Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
penitant brother

Islam And The Writings Of Enoch (idris)

Assalaam Aleikum.

The catholic church dismisses the writings of Enoch as apocryphal, having gone as far as deleting the writings from the Bible.

Theologians and scholars from every corner of the world have credited him as being the father of arithmetic, astrology and the alphabet.

He was also reported to be 365 yrs old and one of gods most beloved prophets along with mohammed (pbuh).

What is the view of his writings within the eyes of the Islamic faith? His books are very different from what i was raised to believe; and so i wonder if Islam rejects his work as strongly as the christians do?

Peace and thanks.

PropellerAds
Assalaam Aleikum.

The catholic church dismisses the writings of Enoch as apocryphal, having gone as far as deleting the writings from the Bible.

Assalamu'Alaikum penitant brother,

May the peace of God (swt) be with you. Ameen.

Truly penitance is the gateway to God, so I hear is the contrite of heart.

Theologians and scholars from every corner of the world have credited him as being the father of arithmetic, astrology and the alphabet.

These are all notable things, friend but they speak nothing of his character or his heart. Should such notable things suggest qualities of a Man of God (swt)? Perhaps you should have offered his other qualities?

He was also reported to be 365 yrs old and one of gods most beloved prophets along with mohammed (pbuh).

Truly, one's faith makes one beloved of God (swt) not age but a venerable age suggests favor.

What is the view of his writings within the eyes of the Islamic faith? His books are very different from what i was raised to believe; and so i wonder if Islam rejects his work as strongly as the christians do?.

I most tell you friend, I not little of Enoch (indris) but I know he was penitent before God (swt). Truly a wise man to seek His favor. Ameen.

Wa'salaam Wa' Barak'Allah.

Peace penitant brother!

In the Qur'an Allah :D mentions Idris (alaihe salam) as follows (meaning of the translation):

19:56 Also mention in the Book the case of Idris: He was a man of truth (and sincerity), (and) a prophet:

19:57 And We raised him to a lofty station. 

I have a book called "Stories of the Prophets" that I downloaded from this site before the previous service providor suddenly went out of business. Unfortunately, I cannot copy/paste the write-up. Suggest you go to "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.divineislam.co.uk/DivineIslam/Software/Prophets_Stories/"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.divineislam.co.uk/DivineIslam/S...ophets_Stories/[/url] and download it free from there.

What it says basically is that he was the first Prophet after Adam and his son Seth (alaihe salam), he was in the fifth generation from Adam (alaihe salam). It is said that he was the first to invent the basic form of writing. There is no mention of any books, but there is mention of his wise sayings, some of which are quoted. My research tells me that the books have been ascribed to him, but are not necessarily his. God Knows best.

Peace out.

PS : WHy do the Catholics dismiss the writings of a man who is considered a Prophet by the Jews and Muslims?

PS : WHy do the Catholics dismiss the writings of a man who is considered a Prophet by the Jews and Muslims?

Salaam.

I was told that they were vicious lies by my priest while in school.

As i remember the story, it was written that God told a group of archangels to watch over mankind but under no circumstance to interfere or be seen.

Well a couple were jealous of man because he was given a free will, and decide to ignore the will of god and take human wives, and teach man the acts of war and violence. Gabriel, the highest of the archangels found out and reported them to God.They scorned HIS forgivness and were cast down from heaven to become 'the fallen ones' - jezebel, azazel, bealzebub,shemyaza and satanel are the only names that have stuck in my mind. They then corrupted half of mankind with wickedness and evil doings. This is why the 10 commandments were needed to guide mankind back from the edge of ruin.

Jezebel was also suppose to have been given to Adam as his wife ( before Eve), but refused to lay under him as she felt it was 'beneath her station'. This is why God took a rib and made Eve.

If there are any gaps in this much reduced version,please forgive me as i heard it over15 years ago.

Peace to you all.

Walaik!

But this story does not say anything against Enoch/Idrees (alaihe salam). Moreover, it is all made up. In Islam, we are told that ALL angels are good and they will not stop to question the Will of Allah :D. It is only the Jinns and humans who have a free will to decide and choose between good and evil. Satan is a Jinn who had a higher rank, and was amongst the Angels when Adam (alaihe salalm was made and the angels (and he) were asked to bow in front of Adam as he was the best of all Creation. Satan revolted because of his arrogance.

Peace out.

Walaik!

But this story does not say anything against Enoch/Idrees (alaihe salam). Moreover, it is all made up. In Islam, we are told that ALL angels are good and they will not stop to question the Will of Allah :D. It is only the Jinns and humans who have a free will to decide and choose between good and evil. Satan is a Jinn who had a higher rank, and was amongst the Angels when Adam (alaihe salalm was made and the angels (and he) were asked to bow in front of Adam as he was the best of all Creation. Satan revolted because of his arrogance.

Grace and Peace to you all,

I guess we see why Catholics reject these books. I don't think it is correct that Catholics reject Enoch, they reject these stories as being authentic.

Aburafay, Jewish and Christian Scripture identify Satan as a "fallen" Angel and speak nothing of jinn. Aren't jinn found and other semitic folklore which predates the revelation of Muhammad?

Peace 4 Real.

Edited by Ignatius

Asalaam Aleikum,

If you would like to know about the 'book of enoch' as mentioned in Surah Maryam ayat 56, then please use this link to his writings. He prophesised the coming of Isa and Mohammed (Peace and Love of Allah be upon them) before the Flood of Noah.

Fisrt read (www.)"http://reluctant-messenger/enoch.htm"]this[/url]

and then (www.)"http://reluctant-messenger/book_of_enoch.htm"]this[/url]

May you find it as inspiring as i did

Wasalaam

Walaik!

There seems to be some problem. When I click on the link, I open up this topic. Please check whether the problem is with your link creation or with the website.

Indeed Allah :D gave powers to some prophets to predict the future.

Wassalam