Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
soulja-ess

Islam In Libya

salaamz

okay well basically everyone in libya is a muslim.... ummm not evry1 is very what you call Islamic though even though lately more and more guys have started to like pray properly :D but they don't exactly do the whole lowering your gaze stuff its more kind of the opposite if ya get me... :D

neways ne1 else got stuff bout libya?

ws wr wb

PropellerAds

:D

Yes :D like most Muslim countries, you will hardly ever see a nonmuslim in Libya. (Allahu alam, how many are practicing Muslims of course)

:D mesjids everywhere and most of the shops filled with Islamic clothes and products.

-------

When I went several months ago, they had everything (product-wise) but my cousin said it had been like that for just about 1 year, (right after the sanctions were lifted).

Libya, the fourth largest state in Africa, is located in North Africa and lies between latitudes 33°N and approximately 20°N and longitudes 8°E and 25°E. It possesses a Mediterranean coastline of approximately 1820 Km in length. It is bordered by Egypt to the east, Sudan to the south-east, Chad and Niger to the south with Algeria and Tunisia to the west and north-west respectively. Libya has an area of approximately 1,775,500 sq. km, 3 times the surface area of France, and a population of about 4,500,000 (1995), the capital city being Tarabulus (Tripoli).

Libya is a cultural and geographic bridge firstly between Egypt and the Arabian lands to the East, the mashreq and the territory of the Arab W, the maghreb. Secondly, Libya acts as a link between the Mediterranean/Europe and Saharan Africa. The Arabic spoken in Libya is generally different from the French-influenced Arabic of the Maghreb with its quite separate accent and dialect from the Arabic of the Nile valley.

Climate

Due to the lack of natural barriers, the climate is greatly influenced by the desert to the south and the Mediterranean Sea to the north. The coastal regions have a Mediterranean climate with moderate temperatures and enough rain during the winter months for grain farming. In Tripoli average temperatures are 30 deg C (86 deg F) in summer and 8 deg C (46 deg F) in winter; annual precipitation averages 380 mm (15 in) and falls mainly in winter. The mountains of the Jabal Al-Akhdar attract considerably more reliable rainfall in winter and early spring, while in summer the heights are cooler than the surrounding plains. Semiarid conditions predominate in the AL MARJ and JAFFARA plains, and in the southern deserts frequent periods of drought occur. A scorching wind called the "GHIBLI" which is a hot, very dry, sand laden wind which can raise the temperatures in a matter of hours to between 40 deg C and 50 deg C, occasionally blows into the usually humid coastal towns. The wind is most noticeable in W Libya and is often associated with the spring solstice.

Asalmo aliakom

Hamderlilah Islam in libya is good actually. I dont live there but i go every summer , hamderlilah, to see family. There are some christians in tripoli right near the printing shop near 1st septembr theres a small church. Libya was the place that last summer Allah allowed the light into my heart and increases my iman to such a point that i am still stuggling to reach agian. Inshallah this summer i can reach that very high level in my iman or increase it inshallah.

May Allah guide and bless Libyans on the straight path.........Ameen. We can all mention the beautiful aspects of Libya, Libyans being all muslim elhamdulillah and thats a blessing to live in a whole muslim society but we can not doubt the haram aspects in Libya, the rituals creeping in society: every year libyan guys lose respect towards the girls and girlfriend,boyfriend is becomiing a widespread thing in Libya, the drug smuggling has become rapid even though its illegal. people losing respect towards other swearing, badmouthing each other is something common la hawla wala kuwata illah billah. Anger is something common to Libyans are angry, stubborn people and society is to blame for that, Libyans had it the hard way under hardship and pressure of sanctions. Like Iraq, Afghanistan although Libya is not a battleground and Inshallah wont be but the kinda of hardship libyans had under sanctions has corrupted society in a way and the poor unwealthy is something common in Libya. Islam in Libya right now Allah knows best what happens after Libya releases its fuel and becomes more westernized night clubs is somewhat of a dream in Libya for some people and Inshallah it wont happen but noone knows what the future holds.

May Allah guide and bless Libyans on the straight path.........Ameen. We can all mention the beautiful aspects of Libya, Libyans being all muslim elhamdulillah and thats a blessing to live in a whole muslim society but we can not doubt the haram aspects in Libya, the rituals creeping in society: every year libyan guys lose respect towards the girls and girlfriend,boyfriend is becomiing a widespread thing in Libya, the drug smuggling has become rapid even though its illegal. people losing respect towards other swearing, badmouthing each other is something common la hawla wala kuwata illah billah. Anger is something common to Libyans are angry, stubborn people and society is to blame for that, Libyans had it the hard way under hardship and pressure of sanctions. Like Iraq, Afghanistan although Libya is not a battleground and Inshallah wont be but the kinda of hardship libyans had under sanctions has corrupted society in a way and the poor unwealthy is something common in Libya. Islam in Libya right now Allah knows best what happens after Libya releases its fuel and becomes more westernized night clubs is somewhat of a dream in Libya for some people and Inshallah it wont happen but noone knows what the future holds.

and may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon the prophet and his family. ameen!

