Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crystal_sword

Us Group Says Anti-muslim Crimes Up

:D

A leading US Islamic civil rights group has released a report that indicates anti-Muslim hate crimes in the country have increased by half in the past year.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations' (Cair) study - the only annual investigation of its kind - outlined 1522 incidents and experiences of anti-Muslim violence, discrimination or harassment in 2004.

The figure, according to Cair's Unequal Protection report published on Thursday, is 50% higher than an assessment made in 2003.

The rights group said factors contributing to the sharp increase in reported incidents included the lingering impact of post-9/11 fears, increased awareness of civil rights issues in the Muslim community and a general increase in anti-Muslim rhetoric.

Other factors for growth in the number of incidents may also include an increase in local Cair chapters reporting cases and alleged abuses associated with the implementation of national security policies.

Worst offenders

Ten states accounted for almost 79% of all incidents reported to Cair in 2004, with the majority of attacks reported in California, followed by New York, Arizona, Virginia, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Maryland, New Jersey and Illinois.

By far the greatest increase over last year, in both real and proportional terms, occurred in the areas of unreasonable arrests, detentions, searches/seizures, and interrogations.

PropellerAds

In 2003, complaints concerning law enforcement agencies accounted for only 7% of all reported incidents. In 2004, however, these reports rose to almost 26% of all cases.

But not all the news was bad. There were drops in certain categories from the previous year's report.

For example, workplace discrimination complaints constituted nearly 23% of complaints in 2003, but dropped to just under 18% of total complaints in 2004.

Complaints involving governmental agencies decreased from 29% in 2003 to 19% in 2004.

Report comments

Cair Legal Director Arsalan Iftikhar, also the report's author, said the findings "come as no surprise given growing Islamophobic sentiments and a general misperception of Islam and Muslims".

Iftikhar said the phenomenon of Islamophobia would be addressed at a Cair conference, called Islamophobia and Anti-Americanism: Causes and Remedies, to be held on Saturday in Washington DC.

Cair Executive Director Nihad Awad added that the rights watchdog called on "President Bush ... to once again speak out against Islamophobic attitudes".

Awad also called on Congress to hold hearings on the findings of Cair's report.

Cair began documenting anti-Muslim incidents following the 1995 attack on the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City. The council is America's largest Islamic civil liberties group, with 31 regional offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_english.aljazeera(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/NR/exeres/8D3AB7A8-F9D1-4BE5-A8E5-B1B04561EE07.htm"]Source[/url]

Do you what the statistics are in muslim countries for discrimination against non muslims?

Why don't you enlighten us Yurt.

I'd love too, however, as you and I both know, Arab government do not publish those statistics unlike their western counterparts. My statistics are from my Church's oversees ministry magazines, which you would no doubt call biased. For instance, they mention that a few months ago over 100 Christians were arrested in Saudi Arabia because their numbers were too big. I could go on if you like.

All Arab countries allow other religions except Saudi Arabia.. bcoz that land is exclusively for Islam, just the Vaitican is for Catholics. In Saudi, u don't get arrested for being a Christian but r havin underground propogation of Christianity. Last year, even Time had article on this... the sleazy methods taken up missionaries, fake urself as mulsim n divert them. Lie to lead others to the truth!!! quite funny.

Goto Bahrain, Dubai... i would say non-muslims r havin the best time of thier lives there.

Would you rather be a Muslim in the USA or a Christian in Pakistan? Sudan? Iran?

Compare how a person who converts to Islam is treated in the US to how a Muslim who converts to Christianity is treated in those countries.

Yes, the US has its flaws and is working to overcome them. The US does not hide from the fact that it is taking place, that is why the government regularly provides details about such reports (showing a small number of incidents compared to the estimated 8 million Muslims that live here, although even 1 incident is too many).

Many non-Muslims are having a good time in Dubai and Bahrain I am certain. I also know Muslims that live in this country that tell me they wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Would you rather be a Muslim in the USA or a Christian in Pakistan?  Sudan?  Iran?

Compare how a person who converts to Islam is treated in the US to how a Muslim who converts to Christianity is treated in those countries.

Yes, the US has its flaws and is working to overcome them.  The US does not hide from the fact that it is taking place, that is why the government regularly provides details about such reports (showing a small number of incidents compared to the estimated 8 million Muslims that live here, although even 1 incident is too many).

Many non-Muslims are having a good time in Dubai and Bahrain I am certain.  I also know Muslims that live in this country that tell me they wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Peace be with you Livius,

Bias and haterd are masks wore by many of every race, creed, color, nationality and religion. On any it is ugly.

Peace.

Hi Yurt,

The truth is that these kind of crimes are everywhere. Unless it's a 'policy' of a country, you cannot blame the whole nation. Now, crystal sword started a topic about America, where statistics are availble, to illustrate anti-muslim crimes (as this is a muslim forum). You tried to turn it by saying non-muslims are also the victims in muslim countries. Well of course they are. But, unless you want to discuss a specific case or even in general, then at least bring some evidence rather than turning this into another blame game.

