Islamic Forum
SolidSnake

Islam in China

CHA CHUAN and Muslim Systems

info_cha1.jpg

An important system in China is Cha Chuan, a fighting style developed by members of the Muslim faith. Muslim immigrants have lived in China for over 1000 years and began an especially large in-flow around the Sung Dynasty (960-1279). In China they are known as the "Hui" people. The main Muslim communities centralized around HeNan, HeBei, ShanTung and ShanXi provinces.

Though at times powerful and influential in China the Hui people have often been considered "outsiders". As an act of integration, protection and - as some Hui leaders described it - "holy practice" they not only took up the study of Chinese martial arts but excelled. Due to their differences from the typical Chinese population (wearing a white cap, not eating pork, worshipping differently) they were often "caught in the middle" much like European Jewry. As political ping pong balls they soon developed the realization that knowing martial arts was to their advantage.

Soon they were developing their own Kung Fu methods, such as 10-road Tan Tui (Spring Leg), and Cha Ch'uan. They not only developed expertise in "individual" Kung Fu but assumed important military ranks often showing exceptional bravery and loyalty to the Emperor. For instance the military expeditions which finally expelled the Mongols from control of China and started the great Ming dynasty were aided by powerful generals such as Chang Yu Chun (creator of the famous Kai Pin Spear Method), Hu Da Hai, Mu Ying, Lan Yu, Feng Sheng and Ding De Xing: each of them a Muslim martial artist.

During the Ching dynasty, when the Manchus conquered China, the Hui were so loyal the Manchus never forgave them and after the conquest passed harsh laws restricting their rights to have weapons, congregate, etc. If found violating these laws they were often branded "Hui Zui" or Hui Rebel. Humiliation and suppression was their lot for a long time.

But throughout, the Cha style has been very important in the overall martial picture. Muslim experts have been influential, for instance in:

info_cha2.jpg

Jiao Men

Cha Chuan

Tan Tui

Xing Yi (HeBei & Henan styles)

Hua Chuan

BaJi

PiQua

Liu He

Tong Bei

And other styles.

Even the name "Cha" Chuan is attributed to a transliteration of a Muslim name Chamir. The Tan Tui, one of the most famous of all Northern Chinese sets was not only developed by Muslims but originally had one road each for every letter in the 28 character Arabic alphabet.

Developed by Cha Shang Mir, the Tan Tui is about 400 years old. As the legend goes a Muslim general, Hua Zong Qi, was on a military campaign, got sick and was left behind to be nursed by peasants in a village in XinJiang. Once healed he taught, as a reward, his Spring Leg set to the locals. Tan Tui was not only a foundation to develop the beautiful, graceful and famous Cha Style but was such a rational approach that it was adopted by all sorts of other styles. Among these are the Tan Tui versions from:

Shaolin

Preying Mantis

Lost Track

Liu He

Ching Wu

Southern Shaolin

And many more including 6, 10,12, 14, 16 and 18 road routines and two-person practices.

Eventually the Cha style developed into three "family" branches: Zhang, Li and Yang. Only recently have their been efforts to reconstruct the entire system, including the essential ten core sets.

These ten sets are such typical Long Fist that when the Mainland government wanted to create "required" routines they decided to use the Cha sets as a base for what is now known as "contemporary Wushu" because they were relatively unchanged for centuries. Though in some ways a representative Long Fist style, Cha has some added flavors distinctly its own. It emphasizes a graceful series of actions but with unusual timing and angle changes. Some sets, such as the first set normally taught - Cha Road #4 - are so famous that many styles, such as Northern Shaolin, have a version. But all versions display at least some of Cha's distinctive timing and changes.

A truly great and proud style with a long past

info_cha3.jpg

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_cclib.nsu.ru/projects/satbi/satbi-e/martart/wushu/moslems/index.html"]Source[/url]

PropellerAds
:P

I hope someone else can answer this question, but from reading some news recently and having watched a documentary a few years back. China is a communist country. They are not allowed to believe in a religion until they are 18. It is really hard for the muslims there. Not many wear hijab. You cannot sell the Quran in a bookstore. Everything is under the control of the communists. Please let me know if anything I "learned" is not true.  :D Allahu alam.

