Islamic Forum
Yank

The 10 Commandments

Ok, all three major faiths believe God gave Moses the 10 commandments. I would like to know how how they appear in the Quran. That is I would like for one of you to post the ten commandments from the Quran.

PropellerAds
Ok, all three major faiths believe God gave Moses the 10 commandments.  I would like to know how how they appear in the Quran.  That is I would like for one of you to post the ten commandments from the Quran.

Asalmu'alaikum Yank,

May the peace of God (swt) be upon you. Ameen.

You offer an interesting inquiry and one that is clear to me can be addressed, dear brother when one understands that many Muslims have and had access to "all" the Holy Scriptures of God (swt) for our reflection and study. God (swt) offers to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) guidance and correction from the doctrines which had creapt into our dear brothers and sisters understandings of God's Revelation. I am not one who suggests that God (swt) did not safeguard his Word but He could not safeguard wayward men from straying from the straight path of His Truths. I am a student of all of God's Holy Scripture but I use the clear lens of my faith to see the straight path which leads through error, insha'Allah.

The Ten Commandments are safely found within the Jewish Torah and Jesus (pbuh) taught them succinctly in His Great Commandment. Would you argue that the Ten Commandments are not found in His Great Commandment (Matt. 22:36-40)? Jesus (pbuh) said “On these two commandments hang all the law and the Prophets.†Jesus (pbuh) spoke the truth. Truly friend, al-Qur’an teaches the same truths which was taught by all the Prophets (pbut). All ten are taught and found if you look with eyes that see and listen with ears that hear. Ameen.

Here is a link which compares the Old Testament Ten Commandments with what can be found in al-Qur'an. Peace.

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.religioustolerance(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/chr10cisl.htm"]Ten Commandment in al-Qur'an[/url]

Wa’salaam,

Edited by little-mahdi

So the Ten Commandments themselves do not appear in the Quran.

I don't think the 10 are in the Quran, even after reading the link. There is only one piece of stone carved by the very finger of God that sets down 10 laws, that is the 10 commandments. What you refer to as Jesus saying "the whole law hangs on these two premises, love thy God with all thy heart and love thy neighbor," should never be construed to devalue or supplant the 10 commandments. For Jesus said, "I have not come to replace the law, but to fulfill it."

Dear friends, the 10 commandments were the only thing hand written by God. Their importance can not be denied. Those who teach something contrary to the 10 commandments are not teaching the true word of God.

I don't think the 10 are in the Quran, even after reading the link.  There is only one piece of stone carved by the very finger of God that sets down 10 laws, that is the 10 commandments.  What you refer to as Jesus saying "the whole law hangs on these two premises, love thy God with all thy heart and love thy neighbor," should never be construed to devalue or supplant the 10 commandments.  For Jesus said, "I have not come to replace the law, but to fulfill it." 

Dear friends,  the 10 commandments were the only thing hand written by God.  Their importance can not be denied.  Those who teach something contrary to the 10 commandments are not teaching the true word of God.

hi,

yank i think you just dont want to belive in the the quran thats why you deny that the 10 commandments are mentioned in the quran, otherwise accoding to your statment you would accept that the quran is the teaching of God, so no matter what we show you now you will keep lying to yourself.

hi,

yank i think you just dont want to belive in the the quran thats why you deny that the 10 commandments are mentioned in the quran, otherwise accoding to your statment you would accept that the quran is the teaching of God, so no matter what we show you now you will keep lying to yourself.

Hi, I'm Yurt,

I am not lying. Show me where the 10 commandments are given in full in the Quran and I will believe you. Again, do not point to the two commandments that Jesus gave as a substitution, for as I pointed out above, you would be wrong.

I don't think the 10 are in the Quran, even after reading the link.  There is only one piece of stone carved by the very finger of God that sets down 10 laws, that is the 10 commandments.  What you refer to as Jesus saying "the whole law hangs on these two premises, love thy God with all thy heart and love thy neighbor," should never be construed to devalue or supplant the 10 commandments.  For Jesus said, "I have not come to replace the law, but to fulfill it."

Assalamu'Alaikum Yurt,

Would you suggest that through the practice of Jesus' Great Commandment one cannot meet the requirements of the Ten Commandments? Truly friend you are in error if you suggest to the contrary. You're own Apostles repeat this teaching of Jesus (pbuh) throughout their Epistles in the New Testament, yet not one repeats the Ten Commandment completely. Love, my friend does not wrong, and is the fulfillment of the Law. I speak the truth to you friend. If your heart is open, you will hear me and know that I am honest and speak the truth of God (swt). Ameen.

