Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Amadis

Why are PIGS Haraam?

:D [DO NOT CHANGE COLORblue] When approached by none-muslims as to why are pigs haraam, what is the best logical answer to give rather than the myths that folks at home have been giving me (all which differ) :P one aunt told me it is because they have illicit relations i.e share partners, but so do other animals don't they? Another one was because they eat their own faeces, and one other is something to do with Prophet Isa exorsising a possessed man and the evils escaping the victim and entering nearby swines....

But Islam is scientific and has logical answers to make none believers understand clearly! Therefore am sure there is a more better explanation! Can anyone offer a different perspective? :D

PropellerAds

Salaam,

As S.L.Jackson said in Pulp Fiction.....

"I don't eat no animal which doesn't respect its own s...."

:D

W.

Here it gives a very logical answer (to satisfy non-Muslims):

Question:

Why is the eating of pork forbidden in Islam?

Answer:

The fact that consumption of pork is prohibited in Islam is well known. The following points explain various aspects of this prohibition:

3. Consumption of pork causes several diseases

The other non-Muslims and atheists will agree only if convinced through reason, logic and science. Eating of pork can cause no less than seventy different types of diseases. A person can have various helminthes like roundworm, pinworm, hookworm, etc. One of the most dangerous is Taenia Solium, which is in lay man’s terminology called tapeworm. It harbours in the intestine and is very long. Its ova i.e. eggs, enter the blood stream and can reach almost all the organs of the body. If it enters the brain it can cause memory loss. If it enters the heart it can cause heart attack, if it enters the eye it can cause blindness, if it enters the liver it can cause liver damage. It can damage almost all the organs of the body.

Another dangerous helminthes is Trichura Tichurasis. A common misconception about pork is that if it is cooked well, these ova die. In a research project undertaken in America, it was found that out of twenty-four people suffering from Trichura Tichurasis, twenty two had cooked the pork very well. This indicates that the ova present in the pork do not die under normal cooking temperature.

4. Pork has fat building material

Pork has very little muscle building material and contains excess of fat. This fat gets deposited in the vessels and can cause hypertension and heart attack. It is not surprising that over 50% of Americans suffer from hypertension.

5. Pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth

The pig is one of the filthiest animals on earth. It lives and thrives on muck, faeces and dirt. It is the best scavenger that I know that God has produced. In the villages they don’t have modern toilets and the villagers excrete in the open air. Very often excreta is cleared by pigs.

Some may argue that in advanced countries like Australia, pigs are bred in very clean and hygienic conditions. Even in these hygienic conditions the pigs are kept together in sties. No matter how hard you try to keep them clean they are filthy by nature. They eat and enjoy their own as well as their neighbour’s excreta.

6. Pig is the most shameless animal

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. In America, most people consume pork. Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; i.e. many say "you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife." If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs. We Indians look upon America to be very advanced and sophisticated. Whatever they do, we follow after a few years. According to an article in Island magazine, this practice of swapping wives has become common in the affluent circles of Bombay.

Source: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.irf(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/irf/faqonislam/index.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.irf(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/irf/faqonislam/index.htm[/url]

:P

:D sis/bro amadi for posting this, i had some idea as to why pork is forbidden but thanks to sis/bro muezza's input, i now know better and in a little more detail.

Yeah thanks Zee it is a thought provoking subject isn't it? I get people snub the 'mythical' ones which is why a logical answer was required.

Jazakallah khair to Muezza who has given a very clear perspective and for my own brother who said, just as some animals are 'taboo' in cultures, then Pigs are taboo in Islam. (EG eating of Dogs in certain cultures is ok but taboo here in the UK).

Walaikum salam

Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh,

I wonder why a 'logical' answer cannot be, Allaah subhana wa ta'ala has commanded us not to eat pork. I think that is more than sufficient. When asked why do I wear my beard as I do, it is because it distinguishes me from the non-Muslim is my answer. When asked why I leave when topics turn to sexual affairs, I answer that I leave for the sake of my imaan.

Why fear to say, "because Allaah ta'ala has commanded it or forbade it???"