I have to say that it is unilateral what you learned from news.I am a Hui in Beijing,I feel we are free and we can join our annual feast by our mode and way.Many people come to Masjid from far and near,they do worship together and resume a meat diet together :D

Just like what you see from pictures,there are many muslims in China.They devoutly come to Masjid and finish their homework of muslim every day.

I hope someone else can answer this question, but from reading some news recently and having watched a documentary a few years back. China is a communist country. They are not allowed to believe in a religion until they are 18. It is really hard for the muslims there. Not many wear hijab. You cannot sell the Quran in a bookstore. Everything is under the control of the communists. Please let me know if anything I "learned" is not true. Allahu alam.

I've spent several weeks in Yunan, China. The brothers and sisters in China are very very hospitable. Anyway, my view, generally, the Muslims in China are free to do ibadah as well as service to the community. Nevertheless, with regards to learning and dakwah, it is rather very very limited. Hence, I've met several Imams of masjids who could not even recite surah Al-fatiha well/properly.

Chinese Muslims are amazing!

But i have to ask, how can there be a female imam? I've seen on TV that there are female imams in China.

Welcome, brother and salaams to the ummah in China!

How can't there be a female imam in China? There is no Qu'ranic law against females taking on the tradition of Islamic scholarship.

Besides, female imams in China are imams FOR FEMALES ONLY. They do not work in male Masjids.

salam wa alikum,

welcome to the forum brother, which part of china are you from?

OK, that's nice to know that females aren't supressed in the Muslim part of China. :D

Don't the Chinese Muslims have their own versions of Islamic names?

salam wa alikum,

Thanks for the welcome. I am actually not a new member here.

I do not live in China.

Yes, Chinese Muslims do have their own version of Islamic names. For assimilation purposes during the Ming dynasty, names like Mohammed, Mahmout, Moustafa, etc, came to be "Ma." The majority of Hui Muslims in China have the last name Ma. However, their first names are often distinctly Chinese.

This is not the case at all in Xinjiang, where Muslims are not "Chinese," but rather very Turkic in every aspect. There's little that can be said that is Chinese about them.

Chinese Muslims are amazing!

But i have to ask, how can there be a female imam? I've seen on TV that there are female imams in China.

Welcome, brother and salaams to the ummah in China!

China has no the female imans, don't belief in TV what said.

salam wa alikum,

Thanks for your welcome.I came from the southern of China

sorry ! I don't know a lot of English!

There are very very few. Just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean there aren't any. I'm sure the number is not substantial, but the fact that there are shows something. And I did not get this from the TV.

I mean, i don't have nething against a woman having a high Islamic position but not an imam. What high positions can there be for women? Sorry for going off topic... :D

Edited by Introvert

selam,

thx bro lizhong for pictures they are beatiful....and i remember the masjids you posted before if went down they were great...i guess i cant want you post again :D

I have to say that it is unilateral what you learned from news.I am a Hui in Beijing,I feel we are free and we can join our annual feast by our mode and way.Many people come to Masjid from far and near,they do worship together and resume a meat diet together :D

Just like what you see from pictures,there are many muslims in China.They devoutly come to Masjid and finish their homework of muslim every day.

what i know . there is no problem with moslems but the turkish people....they even try to decrease population of them and make nuclear works in their areas...and many of them suffer from cancer.....and some more........

selam,

thx bro lizhong for pictures they are beatiful....and i remember the masjids you posted before if went down they were great...i guess i cant want you post again  :D

then I post something new

2004121317235249.jpg

2004121317254853.jpg

2004121317293921.jpg

women prayer place

2004121317304733.jpg

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah sister,

I had some questions about China. I want to go there for business and neither I or my mahram are Chinese. My questions are too many to write out here so can you PM me? :D

Thanks for the welcome. I am actually not a new member here.

I do not live in China.

Yes, Chinese Muslims do have their own version of Islamic names. For assimilation purposes during the Ming dynasty, names like Mohammed, Mahmout, Moustafa, etc, came to be "Ma." The majority of Hui Muslims in China have the last name Ma. However, their first names are often distinctly Chinese.

This is not the case at all in Xinjiang, where Muslims are not "Chinese," but rather very Turkic in every aspect. There's little that can be said that is Chinese about them.

By Turkic do you mean Caucasian looking? Do you have any pictures of the different ethnic groups in China?