Islamic Forum
IbrahimMuhammed

From My Sisters' Lips

:sl:

I have just seen this on Amazon and it gets good reviews...........anyone have this book and recommend it?

From My Sisters' Lips by B Robert Na'ima [using large font size is not allowed]

######you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_ecx.images-amazon(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/images/I/41P9XFP09XL._AA240_.jpg[/img]

Synopsis

Covered from head to toe with only her eyes visible, the sight of a Muslim woman on a western city street rarely fails to provoke a strong reaction. Feelings of shock, horror, repulsion, pity or even fear are not uncommon. But have you ever wondered who it is behind the veil and what makes her tick? Ever wondered what her life is really like and whether her dreams, hopes and aspirations differ from yours? "From My Sisters' Lips" offers a rare glimpse into the lives of a community of women, most of whom are converts to Islam, and invites you to share their joys, sorrows, convictions and faith. When Na'ima B Robert abandoned her western lifestyle and embraced Islam six years ago, it was not a decision taken lightly. Yet soon after she took her first tentative steps towards covering, she felt empowered; no longer judged on physical appearances alone, no longer seeking the approval to feel beautiful - or using her looks to wield power over men - the experience effected her greatly. Before long she grew in confidence and courage. As she says, "Something just clicked." I thought, "Good, don't look; don't compare me with your latest squeeze, don't try and guess my measurements - my body is my own business!"' "From My Sisters' Lips" offers a glimpse into the lives of just some of the extraordinary women who, like herself, have chosen to live behind the veil. What emerges is a vivid and intimate portrait of a sisterhood; as they speak candidly and with conviction on a diverse range of subjects ranging from marriage to motherhood, stereotypes, submission and self-image, we hear the strong, proud voices of those who are seldom heard.

Source: (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetamazon.co.uk/My-Sisters-Lips-Robert-Naima/dp/0553817175/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197145587&sr=8-1"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_you are not allowed to post links yetamazon.co.uk/My-Sisters-Lips-Ro...5587&sr=8-1[/url]

PropellerAds

I feel like Im stalking you on this website... :sl: but it's only because whenever I go to new topics yours is usually at the top.. :sl:

I heard this book is really good.. but have only heard this from one person so if anyone else has read it please let me know...

:no:

I feel like Im stalking you on this website... :no: but it's only because whenever I go to new topics yours is usually at the top.. :j:

I heard this book is really good.. but have only heard this from one person so if anyone else has read it please let me know...

:sl: Its Sister Alleena again!! :sl:

:D Thanks Sis, it looks interesting from the online reviews but would be nice, as you say, to get some opinions from our Gawaher Brothers and Sisters too mashallah

Yes I would absolutely reccommend it. I have rad it twice and it is one of the reasons whi I started wearing hijab. :D I could not put the book down it was really inspiring and very interesting to read. Although I was only looking to the book for support in wearing the headscarf it actually made me want to wear the niqaab aswell! The book is about the author's conversion to Islam and she also interviews various other sisters about their conversions and how they came to wear Hijab. MashAllah it was a great read I have bought this book for many of my friends and they have loved it too. I would definitely recommend it. :D :D :sl: :no: :sl: :j:

:j:

Lol emotion overload :sl: ^

Mashallah seems like a good book to read.

Maybe I could read it and take inspiration from it in my Islamic book. :D

Might write a book called the Story Of My Life. :sl:

:D

:no:

Salaams!

I read this book a while back, and the stories in it are really interesting. I think though, it would be more useful for a non-muslim to read, since a vast chunk of the book is spent explaining very basic Islamic ideas which we are all familiar with anyway. But a good read nonetheless.. although i didn't agree with everything the author said.

salam

Me too I read it almost 2 years ago it's good and some things in it make you laugh, but I think it's mainly designed for non Muslims like you said. But it's good to read as a Muslim not excluding the men. Sis what didn't you agree with, I remember not agree with few things she mentioned.

Avery good book, I read it like 6 months ago. I think it is best for reverted muslims, who have not got much knowledge about Islam, such as I am :sl: And it does make you want to start wearing the scarf. Although I also did not agree with absolutely everything. Well, everyone has the right to their own opinion, right?

I'd recommend it to new muslims, it's JUST the basics...