Salaam,

Do we need to have "scientific" reasons for why pork is forbidden in Islam. Do we need to look for "benefits" of not eating pork. Bros and Sis(s), I would say Muslims should not eat pork because of the best reason, because Allah disallowed it, and unless he gave a specific reason why not, I wouldn't question it. The Qur'an is a miracle that Allah sent down to be obeyed without questioning, unless you are confused I guess. If we keep "justifiying" our laws and regulations we'll have to do it for all of them. Take another case: Alcohol bervages. We don't drink it because Allah ordered us not too. Now if we start adding justifications we might get stumped. For instance, a study showed drinking a little bit of wine everyday, supposedly is healthy, how would you justify it then. Take Allah's commands becaue they are Allah's command, not because it might benefit you or not. Some Muslims during the rasul's(Peace Be Upon Him) time had a lot to lose by accepting Islam, wealth power, etc. But they accepted it because it was miracle in the language sense and no one could produce one like it and therefore they knew it was the word of Allah through the prophet (peace be upon him) , from Jibreel

nobody is disputing here whether they agree or disagree with Allah's comand ( :D ) clearly what Allah has forbidden for us is because it is harmful, Allah never wants harm befalling a person......but it is very clear that he has given us a mind, with intelect and it is in human nature to feel intrigued and question things, Allah wants us to question ourselves so that we seek and make the effort in seeking for answers ourselves, this in itself is a form of reformation, reforming yourself by equipping yourself with knowledge, with knowledge comes faith, strong faith, as the mind we have been given has the capacity and ability to reason as well as look for reason....otherwise Allah would have made us robots or anything he pleased!.....centuries ago when science was in its infancy or wasnt even born, muslims continued following Allah's commands despite the lack of scientific information, because as muslims yes we do beleive that Allah's commands are enough, but back in the days giving scientific or logical answers to a non-believer were minute.........nowadays we have the opportunity to find out, so many things have now been proved through science that certain things are harmful, and consequently these are the ones that Allah has forbidden!! do you not think this sheds light on a non-believer, it is a miracle in itself which the non-believer can witness?? we have not just been given a brain to stop at what we believe and stop at ourselves, but to spread the word of Allah, to throw light in Islam and its teachings, to help guide people on the clear path, and this well includes inviting non-muslims, i dont think it helps a non-muslim if we just answer 'because Allah has said so' think about it...yes we hold Islam dearly to our hearts, we believe and have faith and trust in the one God Allah, our Imaan is in this case stronger than the non-believer and so he / she could never truley understand such an answer, yes that answer is always enough for us muslims because we believe Islam is right and the way and Allah is the one god....but many non-muslims will have difficulty grasping the concept of how 'the lord commands and you follow' notion.....most converts (or is it reverts) have turned to Islam based on them seeking knowledge and the truth through REASONING, many Islamic lectures given by the awesome scholars in this world pack their lectures with REASONING and encourage the seeking of knowledge...and Allah guides who he wills....who he wants.......

i dont know if i have made myself clear but i hope i have not offended anybody..........i believe our responsibilty towards spreading the word of God does not lie just within our houses and masjids and families and freinds, but to the non-muslims, through reasoning and Islamic education, those that are genuinely interested and want to learn, obviuosly you will get those that do not want to learn and are just hell-bent on twisting the laws and commands prescribed by Allah but we can only pray for these people, ask Allah to guide them and have his mercy on them, so that they see the light, if not then thiers is the doom, :P not yours...

:P

Edited by zee

Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuh,

The argument that we are given minds for a purpose is a false and misleading argument. The question is over how you properly explain why you enjoin that which is good and forbid all that is evil. You do not unconditionally do so from the standpoint of your aql (or reason-based knowledge).

If the question is over why we forbid pork, then again you should simply say that Allaah subhana'wa ta'ala forbids it. Reason: you do not have the ability to ascertain Allaah's purpose in detail. You are making suppositions when you give these opinions based on recent pseudo-scientific research. It sounds good to make scientific claims but they do not hold up under scrutiny. Why would not chicken be forbidden as chickens carry some diseases that are worse than those of the swine? How many of you eat crabs and shrimp? Are these creatures not also scavengers, similar to pigs? Allaah has forbade pork for his purpose, our purpose should be to follow, not make up faulty logical reasons for following it. Are we to base our deen on your science or Qur'an and Sunnah?

Why would Allaah forbid alcohol, for surely there are benefits with it? Why don't you make your more logical by saying it is better to use just a little alcohol for that is what has been determined by western science to be most recently correct? Why don't we engage in just a little unmarried sexual intercourse, for it can make people happy? We don't do so because it is disliked or forbidden by our Creator, the One in whose Hands are our hearts.

Logic and reason have their place but they cannot take a superior position to the Qur'an and the Sunnah. And I am saying this from the perspective of a professional social scientist (a western educated Historian no less). If your objective is to explain the Haqq to the non-Muslim, why not focus upon Tawheed and avoidance of shirk in all its forms. Rather, I see this need to play rhetorical games and justify Islaam with western science as an indication that we have not learned our deen ourselves. Rather than giving dawah from the perspective of Islaam's superiority based on Tawheed, we hide behind little studies which have no means of rectifying the hearts and actions of the people.

Fear Allaah, and give more importance to knowing Tawheed.

