Islamic Forum
Tash

Teacher Jailed For Letting Kids Name Bear Mohammed

KHARTOUM, Sudan (CNN) -- Hundreds of angry protesters, some waving ceremonial swords from trucks equipped with loud speakers, gathered Friday outside the presidential palace to denounce a teacher whose class named a teddy bear "Mohammed" -- some calling for her execution.

1 of 2 The protesters, which witnesses said numbered close to 1,000, swore to fight in the name of their prophet.

Gillian Gibbons, 54, was given 15 days in jail late Thursday after she was convicted of insulting religion. She was cleared of charges of inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs, her lawyer, Ali Ajeb, said.

Ajeb said they planned to appeal the sentence, which begins from the date she was detained, Nov. 25. Including Friday, she has 10 more days in jail.

British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said he was "extremely disappointed" that the charges were not dismissed.

PropellerAds

Yes, it is extremely crazy. Why did she name the teddy as muhammed. She would have named the teddy as Jesus.

It really makes we muslims sad.

peace

This is what makes us Muslims look bad unfortunately.

UMMM.. She's just a teacher who named a Teddy bear Mohammed. She wasn't trying to insult the prophet. Let her go.. :sl:

Hi all

I think you missed the point Ahamed. Call it Jesus and how many Christians would call for the teacher to be put to death? not many i bet. Man call it what ever you like ,call it God. Its still no reason for all this. This is stupidity at its worse.

Want to lose the extremist view people have of Islam then stop this sort of thing.

Peace all :sl:

Yes, it is extremely crazy. Why did she name the teddy as muhammed. She would have named the teddy as Jesus.

I believe she didnt actally name it anything. The students named it and she just said okay.

:sl:

Assalamu Alaikum, I also read that her choice of name was "Faris", but most of the kids (20 out of 23) wanted to call the bear Muhammad, so she gave in.

I don't know what to say, Maybe more wisdom on the teacher's side, and understanding and more tolerence on whoever is trying to create a mountain out of a mole hill, would have solved the situation in a better and Right way.

If the story in the link is true, then before blaming a Non Muslim Teacher, I would repremand my children for suggesting the name Muhammad for a (Class Mascot) Teddy Bear, and ask myself what did I teach my children at home?

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettimesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article2951262.ece"]Source:[/url]

No offence intended, Salaams.

Edited by umAhmad

I find myself embarrased at the extreme measures that some Muslims are taking. Perhaps she simply didn't know that allowing her students to name the bear after prophet Muhammad was a bad thing. Plus we can't always call for the death of anyone who says anything offensive about us or our beloved prophet. After all, Allah WILL serve justice.

Salam.

Edited by Layna

I find myself embarrased at the extreme measures that some Muslims are taking. Perhaps she simply didn't know that allowing her students to name the bear after prophet Muhammad was a bad thing. Plus we can't always call for the death of anyone who says anything offensive about us or our beloved prophet. After all, Allah WILL serve justice.

Salam.

Do you think what she did was wrong? Should the punishment be worse? What about the UK Muslims who are protesting the protest (you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetguardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-7119346,00.html).

Thanks,

Do you think what she did was wrong? Should the punishment be worse? What about the UK Muslims who are protesting the protest (you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetguardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-7119346,00.html).

Thanks,

Regardless of whether or not it was a bad thing (which is something only those with knowledge about Islam can understand), I really doubt that she intended to insult prophet Muhammad. She was most likely being just a teacher.

Edit: And by "only those with knowledge about Islam", I mean the scholars.

Salam.

Edited by Layna

after reading the article fully,i really feel that the teacher meant no harm.after all 20 kids voted out of 30.besides they named it after one of the most popular kids in the class-Mohamed.they are kids.perhaps they did not understand the consequences of naming the bear Mohamed.and then there was a non-muslim teacher.most probably she didnot think that naming the teddy bear Mohamed was something bad.considering everything, i really think that the teacher did not mean to name the teddy bear after our beloved Prophet Mohamed (saw).

