Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Muslimah900

"masjid"

:D

why did the word "mosque" used to be converted to "masjid" on this forum?

sorry if this question has already been answered, i couldn't find it by the 'search' tool.

Edited by saufia

PropellerAds

Perhaps because the word Masjid comes from the times of the Crusades when i think it was the Spanish who said they'd squash the Muslims like mosquitos.....sounds like "mosque" if u see what i mean. And the place where Muslims pray was given this name. Obviously it has stuck but because of it's supposed original derivation and the fact that in arabic it is 'masjid' anyway, i think more people feel comfortable referring to it as 'masjid.'

However, this author begs to differ:

My research found no indication that Masjid was derived from the word ‘mosquito’. Regarding the appearance of the term Masjid in the English language, scholars suggest it was around 1711 AD. This is far after King Ferdinand and the Crusades. It might be that the term ‘mezquita,’ used to describe a masjid in old Spanish, came from the word ‘mosquito’ and then subsequently the term ‘mezquita’ was used to form the term Masjid. However, this would not mean that the term Masjid was developed as a result of the story you related.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.renaissance.com.pk/febq52y3.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.renaissance.com.pk/febq52y3.html[/url]

That's what i understand as the logic :D

Perhaps because the word Masjid comes from the times of the Crusades when i think it was the Spanish who said they'd squash the Muslims like mosquitos.....sounds like "mosque" if u see what i mean. And the place where Muslims pray was given this name. Obviously it has stuck but because of it's supposed original derivation and the fact that in arabic it is 'masjid' anyway,  i think more people feel comfortable referring to it as 'masjid.'

However, this author begs to differ:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.renaissance.com.pk/febq52y3.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.renaissance.com.pk/febq52y3.html[/url]

That's what i understand as the logic :D

:D for the reply. it's quite interesting. i never realised the closeness of the word 'mosque' to 'mosquito'. how sad!

the spanish word for mosquito is "el mosquito" and the spanish word for Masjid is "la mezquita"