Barak'Allaah feekum, anything which I have said which is incorrect, may Allaah forgive me and may Allaah be praise for all that is correct in my statements.

Allaah's humble servant and one in much need of His rahma.

:D brother

i truely feel you have misjudged me and have taken what i mean out of context, i am not a person who demands explanations or reasons for everything and neither am i who has ever refuted what the Quran or sunnah has said, may Allah take me from the earth immediately if i ever did, but i really dont think you have understood or even tried to understand what i am saying. In all due respect, you have misinterpreted what i am trying to convey as my opinion and twisted my view. Either this or i did not make myself more clear, however i wish to not go into further discussion as your comments have made me feel very sad and hurt me too. I am not someone who is out there to play games nor like a non-believer who demands proof or existance of Allah....as that is what you may aswell compare me to based on your perception of me...

My nigerian freind at uni asked why as muslims we dont eat pork, i said because Allah has forbidden it, she replied 'but why?' i said the reasons are not stated. but that we also know this and this about it', she immediately went to her freezer and threw away all pork products and never touched them in the 3 years that i knew her, from that day onwards she became more intrigued to know about Islam, unfortunatly i have lost touch with her so i dont know if she has progressed into Islam........... but maybe you will think 'well she was a non-muslim anyway so her stopping herself from eating pork wont do her any good since she'l go to hell anyway'.....how do you know?

Allah has forbidden things and he has a given us a clear sense as to think why he has forbidden them, as we see examples of consequences everyday with people who do things that are prohibited...

Edited by zee

When asked why do I wear my beard as I do, it is because it distinguishes me from the non-Muslim is my answer.

Peace,

how do you distinguish yourself fron non-Muslims that wear beard too?

Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaah,

The post by either of us, I understand, is not to attack or demean the other. So, please, do not feel assaulted for I speak generally, not specifically to you, Zee. And here is the crux of the matter. I fully understand you point, yet I see a lack of depth in our approach to non-Muslims, when we subordinate the Qur'an and Sunnah to science when dealing with non-Muslims. We should elevate our approach by being proud and not ashamed to proclaim the statements of Allaah and then back them up with the proofs we come with from other sources.

So, I sincerely ask that you withdraw that statement of being removed from the earth for I do not see your affair as needing such a vow, rather we are two sincere people who are merely discussing with our noble brothers and sisters our understanding, not attacking and demeaning one another. Here we are two individuals who are merely differing in our emphasis, not our faith in Qur'an and Sunnah. So take this as my apology for being somewhat forceful in my argument, for it has become part of my style to make strong and somewhat forceful statements, but it is never my wish to offend my brothers and sisters in Islaam.

Barak'Allaah feek.

selam,

you may look at this site:

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.harunyahya(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/unwise03.php"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.harunyahya(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/unwise03.php[/url]

you may find something logically about pig...but it is not necessary to find it...i mean sometimes we cant explain it logically but just say we do this because Allah wants us to do for example, you know in a verse it is said :

5/3:Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked,

if it is said other name than Allah's when it is being killed , will it be harmful ? no,

but Allah wants us not to eat...just this...

Yeah thanks Zee it is a thought provoking subject isn't it? I get people snub the 'mythical' ones which is why a logical answer was required.

Jazakallah khair to Muezza who has given a very clear perspective and for my own brother who said, just as some animals are 'taboo' in cultures, then Pigs are taboo in Islam. (EG eating of Dogs in certain cultures is ok but taboo here in the UK).

Walaikum salam

You've raised an interesting question. It is not really necessary to question the God's command not to eat pork or find justifications for this command on the basis of today's scientific knowledge or the knowledge that existed in the times of Muhammad. What's forbidden is forbidden period.

What I'd like to find out is the following. If the Koran explicitly forbids pork, but doesn't mention other meats, does it mean Muslims can eat dogs or cats? I'm serious. In Korea or Vietnam, people do eat dogs and cats and rats. Is a Korean or Vietnamese Muslim allowed to eat dog or cat meat? In other words, is that which is not forbidden automatically allowed?

selam,

bro i dont know fatwa but this may be helpful...in verse

5/3:Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine.....

dead meat is forbidden to us. and this creatures eat dead meat....maybe related w/ this...

The following items have been categorically spelled out as being Haram:

Pig/Swine/Pork and its by-products.

Blood and and blood by-products.

Carnivorous animals.

Reptiles and insects.

Halal animals which are not slaughtered according to the Islamic Law.

Animals killed in the name of anyone other than God.

The bodies of dead animals or dead before slaughtering.

Alcohol and intoxicants such as Wine, Ethyl Alcohol, and Spirits etc.

The above mentioned items are Haram and should be strictly avoided by all Muslims.

