Islamic Forum
Raja

Islam in Spain - Espenia

salam alikum,

i was just watching a program on spain and its arctitechural history so not suprisingly Islamic rule was the key agender.

here is the famour Masjid sorry dont have a good picture but its beautiful and massive! and at the hands of the kufar as a muesem

mezquita.jpg

islamic history is very visiable in spain. the chruches were Masjid, if you look at the structure of these Masjid there are bits from the old Masjid still preasent.

its just a shame they Islamic rullers didnt leave a nation of muslims in spain

:D

More pictures of Spain from this August. These ones are of the beautiful Alhambra :D

img40511mm.jpg

img40525ca.jpg

img40557kl.jpg

img40570bt.jpg

img40583ty.jpg

Edited by ummammaar

:D As-Salamu Aleykum to everybody.

My Spanish name is José María but my muslim name is Yusuf. I am really Spanish, so if you have any inquiry about my country, please contact me. I will be very please to answer you if I can.

See you soon.

Yusuf.

Asslamulaikum Brother Yusuf :D

Regarding Spain, im interested in the Muslim population down their, is their a strong muslim population in big cities like Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla

And is Islam in Spain showing signs of rapid growth?

Jazakallah Khair

Asslamulaikum Brother Yusuf :D

Regarding Spain, im interested in the Muslim population down their, is their a strong muslim population in big cities like Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla

And is Islam in Spain showing signs of rapid growth?

Jazakallah Khair

Peace

I am making the move to Barcelona Spain from France , i have been going to Spain allot in the past year.

I have to say that most people in spain, especially from Granada and south have arabic history with them, basically spanish was the new spoken latin which replaced arabic during Spain's 800 years of Islam.

I do feel at home in spain, not Barcelona but Granada or Valencia, and in-fact there are many words which come from arabic, kind of like the first door from arabic to latin.

Not to insult anyone, but to say someone has spanish blood is backwards when it is just latin speaking arabs or south asians, besides, if everyone had the same blood they would be retarded.

But spain with the history if Islam and what the Moores left behind is a glimpse of the Islam which influenced the west most.

Gravity water fountains

Designed Gardens

Public Hospitals which also specialized in certain things

Public Libraries

I can make a list of things that the Crusades found in Spain and took to Europe that is so long we may have to make a new topic.

Assalaamu 'alaikum,

YouTube has an interesting documentary called 'Islam in Europe: When The Moors Ruled in Europe', available (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.youtube(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/watch?v=E5dFy06nLuQ"]here[/url]. First part of eleven is below. Presented by a historian called (www.)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.bettanyhughes.co.uk/welcome.htm"]Bettany Hughes[/url].

Wassalaam.

SPAIN LIBERATED FROM TYRANNY

Muslims landed in Spain in 711 CE and many sources testify that they were welcomed by the population, as their reputation preceded them. This was, again, due to the severe persecution certain communities were facing therein. Under the Catholic Church’s rule, the Jewish community, in particular, was severely oppressed. The Catholic hierarchy in Spain held many councils to solve political and religious disputes and in these councils, severe edicts were issued against the Jews of Spain. One of the clauses in the text of the proceedings of the Fourth Council of Toledo (633 CE) states:

“We decree that the sons and daughters of the Jews should be separated from the company of their parents in order that they should not become further entangled in their deviation, and entrusted either to monasteries or to Christian, God fearing men and women, in order that they should learn from their way of life to venerate the faith and, educated on better things, progress in their morals as well as their faith.'