Dear friends,  the 10 commandments were the only thing hand written by God.  Their importance can not be denied.  Those who teach something contrary to the 10 commandments are not teaching the true word of God.

God's Words were spoken by the Prophets (pbut). Do you deny this? If God (wst) is with His Prophets (pbut) and His Prophets (pbut) write His Words, are not all the Words of God? Truly friend, all are God breathed. Ameen.

Wa'salaam,

Edited by little-mahdi

here you go yank

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.quran.com.uk/articles/ieb_quran_10commandments.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.quran.com.uk/articles/ieb_quran...ommandments.htm[/url]

I do not deny that they are refered to in the Quran, but they are not listed out in the Quran as they are in the book of Exodus. Also, it would appear that Islam only follows nine of them, as in Islam there is no Sabbath.

here you go yank

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.quran.com.uk/articles/ieb_quran_10commandments.htm"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.quran.com.uk/articles/ieb_quran...ommandments.htm[/url]

Barak'Allah Brother slave,

Truly Brother, your link is superior to mine. Astaghfirullah (I ask Allah's forgiveness) if I have failed to represent His Truth without the proper dignity.

Thank you Brother. Jazakallahu Khayran

Wa'salaam

Edited by little-mahdi

I do not deny that they are refered to in the Quran, but they are not listed out in the Quran as they are in the book of Exodus.  Also, it would appear that Islam only follows nine of them, as in Islam there is no Sabbath.

lol, why should they be listed? Islam is more complex system, just 10 lists on their own wont do, not only that the quran is not writen like any other book its got its own flowing style to it. besides in Islamic rulling it dont matter if its scatered through the book or in a list, wouldnt make a differnce its the fact that is it listed or not. and regarding the sabbath thats only for the jews not for other nations.

Assalamu'Alaikum Yurt,

Would you suggest that through the practice of Jesus' Great Commandment one cannot meet the requirements of the Ten Commandments? Truly friend you are in error if you suggest to the contrary. You're own Apostles repeat this teaching of Jesus (pbuh) throughout their Epistles in the New Testament, yet not one repeats the Ten Commandment completely. Love, my friend does not wrong, and is the fulfillment of the Law. I speak the truth to you friend. If your heart is open, you will hear me and know that I am honest and speak the truth of God (swt). Ameen. 

God's Words were spoken by the Prophets (pbut). Do you deny this? If God (wst) is with His Prophets (pbut) and His Prophets (pbut) write His Words, are not all the Words of God? Truly friend, all are God breathed. Ameen.

Wa'salaam,

Assalamu'Alaikum Yurt,

Wa'salaam,

Thank you for your replies.

Are you then saying that the 10 commandments were not written by the very finger of God into to stone as the Torah says?

More in next post...

As to the apostles, not one denied the 10 commandments. A simple one is Revelation 14: here are they that keep the commandments of God. If you imply that this refers to Jesus's two commandments, then you would be mistaken as to the context of the whole new testament which sough to uphold the old testament 10 commandments

examples:

Jesus speaking:

Matthew 19:16-19

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and [thy] mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Edited by Yurt

Barak'Allah Brother slave,

Truly Brother, your link is superior to mine. Astaghfirullah (I ask Allah's forgiveness) if I have failed to represent His Truth without the proper dignity.

Thank you Brother. Jazakallahu Khayran

Wa'salaam

Wa eyyakum :D

Paul speaking:

Romans 13:8-10

Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love [is] the fulfilling of the law.

Even Paul says that Jesus command was a comprehension of what those laws mean, not a tearing down of them.

Hebrews 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh [day] on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law

I could go on, but I don't want to preach. Just wanted to show the error of saying the commandments are not talked about in the new testament.

Assalamu’alaikum everyone,

Let me offer this friends…

To thee We sent the Scripture In truth, confirming The scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have We prescribed a Law and an Open Way. If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single People, but (His Plan is) to test you in what He hath given you; so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to Allah; it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which yet dispute. – al-Qur’an 5:48

If we must dispute let us do so in the “race in all virtues†to Him who reveals all.

Wa’salaam

Ok, it does appear that 8 of the 10 are in the quran.

2. Thou shall make no image of God. 2. There is nothing that equals (like) Him. (42:11)

No visions can encompass Him, but He encompasses all visions. He is the Compassionate, the Cognizant.(6:103)

"My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and protect me and my children from worshiping idols. (14:35)

This I do not feel truly supplements commandment number 2, for it merely refers to the fact that nothing can equal God in beauty, visions, what not. It never says to not make an image of God.

