong sense of brotherhood. If you've noticed, in this forum and elsewhere, people call one another brothers and sisters. That is because we, people, believe, that our religion unites us. So immagine someone would be killing your real brother, would you be standing still then? Or would you try to save him or do sm kind of revenge to the murderer? answer yourself, and you will get the answer why muslims fight back.

Salaam Walaikum

so they use the name of Allah more often than the christians use the name of Jesus.

If you mean that the christians and their government use the word Allah (swt) more I think thats great sooner or later it will sink in.

If you mean that muslims use the word of thier creator more I say Alhumdu Allah

Walaikum Salaam

I am not a Muslim but I am very concerned that the way Islam is portrayed is not helpful to our communities. The teddy-bear naming controversy in Sudan is a case in point. Obviously, this case has aroused strong opinions but I think the way the argument is being conducted in Britain does not pay enough heed to the difference in our cultures and this is very damaging. I think this example from my local newspaper gives a very wrong impression of a 'blood-stained' religion. I know this is very far from the truth but is enough being done to challenge these ideas?

I can't post a link, but the article is here ######thestar.co.uk/columnists/Paul-License-Speaking-Out-Muslim.3542375.jp

Peace

I know this is very far from the truth but is enough being done to challenge these ideas?

In that you are concerned, the challenge has already begun.. more people should speak out that are non Islamic believers. There is nothing wrong with defending mutual respect, but it is alot stronger, when non Islamic believers do it.

Peace

Why do the westerners think that what is happening in Palestine,Sudan,Chechnya is terrorism.Firstly how would you define terorism?Acording to me anything that encroaches the basic rights of people is terorism and extremism and most of you would agreethat if this defn is applied then there would be no greater terrorist than america and its allies.None of us is blind to what is happening in iraq,afghanistan,sudan,checnya,etc.The problem is that america thinks that it has a right to interfere in everybodys business esp muslim countries.Arunadithi roy,winner of the booker prize puts it this way"America has control over the food we eat and the water we drink,the air we breath and the thoughts we think".And the reason for this is that america knows that the biggest threat to them is Islam,because it has an ans to every problem of their people.Hence you are seeing all these scathing attacks on Islam.They are scared that Islam as a social,politiocal,economical,judicial,moral system is a threat to their vested interests and what else would you expect the religion of truth to be. Now let me come to the attack on the twin towers;as it was from this incident that muslims were branded as terrorists.I request each and every one of you to visiot this site "9/11 truth(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"and find the truth for yourself that 9/11 was infact staged.Even the celebrated writer Robert Fisk and the former president of Italy have question the official report.Lastly the QURAN says that "If you save the life of a single human it is as if you have saved the entire humanity;and if you take the life of even a single person it is as if you have killed the entire humanity"This is the real Islam completely different as to what is projected by the western media.

Why do the westerners think that what is happening in Palestine,Sudan,Chechnya is terrorism.Firstly how would you define terorism?Acording to me anything that encroaches the basic rights of people is terorism and extremism and most of you would agreethat if this defn is applied then there would be no greater terrorist than america and its allies.None of us is blind to what is happening in iraq,afghanistan,sudan,checnya,etc.The problem is that america thinks that it has a right to interfere in everybodys business esp muslim countries.Arunadithi roy,winner of the booker prize puts it this way"America has control over the food we eat and the water we drink,the air we breath and the thoughts we think".And the reason for this is that america knows that the biggest threat to them is Islam,because it has an ans to every problem of their people.Hence you are seeing all these scathing attacks on Islam.They are scared that Islam as a social,politiocal,economical,judicial,moral system is a threat to their vested interests and what else would you expect the religion of truth to be. Now let me come to the attack on the twin towers;as it was from this incident that muslims were branded as terrorists.I request each and every one of you to visiot this site "9/11 truth(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"and find the truth for yourself that 9/11 was infact staged.Even the celebrated writer Robert Fisk and the former president of Italy have question the official report.Lastly the QURAN says that "If you save the life of a single human it is as if you have saved the entire humanity;and if you take the life of even a single person it is as if you have killed the entire humanity"This is the real Islam completely different as to what is projected by the western media.

Salaam Walaikum

I am very please that you are aware and concerned, may Allah bless you.

Why do the westerners think that what is happening in Palestine, Sudan, Chechnya is terrorism?

The people in general, with the exception of only a few, are in the belief that if a country is not practicing democracy (by US Standards) has more serious problems then them; this is one basic teaching in US. (Freedom, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness as one sees fit). They say how you can expect better behavior or living conditions without these core values.

Firstly how would you define terrorism? According to me anything that encroaches the basic rights of people is terrorism and extremism and most of you would agree that if this definition is applied then there would be no greater terrorist than America and its allies.

There is no compulsion in Islam; therefore there is no compulsion in living life.

Being that the US, is the supposed super power and preaches that they want peace for all people and countries, many people can not comprehend that their use of force is a terrorist act. Also what they fail to see is that it is a greater terror to use force on a under developed country.

The US feeds the concepts that blind its own people thru many Medias so that it can justify its actions. We are talking about hundreds of years of conditioning; the people in US weigh the benefit of their presumed rights, liberties and pleasures as a mean to judge other countries conditions and standards.

Poor example: I have the right to do as I please; these people are force into how they live!

(This is a direct attack on Islam because this is the basic standard for believing people). Their clothes and food and house design are not in question here it is the belief system, for this system governs how a people live.

None of us is blind to what is happening in iraq, afghanistan, sudan, checnya, etc. The problem is that america thinks that it has a right to interfere in everybodys business especialy muslim countries.

