Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
eeps24

9 Wives

:D

in Islam you can have up to 4 wives...........but then why did the prophet SAAW have 9?

PropellerAds

asalam aleikum,

Have 4 wives at the same time that is, but the Prophet had 9 wives, all in different times.

Masalam

^ I don't get what you mean... If you meant that Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) had 4 wives at any given time, he didn't. He had a total of 9 wives, all at the same time. :D

---

*{If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, Marry women of your choice, Two or three or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess, that will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice.}* (Al-An`am 6: 3)

On hearing this order, all who men who had more than four wives divorced them, in full submission to God's orders. The divorced wives - who accepted this divine decree with full satisfaction, implied by their deep faith - soon found other marriages and lead normal lives. Nevertheless, the Prophet (may peace be upon him) - who had nine wives at the time the order was revealed - was exempted from this order in a later verse of Qur’an which gives the meaning of:

*{O Prophet! We have made lawful to thee thy wives to whom thou hast paid their dowers; ...}* (Al-Ahzab 33: 50)

This exemption was because there was a prohibition in the Qur’an for any Muslim to marry the Prophet's wives once he died or divorced them:

*{...Nor is it right for you that ye should annoy God's Apostle, or that ye should marry his widows after him at any time. Truly such a thing is in God's sight an enormity.}* (Al-Ahzab 33: 53)

So, it was rather inhuman for his wives to be doomed to solitude and depravity all their lives. Thus he was exceptionally permitted to keep them.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.islamonline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/askaboutislam/display.asp?hquestionID=2679"]Source[/url]

Edited by mm_ca04

then if he had 9 at the same time.......why is the rule 4? or for him it was different?

Edited by eeps24

^^ ?? :D

Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) had 11 wives, 2 had passed away in his lifetime, and therefore he had a total of 9. Allah :D specifically permitted him to have this many, as explained in the previous post... :D

Edited by mm_ca04

As Salamu Alaikum

Qur'an was revealed in a 23 year time period, keep that in mind.

Read this verse:

"It is not lawful for thee (to marry more) women after this, nor to change them for (other) wives, even though their beauty attract thee, except any thy right hand should possess (as handmaidens): and Allah doth watch over all things. " (Qur'an 33:52)

The above verse was also revealed in Madina and since this is Surah Al-Ahzab (Surah 33) this is considered the 90th Surah in chronological order. Also note that this verse allows the Prophet (saw) to keep his wives.

The "up to four" wives limit was revealed in Qur'an 4:3. Surah Al-Nisa (Surah 4) was also revealed in Madina and in chronological order of revelation its considered as the 92nd Surah.

So in order; Allah (swt) had stopped the marrying of wives for the Prophet (saw) except any of those that his right hand possesses. And therefore later it would be revealed that the believers are only to marry up to four.

Besides Khadijah (ra) who was his first and only wife till her death. Hafsa (ra) was the daughter of the second Caliph Umar (ra) and Aisha was the daughter of Caliph Abu Bakr (ra). The other marriages were due to political and social reform.

I hope this helps. I also refer to the works of Dr. Zakir Naik (irf(contact admin if its a beneficial link)).

If I have made an error may Allah forgive me.

Fahid

^^ ?? :D

Rasulullah (Salallahu Alayhi Wasallam) had 11 wives, 2 had passed away in his lifetime, and therefore he had a total of 9.  Allah :D specifically permitted him to have this many, as explained in the previous post... :D

Edited by eeps24

:D i did read he had more than 9 on ask imam, i told some people i made a mistake because i lied? i didnt know what i was saying... did i lie about the prophet then? i didnt intentionally do it i read it somewhere i am being honest :D

asalam aleikum,

Haha, i thought he had them in seperate times, thank you for clearing it up.

Masalam

Salam

Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam is the leader of mankind. Muhammad was the leader of the people. Muhammad was the army leader. We know about the roles of the prophet from the sahaba radhiallah anhu through the ahadith. We know about the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah, Mighty and Majestic is He through the hadith and the reports of the sahaba.

Well, not everyone of us will be a military leader, or a sultan, or a leader of the masses, or an Imam. However, everyone of us will be a leader of the household.

