Islamic Forum
Mercyonmankind

Islam in Afghanistan: The Islamic state

:D

Salaam to all Afghanistan and all other countries...

In Afghanistan Islam is strong and people follow it without doubt... The Afghanistan should get better know, because Afghanistan suffered too much pain.. If Allah wills, afghanistan will get better until the appointed time... Pray for Afghanistan and All muslims around the world....

May Allah save every muslims from evil .. :P

PropellerAds

Assalam-u-walaikum,

I am not Afghani but i am an ethnic Afghan (pashtun) from Pakistan, which is the next best thing. Many People may have some misinterpretations about Afghanistan, and many people may still think that the Taliban Brand of Islam is what the people believe in. Hopefully with this thread we can clear such misinterpretations about the Beautful country that is Afghanistan, and the land that is said to sprout the Imam Mahdi's Army, Inshallah.

Afghanistan :

The land off "Afghanistan" previously known as "Khurusan" is inhabited by a multitude of races.

1) The Ethnic Afghan (Bactrian/Pashtun/Pakhtun/Pathan)

2) The Ethnic Tajik

3) The Ethnic Uzbek

4) The Ethnic Hazara (Mongol)

Do note that Not everyone from Afghanistan is "Afghan". This is a common mistake made nowadays even on the news. A National of Afghanistan is called "Afghani" not "Afghan".

Afghani : A National of Afghanistan. May be Ethnic Afghan, Tajik, Uzbek or Hazara.

Afghan : A Race of Tribesmen living in eastern Afghanistan and Western Pakistan. Synonymous with Bactrian, Pashtun, Pakhtun and Pathan.

1) The Ethnic Afghan (Bactrian/Pashtun/Pakhtun/Pathan) :

The Afghans (Pushtuns), who make up more then half the population, have traditionally been the dominant ethnic group. Their homeland lies south of the Hindu Kush, but Pashtun groups live in all parts of the country. Many Afghans also live in northwestern Pakistan, they are called "Pathans" by the Indian races. Afghans are usually farmers, though a large number of them are nomads, living in tents made of black goat hair. Male Pashtuns live by ancient tribal code called Pashtunwali, which stresses courage, personal honor, resolution, self-reliance, and hospitality. The Afghan speak Pashto, which is an Indo-European language and one of the two official languages of Afghanistan.

2) The Ethnic Tajik :

The Tajiks (Tadzhiks), are the second largest ethnic group in Afghanistan. They live in the valleys north of Kabul and in Badakhshan. They are farmers, artisans, and merchants. The Tajiks speak Dari (Afghan Persian), also an Indo-European language and the other official language of Afghanistan. Dari is more widely spoken than Pashto in most of the cities. The Tajiks are closely related to the people of Tajikistan.

3) The Ethnic Uzbek :

To the north of the Hindu Kush, on the steppes near the Amu Darya, live several groups who speak Turkic languages. The Uzbeks are the largest of these groups, which also include Turkmen and, in the extreme northeast Vakhan Corridor, the Kyrgyz people. The Kyrgyz were mostly driven out by the Soviet invasion and largely emigrated to Turkey. All of these groups are settled farmers, merchants, and seminomadic sheepherders. The nomads live in yurts, or round, felt-covered tents of the Mongolian or Central Asian type.

4) The Ethnic Hazara (Mongols) :

In the central ranges live the Hazaras. Although their ancestors came from the Xinjiang region of northwestern China, the Hazaras speak an archaic Persian. Most are farmers and sheepherders. The Hazaras have been discriminated against for a long time, in part because they are minority Shiites (followers of Shia Islam) within a dominant Sunni Muslim population. In the east, north of the Kabul River, is an isolated wooded mountainous region known as Noristan. The Noristani people who live there speak a wide variety of Indo-European dialects. In the far south live the Baluchi, whose Indo-European language (called Baluchi) is also spoken in southwestern Pakistan and southeastern Iran.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origins of the Races of Afghanistan and their Embrace of Islam:

Origins of the Afghan/Bactrian/Pashtun/Pakhtun/Pathan :

One of Prophet Ibrahim's descendents, Talut (or Saul) had two sons, one of whom was named Irmiya or Jeremia. Irmiya had a son named Afghana, who is gives his name to the Afghan people. Tareekh-e-Sher Shahi states that Bakht Nasr who invaded Jerusalem and destroyed it, expelled Jewish tribes, including sons of Afghana from their homeland. During the days of the Babylonian captivity when the Jews were scattered, the children of afghana brought their grandfather and settled in the area that is present day southern Afghanistan

Afghana is said to have left his father at a very young age and was a part of King David's Court at quite an early age, right up till Soloman. This is why he is very hard to find in jewish literature.

