Islamic Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Furqaan

Lessons of Ramadaan

Lessons of Ramadaan

Imam al-Haramain Sa'ud Shuraim

15, Ramadaan 1425 (29, October 2004)

All praise is due to Allaah Lord of all the worlds. Peace and blessings of Allaah be upon the Messenger, his household and companions.

Fellow Muslims! Fear Allaah as He should be feared and know that whatever with you of blessings is from Allaah. Seek the provision from Him, worship Him and show gratitude to Him. It is unto Him that you shall certainly return.

Dear Muslims! There is no meeting in this world that will shall not come to and end. The time is sometimes good and sometimes undesirable. And there is no perfect thing that shall not disappear in the end. Time in its cycles provides opportunities for the wise to invest in blessed things and make benefits.

Yesterday, we were anxiously expecting this blessed month and we are now into the half of it with records of deeds that have already been folded and in which we do not know who gained and who lost. Good deeds are a caravan that do not stop but continues forever. O you, who are looking for blessings, join us in this caravan or else you with those who stay back.

Brethren in faith! If one reflects over the situations of many people, one would be surprised and would be forced to ask: do these flocks of people really understand the qualities and essence of this blessed month? Have they heard the statement of the Messenger of Allaah that goes thus: "If Ramadaan comes, gates of Paradise are opened, gates of Hell are shuttered and devils are chained down"?

Would these flocks of people invest in this time in which Satan finds it difficult to do things he finds easy to other months? It is a manifestation of Satan's tricks that people should feel convinced that he has no existence in their lives. This wrong perception keeps one away from the essence of Prophet's saying, "Indeed, Satan moves in the human like the circulation of blood in his body."

This kind of dirty misconception gives some weak-minded people a sense of illusory protection against the pranks and tricks of Satan. They then convince themselves that their conditions are excellent and that they do not need to reform themselves or their societies, or that they do not have to listen to sincere advice.

However, what all Muslims must do in this month is to practice how to fight Satan and defeat him, for he who has strong faith in his Lord, he will certainly overcome Satan because the evil plan of Satan is weak, and he quickly runs away from a strong and resolute Muslim. Performing acts of obedience to Allaah continuously and frequently remembering Him defeats Satan. Then the Muslim's objectives will be achieved especially when he realizes Satan's weakness and that he is only big for nothing. A clearer proof of Satan's weakness is the Prophet's saying to 'Umar in the famous hadeeth, "By Him in Whose Hand is my soul, whenever Satan sees you taking a path, he takes another path different from yours."

What the Ummah agreed upon is that 'Umar was not any other religion other than Islaam and that he was never a prophet, a messenger or an angel. But he had strong faith and certainty and he was strong in defending the truth and subduing falsehood.

Brethren in Islaam! Allaah honoured this Ummah in this blessed month by multiplying in it the rewards of two kinds of worship that are not so multiplied in other months. The acts are: supplication for worship and supplication for request. Supplication for worship includes performing a lot of prayer, recitation of the Qur'aan, charity and remembrance of Allaah. All these acts of worship are done much in the month of Ramadaan. It is in essence a Muslim's invocation to Allaah to forgive his sins, accept his righteous deeds and save him from Hell.

The supplication for request is manifested during Qunoot, when a Muslim is breaking his fast, between the Adhaan and Iqaamah and invocation done at other times. All this is a favor from Allaah. We therefore congratulate those who make good use of these blessed days and woe unto him who still remains a captive to his desires.

The Ummah is really in need of the two types of supplication in this month because it is presently experiencing storms of crises from all sides. It is being subjected to attacks upon attacks. It is in a situation from which no one else except Allaah can rescue it. Now is therefore the proper time to escape to Allaah and seek for His benevolence, and to beseech Him submissively to correct our situations and to unite us. We have as a model the Messenger of Allaah. We he was troubled by the oppression of the of the leaders of Quraysh and their pronounced enmity for Allaah and His Messenger, he supplicated to Allaah during the battle of Badr that took place in the month of Ramadaan. He stayed awake in the night and fervently called upon Allaah saying, "O Allaah! I am asking you to fulfill Your promise. O Allaah! If this group [of Muslims] is destroyed, You will never be worshipped in the earth."

He raised his hand up to the heaven until his garment fell off his shoulders. Hardly had he put down his hands after this sincere supplication that Allaah accepted it and sent down angels to fight in support of the Muslims. Allaah says,

"(Remember) when you sought help of your Lord and He answered you (saying): "I will help you with a thousand of the angels each behind the other (following one another) in succession." (Al-Anfaal 8:9)

The Muslims from all corners of the earth are happy with this great victory and they are raising up their hands in supplication to Allaah to give them victory over their enemies saying in pain, "O Allaah! We beseech You to fulfill the promise that you made to us."

It is incumbent upon the Muslims to strengthen their relationship with Allaah, to sincerely seek refuge with Him for it is He Who decides and no decides over Him. It is He Who favours His servants by descending unto the nearest heaven during the last third of the night and saying, "Will anyone ask so that I can give to him? Will anyone call upon Me so that I can answer him? Will anyone seek for forgiveness so that I can forgive him?"

Nevertheless, there are many Muslims who, in spite of these opportunities, are still in a condition of despair and hopelessness because of some delay in the answer to their supplication. These Muslims feel that the situation of this Ummah will only be worse day by day. But we need to emphasize that there are things that hinder answering of supplications and the Muslims must keep away from these things so that they can achieve their aim.

Among these hindrances are: abandonment of promoting virtues and preventing vices or shying away from them. Abu Daawood and others reported that the Messenger of Allaah said, "By Him in Whose Hand is my soul, you should command virtues and forbid evil lest Allaah inflict you with a punishment and then you will call upon Him and He will not answer you."

