Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Yurt

Muhammad In The Bible

I know this has been addressed before, however, there is always room to learn.

I have been in discussion with others in other threads (that are about to be called straight our for going off topic, which they somewhat are) about Muhammad in the Bible.

Even if this has been addressed (unless very recently) let us again approach this.

I await any responses with patience and understanding.

PropellerAds
Guest amani

Hi :D

would you like info on this?

well firstly in the Quran it says of Muhammed SAW being mentioned by Isa AS...i show you this first as you are aware muslims follow the Quran. ..

And (remember) when ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), said: ‘O Children of israel! I am the Messenger of Allaah unto you, confirming the Tawraat [(Torah) which came] before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad.’ But when he (Ahmad, i.e. Muhammad) came to them with clear proofs, they said: ‘This is plain magic

[al-Saff 61:6]

Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write (i.e. Muhammad) whom they find written with them in the Tawraat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel)— he commands them for Al-Ma‘roof (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam has ordained); and forbids them from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief, polytheism of all kinds, and all that Islam has forbidden); he allows them as lawful At‑Tayyibaat (i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), and prohibits them as unlawful Al‑Khabaa’ith (i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods), he releases them from their heavy burdens (of Allaah’s Covenant with the children of israel), and from the fetters (bindings) that were upon them. So those who believe in him (Muhammad), honour him, help him, and follow the light (the Qur’aan) which has been sent down with him, it is they who will be successfulâ€

[al-A’raaf 7:157]

NP is finishing off :D

Edited by amani

:D

Yurt, i think you for starting this topic. I hope to try to do all i can and what ever i can get my hands on, i shall present with deep sincerity! May Allah forgive me for any wrong that i committ! Inshallah!

Well let me start with something i have already posted and maybe, it was off topic there, but i shall reproduce it here with additional material!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) in the Old Testament:

The Qur’an mentions in Surah Al-Araf chapter 7 verse 157:

"Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures) in the law and the Gospel".

1. MUHAMMAD (PBUH) PROPHESISED IN THE BOOK OF DEUTERONOMY:

Almighty God speaks to Moses in Book of Deuteronomy chapter 18 verse 18:

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

The Christians say that this prophecy refers to Jesus (pbuh) because Jesus (pbuh) was like Moses (pbuh). Moses (pbuh) was a Jew, as well as Jesus (pbuh) was a Jew. Moses (pbuh) was a Prophet and Jesus (pbuh) was also a Prophet.

If these two are the only criteria for this prophecy to be fulfilled, then all the Prophets of the Bible who came after Moses (pbuh) such as Solomon, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Malachi, John the Baptist, etc. (pbut) will fulfill this prophecy since all were Jews as well as prophets.

However, it is Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who is like Moses (pbuh):

i) Both had a father and a mother, while Jesus (pbuh) was born miraculously without any male intervention.

[Mathew 1:18 and Luke 1:35 and also Al-Qur'an 3:42-47]

ii) Both were married and had children. Jesus (pbuh) according to the Bible did not marry nor had children.

iii) Both died natural deaths. Jesus (pbuh) has been raised up alive. (4:157-158)

continued...

Muhammad (pbuh) is from among the brethren of Moses (pbuh). Arabs are brethren of Jews. Abraham (pbuh) had two sons: Ishmail and Isaac (pbut). The Arabs are the descendants of Ishmail (pbuh) and the Jews are the descendants of Isaac (pbuh).

Words in the mouth:

Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was unlettered and whatever revelations he received from Almighty God he repeated them verbatim.

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

[Deuteronomy 18:18]

iv) Both besides being Prophets were also kings i.e. they could inflict capital punishment. Jesus (pbuh) said, "My kingdom is not of this world." (John 18:36).

v) Both were accepted as Prophets by their people in their lifetime but Jesus (pbuh) was rejected by his people. John chapter 1 verse 11 states, "He came unto his own, but his own received him not."

iv) Both brought new laws and new regulations for their people. Jesus (pbuh) according to the Bible did not bring any new laws. (Mathew 5:17-18).

continued...

Guest amani

.also

It says in the Torah, in the fifth book [Deuteronomy 33:2]:

“The LORD came from Sinai and dawned over them from Seir; he shone forth from Mount Paran. He came with myriads of holy ones from the south, from his mountain slopes [or: from his right hand went a fiery law for them].â€

(New International Version; alternative version of last phrase – the meaning of which is unclear in the original Hebrew texts – is from the King James Version)

This refers to the three Prophethoods: the Prophethood of Moosa (Moses), the Prophethood of ‘Eesa (Jesus) and the Prophethood of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). “Coming from Sinai†refers to the mountain where Allaah spoke to Moosa and called him and told him he was a Prophet. “Dawning over them from Seir†refers to the appearance of the Messiah from Bayt al-Maqdis (Jerusalem). Seir is a village that is still known there to this day. So this was a foretelling of the Prophethood of the Messiah.

