Islamic Forum
ummammaar

Islam in Egypt

Alsalamo alikom,

my name is Noha i'm from Egypt, and... i don know what exaclty do u wanna talk about, but i'm glad to find egyptian sisters and brothers here.

PropellerAds
essalamu alikum

everybody is welcomed here in egypt, i'm sure if u ask anyone who visited before, he'll tell u how ppl here r very welcoming :D

essalamu alikum

hello everybody, I'm Ahmed from egypt, I was checking this forums as i am a member in it froma little long time but unfortunately I'm not so active around here which I will try to change later.

anyway, back to topic, about people are welcoming here is yes i agree with Nile, but about Islam In egypt, true muslims are rare to find, people who prays are countable & are very little in numbers, girls are nearly nude, familys don't have any kind of faith anymore as many familys now admit the relation of Boy-friend, girl-friend.

So Islam is in a very bad situation here, no one guides to the good. I'm 20 years old & at college & most of my friends all they think about is sex & drugs or in another words women & drugs, going back to Gahelia days.

We need a hero, or someone who would fight with no looking back for Islam, for letting muslims see the treasure they have. I hope this one shows up soon.

I hope everyone works to be this kind of hero, so that our people get better.

thank you all & Salamo Alikom w Rahmet Allah w barkatoh

I have heard that Al Azhar University in Cairo has lost some of it's respectibility and prestige. Are there still good teachers and ulama there that teach pure Islam?

Are there many good, practicing Muslims in Cairo?

Is beard banned in Egypt?

:D

yea i've heard that beard is banned in egypt, & if women work they arnt allowed to wear their hijaab!!

something to do with the president there

Allah help them!!

tc ma salaamah

xx :D

This question is directed at the Muslims currently living in Cairo or ones that have lived there for a while previously.

Generally, is there alot of bid'ah in Cairo or do you find most people following and practicing pure Islam?

:D

yea i've heard that beard is banned in egypt, & if women work they arnt allowed to wear their hijaab!!

Allah help them!!

tc ma salaamah

xx :D

I have heard that Al Azhar University in Cairo has lost some of it's respectibility and prestige. Are there still good teachers and ulama there that teach pure Islam?

Are there many good, practicing Muslims in Cairo?

:D warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

No that is not the case, they still have a high reputation for their teachings, people have this misconception about wrong things being taught in Azhar university about Islam which is not true. I myself had waswas until visiting the place and looking at what is taught. Alhamdulillah, Islam is as it has always been and there are numerous teachers and ulama who teach there.

Azhar also teaches medicine etc and in that field it lacks in comparison to other universities such as Aaynu shams and Cairo.

As for your second question, yes there are practising muslims although i would have liked the percentage to be higher than i see it. Having said that Allah knows about the hearts of mankind.

No, wearing the hijaab is not banned nor is having a beard banned. Also women are allowed to work with hijaab.

Generally, is there alot of bid'ah in Cairo or do you find most people following and practicing pure Islam?

I have not seen any bid'ah

Allahu'Alim

Salaams

In February this year my dad and i visited Egypt, we lived in a village in Tanta.I had this impression that you would not find females with hijaab, niqaab etc, but alhamdulillah there were many, i was not the odd one out.

The people in the village were very welcoming and very nice.

About bidaah, yes there is a bit at the masjids, like at the masjid of Sayyiddah Zaynab in Cairo etc, in all countries its just the same.

May Allah Ta'aala guide us all and keep us steadfast on Siraate Mustaqeem.

salam alikum

hijab is not band in public for sure, but it would be banned in some jobs, like if ur working on national TV as a presenter, u cant get the job, they dont want to show that Islamic image on national TV, but u can still work behind camera

As for men with beards, i have faced it my self, i was not accepted in a job cuz of my beard, although i dont have that huge one, but al hamdullilah, i didnt accept it.

As for azhar, i'm sure they are very respectable institue, but feel they only teach Islam, and not implement it in our daily life, i dont hear the word, that egypt is a " muslim country" much these days. It seems that they dont want to upset anyone.

Tanta.....oh... u missed the great event there, they have a guy called sayed badwai, they have his grave in a masjed there, and on his birthday....... they celebrate it in a week time, cuz lost of comers from all over egypt go there for the blessing, they say like around 5 million or more....more than hajj !!!!!

but al hamdullilah alot of ppl now learn the real sunnah, and insha Allah it will be okay

This question is directed at the Muslims currently living in Cairo or ones that have lived there for a while previously.

yes there is, usually near the masjeds that has graves in it, and there's alot of these aorund cairo

peace be upon you all...

i'm not an Egyptian but i've been living in Egypt for 3 years... In my opinion, Egypt really has its extremes. in one place you can see people who are soo concerned about religion, but in the other place they might seem very undevout (especially the place where i'm supposed to be in). i barely talk about religion with my friends (bacuse most of them are from another religion or atheist) but when it comes to the topic, i feel quite bereft. simply because i'm turkish anyways and in my country it is really difficult to live your religion as you want to, so our expectations were abandoned when i saw the same thing in an Islamic Arap country, such as Egypt.

when it comes to the higab, no it is not banned or anything. im going to an american school but alhamdullillah i have no such problem. it is just not seen as an ethical, modernized issue.. we need to get over it inshaallah..