Another hindrance is eating from unlawful sources. The Messenger of Allaah spoke of a disheveled and dusty man who was on a journey and held up his hand in supplication saying' 'O my Lord, O my Lord' but sources of his food, drink, clothing and nourishment are unlawful. "How then could his supplication accepted?" (Al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

Sometimes, supplication is not accepted because it came from inattentive hearts. This is because; making supplication with the tongue while the heart is inattentive is useless. The Prophet said, "Indeed, Allaah does not accept a supplication from someone whose heart is inattentive." (At-Tirmidhi and others)

The people of Basra entered upon Ibraaheem ibn Adham and they told him, "Why is it that for ages we supplicate and our supplication is not accepted?" He replied, "O you people of Basra! Your hearts are dead in ten things, how then can your supplication be answered? You know Allaah but you did not fulfill His right upon you, you read the Qur'aan but you did not put it into practice, you claim to enemies to Satan but you obey him and agree with, you claim that your are followers of Muhammad but you do not follow his Sunnah, you claim that you want to enter Paradise but you do not work towards that, you want to be saved from Fire but you are casting yourself into it, you claim that death is truth but you do not prepare for it, you are preoccupied with imperfections of others but you forget yours, you enjoy the favor of Allaah but you do not thank Him and you burry the dead among you but you fail to derive lesson from that."

Fear Allaah dear Muslims and sincere seek refuge with Allaah. Beseech Him with sincere hearts and in fervent hope, for in His Hand is the dominion of everything. It is He Who gives protection. Allaah says,

"Is not He (better than your gods) Who responds to the distressed one, when he calls on Him, and Who removes the evil, and makes you inheritors of the earth, generations after generations? Is there god with Allaah? Little is that you remember!" (An-Naml 27:62)

Fellow Muslims! Fear Allaah and be dutiful to Him. Know that you are approaching some ten blessed days. These days have blessings that are not in other days. It is in one of these days that you find a night that is greater that a thousand month. He who is denied of the blessing of this night is the real deprived. It is a blessed night therein decreed every matter of ordainments is decreed. It is a night in which a deed therein is better than a deed of eighty-three years. It is a night that whoever observes it with faith and in hope of getting reward from Allaah all his previous sins will be forgiven.

Allaah says,

"Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'aan) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is? The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months (i.e. worshipping Allaah in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months). Therein descend the angels and the Rûh (Jibrîl (Gabriel)) by Allaah's Permission with all Decrees, (All that night), there is Peace (and Goodness from Allaah to His believing slaves) until the appearance of dawn." (Al-Qadr 97:1-5)

Yes, many angels descend on this night because of the its much blessings.

Dear brethren! We need to exert efforts in acts of worship during these last ten days. it is Sunnah to frequently say during these days:

[Allahumma innaka 'Afuww tuhibbul-'afwa, fa'fu 'annee, Allahumma innaka 'Afuww tuhibbul-'afwa, fa'fu 'annee.]

"O Allaah, You are the Oft-Pardoning Who loves to pardon, pardon me. O Allaah, You are the Oft-Pardoning Who loves to pardon, pardon me." (Ahmad and others)

Dear brethren! Know also that efforts in acts of worship in these ten days need sincerity and honesty and following the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah.

I'tikaaf is also a recommended act of worship in the last ten days of Ramadaan for the Prophet used to do it until he died.

Pretension and extremism in an attempt to identify laylatul-qadr through unauthentic narrations or through some interpreters or dreamers should however be avoided. For no Islaamic rule can be based on any of these things, according An-Nawawee, Ash-Shaatibee, Ibn Taymiyyah, Ibn Al-Qayyim and others. Even the Prophet had been shown the night in his dream but he was made to forget it.

We should not reckon with the interpretation of some interpreters that the Prophet told his companions, "I see that your dreams are in agreement." This is because; the expression of the Messenger of Allaah is true and whatever he said was always supported by a divine inspiration, as opposed to others beside him.

Further, spreading dreams about laylatul-qadr among people is regarded wasting of time and one of the ways through which Satan ruins people's ambitions hence forcing them to be negligent regarding performing acts of worship in other nights.

What is confirmed and correct according to the scholars is that nobody can identify laylatul-qadr before it occurs. Its identification is rather removed from the knowledge of the people till the Day of Resurrection. So no one, whoever he may be, can identify it.

Al-Bukhaari reported in his Saheeh that Allaah's Messenger went out to inform the people about the (date of the) night of decree (Al-Qadr) but there happened a quarrel between two Muslim men. The Prophet said, "I came out to inform you about (the date of) the night of Al-Qadr, but as so and so and so and so quarrelled, its knowledge was taken away (I forgot it) and maybe it was better for you. Now look for it in the 7th, the 9th and the 5th (of the last 10 nights of the month of Ramadan)."

There is wisdom here for concealing the date of the night: It is to enable those who are seeking for this blessed night to work assiduously for it throughout the last ten nights. That is why the Messenger of Allaah would do I'tikaaf in the last ten days and nights so that he might attain it.

I would also like you to know that the most authentic of all that is narrated concerning the signs of that night after it has already gone is what Imaam Muslim reported on the authority of Ubayy ibn Ka'b that he mentioned its sign saying, "The sun rises in its morning bright and without any rays."

Probably, this is a result of Ubayy's exercising of his independent judgment.

It might also relate to the particular laylatul-qadr which they were lucky to attain in their time.

Brethren in faith! Fear Allaah and be dutiful to Him. Hasten to perform good deeds before it is too late. And march forth in the way (which leads to) for Paradise as wide as the heavens and the earth, prepared for the pious.

PropellerAds

:D

jazak Allah khairun to you both...

indeed...this should be read by everyone

:D

Salaam, :D

Mashallah nice post, verry benificial! :D

Thank you for sharing.