Most of our Ummah is blind to what is happening, in its underlying affect, though US agenda is to control all tangible assets of a country, they use the people from the same country to invite them to aid them to change the superficial issues, which is the only issues they can comprehend or care about. Most if not all Believing countries are influenced by western beliefs and people willing to manipulate, humiliate and kill to preserve them, because they have put a greater value on them then Islam. (Many hundreds of years of conditioning)

Arunadithi Roy, winner of the booker prize puts it this way" America has control over the food we eat and the water we drink, the air we breath and the thoughts we think". And the reason for this is that America knows that the biggest threat to them is Islam, because it has an answer to every problem of their people.

I do not know who Arunadithi Roy is, but we have to investigate the how, (this happen), they have achieved this goal of seizing all tangible goods and how they control and distribute them. Islam is not a threat (terror) to anyone who understands it, and Islam does not exist to threaten (terrorize) anyone, Islam is to invite people to a better way of life, threw Intelligent and analytical thought, There is no compulsion in religion. How the Kafir sees us does not help in the dawa, actually can be interpreted as a guilt phobia.

Hence you are seeing all these scathing! Attacks on Islam! They are scared that Islam as a social, political, economical, judicial and moral system *is a threat* to their vested interests and what else would you expect the religion of truth to be.

*It is the PROVEN best and only Alternative for the benefit of all mankind*

! You can attack a people, there tangible assets but Islam can never be attacked, nor can it be harmed!

Now let me come to the attack on the twin towers; as it was from this incident that Muslims were branded as terrorists.

Believers were branded as terrorist, to weaken the dawa. There are so called believers who approved of these actions and even aided it. If true believers are branded then no one wants to associate with them, hence the proper information is hindered not stopped completely.

I request each and every one of you to visit this site "9/11 truth (contact admin if it’s a beneficial link)"and find the truth for yourself that 9/11 was in fact staged.

There are many versions to this theory, some even labeled conspiracy, Allah (swt) knows best

There are more important issues like profoundly understanding Aqeedah and its values, reviewing our basics (we should never become bored with it), to expose the bad is Alhumdu Allah but to stagnate in it for the purpose of dialog with non believers is not correct.

Even the celebrated writer Robert Fisk and the former president of Italy have questioned the official report.

When the general public speaks against the injustices to mankind it is a great thing, but if they are really so concern why not use this energy across the board as it is said to change their own lives and countries to the best of all things (Islam). Not if, but for sure none of these things would occur. If they are smart enough to rule a country and write books, then what stops them from accepting the best in all things (Islam). Are there motives for what they say or conclude genuine? Or is it a token gesture to be politically correct? Expose them correctly.

Lastly the QURAN says that "If you save the life of a single human it is as if you have saved the entire humanity; and if you take the life of even a single person it is as if you have killed the entire humanity" This is the real Islam completely different as to what is projected by the western media.

Our own people are influenced by these media sources, more so than the information of there deen. Hundreds of years of confusion they only see the superficial issues not the hidden agenda, show this with the proof from Islam and they will react correctly, if only to hate these things in there heart.

Giving so much attention to these issues does not help the people if they can not understand the WHY of it according to Islam and then concentrate on the Islamic point of view

To protect them from the next foolish incident that arises.

Walaikum Salaam Warahmatula Wabarkatu

The best way to clean up, as you put it, the Muslim community is to establish a rightfully Islamic nation. But do you think that anyone would allow this to happen?

I think that is putting the cart before the horse.

You speak of a "rightfully Islamic nation" as though it is simple. You seem to believe that there is a unified belief in what an Islamic country should be, how it should be governed, and what its policies would be. The reality is, though, that the Ummah is not even close enough to being to unified to have "rightfully Islamic nation".

Muslims today are still much to distracted about issues such as race (Arab/Persian), sects (Shia/Sunni), other religions (rampant hatred of Jews), and other things to even begin to be ready for an ideal Islamic nation. If a nation started by Muhammed himself could hardly make it a 100 years without corruption and civil war what makes anyone think that it could happen in todays world?

The Muslim communities need to come together and decide what they stand for before one should even beging to talk of starting an "Islamic" nation. Do you want an Islamic nation in the mold of Saudi Arabia? How about the Taliban?

How can you build a rightfully Islamic nation when the builders cannot even agree on the blueprint?

What Muslims need to do is start making decisions. What does Islam stand for? Will Muslims act to stand up for this and help to fix the problems they have, or will they continue to bury their heads in the sand? I know some find it much easier to blame others (i.e US, israel, etc) for all their problems, or to simply explain away anything by saying "well, those people really weren't Muslims", deny that bad things are done by Muslims (9/11 conspiracy theorists), or worst of all make excuses for those that give Islam a bad reputation by killing in the name of Allah.

Do Muslims want to be represented by the Bin Ladens, Sauds, Musharrafs and Arafats of the world? If not, then who do they think truly represents their beliefs?

I hear plenty of what Muslims are against in the news, but what are they for? Who are the true Muslims, the ones that want to live together with non-Muslims or the ones that say not to socialize with non-Muslims? The ones that condone or excuse bombing civilians or the ones that condemn them? The ones that look at each other as Pakistanis, Arabs and Africans or the ones that don't judge people based on their ancestors? The ones who believe in free press and that criticism should be allowed, or those that don't? The ones who believe in true religious freedom for non-Muslims or the ones that don't?

Until these questions and a myriad of others are agreed upon by the vast majority of Muslims there will be no chance for a rightfully Islamic nation to exist.