“Paran†refers to Makkah. Allah likens the Prophethood of Moosa to the coming of the dawn, and the Prophethood of the Messiah after him to the rising of the sun, and the Prophethood of the Seal of the Prophets to the sun rising high in the sky and its light reaching all over the earth. And it came to pass exactly as foretold, for Allaah dispelled the night of kufr with the Prophethood of Moosa, and the light increased with the Prophethood of the Messiah, and was completed and reached everywhere on earth with the Prophethood of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

These three Prophets who were mentioned in this foretelling were also mentioned in the beginning of Soorat al-Teen (interpretation of the meaning):

“By the fig, and the olive.

2. By Mount Sinai.

3. By this city of security (Makkah)â€

[ 95:1-3]

2. It is Mentioned in the book of Deuteronomy chapter 18:19

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not harken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him."

Well my brothers let’s look the words “which he shall speak in my nameâ€. If one reads the Holy Quran, one sees that every Chapter of the Quran begins with: “Bismillah iRahman iRaheem†i.e. In the name of Allah, most gracious most Merciful!

One can see that the prophet of Islam spoke in the Gods name, just as the prophecy says! And for those who do not “harken†unto the Lords words, He shall require it of him! In the Roman Catholic Bible I think it say and I shall be the Revenger!

I hope you see what I am trying to show!

Let me continue on build upon what the sister amani earlier mentioned about the mount of Paran!

It is said in the Book of Deuteronomy chapter 33:2

“…he shined forth from mount Paran and he came with ten thousand saintsâ€

As you already know about the mount as mentioned by sister amani, the prophecy refers to the prophet of Islam and the even was the conquest of Mecca! Where came with ten thousand of his companions! Who are mentioned as saints!

W/salaam

I have presented some of the prophecies and i would be waiting for your comments on wha has been said, and what you make of it! and please pardon my spelling errors!

And may Allah forgive me for my wrongs, and guide me to the truth!

w/salaam!

Thank you for the info. I will carefully review it before responding further.

Salam

There is one interesting verse in the bible I would like to share with you:

This is written in the Gospel According to John from verse 19 to verse 21:

And this is the record of John (Yahya aleihi salam), when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him.

Priests: Who are you the Messiah/Christ?

John: I am not the Christ! (20)

Priests: What then! Are you Elijah (Ilyas aleihi salam)?

John: I am not!

Priests: Are you that Prophet?

John: No!

==============================

===================

According to this questionnaire Christ cannot be Elijah nor the Prophet.

Elijah is not the Christ and not the Prophet, but he is a prophet but not the Prophet. The Prophet is not the Christ nor Elijah nor John. John is not Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet although he was a prophet of God Almighty.

Question:

Who is that Prophet. It is obvious that Elijah and John are prophets but they are not referred as The Prophet? If Christians say that Jesus is The Prophet then it is not true because Jesus is not The Prophet but he is the Messiah in this context. According to Islam Isa ben Maryam is the Messenger of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala but according to Christianity he is not a prophet but something else.

If Jesus, the Christ and John the Baptist are not The Prophet then who is that prophet? The must be a prophet after the ascension of Jesus aleihi salam.

In many versions of the bible there is a little mark attached to the word Prophet. I saw it in the Lutheran German Bible and in other versions. This star is a footnote. In the footnote they refer to Deuteronomy chapter 18 verse 18:

Almighty God speaks to Moses in Book of Deuteronomy chapter 18 verse 18:

"I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

This means that the prophet like Moses is The Prophet. He must come after Jesus aleihi salam. Think!

Salam

Please stop referring to Deut. as evidence of Muhammad in the OT. One, he woudl not be considered a "brethren." Don't believe me? Do some research on what the term "brethren" meant. You will find that it meant fellow Isrealites, ie, those not of Ishmael's seed.

Further, Jesus Himself already answered that He is the person spoke of in that verse. Oh, does that contradict the Quran? I highly doubt it. Therefore, this is a "grey" area for muslims. The Bible says that Jesus spake and the He proclaimed Himself to be this person. The Quran is silent on this. However, muslims now have proclaimed this verse to mean Muhammad. This begs the question:

Why did Muhammad not identify himself in the same manner that Jesus did?

Why is it, that hundreds of years later, muslim scholars pore over this grey area to only discover, that yes indeed, Jesus lied, it was Muhammad afterall?