(no offense) about living pure Islam, Egyptian people do not consider many of the facts of Islam, especially about being clean. for most of them, it is very normal to go into a masque with shoes!! when i warned a lady, her answer simply was "the prophet Muhammed (pbuh) once went to the mesjid with his shoes so it is not haram"..anyways everywhere has its own problems, yet I feel blessed for being in Egypt..

for most of them, it is very normal to go into a masque with shoes!! when i warned a lady, her answer simply was "the prophet Muhammed (pbuh) once went to the mesjid with his shoes so it is not haram"..anyways everywhere has its own problems, yet I feel blessed for being in Egypt..

salam alikum

most of them !!! sister i live in egypt all my life ...and i been to different cities in it....i never seen anyone going into a masjed iwth shoes on ..... can you explain more please ..i would love to hear that story :sl:

salam alikum

salam alikum

most of them !!! sister i live in egypt all my life ...and i been to different cities in it....i never seen anyone going into a masjed iwth shoes on ..... can you explain more please ..i would love to hear that story :sl:

salam alikum

well yes..it was wrong to say most of them maybe but believe me i have seen so many people wearing shoes inside mesjids. the first time i saw that happen was in Alexandria. a woman came into the mesjid with her daughter and they didnot take off their shoes. i felt that i had to warn the woman however she was appearently older than me..so i doubted..a very old lady told her to take off her shoes but she ignored...later i told her it was haram and she shouldve taken it off..then she shouted at me and then she gave me that answer that i wrote before...(it is of course sad that people interpret incidences wrongly) i saw the same thing in other mesjids as well..however then i just kept quiet...so that's basically it...but i owe all Egyptians an apology.i shouldnt have said "most of them"...

its okay sister .. no need for apology .. there r more worng things here than going into a masjed with a shoe .. which actually is not a sin if the shoe is tahir :sl: ... so masjed that has graves in r one of the major issues ... like the big one in tanta .. i hope u can ask about it and mainly what happens there !!! :sl:

Assalamu alykom

This is my first post in forum; I found this article interesting to me, as I am Egyptian :sl:

in my point of view the problems muslims face here in egypt are not banning beard or veil as some non-egyptian brothers and sisters said, these are not officially banned and if u visit egypt u will find many men with beard and women with veil, may be they are banned in some specific jobs (which may include people who work in army, police, television, tourism, ...)

the major problem for muslim here is ignorance

for poor people, most of them don't know reading and writing, then how do they teach their religion? they hear deen from non-specialized people who teach the bida' like supplicating to the graves of whom they call holy people (A'olia' Allah)

for rich people, although many of them are well cultured, but they take the religion as a social practice (not with strong belief) just praying, fasting and that's all, no one have the potential to think or plan how to improve muslims situation in his community even he don't think how to improve his own faith

well, i think that the solution will be for every one of us to start teaching himself and people around him

:sl:

I would like more info. please.

What good authentic Islamic practices exist there, and what bidah's and things from culture over there conflict with the Quran and Sunnah, for dawa purposes?

What jobs can a western mutanaqiba get over there?

What are some good places to learn fusha and gain authentic knowledge at a low cost or for free? Are scholarships offered?

What if, maadhAllah, someone cannot find work, how would one get zakah?

What are some of the good Islamic and general bookstores in Al-Qahira? Please provide their addresses and phone numbers, too.

I would like more info. please.

What good authentic Islamic practices exist there, and what bidah's and things from culture over there conflict with the Quran and Sunnah, for dawa purposes?

I have discussed an issue of masjeds with graves in it here, so thts a huge bidah issue in egypt, and still u will find more bidah stuff here, but still insha Allah if u want to stay on t he safe path u can easly do it

What jobs can a western mutanaqiba get over there?

not that easy for mutanaqiba to find much jobs .. adding u will be not a resident .. so tht could be more hard even if u didnt have hijab

What are some good places to learn fusha and gain authentic knowledge at a low cost or for free? Are scholarships offered?

not much aware of these places, but i can ask around for the good ones with low cost , and i dont really think there wold be a scholarship cuz they r mainly doing it for profit

What if, maadhAllah, someone cannot find work, how would one get zakah?

tht wold be so tough, u must be like really poor to get zakah here, and it wont cover alot of expenses, just the surviving needs

What are some of the good Islamic and general bookstores in Al-Qahira? Please provide their addresses and phone numbers, too.

i dont really know how to help in getting u addresses and phones .. but there are good ones here al hamdullilah

Can someone please provide me information for Al-Azhar University in Cairo? I'm planning on attending an Islamic University, so I'm doing my research. There's not much that I found on Al-Azhar University since their website is in Arabic, unfortunately I can't understand Arabic.

Are there accommodations for students who come from other countries? Do they teach in English? How much does it cost? If a female wants to study there, does she have to have a mahram with her? Stuff like that. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

:sl: warahmatullaahi wabarakatuh,

I'm planning on attending an Islamic University,

May Allaah make it easy on you, Aameen.