I know exactly what you mean brother!

But before the sanctions were recently lifted, it was harder for libya to become more westernized... Allahu alam what lays ahead... :D always make duah!

The guy who first explained Islam to me is from Libya so I'm like " :D " for the country. I'd love to visit there insha'Allah and see him and the rest of the country :D

AS

lol bro mash'Allah alhamdulillah :D insh'Allah oneday you will be able to go and visit there, it would be nice insh'Allah ^_^

Libya is a wonderful country - as a Christian i have been warmly welcomed by the people here, they wished me Happy Christmas even!

I also wished them 'Eid Sye eeed" (Spelling?) at the recent festival.

Hope to learn much more about Islam on here - sometimes I can ask myt work colleagues questions, other things are a bit too risky but I still feel I have the right to ask. The worst thing for non-Muslims would be if Islam is seen as a 'Don't ask any questions' religion - I'm curious and I appreciate people explaining things to me.

On question I still don't understand:

Why is Libya 'dry' i.e. no alcohol when One can get alcohol in Tunisia and Egypt, both primarily Muslim countries ? Society doesn't seem to have imploded there so why does Libya have such a stance?

Guest amani

Hi LL Moonmanhead.

im sure the people of Libya wont mind you asking questions about Islam. Everyone has a right to ask questions and Islam is open to questions :D

With regards to alchohol, well it is strictly forbidden in Islam.whether other muslim countries offer or dont offer alchohol, it doestnt matter. forbidden is fobidden. i have never been libya though, im just speaking from an Islamic point of view :D

thanks for your answer amani - nice to see planet mars has a good internet connection!

Yeah, I know alcohol is strictly forbidden but from what I have seen, many Libyans develop a taste for it when in Tunisia. During the sanctions, many Libyans would frequently have to go to Tunisia to pick up goods and people. From what I heard there were a few drunk drivers coming back form Djerba.

On a different note - it is really important for people like me to come on here. I consider myself a pretty tolerant guy,interested in other countries and I have worked all over and consider people from S America to (non Muslim) Asia my friends. Some elements of Islam are pretty terrifying to the outsider and I desperately want to believe that the Islamic world will play just as important role in the future of the world as the Japanese,the Chinese,The Europeans, N America etc. and not just be the Black Sheep of the world family.

I see so many good people here and I desperately want them to succeed and prosper - but not at the expense of an Islam vs The West mentality. We should be working together - we can learn so much from each other!

hi ll moonmanhead!

I too feel exactly as you said. My husband is from libya so i can give my point of view from the yearly visits to my in-laws..

Libya is, well wonderful and not. The place is beautiful, but all you see outside are men. Men who sometimes chat up school girls on their way to and from school.. this is a bit nasty.. and men who just walk/drive up and down a road continously trying to pick up girls.. plus I saw that children on the whole were pretty bad mannered. Someone mentioned the 'anger' and I see it also in the children. It's common practise to beat disobeying children with broom sticks and leather belts. If i'm not mistaken, it is or was practised in schools too! I think this makes them worse.

Plus poverty (and dirt) is everywhere. You have the very rich and the very poor. And not many can speak any other language save for arabic. I noticed ALOT of superstition and "rituals" to scare away the "bad eye" .. :/

But as far as Islam goes, everyone is dressed decently, there are Masjids everywhere and people are kind to one another.. neighbours helping each other out .. what ever you ask for, you get. People would go hungry to feed you. Truly amazing.

I think a true muslim isn't just in how much he prays, but also how much he integrates his religion into his life.. kindness to the poor is one example.

If i may give you my opinion on why Libya is a "dry" country.. you mentioned Tunisia and Egypt. When importing Alcohol, the governments put taxes on them.. so in a way the gov is making money. Tunisia and Egypt, afaik, have no oil, so rely on taxes from the people. Libya has oil. It doesn't need taxes from importation of alcohol, so it has kept back and since the Libyans are 99% muslims, there shouldn't be a "need" to have any. I agree with Libya staying dry. God knows how people will stray if they had alcohol!