[IMG]
Hence, the children of the Jews were to be forcefully converted to Catholicism. Jews weren’t the only ones facing tyranny but they were easy targets due to them being a minority and having a way of life that was distinct from their Christian persecutors. So, when the Muslims arrived, Jews were the first people to greet them as saviours. Zion Zohar, a Jewish American historian, confirms the appreciation that Jews felt for the Muslim arrival:

Thus, when Muslims crossed the straits of Gibraltar from North Africa in 711 CE and invaded the Iberian Peninsula, Jews welcomed them as liberators from Christian Persecution.”
  • Like 1

SPAIN LIBERATED FROM TYRANNY -2-

The behaviour of the Muslims in Al-Andalus was no different to their conduct in other lands. They facilitated freedom of religion for all people regardless of any differences. This was a golden opportunity for the Jews to flourish and make progress. Prior to the Muslim arrival, the Jews couldn’t imagine having religious freedom, as they were facing extinction at the hands of the Catholic Church. Zion Zohar summarised the benefits Jews reaped from the Muslim protection as follows:

Born during this era of Islamic rule, the famous Golden Age of Spanish Jewry (circa 900-1200) produced such luminaries as: statesman and diplomat Hasdai ibn Shaprut, vizier and army commander Shmuel ha-Nagid, poet-philosophers Solomon Ibn Gabriol and Judah Halevi, and at the apex of them all, Moses Ben Maimon, also known among the Spaniards as Maimonides.”

Heinrich Graetz, a nineteenth century Jewish historian expressed similar sentiments regarding Islamic rule:

It was in these favourable circumstances that the Spanish Jews came under the rule of Mahometans [Muslims], as whose allies they esteemed themselves the equals of their co-religionists in Babylonia and Persia. They were kindly treated, obtained religious liberty, of which they had so long been deprived, were permitted to exercise jurisdiction over their co-religionists, and were only obliged, like the conquered Christians, to pay poll tax…”

[IMG]
Thus the Islamic rule proved to be one of the best things in the history of Jewry. The Spanish Jews reached such a high level of learning and progress that they could now claim to be the leaders of the world Jewry. The Jews were certainly saved from extinction by the Muslim conquest of Al-Andalus. Moreover for the first time the three Abrahamic faiths were able to co-exist alongside one another in peace and harmony.

• Like 1

Indeed, Europe’s creative energies and inventiveness are acknowledged much later, only from the dawn of the “scientific revolution” in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. A good example that is characteristic of this era is that of the astronomer Galileo. In 1610 he published a work which promoted heliocentrism, which is the idea that the Earth and planets revolve around a relatively stationary Sun at the centre of the Solar System. Today science has confirmed that this model of the universe is correct, however at that time it conflicted with the prevailing theological belief that the Earth was the centre of the universe and that all heavenly bodies revolved around the Earth, known as geocentrism, a view which the Catholic Church held due to its literal interpretation of the Bible. Galileo’s discoveries were met with opposition within the Catholic Church, and in 1616 the Church formally declared heliocentrism to be heretical.

[IMG]
Heliocentric books were banned and Galileo was ordered to refrain from holding, teaching or defending heliocentric ideas. Later the Church found him “gravely suspect of heresy”, sentencing him to indefinite imprisonment. Galileo was kept under house arrest until his death in 1642.

This intellectual slumber of Europe is in stark contrast to the Islamic world. The coming of the Qur’an in the seventh century not only transformed Arabia but also the lands that were under the control of the Muslims. The peace and sense of security that Islamic rule brought about consequently produced one of the most successful civilisations in the history of the world.

While Europe was in the Dark Ages it was the Muslims that produced some of the best known scholars and work. Victor Robinson, a historian of science, eloquently summed up the contrast between medieval Europe and Islamic Spain:

Europe was darkened at sunset, Cordova shone with public lamps; Europe was dirty, Cordova built a thousand baths; Europe was covered with vermin, Cordova changed its undergarments daily; Europe lay in mud, Cordova’s streets were paved; Europe’s palaces had smoke-holes in the ceiling, Cordova’s arabesques were exquisite; Europe’s nobility could not sign its name, Cordova’s children went to school; Europe’s monks could not read the baptismal service, Cordova’s teachers created a library of Alexandrian dimensions.”

[IMG]