Also, the Quran changed the Sabbath, in fact, got rid of it. If God is perfect, why would he need to change one of his commandments that he wrote in stone?

So Islam is more complex than what God gave in the old and new testament? So God was just giving those other people simple stuff?

Ok, it does appear that 8 of the 10 are in the quran. 

2. Thou shall make no image of God. 2. There is nothing that equals (like) Him. (42:11)

No visions can encompass Him, but He encompasses all visions. He is the Compassionate, the Cognizant.(6:103)

"My Lord, make this a peaceful land, and protect me and my children from worshiping idols. (14:35)

This I do not feel truly supplements commandment number 2, for it merely refers to the fact that nothing can equal God in beauty, visions, what not.  It never says to not make an image of God.

Assalamu'alaikum Yurt,

If you have doubt about this, dear friend, I ask for you to show me "one" abuse you find in Islam of this Commandment? Truly I tell you that you will find none. Muslim do not practice Idolatry. Once again, friend, I speak the truth to you.

Also, the Quran changed the Sabbath, in fact, got rid of it.  If God is perfect, why would he need to change one of his commandments that he wrote in stone?

Let me say that you have also changed the Sabbath from the last day of the week to the first. Should we then say that Christians only observe 8 of the Commandments?

Wa'salaam,

Assalamu'alaikum Yurt,

If you have doubt about this, dear friend, I ask for you to show me "one" abuse you find in Islam of this Commandment? Truly I tell you that you will find none. Muslim do not practice Idolatry. Once again, friend, I speak the truth to you.

Let me say that you have also changed the Sabbath from the last day of the week to the first. Should we then say that Christians only observe 8 of the Commandments?

Wa'salaam,

I do not doubt that Muslims do not worship Idols. I just don't think that the second commandment was epitomized in that verse from the Quran.

As to the Sabbath, I would like to clarify that I am Seventh Day Adventist. We believe that God never changed the Sabbath day, rather, the Catholic church, whom has expressly admitted over a thousand years ago, to have changed the Sabbath. Their authority? Themselves, thus they are God's representative church on Earth. Btw, even Jesus kept the Sabbath.

I do not doubt that Muslims do not worship Idols.  I just don't think that the second commandment was epitomized in that verse from the Quran.

Asslamu'alaikum Yurt,

I see. Then perhaps I could ask you where you think we get this commandment and why we have seen fit to observe it faithfully for so long? Truly friend we have and had access to the Jewish Torah and the Christian Gospel for a long time. We know that Law of God (swt) and we walk in faith and in love when we walk the straight path with wisdom and generosity. Ameen.

As to the Sabbath, I would like to clarify that I am Seventh Day Adventist.  We believe that God never changed the Sabbath day, rather, the Catholic church, whom has expressly admitted over a thousand years ago, to have changed the Sabbath.  Their authority?  Themselves, thus they are God's representative church on Earth.  Btw, even Jesus kept the Sabbath.

Ah, so you admit that the Church took liberties with God's Truth. What authority did the Church use to add the Apostles' Epistles to the Word of God? Their authority?

Jesus (pbuh) was a Jew and a Prophet of God. We are not Jews. Tell me, friend, when were the Ten Commandments written, before or after Abraham?

Wa'salaam,

and regarding the sabbath thats only for the jews not for other nations.

Why was the Sabbeth only for the Hebrews?

Also, the Quran changed the Sabbath, in fact, got rid of it. If God is perfect, why would he need to change one of his commandments that he wrote in stone?

i didnt expect such a question from you yank, God does as he wills and he has knowladge of the why, but i will say 1 thing we are not perfect, the laws of the children of isreal are for them, the laws (relgion) we know now are for mankind ofcourse they will then be differnt.

So Islam is more complex than what God gave in the old and new testament? So God was just giving those other people simple stuff?

remember the differnce, Islam is to last us till day of judgment, the Islam the chrildren of isreal had was only to last them for a certain time.

Edited by slave

Why was the Sabbeth only for the Hebrews?

Assalamu'alaikum Yank,

Let me say that everyday is the Sabbath for Muslims. We pray as if everyday is the Day of the Lord.

Recall my previous post quoted from al-Qur'an 5:48...

To thee We sent the Scripture In truth, confirming The scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their vain desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have We prescribed a Law and an Open Way. If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single People, but (His Plan is) to test you in what He hath given you; so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to Allah; it is He that will show you the truth of the matters in which yet dispute. – al-Qur’an 5:48

To each among you have We prescribed a Law and an Open Way. Allah's wisdom is truly His own, friend. I am as awed by it's majesty as you are.

Wa'salaam,