I think alcohol is completely forbidden there (of course it is forbidden in Islam) alhamdulilah that is very good news (subhan'Allah I was talking about this with my friend the other day actually and she was surpised at it being banned there since you could get it other arab countries)

what you mention

Men who sometimes chat up school girls on their way to and from school.. this is a bit nasty.. and men who just walk/drive up and down a road continously trying to pick up girls..

that you will see in many countries around the world. unfortunately. I dont think they ever really think they can "pick a girl up" cause I never even seen a girl look twice at guys like that, but the boys are stupid and do it for fun (?)

they all should get married earlier! the problem is that many men want the guys to have a house and a VERy good job before they will let them marry their daughters!

I dunno

you said:

plus I saw that children on the whole were pretty bad mannered. Someone mentioned the 'anger' and I see it also in the children. It's common practise to beat disobeying children with broom sticks and leather belts. If i'm not mistaken, it is or was practised in schools too! I think this makes them worse.

I never seen that! Of course you will find bad kids everywhere, but they are just little pranksters...

"anger" are you serious? makes me said that you felt or seen that, as I never have...

Oh ya before they used to allow smacking in school, but just with like a ruler on the hand... actually they still do sometimes in the younger grades

all schools should allow it :D

I noticed ALOT of superstition and "rituals" to scare away the "bad eye" .. :/

al ayn, the eye, the evil eye... yep its everywhere... and i make duah for Allah to protect us from it... but i didnt ever see superstiition or "rituals to scare away the bad eye"

you can "scare it away" you have to ask Allah to protect you from it, to protect you from people being jealous of you and wishing bad upon you.

Libya may be considered "dry" but thats because it has very few tourist alhamdulillah, and has less of the western influence than most of the arab countries today alhamdulillah.

Plus poverty (and dirt) is everywhere.
i

its sand....

alhamdulillah i havent seen much poverty... and the poverty i seen is mostly people from other countries who came here to work or as refugees, Allahu alam, may Allah have mercy upon them!

alhamdulilah for the mesjids... may they always stand.

may we get a better leader soon and may Allah guide kadafi!

Hi there Ranya and Mujahada!

Thanks for replying - good to see some life on the Libyan board!

Some random replies...

I don't see much poverty here as such although I do think it is terribly dirty. I keep hearing about the unemployment problem but if a sensible 'Keep Libya Clean' campaign were to begin with Governmental support, that would employ thousands in a legitimate,honest job. Mujahada,I spent a lot of time in New Zealand and they have a true pride in ther country and by and large keep it clean, especially the beaches. Libya should learn from them.

Libya may be considered "dry" but thats because it has very few tourist alhamdulillah, and has less of the western influence than most of the arab countries today alhamdulillah

Does that mean you don't want tourists in Libya? I think you are out of touch with the people I work with, they see good jobs and welcome income via tourists. Don't confuse all tourists with the loud,drunken ones in e.g. parts of Spain. There would be a 'high end' tourist market.

Incidentally, if I were to write

'my part of Europe has less of an arab influence than most of the European countries today, thank God' would you perceive that as negative? Oh, and blaming foreigners for the poverty does you no credit either.

Ranya,

I agree - I do find the people tremendous on the whole. Very helpful and with a wonderful kind side. The West has forgotten many things that are still practiced here and I'm grateful for the chance to experience this.

Very good point re the difference between Tunisia/Egypt and Libya - I never thought of that and that does make sense.

Anyway, I hope Libya stays dry - the driving here is terrible enough without throwing alcohol into the equation.

Mujahada - I think the Leader will be here for a while followed by one of his sons,no? I see no other ptoential leader on the horizon.

Hello LL MoonmanHead

You are a very nice person with a straight mind (as Allah willed) and I know why they welcomed you into libya. :D

Yes the garbage all around is disgusting and upsetting! I hate it! I never littered in my life alhamdulillah, but I thought of maybe just throwing my empty cup down there, because even though my mom had always told us "even if some dont litter it will make a difference" but still its just there, no one seems to care, so i didnt see how it would make a difference. (but I didnt throw it down just to let you know)

its really sad... they need to work on it soon!

I don't see much poverty here as such although I do think it is terribly dirty. I keep hearing about the unemployment problem but if a sensible 'Keep Libya Clean' campaign were to begin with Governmental support, that would employ thousands in a legitimate,honest job.

very very true! I cant believe they havent thought of this or at least tried to put it into action!

Does that mean you don't want tourists in Libya? I think you are out of touch with the people I work with, they see good jobs and welcome income via tourists. Don't confuse all tourists with the loud,drunken ones in e.g. parts of Spain. There would be a 'high end' tourist market.

No I dont really mean that... It is fine for them to see the land and Im happy for them to visit a Muslim country as I would pray Allah would guide them and let them see the light of Islam. But one of the reason I like libya, is because there arent many tourists "bringing in their ways" and I have seen many who (are respectful of our religion) but dont dress appropriately and I dont want to see that.

yes khadafis son will take over after him most likely :D

Allah only knows what is in store for other countries!

insh'Allah I will write more tomorrow, i have to go :D

Sabaah al-kheir to you Mujahada

Thank you for your kind reply - it is much appreciated!