Allow children to call a Teddy bear the most common name on the planet?

Enough is enough. Off with her head!

This is a cultural difference that we would never comprehend. Besides, It is their country and they can make the laws. If I worked in Austria, I would be careful enough not to question the Holocaust, or if I worked in France I would be careful not to deny the Armenian genocide, otherwise I would end up in jail or pay a heavy fine.

This teacher is a British, and she should not expect British sensibilities from the locals.

When I went to Papua, I made sure that I won't offend their customs and all those tribal rules. I tried to learn sensitive issues and etc. All of those rules seem ridiculous, but that's their land. They didn't force me to come.

Wassalam,

Y

This is a cultural difference that we would never comprehend. Besides, It is their country and they can make the laws. If I worked in Austria, I would be careful enough not to question the Holocaust, or if I worked in France I would be careful not to deny the Armenian genocide, otherwise I would end up in jail or pay a heavy fine.

This teacher is a British, and she should not expect British sensibilities from the locals.

When I went to Papua, I made sure that I won't offend their customs and all those tribal rules. I tried to learn sensitive issues and etc. All of those rules seem ridiculous, but that's their land. They didn't force me to come.

Wassalam,

Y

Well said Yasnov.

One point, If the students would have voted for naming the teddy bear as JESUS, or blair or Bush what would have been her reaction. The teacher is responsible for the problem.

Assalamu Alaikum, I understand what you are saying Yasnov, and I agree with you, you have to obey the Law of the Land you are living in, and if you break any rules you have to suffer the consequences.

What bothers me in this case is, it was the children's choice to call the teddy bear Muhammad, after one of the smartest boy in the class. The Teacher wanted to call the Teddy bear "Faris", it was 20 out of 23 children who insisted on the name Muhammad, Should'nt the authorities question the parents of those 20 children why their children insisted on the name Muhammad?

I would have understood if they gave the name of Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam to a live animal or something disgusting, that would be something quite different, this here is a cuddly stuffed Toy Teddy Bear. I mean I would not want my children to use any names like that for their.

You have a point though, I know of a Canadian who was lashed 15 times for throwing a cigarette butt or something small on the street in Singapore.

It's sad, when so many laws of Allah are broken by Muslims, and something like this is made into a big issue.

Assalamu Alaikum, umAhmad.

Assalamu Alaikum

What bothers me in this case is, it was the children's choice to call the teddy bear Muhammad, after one of the smartest boy in the class. The Teacher wanted to call the Teddy bear "Faris", it was 20 out of 23 children who insisted on the name Muhammad, Should'nt the authorities question the parents of those 20 children why their children insisted on the name Muhammad?

Wa'alaikum salam,

Yes, this is called injustice. Something which is condemned in Islam, be it committed towards Muslim or non-Muslims.

Wassalam,

Y

Peace all,

This matter has been blown out of proportion.

It almost looks like people are looking for any excuse to cause violence in the name of religion! Look at it this way; people in sudan are fed up with the wars going on and mostly people look to the US/West in general as a cause of the violence in the darfur region.. there is pent up frustration against the west in general and this teddy bear incident is just a small spark to intice further demonstration of their frustration.

I dont think its got anything to do with the teacher itself but the fact that shes British. I also think the British teacher was unaware of the cultural traditions of the land. It would have helped if she was more familiar with the local traditions.

However all in all, this is gone to extreme sillyness now and its just weird people are calling for her death! Just gives us more bad image.. :sl:!!

Edited by Hasib

Asalaam Alaykum

I agree.. It's totally been blown out of proportion and because of this it gives some of the media a chance to show Muslims in a negative spotlight! Unfortunatly some people don't actually find out the full story... so all they may have heard is a teacher in Sudan names teddy bear after Prophet Muhammed (saw) and insults Islam... and then we see all these protest of 'she should be killed' etc etc...