With the arrival of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh), The Jews living among the Arabs sent word to the fellow Jewish Bani israel decendants of Afghana who were by now well settled in the area that is currently known as Afghanistan and western Pakistan.

The cheif of the decendants of Afghana named "Kais" according to muslim sources, "Kish" according to Jewish sources and "Kase" according to Afghan tradition, came to meet the holy messenger of God, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Kais promptly converted to Islam and was given the arab name 'Abdur Rashid' by the Prophet (pbuh). He was sent back with a number of Arabs who helped him successfully convert all of his tribe to Islam. The entire Afghan/Pashtun race accepted Islam as whole at the same time.

The Ethnic Afghan are known by many names.

Afghan : The Original and correct term for the Race. They are the Decendants of "Afghana" thus Afghan.

Bactrian/Paktye : The name given to the Race by the Latin people and the Greek historians that travelled with Alexander the Great.

Pashtun/Pakhtun : The name given to the race by the Persians. Since the Afghan were geographically located behind the Pesians they started calling them "Pushts". "Pusht" being the Persian word for "Behind". This was gradually corrupted to Pushtun/Pukhtun.

Pathan : The word "pathan" is strictly of Indian use. You will find no Afghan reffering to himself as "pathan" as the word is of derrogitory origin. 'Pathaan' is a word of "Sanskrit" origin. It literally translates into Women/Wife- Stealer/Kidnapper.

After Alexander the great left this region many of his soldiers that were injured or couldnt make the trek back with him stayed on. Since they we soldiers naturally there were no women among them. During the passage of time they like all other men felt the need to have offspring, they turned towards india and started to kidnap their women and marry them. These People from the west to the indian civilization looked like a fair, warrior like race and were given the rude name 'pathan'.

The Afghan were also located in the same geographical region, and whenever they traversed to india they seemed like the 'Pathans' to the locals and eventually the name became popular for them too.

Where the Actual 'Pathans' are the "Kalaash", the "Chitrali" and other left over residents of northern and western Pakistan. It is said that the people of similar ethinic decent in Alexander 's army (since alexander's army was multi ethnic) after his departure formed their own communities and tried to keep their orignal culture alive, which is why the "Chitrali", "Kalaash" and other civilizations are very different now.

The ethnic Afghan are majority Sunni Muslims with Shias found only in the "Bangash" , "Orakzai" , "Mengel" and "Tori" tribes of the Afghan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origins of the Tajik :

In the flourishing years of Islam, the early days of the Ottoman Empire, many Turks travelled for trade purposes to the lands of Bactria and Persia. The Tajiks are decendants of those Turks and became known as the "Tajiks" after the Turk traders intermingled with the Persians.

The "Tajiks" found in Afghanistan are majority Sunni Muslims with only a few belonging to the Shia sect (mostly ones with more Persian blood than Turkish) .

The Language "Dari" (Afghani Persian) is spoken by the tajiks as well as all the other races with the exception of the Afghans (Bactrians), but even they in modern day Afghanistan speak Dari.

Afghanistan has always had an Ethnic Afghan (Pashtun) King. Much like Old England, where to distinguish themselves from the commoners the Royal family would Speak French and not English. The ethnic Afghan Royals would speak Persian to distinguish themselves from the common ethnic Afghan (Pashtun).

Turks who would want to climb the social ladder would also start speaking Persian. With time as the settler Turks intermarried with the Persians their own language "Turkish" got mixed with the vastly spoken Persian which has resulted in the "Dari" language and the "Tajik" people.

Origins of the Turkmen & Uzbek :

The ethnic Turkmen are Uzbek are also Decendants of the Turk traders. The Turkmen and Uzbek unlike the Tajiks were the Turkish traders that intermingled with the Mongols and Chinese and not the Persians. The difference between the two is that the "Turkmen" have more Turkish blood than Mongol, while the Uzbek have more Mongol blood than Turkish.

