Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mansoor Ansari

Church Sign Sparks Debate

:D

Church sign sparks debate

By JOSH HUMPHRIES Daily Courier Staff Writer

FOREST CITY -- A sign in front of a Baptist church on one of the most traveled highways in the county stirred controversy over religious tolerance and first-amendment rights this weekend.

A sign in front of Danieltown Baptist Church, located at 2361 U.S. 221 south reads "The Koran needs to be flushed," and the Rev. Creighton Lovelace, pastor of the church, is not apologizing for the display.

continued here....

"you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.thedigitalcourier(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/2005/05/24/news/news01.txt"]you can't post links until you reach 50 posts_www.thedigitalcourier(contact admin if its a beneficial link)/articles/...news/news01.txt[/url]

PropellerAds

:D

Lets do Du'aa that Allah (SWT) makes things easy for the muslims.

its sick this.

If sum1 targets Islam, it brushes over after a short while.

one thing BY "a small group of muslims", Islam is blamed,

"Putting such a sign in a public place is an un-American example of intolerance, of aggressive disrespect for other citizens' deeply held views," said Donald Searing, Burton Craige Professor of Political Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. "This is the sort of attitude and action that seriously endangers the liberty which lies at the heart of our democracy. It is also a good reminder that just because one may have the legal right to say something, doing so may not be morally, socially or politically desirable."

At least Americans, including other Christian leaders in his town, are condemning his actions. They are not ignoring it or making excuses for this man.

At least Americans, including other Christian leaders in his town, are condemning his actions.  They are not ignoring it or making excuses for this man.

errm neverthless the offence continues...

i find it interesting how your're justifying this desecration

Thank you PTJ, I am by no means justifying it. I find it repulsive actually.

And the offense doesn't continue as far as I know. According to the story the sign changes every week and they had no intention of keeping it up longer than the usual one week period.

The man claims the sign was about the Bible being Gods word, something Muslims don't deny (the original unchanged Bible), but it was obviously a political statement reflecting recent news. I thought there would have been laws against this?

No, there are no laws in the US regarding religious speech. You can say whatever you want to about your religion and others religions. There are also no laws regarding political speech either.

Americans regard the sign as extremely inappropriate, but there is no call for legal action. He excersizing his right to free speech, which will always entail someone saying something you find offensive.

Pretty much as long as you don't urge violence then all speech is allowed.