Hi Yurt,

The truth is that these kind of crimes are everywhere. Unless it's a 'policy' of a country, you cannot blame the whole nation. Now, crystal sword started a topic about America, where statistics are availble, to illustrate anti-muslim crimes (as this is a muslim forum). You tried to turn it by saying non-muslims are also the victims in muslim countries. Well of course they are. But, unless you want to discuss a specific case or even in general, then at least bring some evidence rather than turning this into another blame game.

I didn't, I just asked a question, you then asked me to enlighten you. Just doing what I was told. :D

Well you didn't give a very good example. You say people were arrested. This isn't exactly a hate crime. Unless of course you are saying that the police committed a crime by enforcing the law.

Well you didn't give a very good example. You say people were arrested. This isn't exactly a hate crime. Unless of course you are saying that the police committed a crime by enforcing the law.

Ok, I won't go off topic. So I will post a new thread about the violence against Christians in Pakistan, Iran, Sudan and elsewhere. Yes, committed by Muslims. That example was the first that came to mind and I am glad that all here have accepted it as being OK. No matter what you say, if you accept that, then how in the world can you complain about treatment in a non muslim country?

Yurt,

I don't understand what you mean about accepting one and complaining about the other.

Yurt,

I don't understand what you mean about accepting one and complaining about the other.

Oh, sorry about that.

I meant, that I find it confusing how muslims will complain about disparate treatment in the west, yet find disparate treatment against non muslims in their own land ok. I know, you will say, Allah has ordained it. Ok, then Allah has also said that if you are being punished under kufar rule, then maybe it is your fault. So then, why complain about so called disparate in the west, when your own countries persecute Christians, simply for being Christians. I guess I also do not understand all the reference to the Vatican City as a direct comparison to Saudi Arabia. Look on a map, the two could not be further apart in scope.

Further, not all the disparate treatment is ordained, rather, it is overlooked by local authorities who are powerless to stop it. If you don't believe me, just "you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.google(contact admin if its a beneficial link)"]google[/url] in words about christian treatment in muslim lands. You will see the truth of the matter then. The only difference, muslim governments do not dare post such statistics. Western government do. Why, because we want to change.

Yurt,

the whole Vatican/Arabia comparison means that both countries are holly to each religion. what would happen if Muslims wanted to emigrate to Vatican?

As for the complaining part, I don't think, just because there is bad treatment in a Muslim country, it should be Ok to treat Muslims bad in another. This kind of thing only provekes more violence and retalliation. People on both sides should just stop the violence and hatred.

Whoa! Hang on a second here. Who said it was okay to mistreat non-muslims in a muslim country?

I already acknowledged that these sort of crimes are everywhere. However, as this thread is specifically about hate crimes against muslims in America, I objected to you playing the blame game by saying,''Well what about muslims countries...''. In fact, this sounds more like you are condoning the discrimination against muslims in America because of certain non-muslims in muslim countries (although I don't believe this is the case, you did fall into the 'trap').

Statistics in the west are not there because 'we want to change' (who's we?). They're there because the west is generally more beauracratic than the rest of the world.

Ok, I won't go off topic.  So I will post a new thread about the violence against Christians in Pakistan, Iran, Sudan and elsewhere.  Yes, committed by Muslims.  That example was the first that came to mind and I am glad that all here have accepted it as being OK.  No matter what you say, if you accept that, then how in the world can you complain about treatment in a non muslim country?

"i once new a man, and this man did not take responsibilities for his actions, he taught his children that they didnt have to take resonsibility for thier actions, his children taught there children that they didnt have to take responsibility for thier actions......"

trying to justify inhumane treatment by the words "well they do it too" is a whopper of a distortion.

I think we all agree with Little Mahdi that all forms of such discrimination are ugly. Does anyone disagree?

I would agree , anti-muslim sentiment in the US is on the rise . And it will continue to rise , just as anti-American sentiment is on the rise .

I also agree that , "they do it too " is a sad excuse , but it is at the same time a true statement .

For when Americans watch what "they " are doing , or what "they " are saying , this only fuels the anti-muslim sentiment in the U S .

I would also qualify the first statement of "anti-muslim crimes " . There have been scattered incidents of property crimes and individual discrimination , but no personal violence .

Americans see these things occurring around the world , and while not initially holding all muslims responsible for the acts of a few , they do however look for a "general condemnation " of those acts coming from the muslim world . Many times this is not evident .

Indeed , what they do see, is that very attitude previously mentioned -" they do it too " or "they [the West or the U S ] do it worse " .....and that makes things even worse .

And I dont think that I have to recount the actual acts of violence that fuels these attitudes .

It is a vicious circle and it seems there is no escape . The rhetoric is only getting louder and more widespread ,and this is not good .

Distinctions are not made between the groups and the masses , and the world is fast dividing into two camps - this is a very bad thing ,for it precipitates war .

What both sides seem to ignore , is that we are all the same human beings , and being bombarded with the images that we all say , effects us equally and the same , and instill the same emotions which eventually leads to actions that we both will later regret .

The larger question here is , is this process stoppable ? , and can it be reversed at this late date in time ?