Turkmen are almost 100% Sunni muslim, while members of the Shia sect can be found among the Uzbek.

Origins of the Hazara (Mongols) :

After Genghis Kahn had ravaged Persia and Babylon, he turned his armies towards Bactria. After engaging the Afghan in many skirmishes, Genghis Kahn not being able to make any inroads decided to press westwards and leave the Bactrians alone. In the process leaving whole armies abandoned in Bactria. These left over Mongol soldiers became known as the "Hazara" (meaning "thousands") as thousands and thousands of them were left for themselves in Bactria.

With time (since they were located near the Bactrian-Persian border) they were indoctrined by the Persians and all converted to the Shia sect of Islam.

The Hazara in general Loathe the ethnic Afghan.

The strongest tie among these various groups is their Islamic religion. The overwhelming majority of Afghans (about 99 percent) are Muslims. About 84 percent of Afghan Muslims are Sunnites and about 15 percent are Shiites (mostly the Hazaras and Tajiks).

Other Info about Afghanistan :

Mazar-e Sharif, where the tomb of the Muslim leader Ali is said to be located in a 15th-century Masjid, is a leading place of Muslim pilgrimage. Scattered throughout Afghanistan are the flag-covered graves of saintlike people who are revered and petitioned for help in childbearing, settlement of disputes, moral leadership, or in other capacities.

Afghanistan along with Western Pakistan Or the Original undivided Afghanistan (Before the durand line) combine to form the "Khurusan". The land from which the Imam Mahdi 's Bani israel (Afghan/Pashtun) army will emerge bearing Black Flags, As stated in Ahadith.

Edited by Dhampyre

Mashallah Afghanistan is very strong with their faith! I should know, im afghan! B)

But like everywhere they have lax muslims too right? My sister has an afghani friend who said that in some families they don't dress properly and they party a lot (kafir style). Is this true?

what about the "miss afghanistan" junk? I mean there are both kinds of people right? So the majority is practicing? The media makes it seem as though they are more lax (most are barely practicing) now.

Edited by ummammaar

i have met many afgans inshallah i hope 1 day i come across those strong practising muslim that you talk of,

you cant expect a relgion to be strong if you force it on people.

dont let Bush's propaganda confuse you. He wants to make Afghanistan look like his dream for all muslim countries....To Be Like The West

That means...

booze, naked women, etc...

Slave, by Afghans do you mean actual ethnic Afghans or people who are from Afghanistan, there is a difference. The word Afghan is synonymous with Pashtun/Pakhtun, and i have come across very few ethnic ethnic Afghans that have no love for the religion, if however you mean people from afghanistan then that includes, ethnic Tajik, Uzbek , Turkmen as well, and although i am not saying anything against them, but they tend to be more relaxed with their morals and dont mind doing something against the religion here and there.

It is good to hear the Afghans are strong in Iman, ins'Allah this is true. But then again the U.S is creeping in and trying to make it all "democratic" and perhaps even western. It would be sad to see what might happean then:no:

Slave, by Afghans do you mean actual ethnic Afghans or people who are from Afghanistan, there is a difference. The word Afghan is synonymous with Pashtun/Pakhtun, and i have come across very few ethnic ethnic Afghans that have no love for the religion, if however you mean people from afghanistan then that includes, ethnic Tajik, Uzbek , Turkmen as well, and although i am not saying anything against them, but they tend to be more relaxed with their morals and dont mind doing something against the religion here and there.

the ones that speak farsi is that any help?

^^it is true, some afghans are not very strong when it comes to Islam(i would know first hand-my cousins are totally against wearing hijab, learning hadiths, etc.) but the majority are good muslims. Its a small world bro slave, inshallah u'll come across a pious afghan.

And what u said about religion being forced on ppl, that is true, it usually backfires and they become worse...

Salaam Alaikum,

When did this thread open? Why wasn't I informed? Grrrr, kidding.

Afghans have strong Faith/Imaan? Since when? lol.

I haven't met one practicing Afghan in this whole country (okay, I haven't travelled through the whole of the country or even this City but you get my point).

The only ones I thought were pious and practicing I met online, and even they turned out to be not-so-practicing after all.