Are there accommodations for students who come from other countries?

I don't know if the Jaami'a actually has specific places accomodated for foreign students. The students I know all live near by or live with other students but the accomodation is not provided by the jaami'at.

Do they teach in English?

In short no. To do certain courses there is a requirement, e.g that you have completed their version of 6th form (last two years before University) or the last year atleast. All classes are taught in arabic and therefore I would recommend that you firstly go to an arabic institute and get a good grip in arabic. A year is more than sufficient and you can then ask what courses you're allowed to enter. Note that if you want to do the Shari'ah program for example, you have to have qualification from Masr and you have to go through various examination. From reciting ahadeeth to Qur'aan and knowing the basic and so forth.

How much does it cost?

The last time I checked, it doesn't cost. Its free. However, because it is free, you find that there are students who are just there bila ma3'na and they do not benefit but waste their time. You can ask for private tuition but likewise you can equally benefit from studying their under the free education. It depends on your motivation. The teachers are there to teach.

If a female wants to study there, does she have to have a mahram with her?

Like sister Ummammaar, no, but it helps to have someone, even if it is a group of sisters.

Wallaahu'3llaam. My knowledge is based on what I know from 2006-2007, things may have changed now.

I hope that was beneficial.

Hayyakillaah

Every country has there good and bad, ive been to Egypt 3 times now, im there at the moment, had a few free months so i thaught il not waste time so i came here to study, i was studying privately from a book called Bayna Yadayk (arabic between your hands), i managed to complete 3 levels Allhamdolillah, il be returning back after few days insha'Allah. Egypt is very good to seek knowledge, Masha'Allah you can benefit alot from here, compared to when i last came here 4 years ago i have seen more sisters with Niqab and more brotheres with beards, the thing i like about egypt is that there is a masjid or musallah anywhere you go, im living in Nasr city and masha'Allah i have 4 masjids around my flat.

On the other hand, alot of Shabab are misguided here, they love there smoking, ive seen sisters in Hijabs smoking, sometimes i think why are they wearing Hijab? SubhanAllah they are dressed but still naked and they have the Hijab on.

My freind here has started a school where you can learn Arabic via skype from qualified teachers here from the comfort of your own home,if anyone is intrested they can chek it out (you are not allowed to post links yet)"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_simplyarabiconline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_simplyarabiconline(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/[/url]

Edited by Al Farooq

So there are alot of Islamic institues for people to study? Where could we get info on different Islamic/Arabic courses?

I also wanted to ask (to those who are there/have been to Egypt); if you could spend 1 week in Egypt; where would you go and what would you do?

we alikum eslam

1 week would be mainly around Cairo .. you can also go for like 1 day during that week to Alexandria ..its like 2 hours drive from Cairo .. hope you enjoy .. I know I gave too much info lol

salam alikum

Greetings all. !ÇáÓáÇã Úáíßã

Someone here mentioned Fajr Center. I have spent hours looking at every site for all the schools in Cairo. I have found this one to not only be most extensive, but least expensive, and seems more Islamic oriented. Most other schools seem like they are aimed at non-Muslim students. Which is great! Just not what I really am looking for (They show very sexy, half dressed girls in class with men on some sites. I cannot study anything in that environment. Fajr has separate gender classes).

They are really cheap too. Most languages schools in the world cost $10-15,000USD for a 1-1.5 yr class. Fajr is $800-1200. Even a simple person like me can afford that! (not to mention rent in Egypt is pennies compared to the USA. Most people pay more for a parking place here for their car, than the price or a 3 bedroom in Egypt!)

I just got a grant from the Veteran's Affairs for my Army service! Now I pursue the dreams I've had for many years! Alhamdulillah!

I have a question about dress in Egypt. In the US, I dress western, but wear a kufi. That alone is enough to get me looks everywhere, even in big cities. And gets me stopped 6 times for "random" inspections at every airport. Even though MANY world cultures and religions wear a similar hat. Not to mention I am of Polish and German decent. I am pale white, large-framed, and have blue eyes! lol No one is safe from American paranoia!(of course everyone at Masjid always thinks I'm Syrian. lol)

I understand Egypt is very Western. And despite being more conservative, Egyptians dress pretty much like Americans.

MY QUESTION: I was wondering if it would be advisable to wear a thawb?

In America, wearing a thawb would probably get me shot. And while most people don't wear them in Egypt, it's not uncommon. There are a lot of reasons why I would like to wear a thawb. It is modest, traditional, and comfortable (I wear one for Juma and Khutba).

I am strong in faith, but I am also open-minded about others. I do a lot of inter-faith relations with Christians and Jews especially (and know Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Coptic, Syriac, Aramaic, etc. And their holy writings). However, I want to give the airs of one who is in Egypt for faith, moral strength, and study. I understand there are a lot of temptations in Egypt, as anywhere else. I want people to have an idea of my intents, just my looking at me.

Will wearing thawb demonstrate this? Or is Egypt so western I will just look like a freak? Or a religious nut, that no one will want to approach or talk to, for fear or religious conviction?

Thank you all fro your time and reading this!