If the teacher was unaware of the rules and cultural teaching of the land she should have been made aware and if she was aware and did this with the intention to insult the Prophet Muhammed (saw) (which i personally doubt) maybe she should have been made to leave her job or told to go back to the uk??

If the story in the link is true, then before blaming a Non Muslim Teacher, I would repremand my children for suggesting the name Muhammad for a (Class Mascot) Teddy Bear, and ask myself what did I teach my children at home?

(you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yettimesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article2951262.ece"]Source:[/url]

I agree with ummAhmed!!

Thats just my 2 cents worth... :sl:

Wasalaam

This is what makes us Muslims look bad unfortunately.

Assalamualikum

Why do you care about what the kuffar think of us....

Salam.

ASA

I don't know where in the qur'an or sayings of our prophet that someone should be punished or kill because they named a toy bear Muhammed. Muhammed is the name of our prophet sure nuff. But, Muhammed is a common name that many people wore even before Muhammed becamed the prophet (peace upon him).

The person did not name the teddy bear specifying it was referencing Muhammedur Rasoolullah. She did not name the bear Muhammed the Messenger of Allah. She only said Muhammed. Again, how many examples do we have in the history of Prophet Muhammed where enemies said and did all kinds of annoying things towards the prophet but he did not say kill them. In fact according to my understanding the prophet never defended himself against attacks upon his character or personal attacks. He only got on the defense when the religion of Islam was being attacked. When the enemies did everything they could to stop isalm's called to faith.

Do anyone recalled when the Prophets nieghbor would put things (obstacles) at the prophets door step every day and the prophet never went to the nieghbor to complain about it? Later as the report goes - one day the prophet come to his door and there was no more obtacles (I think it was trash) at his door for him to get rid of. Therefore, he went to the nieghbors house to inquire about them and found that the person who did those things to him had passed away. Upon hearing that the prophet prayer for forgiveness for that person.

We have the example at Taif where the youth stoned him and the angel ask the prophet about letting the angel destroy that city and the prophet said no, for that maybe their future generation will become muslims.

The point is we to respond to these things with sober minds especially in the claimate we are in now. All we are doing is giving the real enemies of Islam more amunition for their propaganda against Islam and muslims.

Personally, I think maybe the person felt like what better and most noble name that they could name their bear than Muhammed. Perhaps they were thinking the Muhammed is the best of names to give. However, the problem muslims are having the name is giving to an animal figure. But, we must remember Allah is the Creator of everything and everything Allah created is good and excellent.

Assalamualikum

Why do you care about what the kuffar think of us....

ASA

That's another problem. Everybody that is not a muslim shoudn't be branded as a "Kuffar".

ASA

That's another problem. Everybody that is not a muslim shoudn't be branded as a "Kuffar".

Assalamualikum

fine...lets call them 'non-muslims'...what the difference....they're all united against us...yet some of us still just want to impress them.

anyways sorry for going off topic

Assalamualikum

fine...lets call them 'non-muslims'...what the difference....they're all united against us...yet some of us still just want to impress them.

anyways sorry for going off topic

[not true. there are many who are non-muslims that are our alies. dont they think every non-muslim are against us. you need to widen your circles. /quote]

Assalamualikum

brother..who is not against us...everyone is...

nato...thats europe....russia...china ...india...australia...america...all the nations are against us...and we shouldnt be worried about what they think of us...they'll hate us untill we leave our religion

you know what really sucks. the stupid, yes they are stupid, sudanese protesters are busy shouting for the death of the british teacher, but down the block in DARFUR, 1,000s of there BROTHERS and SISTERS are being killed, raped, pillaged, massacred BY THERE OWN MUSLIM BROTHERS.

Muslims killing in Muslims in Darfur, Sudan and these idiots are busy being mad about some teddy bear!

AstagfirAllah! May Allah guide them and us all!