The Bible was changed....

This verse existed in Muhammad's time. Why did Allah not set the truth straight?

First tell me why cant the sons of Ishmael be the brethren of sons of Isaac?? telll me! with proof! and where did jesus say that he was the Prophet mentioned in the duet 18:18!

Let me repeat what the brother has said and try to understand!

The jews as we know are very strict about thier law! they know what they would be talking about, so lets see now!

there were three questions asked by the Jewish scholars!

1. Art thou the Christ?

2. Art thou Elias?

3. Art thou that prophet!

And he said no to all!

You see my friend the Jews were waiting for the fulfilment of the three distinct prophecies:

ONE COMMING OF THE CHRIST!

TWO COMMING OF THE ELIAS

COMMING OF THAT PROPHET!

So what do you think Jesus was, was the the Christ? or that Prophet mentioned by the Jews? Hope we are discussing not arguing.

And may Allah forgive me for all the wrong i have said, and guide me to the truth!

w/salaam

First tell me why cant the sons of Ishmael be the brethren of sons of Isaac?? telll me! with proof! and where did jesus say that he was the Prophet mentioned in the duet 18:18!

Let me repeat what the brother has said and try to understand!

The jews as we know are very strict about thier law! they know what they would be talking about, so lets see now!

there were three questions asked by the Jewish scholars!

1. Art thou the Christ?

2. Art thou Elias?

3. Art thou that prophet!

And he said no to all!

You see my friend the Jews were waiting for the fulfilment of the three distinct prophecies:

ONE COMMING OF THE CHRIST!

TWO COMMING OF THE ELIAS

COMMING OF THAT PROPHET!

So what do you think Jesus was, was the the Christ? or that Prophet mentioned by the Jews? Hope we are discussing not arguing.

And may Allah forgive me for all the wrong i have said, and guide me to the truth!

w/salaam

My friend, I have proof, however, I fear you may not accept it. Here it is:

Acts 3:

20And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:

21Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

22For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.

23And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

Need more?

John 1:

44Now Philip was of Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.

45Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

46And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.

47Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!

48Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.

49Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of israel.

50Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these.

51And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Still more:

John 5:

43I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?

45Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust.

46For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me.

47But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

As to Jesus denying he was the Christ:

Kindly check your references before posting things that are clearly false. We must all be aware of such dangers.

John 1:

19And this is the record of John, when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, Who art thou?

20And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

21And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.

22Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?

23He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias.

As can be clearly seen, this text is referring to John the baptist, NOT Jesus.

Peace

John is not that Prophet neither he is the Messiah nor is he Elijah.

Who Is "that Prophet?" This means that the Jews at that time were waiting for two people, a prophet and the Messiah.

If Isa ben Maryam is the messiah then the Prophet is someone else. This verse does not say that Muhammad is the "That Prophet" but is tells us that Jesus was not the last prophet or messenger and that prophethood did not end with the ascension of Jesus aleihi salam. The Messiah will come after the ascension of Jesus aleihi salam, but there will be another Prophet, The Prophet sallallahu aleihi wassallam.

The question remains who is "That Prophet"?

A Question:

Does Jesus aleihi salam that there are no prophets after him?

Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam was even foretold by Jesus aleihi salam but I do not have time right now to write it down now. My brain is already smoking, so I need some rest.

Prophet like Moses could also mean every prophet that came after Moses. Allah knows best.

Salam

Muslims call Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam how?

The say Rasulullah, The Messenger of Allah. Sometimes, we call him "NabeeAllah" - The Prophet. The Prophet is almost a name of Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam.

No one calls Jesus aleihi salam "Rasulullah" or "NabeeAllah".

Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam is The Prophet.

Edited by muhsinmuttaqi

[quote name=muhsinmuttaqi' date='Ma

14 2005, 02:36 PM]

Peace

John is not that Prophet neither he is the Messiah nor is he Elijah.

Exactly, so do people here attribute that to Jesus Christ?

The question remains who is "That Prophet"?

Well, most believed that He would be the Messiah. One and the same. That is why the so many jews were mad at him, because he did not conquer their earthly state.

A Question:

Does Jesus aleihi salam that there are no prophets after him?

Muhammad sallallahu aleihi wassallam was even foretold by Jesus aleihi salam but I do not have time right now to write it down now. My brain is already smoking, so I need some rest.

Well, to answer you, Jesus did say "beware of false prophets...." "they will call to you from the desert..." So yes, he did.

Prophet like Moses could also mean every prophet that came after Moses. Allah knows best.