Hope that answers your question :D

:w:

SOURCE: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_halal.50megs(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/halal.html"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_halal.50megs(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/halal.html[/url]

The pig is the most shameless animal on the face of the earth. It is the only animal that invites its friends to have sex with its mate. In America, most people consume pork. Many times after dance parties, they have swapping of wives; i.e. many say "you sleep with my wife and I will sleep with your wife." If you eat pigs then you behave like pigs. We Indians look upon America to be very advanced and sophisticated. Whatever they do, we follow after a few years. According to an article in Island magazine, this practice of swapping wives has become common in the affluent circles of Bombay.

Source: "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.irf(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/irf/faqonislam/index.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.irf(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/irf/faqonislam/index.htm[/url]

I can actually kind of understand why you don't like pork. Pigs are kinda dirty, and in the past they were much more prone to pass on disease than other forms of meat.

But this is a bit much. While I'm sure that the swapping of wives does happen, please don't imply that it is a majority case. Seriously, if Muslims don't want the rest of the world to judge them on what some radical fringe group of freaks does, the rest of the world would greatly appreciate it if Muslims didn't judge them in the same manner.

The kind of people who participate in wife swapping are not looked highly upon by most of us. It's just nasty, even to an agnostic American swine-eater like me.

*Edit, missed a word.

Edited by Zebra 1

my non-muslim friend ask me this same question, and i say the same answer as this, but he says "he has seen pigs living in clean condition, ie they are clean and are the only cleanest farm animals around" and then he said that cows are more dirty since they do their "poo" and then would sit on it

added to say: that do not be hurt when someone asks why has Allah asked us to do so and that we should follow his command and not question anything! if that was the case then we may aswell have been robots! but we have brains we can think for ourselves and as such questions arise in our mind!

furthermore the explanation "because Allah has commanded us to do so" is a weak one, especially infront of a non-muslim, for sometimes they say/argue that if we (muslims/believers) dont know the reasoning we simply stall them (non-muslims/atheists) by saying "because Allah has commanded us" and clearly this will only show the lack of knowledge in us as well as not putting Islam in the best light infront of non-muslims/atheists etc

Edited by shez

I can actually kind of understand why you don't like pork.  Pigs are kinda dirty, and in the past they were much more prone to pass on disease than other forms of meat.

But this is a bit much.  While I'm sure that the swapping of wives does happen, please don't imply that it is a majority case.  Seriously, if Muslims don't want the rest of the world to judge them on what some radical fringe group of freaks does, the rest of the world would greatly appreciate it if Muslims didn't judge them in the same manner.

The kind of people who participate in wife swapping are not looked highly upon by most of us.  It's just nasty, even to an agnostic American swine-eater like me.

Agreed. Generalizations such as this is pretty outrageous. Wife- swapping is not widespread in the US, and even if it were, there is no connection between behavior and consumption of food except in the cases of drugs, posioning, and intoxicants (as far as I know of). In despite of the old adage "you are what you eat", eating beef is most likely not going to give me an urge to regurgitate my food and chew it.

The bottom line is that Allah (swt) has forbiden us from eating swine, along with other specific things, and thus the consumption of swine is harmful to the health of our souls. Allah (swt) has decreed many commands that have been helpful to our state in this world, so it would not be surprising that eating pork products is deterious to one's health, but our obeying this command is not contigent upon it. We obey Allah (swt) since He knows that which we know not, and we follow Him because of our love for our Lord.

wasalam

Well i dont i know whether cat and dog are haram or not, but i dont eat cat and dog, and no one like to eat dog and cat... If you want to eat ,then eat it... People will have certain problem, in that case they might eat car and dog... We are also allowed to eat forbidden stuff, when their is no hope of halal stuff, and so we can say the name of Allah on in and then start eating it, surely Allah forgive and see..

Well i dont i know whether cat and dog are haram or not, but i dont eat cat and dog, and no one like to eat dog and cat... If you want to eat ,then eat it... People will have certain problem, in that case they might eat car and dog... We are also allowed to eat forbidden stuff, when their is no hope of halal stuff, and so we can say the name of Allah on in and then start eating it, surely Allah forgive and see..

I think they are haram dude - something about being carnivorous. Anyway, you know how yous all is saying pigs are nasty and naughty etc... but they are still creatures of God. I mean you cant be cruel to them just cause you aren't eating them! :D :D :D :P :P :D :D :(

That's a plus for Islam, Anya, that Muslims are not supposed to eat carnivorous animals... As much as I liked the Vietnamese I was disgusted to learn they like to consume dogs and "little tigers" (cats). They also eat rats, BTW. Are rats carnivorous? :D

indeed we are allowed to eat haram food if no halal food is available! BUT:

1. we should make sure that never happens

2. only eat so much that will save us from dying!