Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shez

Starting An Islamic Class, How To Make It A Success?

:sl:

Hi, we have a wednesday class already running, we do get around 11 people, not many youngsters come which is what the class is for. Most of these youngster dont come because they are making football as an excuse (and if not footballs then university).

The structure of the class is 45 minutes given to three different books. and then tajweed (learning how to read/recite quran the "proper" way).

Now we are starting up a saturday class and want people to come. Currently we are suggesting it to be a closed class so that only few people will come but atleast they will be regular. (we will allow other people to come but obv they would have to be regular)

if you have been going to Islamic classes, or run one, could you please give suggestions as to what you found worked, and could you think as a "student" and see how you would be willing to come to the class? ie what would motivate you?

thanks

PropellerAds

Asalaam Alaykum Brother

Is that London - UK?? is it only for brothers??

yeah its only for brothers, some of our people are living in the past. they wont let their sisters/daughters/wives anywhere near men, but it is ok for them to go to school,uni,shopping etc.

Assalaamu Alaikum...

-Anaylse your target audience...see what things they like and include Islamic knowledge into it....

-You could get an outside speaker to talk abt being a muslim in the west..

-Ask the brothers what topics they want covered...

-Tell the importance of Tajweed...i.e. how pronoucing a letter the wrong way could change the meaning of a sentence in the Quran...like...qalb (heart) and kalb (dog).

-do handouts

-make the lessons fun with ice-breakers

-teach the foudations of Islam..i.e. the tawheed...the pillars of Islam and emaan etc

Asalaam Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

Insha'Allah may the following tips be also useful (alongside the ones mentioned above):

- First primary focus should be to teach them about the Hereafter

- Make the classroom interactive

- If the target audience truly does like football, then set aside some time for the sport. It will help, Insha'Allah to perhaps strengthen their bond

Assalam Aalikum

I am in a little late i believe but i hope this is worth while.

I have Run Islamic classes for girls when i was 14 years old during my vacations.

I had it all scheduled out and since it was an open local class, means all local girls could come in and learn and have fun also, thus i never had an issue about regularity.

Alhamdulillah we started with 10 girls and by the end of vacations we were a lot.

we had girls of all ages, and we had things scheduled.

means one topic a week, and each person participated in it. we had talks and dicusiions about presnt era and the Muslim ummah after our class, we even read nasheds and had competitions.

Our main focus was Islamic education.

I was more focussing on makin my sisters practicing Muslimahs, helpingthem with starting hijaab, and praying and living an Islamic life.

Alhamdulillah it was a success.

Here now at Kuwiat Alhamdulillah again i hada gatherings I used to teach tajweed too and then basic information about Quran and Sunnah. The only way to have regular atendants is by making them know the importance of these lectures.

Alhamdulillah I have now been working on an individualist level, and am polishing individuals rather tahn having regular lectures.

Well yes i attended Tajweed lectures twice for two years, though i had completed it once, i was teh youngest of age 13 there Alhamdulillah and i loved all the aunties and elders there, that i felt left out if i missed a class, and they all loved me so much that i felt blessed among them. I was the apple of every1s eye :sl:

so the gathering also makes a big difference.

I ask Allah to help us with all we are doing for each other and may Allah accept our efforts.. aameen

Taqabbal Allah minna wa minkum

ASA brother i would suggest that you have one class on the Quran, start with the last juice and let the people take the first sura study it and see what they got from reading it, when they come to class everyone participates in giving what the Quran says to them,Right after give a brief tajweed recitation and go on to the next sura.When class finishes all the suras then introduce the arabic classes to those people inshaaalah they will be happy to study the arabic

Great suggestions above :sl: Jazakum 'Allahu Khayr, I could do with these suggestions too. Brother, why not organize some sort of a Focus Day, where you could make arrangements for a small football tournament, a Qur'aan and Hadith quiz, a suggestion box where brothers could write down on a small paper what topics of Islam they'd like you to shed more light on. In other words, organize an opening event and hopefully these brothers will attend the sessions regularly.

As a student, I must say this form of inviting members to partake in classes works - because it gives some time for them to get to know one another and get an idea of what they'll be doing during the class. It's also beneficial as well as enjoyable to hold an activity at the end of each session - perhaps a discussion circle where everyone gets to have a say; or a quiz; competition, etcetera.