Salam

Interesting point. You do know though, that this good equally show that Christ is the Messiah, regardless of whether He is the last prophet. There is absolutely NO mention in the Bible of a "last" prophet. If there is, kindly show me. For as we all know, Muhammad, had access to Biblical texts in the 7th century THAT have not been changed since. Why did Allah not perserve those texts? The ones that were pure, for afterall, they were his word, and Muhammad His messenger, spoke of His word.

Pace,

Jesus is the Messiah, but The Prophet is Not the Messiah. Why do they ask the question about the prophet after they already asked about the Messiah. Muslims believe that Jesus aleihi salam is the Messiah and Christians believe that Jesus is the Messiah.

Christ is Christ, Elijah is Elijah, The Prophet is The Prophet, and John is John.

Christ is not Elijah. Christ is not The Prophet. Christ is not John the Baptist

Elijah is not Christ. Elijah is not The Prophet. Elijah is not John.

The Prophet is not Christ. The Prophet is not Elijah. The Prophet is not John.

John is not Christ. John is not Elijah. John is not The Prophet.

1. John is Yahya aleihi salam a prophet of God Almighty.

2. Elijah was Ilyas aleihi salam, a prophet of God Almighty.

3. Christ is Jesus aleihi salam.

4. The Prophet is not Jesus because Jesus is already the Messiah. The Prophet is someone else, a person who comes between the first and the second coming of Jesus.

Why did the Jews settle in Madinah and not in Jerusalem or Syria where Jesus will descend.

Hi Everyone!

I've not really interpreted Muhammad (pbuh) in the Old Testament but I am not a Biblical Scholar so maybe I missed something... :D

Being raised Christian, we have always looked for the signs of Jesus Christ in the Old Testament. A lot of the Old Testament speaks about the coming Messiah. I've always understand Muslims agree that Jesus Christ was the Messiah of God. Some of the prophecies that some of you are questioning are of the Messiah. Jesus meet many of the very unique requirements to be the Messiah but the Jews were expecting someone a lot more like your Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). They were looking for a warrior king of "this" World to bring peace and restore God's rule upon the earth. There is a big difference between Jews, Muslims and Christians. Christians believe God's religion comes to individuals and those individuals then change their society. Jews and Muslims appear, at least to me, to believe that God's religion is a society which then changes individuals. It's really an external to internal change with Jews and Muslims but with Christians it is internal to external. This is a really big difference and it goes beyond legalist argumentation. Christianity is about individual internal belief in God. I'm not talking about belief in external rules, rituals, doctrines or even dogma; I'm talking about the belief that changes us from the inside. Without outside rules. Love, charity and fellowship can't be boiled down to simple rules, they each go beyond rules when they are truly manifest in our lives but this doesn't mean that the Law is rejected but internalized, fulfilled in love, which Christians believe is the fulfillment of the Law of the Prophets.

Peace 4 Real

Who Is "that Prophet?" This means that the Jews at that time were waiting for two people, a prophet and the Messiah.

Salam

Really? Do you have proof of this? Where is your authority? I wonder.

We belive that Jesus is the Messiah! ok. Wel believe that Moses did talk of him! most definately he did! now what i am saying is that this prophecy does not reffer to Jesus! ok let me lut it Simply!

Just answer this question;

was Jesus

1 the Christ

2 Elias

3 That prophet

? i am waing for you reply. I hope it would answer this question clearly, without creating any furthur ambiguities! and then i shal continue.

As for the Book of Acts where it is preciesly mention as you have quoted, the authenticity of it is question by the christians themselves. As for the others i belkive that he was foretold by Moses butt hat prophecy reffers to Mohammad not Jesus! i have proven it! But i hope to recieve you straingt answer to the question above!

w/salaam

And as for the proof that you have asked of her it is!

In the gospel of John (1: 20-22)

And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ.

And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.

Then said they unto him, Who art thou? that we may give an answer to them that sent us. What sayest thou of thyself?

The Jews ask him are you the Christ? He says no! Then they ask him are you Elias and he says no, and then lastly they ask him are you “THAT PROPHETâ€!

Naturally he could not have said I am the Christ! As there cannot be two Christs! Either he was Elias or “that prophetâ€! According to Jesus John the Baptist was Elias (Matthew 17:11-13)! As Elias had to come before Jesus! So John was Elias, Jesus was the Christ and who, I ask again, was “that prophet†that the Jews were talking about!

I hope you don not say that the Jews were not aware of the prophecies! And john too does not say that Jesus is the Christ and “that prophet†at the same time. I hope you understand, what I am trying to say.

So to come to the basic thing, who was “THAT PROPHET†that the Jews were talking about!

And may Allah forgive me for my wrongs, and guide me to the truth!

W/salaam