Now, who were the ones who reports from the sunnah of the prophet regarding family matters and leading the household. There were many sahaba witnessing what Muhammad saw did. But the sahaba could not be in his house all the time to watch what he did during the night or in privacy. Abu Bakr would never just sit in the room watching him praying. But who are the ones who reported from the sunnah of the prophet regarding private matters and household. The only people who could witness him in his privacy were his wives. There were many sahaba but there were not many wives. Regarding household matters there were not many witnesses. The wives are the sahaba inside the household. They tell us what he did during the night, how Muhammad spend the night, how he slept, and how he treated his wives at home? The sahaba could not sneak through the windows.

The more wives the more witnesses. The wives are the sahaba inside the house. If ten wives tell report that Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam slept on his right side facing the kaaba then the report is more reliable than as if only one wife reported it. Ten witnesses are better than one or four.

Remember, his goal also was to form a nation. Tribalism needed to be abolished. The sahaba were from different tribes or clans, so he married their daughters so that the tribalism is gone. The sahaba became blood relatives to Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam which strengthened the bonds between the Messenger and his Sahabah.

a very interesitng read. :D for sharing the info.

Regarding the number of Wives the Prophet Muhammad (saw) had in his lifetime, there are certain agreements and disagreements.

So we look at it as follows:

First Opinion = 11 Wives

Second Opinion = First Opinion + Mariya (ra) the Egyptian Coptic = 12 Wives

Third Opinion = Second Opinion + Rayhanah (ra) the Jewish = 13 Wives

The First Opinion, is seen as the most agreed upon.

The Second Opinion includes Mariya (ra) who was an Egyptian Coptic Christian and was a Concubine given as a gift to the Prophet Muhammad (saw). She also bore his son Ibrahim (ra) who would pass away in his infancy. There are very few sources regarding her as an actual Wife (in hadiths). Early texts had regarded her as only a Concubine. Mariya (ra) unfortunately lived for 3 years with the Prophet (saw) and 5 years thereafter she had passed away.

The Third Opinion, there may not be any real hard evidence that the Prophet Muhammad (saw) had in fact married Rayhanah (ra) who was a Jewish Concubine. However some do believe this to be a fact.

Regardless Allah knows Best.

Fahid

As-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu

For the same reasons the Prophet (pbuh) was permitted to fast continuously.

The Prophets (pbut) are exceptional.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/resources/Questions/qa00002633.aspx"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.sunnipath(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/resources/Questions/qa00002633.aspx[/url]

W'as-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu

jazakallah for all the information that has been shared. this surely clears up some fog i've had in my mind lately :D

AS

As Salaam Alaikum,

Fromy my understanding it wasn't a matter of giving Prophet Muhammad the speceal permission of 9 wives... but rathar when the verse was revealed to only have up to 4 he had already had those 9 wives..... my mother says that the verse that talks about him not being allowed taking anymore wives, even after one may had pass, supports this.... so he can get down to just 4 wives.

salaam

Assalamu Alaikum, Sr. DemaChanRas, I am unable to understand what you wrote, or what your mother implied to be exact. Could you please rephrase it for me, JazaakAllahu Khairan, Wassalamu Alaikum, Sr. Masoom.

Please re-phrase what you said sis Dema.. Cuz I am confused as well.

but rathar when the verse was revealed to only have up to 4 he had already had those 9 wives.....

I believe you are saying here when the command to limit the number of wives to four, Rasulullah :D already had nine wives. While that is true, there were many companions (Radiallahu Anhum) who had more than four wives, and when the command came, they divorced some of their wives so that they would have four wives only.

Rasulullah :D was exceptionally allowed.

If you're making statement, always base it on something from the Quran and Hadith and/or proove it to us with the means of a fatwa. Its important that we do not infer what we want from incidents that have taken place. :D

in Islam you can have up to 4 wives...........but then why did the prophet SAAW have 9?

As-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu

Before the ayah was revealed that limited the number of wives to 4, Muslims could have as many wives as they wanted, and many had more than 4.

When the ayah was revealed, many were advised by the Rasool (sallah Allahu aleihi wa sallam) to divorce all but four, but they could keep them if they wanted, as long as not more than 4 were married after that verse was revealed, but Rasool Allah (sallah Allahu aleihi wa sallam) kept all of his wives.

W'as-Salaamu aleikum wa rahmat Allah wa barakatahu