Well, Allahu A'lam.

May Allah(swt) guide us all, ameen.

Walaikum Asalaam.

What a joke!!!

What afghan has strong iman? maybe back home but not here.

quite rare nowadays

are you from there sis?

I am not sister, i am brother haha..

What a joke!!!

What afghan has strong iman? maybe back home but not here.

quite rare nowadays

No all are lost in other countries, if you remember God wherever you go, God will remember you too, if you forget to remeber God, then God will forget you too...

You are right some has strong imam, but some not... If Allah wills everyone will have..

By Allah wills i am not weak in iman, and i always pray to Allah to guide me to the right path and everyone...

Salaam Alaikum,

You just showed that you are not strong in faith....

will be back...

No Islamic country can escape from the wrongdoers.... :D

I'd love to go to Afganistan one day inshallah!

:w:

Like i previously stated, the Ethnic Afghan/Pashtun/Pakhtun population of Afghanistan have very strong faith, no matter where they go whether in Afghanistan, Pakistan, or a Pashtun in Some western or far eastern country, they stay close to the teaching of Islam, this is because Islam is an integral part of the Afghan/Pashtun/Pakhtun Culture . (w00t)

The Ethnic Turkish people are not as strong faith wise sadly :D (the dari speaking population)

Edited by Dhampyre

Salaam Alaikum,

[You just showed that you are not strong in faith....]

And YOU my brother/sister in Islam just showed how strong your Faith is, mashaAllah!

Brother Dhampyre (what an unusually annoying nickname to type!), yeah you're right. The Pashtoon culture is very Islam-orientated mashaAllah.. but I have met many Pashtoons who are Nationalists, unfortunately very proud people. I hate Nationalism with a passion.

Hmmm, not so sure about the Dari-speaking people all being weak in Faith, my mum and dad's families are all Dari-speakers and they're all very practicing and pious people mashaAllah =).

Well at the time of Taliban, Afghanistan was apparently the closest country (ever) to have come close to being an Islamic state.. Allah knows what'll happen now.

Walaikum Asalaam.

Edited by afG

Salaam Alaikum,

I haven't met one practicing Afghan in this whole country (okay, I haven't travelled through the whole of the country or even this City but you get my point).

The only ones I thought were pious and practicing I met online, and even they turned out to be not-so-practicing after all.

Well, Allahu A'lam.

May Allah(swt) guide us all, ameen.

Walaikum Asalaam.

That's because you've met very few Afghans, what you've met is the

Shia Mongols and Tajiks who are uninvited guests outstaying their welcome.

There's quite a few Shia's from Iran who pretend to be Afghans to claim

asylum.

The Afghans remain true.

afG i did not say all dari speakers were not strong of faith, but overall you will find more dari speakers that tend to stray away then follow the teaching of Islam :D you are obviously one of strong faith mashallah :D

Salaam Alaikum,

LegalEagle. You're right, I haven't met very many Afghans. Which I see as being fortunate, because from what I've seen so far.. well, let's just say I've seen enough already. BUT I have met one Tajik sister who IS very practicing mashaAllah, so please don't throw around assumptions like that about a certain type of people.. it brings nothing but hatred, and I think we have enough of that between Afghans already (unfortunately).

Brother Dhampyre, the comment you made did make it seem that way, but now I know you didn't mean it in that way, so it's all good.

And the people who tends to stray away from Islam are the ones who Allah(swt) has not guided =).

I didn't mean that MY Faith is strong, I'm just another trying-Muslimah like the rest out there. I was talking about some of my aunties and uncles, who are all very practicing and pious people mashaAllah.. who just happen to speak Dari at home (but most are Pashtoons originally) =).

Walaikum Asalaam.

Edited by afG

The Correct name for us is "Afghan", "Pashtun" is the name given to us by the persians, while "Pathan" is the name given to us by the indians. We are known as "Afghan".

Salaam Alaikum,

Hmmm, I see. Then I assume you don't consider Tajiks, Uzbeks, Hazaras etc, Afghans?

FYI, all my family are Pashtoons.

I don't think we need to take this conversation any further =).

All the best.

Walaikum Asalaam.

So i wanna ask those from Afganistan, who r familiar with the country, what do u think of Afganistan with taliban and after taliban?