I completely understand what you mean about tourists now - I have also seen some people here who are dressed completely inappropriately - not a good thing.

By the way, I have to congratulate you on your English (assuming you are Libyan of course :D ) - I have noticed that the older generation here speak very good English but many of the younger people don't. I suppose Italian was always the main foreign language here.

Oh, that reminds me, I finally saw 'Lion of the Desert' last weekend wabout Omar Muhktar - that movie deservess to be much more famous than it is - an excellent film.

I hope you have a good day and I hope you don't mind if I occasionally ask questions here about Islam in Libya. I feel OK asking my work colleagues many things but sometimes an internet forum is better and more appropriate - I do not wish to embarrass anybody with awkward questions here.

Best wishes and thanks for your time again

LL MMH

Hello

Wow mash'Allah MoonmanHead you know arabic! lol (how much do you know?) :D How long have you been living in Libya? (and what made you want to go there in the first place?) Sorry if you already mentioned some of this stuff before.

Oh and no I don't mind you asking questions here, or saying stuff.. I like talking about Libya. (I'm hoping you will visit other parts of the forum though insh'Allah to learn more about Islam) And its ok if you some questions you might have,may be embarrassing, still please ask.

Lol thanks for the compliment on my English :D but actually I've lived in the US all my life (and only visited Libya for one season about 1 and a half years ago) (lol now your probably thinking "well for living in the US her english is horrible" :D )

My father is Libyan, while my mother is american :D

Yes Lion of the Desert is really good! I've seen it like 100 times :D masha'Allah! the history amazes me! :D

I suppose Italian was always the main foreign language here

in libya? :D no it was always arabic.... any italian influence is from when the Italians were fighting Libya, trying to take control.

What part of Libya do you live in (if you dont mind me asking) :D

I am proud that Libya is one of the only arab countries that keeps its Islamic tradition in focus. Though when i went there for a visit eery summer, I found that standards are getting worse and worse. It's like victorians, they use to have strict moral codes to keep the woman safe and to make society respectable, and what happened? it was all lost.

Now, people say divrocing is normal, getting drunk every weekend is normal, not being a virgin underage, normal and much much more stuff that are even worse. And, I find that every year Libyans learn from the people who've culture have been lost and this is why, my friends, who are non-religious, say that their life has no meaning. Not believing in anything is had no meaning to life.

Libya is just about starting, for example, 3 Libyans that had came to 'learn english' in my area got drunk one night and started abusing the lady that was with them, she told the police, this is what i call stupid. They were young, one was only 16, the other 18 and the other 21. The 21 year old went back to Libya on that same night, whilst the younger ones were still drunk and got caught by the police. Now they are all imprisoned for life from a lady that got them drunk who is a lot older than them, 27 years.

Libya has many problems that people don't know about, and that is what i find strange. When i was young, it was beautiful, but when i got older, i found that it was a lot more than just beautiful beaches and green mountains and fresh warm air.

:sl:

This past weekend, I met a Libyan sister. She mentioned that she thinks she'd be better off in her place of ethnicity than in US, Islam-wise, and fusha-speaking wise. Well, actually she mentioned more reasons then that, and no she doesn't seem very religious, but still a mutahajabba alhumdulilah.

She said, over there, they have seperate swimming days at the beaches.. Wednesdays and something else just for women and girls. And yes, it's true, generally, it is not as influenced as other arabic speaking countries, however, that the "leader", and thus, the goverment is corrupt. She seemed to think that that leader is worst in character than Musharaff because welll you know...Insha' Allah, that doesn't corrupt the whole country.

Libya is in the process of rebuilding (literally! Half the buildings have the word "destruct/destroy" on them) and modernizing (ever since the US sanctions were lifted). With this, I hope will come a more open mind to new things and a forgetting of old silly traditional ways (a lot that revolve around superstition.)

Gaddafi isn't doing anything (except trying to become the leader of all of Africa!!) so maybe thats better because I wouldn't trust him to do anything good.

I wish they'd clean up the garbage here. Its horrendous and Libya is a rich country.

I think it has to do a lot with not being around the right (religious) people (because I dont know them here) but I feel more "STRONG" of a Muslim in the US. I guess because the people there that identify themselves as a Muslim usually try. Here everyone is a Muslim... and they don't seem to try (but like I said, I think I just know the wrong people).

Everyday I hear the athan 5 times a day and when I hear the words "come to success" I don't know how everyone can't go running to the millions of masjids around.

Insh'Allah there will be change, and insha'Allah for the better.

17 more days insha'Allah.