Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ummammaar

YEMENI BREAD

:D

I haven't tried this yet.

YEMENI BREAD

A layered bread that is a very popular addition to the meal at Iftar time and can be served with a number of garnishes, sweet or savoury.

Ingredients

2 1/4 cups of warm water

1/2 teaspoon yeast

2 teaspoon salt

pinch of sugar

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups of white flour (sifted)

2 1/2 cups whole wheat (sifted)

1 teaspoon onion seeds

2 cups clarified butter or ghee (melted)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, pour 2 cups of the warm water. Let it be still. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Sprinkle in the sugar. Let stand for 3 minutes. Add salt, onion seeds and one egg. Mix together. Add flour and mix together to form a dough. Knead dough by hand until it is smooth by forming it in a ball.

Place the remaining 1/4 cup of warm water in a small bowl. Sprinkle drops of water and work it into the dough. Repeat seven times or until dough is elastic.

Cover dough and let stand for one hour.

Divide dough into a few small equal balls and roll out thinly to the size of the baking tin.

Place each sheet of dough into the baking tin creating layers, adding 1 tblsp of butter (melted) in between each layer.

Continue this procedure until all of the dough is used up. You will be able to make roughly 13 or more sheets.

Trim excess dough with scissors and press edges with a fork to decorate.

Glaze with a mixture of one beaten egg and onion seeds.

Place in the oven for about 25 minutes or until top of bread is crispy and golden brown.

Bread is now ready and can be eaten on its own or served with heated honey.

PropellerAds

:D

wow you must be a real gourmet to handle all those ingredients and steps, that process would make me feel like :P

plus i'd say there's a 99 of 100 chance that i'd burn it :D

:P

AS